Macross Frontier opinions. Happy or upset with it?

unclechopchop

I really don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but I have to just get it out. After watching the first 10 episodes or so, I was pretty content with the show, but at episode 12, I felt like it really got lame. I mean what the hell was with the whole Zentradi thing? What was with Michel coming down on the planet with speakers connected to his vf? I do understand that the original series had alot of cheese to it, but c'mon, we were kids and had no real problems looking past that(Plus they made up for alot of that with DYRL). I just think this episode was a real step backwards. Macross 7 sucked, and everybody knows it. Macross Plus was totally awesome. Macross Zero was insane (good insane). They just kept getting better. I really want to enjoy this show, but it just was a big slap in the face to the original in episode 12.

Look, before everybody gets all riled up and pissed at me, just calm down. I'm simply stating an opinion. I just wanted to know if anybody else out there agrees with me.

Isn't this the second time you've posted this post?

Nevertheless, in regards to your question in the topic title:

Happy. For no reason other than that it made Macross popular. Sure, I'm grumbling about the glut of Macross related publications, but that's infinitely better than grumbling about a lack of Macross related publications. ;)

I really don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but I have to just get it out. After watching the first 10 episodes or so, I was pretty content with the show, but at episode 12, I felt like it really got lame. I mean what the hell was with the whole Zentradi thing? What was with Michel coming down on the planet with speakers connected to his vf? I do understand that the original series had alot of cheese to it, but c'mon, we were kids and had no real problems looking past that(Plus they made up for alot of that with DYRL). I just think this episode was a real step backwards. Macross 7 sucked, and everybody knows it. Macross Plus was totally awesome. Macross Zero was insane (good insane). They just kept getting better. I really want to enjoy this show, but it just was a big slap in the face to the original in episode 12.

Look, before everybody gets all riled up and pissed at me, just calm down. I'm simply stating an opinion. I just wanted to know if anybody else out there agrees with me.

I liked it. It felt like they just took everything that was great about the previous shows and then turned it up a notch.

Have you finished the series yet? The second half is absolutely amazing, IMO.

I don't think anyne does. Many people here had problems with Frontier, but speakers attached to Michel's VF wasn't generally a breaking point for anyone. In fact, IIRC, most people here loved episode 12, and it turned a lot of people who had been feeling iffy about the show into big fans.

Episode 8 was a much bigger problem than 12.

Also, your statement "Macross 7 sucked, and everybody knows it" has two factual errors in it.

I loved episode 12 - in fact, I loved it so much that I have written about 6 times in the DX thread that Bandai should make a Mikhael VF-25 with a Ranka figure, a stage set - and the DX should have a sound system - press a button and lights come on (yellow flashy stars) and Ranka's song starts.

I would also - since we're on the subject - love to have cuddly Zentrans in their armor with love-hearts in their eyes.

As for episode 8: it is one of my favorite Macross episodes ever. I absolutely love it. It is a wonderfully wonderfully perfect episode from the animation down to the panties down to the romantic ending.

Macross 7 was by far the best Macross series up to date - although this isn't written to detract from SDFM or Frontier - but just overall, it inches out ahead of them. Although, since Frontier is so fresh in my memory - I like to think of it as "the best" as well :) ...

I don't know what cheese you could possibly find in the original series?

Pete

If you didn't like 12, I don't see why.

12 is it paying homage to series of old. It's got the Mac7 reference with the speaker pods and the SDFM reference with the Zentraedi stopping to listen to Minmay... er... Ranka.

Past that, it's not stupid at all.

If you don't like 7, if 7 sucks, it has at least one redeeming factor: Totsugeki Love Heart.

And, honestly, if you don't like 12, suck it up, watch 13. 12 is the only... Interruption... to the segments of "normal" awesome.

Finally, saying 7 sucks around here is like going on about Robotech. People will not like it, and... Stuff will happen, and you will not like it. Ask the Robotechies and such. :)

Kira!! :lol:

One of the best episodes IMO, and I believe its one of the reasons alot of people here love Macross.

add: (to Ranka likers at least.)

Edited by adrianop

I agree that it is one of the best episodes of Frontier.

One of the main themes in Macross is that music and love (and cluture and kissing) can overpower these war-mongering aliens. That is cool IMO. And being a musician makes it even more so for me.

Until you have watched the whole series your opinion doesn't carry much weight, and I along with most everyone else think it was quite well done.

Did someone say キラッ☆!

dvr8d4.jpg

From the very beginning I liked Sheryl more than Ranka, but episode 12 was just so damn awesome!

I personally love frontier, it's actually tied with Mac+ as my favorite Macross production (with DYRL? a close 3rd).

as for Macross 7, I wouldn't say it sucked, I didn't like it, but I wouldn't say it sucked.

I get the feeling that with 7 you either love it or hate it. I tried watching it, and I found the premise as ludicrous as zero but without the cool mechs and awesome fight scenes. also 7 had basara *shutters*

:edit: by the way, the included pic is the cutest ranka ever

Edited by anime52k8

12 was a great episode. All in all, i liked Frontier, but it was not without it's problems. Namely impact and staying power. A lot of the drama, particularly surrounding Sheryl, could've been better. Of course, that's because she could've been better developed as well. Even Ranka had her miscues, though faired more consistently. The shipping war didn't help either. Though I must say I loved how it ended the triangle. They stayed true to Alto there. Frontier strikes as the type of show whose true merit is revealed on repeat showings. It's a odd one for me that a lot of episode were awesome to watch, interesting to discuss, yet overall almost forgettable. It's sort of an event, more than a show. So it's a weird little show for me, and now that it's over, it's over. It's like I both loved and reviled the thing. Though oddly enough, as much as I'm merely okay with the show, and unsure how I feel about the characters, I already have cosplay from it...

On a side note, great to see another Nadesico fan...

I loved episode 12 - in fact, I loved it so much that I have written about 6 times in the DX thread that Bandai should make a Mikhael VF-25 with a Ranka figure, a stage set - and the DX should have a sound system - press a button and lights come on (yellow flashy stars) and Ranka's song starts.

You know that Bandai are releasing a DX accessory pack with the speakers and a little Ranka figure.

Graham

OK. Thank you gubabba. I do not read japanese or speak much so wai kali mas sin (or something like that). What does キラッ☆! mean?

Who knows what it means? All that's really important is that it comes right before "Ride a shooting star" and is accompanied by the Ranka!

On a side note, I type pronunciations, and not necessarily correct... Type... It stems from me typing how I speak, so if it's read aloud, it sounds like how I would speak. So, excuse me if I type "Kira!" and not "キラッ☆!", AKA some Japanese characters I don't understand, know how to type, or care about.

Picard Approves!

post-9357-1232425925_thumb.png

I thought Mac7 sucked and that episode was a bit strange but it certainly didn't make me throw up my hands at the whole series.

I'll definately agree to that. I aint quiting. I just thought it was pretty lame. For the season to start off so cool, then just drop like that, kinda made me think twice. I appreciate somebody who doesn't want me to hang. Opinions just suck in general, but of course everybody else has a right to one (except me apparently). I'm not forcing any opinions on anybody, I just wanted to see if anybody else agreed.

I will definately finish off the season, no questions asked. Also, I did find the very end with the SDF-1 very intriguing. We'll see.

Opinions just suck in general, but of course everybody else has a right to one (except me apparently). I'm not forcing any opinions on anybody, I just wanted to see if anybody else agreed.

Please. A lot of people disagreed with you, but no one said you had no right to dislike episode 12. You gave your opinion, other people gave theirs. Fair's fair, right? ^_^

Please. A lot of people disagreed with you, but no one said you had no right to dislike episode 12. You gave your opinion, other people gave theirs. Fair's fair, right? ^_^

I've been getting bashed alot lately, so maybe I'm on the defensive.

I always took Macross super serious when I was younger. I just wanted everything after to be just perfect. Granted, that probably can't be possible, but I just though some of the past efforts were really really good.

By the way, why does everybody hate Macross Zero? I personally thought that it was great , due to its realism (Yeah flying robots...right, I know). It just felt a little bit harder than the others. DYRL was pretty hard, and I thought the grittiness of Zero was on the same lines.

So love me or hate me, I'm just asking some questions.

Thanks to everybody that is trying to help.

hahaha!!! aww man, i can understand some of the humor in your criticism about episode 12 and macross seven. Quite frankly, frontier had some great moments that really satisfies someone like me. Ya, i agree it had some "cheesy" moments but over all the series had a great storyline, the designs were amazing, and most of all it had some kick ass combat scenes. in my opinion, it seems like the top dogs of this franchise wanted to produce a new series that can satisfy every fanbase of macross by combing all the qualities the public liked in each macross story. for me, episode 12, was actually pretty cool. we got reacquainted with some familiar faces and the zentradi power suits were freakin tite! Not to mention the last combat scene when alto rips that zentran mecha into two! as for the michel scene....ya it was kind of cheesy but at the end of the 1st song...i couldn't help but smile cuz ranka was so cute!

as for macross 7...well, guys i hope no one flames me either but...in it's own right...it's kind of cool, however i couldn't watch the entire series because it just didn't feel like i was watching macross. Not that i have any right to say it plainly sucked, but i just wasn't excited over it, and believe me...i tried. the ironic thing is....my favorite valk is the vf17 ............and im not making this up. LOL. Now, don't get me wrong, theres some great episodes on 7 and dynamite such as the episode when millia flies in her old vf1a and when basara plays as hikaru in one of the dynamite episodes. some of the music was cool like seventh moon. ya, looking at 7 as a whole i can see why people appreciate it, but overall the series didn't appeal to me enough to honestly say i like it.

-rust...rusted valk...

I am sorry but I just have to ask...

uncleachopchop, is that you in that ninja suit?

And...

What does uncleachopchop mean?

I was wondering. Thanks.

Yeah, that's me. I'm a jerk, I know but....c'mon, I'm the white ninja!!!!

Nah, it was my Halloween costume this year. 33 years old, and just as equally immature as a 10 year old. C'mon, everybody wanted to be a ninja for Halloween once in their life. I just had to wait a little longer. Damn mother always dressing me like a clown or something lame. NINJA!!!!

Anyways. Unclechopchop comes from my absolute favorite movie "Chopper". It's an Australian movie about a prison inmate. It's Eric Banna's first major role in a movie. In my opinion (uh oh, I'm at it again) it's the best movie ever made. I mean Star Wars good. I mean Indiana Jones good. Well you might not agree to both of those, but trust me, it is a great movie.

hahaha!!! aww man, i can understand some of the humor in your criticism about episode 12 and macross seven. Quite frankly, frontier had some great moments that really satisfies someone like me. Ya, i agree it had some "cheesy" moments but over all the series had a great storyline, the designs were amazing, and most of all it had some kick ass combat scenes. in my opinion, it seems like the top dogs of this franchise wanted to produce a new series that can satisfy every fanbase of macross by combing all the qualities the public liked in each macross story. for me, episode 12, was actually pretty cool. we got reacquainted with some familiar faces and the zentradi power suits were freakin tite! Not to mention the last combat scene when alto rips that zentran mecha into two! as for the michel scene....ya it was kind of cheesy but at the end of the 1st song...i couldn't help but smile cuz ranka was so cute!

as for macross 7...well, guys i hope no one flames me either but...in it's own right...it's kind of cool, however i couldn't watch the entire series because it just didn't feel like i was watching macross. Not that i have any right to say it plainly sucked, but i just wasn't excited over it, and believe me...i tried. the ironic thing is....my favorite valk is the vf17 ............and im not making this up. LOL. Now, don't get me wrong, theres some great episodes on 7 and dynamite such as the episode when millia flies in her old vf1a and when basara plays as hikaru in one of the dynamite episodes. some of the music was cool like seventh moon. ya, looking at 7 as a whole i can see why people appreciate it, but overall the series didn't appeal to me enough to honestly say i like it.

-rust...rusted valk...

Episode 12 did have some cool stuff to it (the Queadluun Rau's are quite sick, especially with the new color schemes), but it was the speaker thing and the singing that can stop a battle. By the way, could you imagine one of those speakers in my car. Man I would be knockin!! Ha.

I just didn't like 7, due to all of the music based things. C'mon, flying a Valkrie by playing a guitar?? Alright, I guess.

Really though. I am glad there is alot of people that do like it. There's always two sides to a coin. Unless you have a double sided coin. Damn cheaters!!!