1/72 vf-1 bandai transformable kits

honkhet

I was thinking about picking one up just because they are so inexpensive. I built one ~20 years ago when Revel released it in NA as part of the Robotech line of model kits.

I don't think these ones were perfect transformation. You have to slide out the cockpit & nose cone assembly and replace it with one with the heatshield and leg connectors.

I've got an old VF-1J that I built when I was a kid and I've got a 1S, 1J, and 1A each in the stash. I think they were great kits at the time they were originally released and they are still good today. Fun to build and pretty easy too as long as you take your time and go easy with glue around the moving parts.

len_d69 that looks like a real nice build. I'd love to see some pictures with a little bit brighter lighting so that we can see some of the details.

Thanks for the extra pics. It looks great! Looks like you did a super clean construction job. The finish looks clean too (I'm sure the bright light washes out some of the weathering.) The battroid pic could be right out of the animation!

Those pictures do show one of the big differences between these and a Hasegawa valk. All the extra panel lines and details give the Hasegawa a bit more realistic and interesting look. These Bandai kits do transform though, which I consider a major feat of engineering skill especially for something produced with 80s technology! The fun factor of these kits is extremely high.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either an old school Bandai transformable or with a Hasegawa. Both kits will give you a lot of enjoyment of a great subject.

• 2 months later...
Hi, I am new to this forum. Now I'm building one variable type model (VF-1A).

BN

welcome to the forums!

thats good work ur doing there,

cant wait to see the final results ;)

these model kits are really nice,

and they even have the VF-1D in the range

and due to a recent reissue, are not too hard to find.

it'll be great to have some of these to accompany the 1/72 vf-25

welcome to the forums!

thats good work ur doing there,

cant wait to see the final results ;)

these model kits are really nice,

and they even have the VF-1D in the range

and due to a recent reissue, are not too hard to find.

it'll be great to have some of these to accompany the 1/72 vf-25

IMAI version are dream model when I was young. I was poor at that time and not own it. I only recently noticed that the Bandai reissue model are the same as IMAI one. -_-

It is quite difficult to find them in Hong Kong (1S, 1D, 1A) compare to those XXXX Gundam. All VF-1J (variable model) were gone (because not being reissue?). I am quite strange why no company issue new Macross model. Hasagawa only issue none transformable type. The Yamato versions are great but far too expensive to me.

post-11508-1238510684_thumb.jpg

Got one of it on workbench, Fokker's VF-1S. Currently now I am building Arii's Super Gerwalk kit, blue Max's fighter, but after it I'll do this pretty transforming kit. I don't show yet my Macross models to other modellers except my closest friends from Livejournal. I'd like to start showing it from classical Roy's Jolly Roger plane, cause Robotech was shown in Russia in early 1990-s on TV, and except anime-fans, everybody make a puzzled face trying to remember WTF is that "Macuros". But, when I show them kit with Fokker's plane - everyone smiling, while returning to their happy childhood where Rik Hunter with Roy were flying together from TV :)

I opened this kit firstly from my HLJ's box, and was surprised it's policarps joints, in usual time I built experimental WWII planes from very crude kits like vacuum-formed plates. And - all this tranformings, moving parts... I can't believe that this kit was produced in 1980-s. Like I missed the last train and don't know how to reach proper destination. I think, on next HLJ's sale I'll buy another one of this kit, maybe even two.

Edited by Tancist

Keep up the good work. I'm also building the same model bought a few months ago from Hobbylink jappan!!!!

In what color are you going to paint it?

I am going to paint it as blue Max 1A and build another 1S later. So this model is my first guinea pig. I want to build Hikaru, Max & Milla 1J also. However, they are not commercially available locally.

Got one of it on workbench, Fokker's VF-1S. Currently now I am building Arii's Super Gerwalk kit, blue Max's fighter, but after it I'll do this pretty transforming kit. I don't show yet my Macross models to other modellers except my closest friends from Livejournal. I'd like to start showing it from classical Roy's Jolly Roger plane, cause Robotech was shown in Russia in early 1990-s on TV, and except anime-fans, everybody make a puzzled face trying to remember WTF is that "Macuros". But, when I show them kit with Fokker's plane - everyone smiling, while returning to their happy childhood where Rik Hunter with Roy were flying together from TV :)

I opened this kit firstly from my HLJ's box, and was surprised it's policarps joints, in usual time I built experimental WWII planes from very crude kits like vacuum-formed plates. And - all this tranformings, moving parts... I can't believe that this kit was produced in 1980-s. Like I missed the last train and don't know how to reach proper destination. I think, on next HLJ's sale I'll buy another one of this kit, maybe even two.

My progress is slow as I always stoned by the model as it really recall too much childhood memory during building it. I love the design. You see, even now (30 years later) the Hasagawa type fighter do not provide movable, diecast metal landing gears.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the leg MOD, I've got to try that on my unbuilt example one of these days; it makes a huge difference in the leg's posability and improves the kit by leaps and bounds.

Another quick and easy MOD to add to these kits is waist rotation. Just saw off the nose cone of the battroid specific fuselage part and add filler plates with scratch-built peg and hole: a peg one on the radome and the matching hole with a polycap behind it on the fuselage side, and voila... a battroid that has dynamic wait rotation. The only tricky part to this mod is aligning the rotation axis just right so that everything lines up when the battroid is facing front, and a thin saw should be used so that you won't need to get extra kits to act as donors.

I bought one of these kits AGES ago at an antique store. In fact, it's what first brought me to Macross World back in probably 1999-2000. I think the one I had was a VF-1J Max-type. My first post on here was looking for spare parts since it was missing a couple. Ended up scrapping the idea of building it and just sold it to another member on here. That was around the time the first information of Mac+ Valks coming from "Toycom"... And the rest, as they say, is history.

Vostok 7

Love the leg MOD, I've got to try that on my unbuilt example one of these days; it makes a huge difference in the leg's posability and improves the kit by leaps and bounds.

Another quick and easy MOD to add to these kits is waist rotation. Just saw off the nose cone of the battroid specific fuselage part and add filler plates with scratch-built peg and hole: a peg one on the radome and the matching hole with a polycap behind it on the fuselage side, and voila... a battroid that has dynamic wait rotation. The only tricky part to this mod is aligning the rotation axis just right so that everything lines up when the battroid is facing front, and a thin saw should be used so that you won't need to get extra kits to act as donors.

Hi, thks for your comment. I thought about the waist mod in the beginning. However, when I play with my small revolttech VF 1S, I found the joint is not that helpful in improving the posing. In considering the operation is comparably big and the stability, I abandon the operation. May be I will build it on the next kit.

Recently I bought some 1:72 Bandai VF 1J kits @ ~US $3 during a local mega sale. This old and cheap stuff contain all the thigh joint and waist joint in the original design. Really amazing.

I bought one way back when they were new and I was very disappointed. The kits Bandai is doing for Frontier is a substantial improvement over those old kits.

So far Hasegawa has the best kits for VF-1's. They may not transform, but they've improved the molds over the years and are second to none!

If you want a variable VF-1, I'd suggest the Yamato line of toys. B))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...