Yamato 1/60 v.2 Hikaru Ichijo

EXO

Just want to give a thumbs up to the arms/shoulders debate, mines perfect (1S), tight and easy to swing out.

Dunno what the fuss was about transforming the v.2's into the different modes, what a piece of cake, and no unecessary force needed.

I've found that the 1S Hikaru is the best made of the valks so far. The only valk I've had tightness problems with has been the 1J, but that was only in the shoulders.

It could vary valk to valk though

• 2 weeks later...
What is it with all the limited weathering editions that Yamato seems to be releasing lately?

Simple...

Like a lot of toy companies nowadays, Yamato is getting maximum use out of their toy molds by regurgitating the same two or three Valkyries or Destroids in various color schemes and "weathered specials" to keep collectors hopelessly addicted. I've worked for Toys R Us for what seems like eons...and I can attest to witnessing this addiction firsthand. The easiest example I can give you is the Clone Trooper action figure from Star Wars. Since Episode III came out 3 1/2 years ago, we've seen the same damned figure released and rereleased ad-nauseum with red, dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green, gold, gray, camo, black, brown, purple and orange accents on the armor. Oh, and let's not forget just plain white. For a while, it seemed Hasbro had every intention of creating non-canon Troopers just so it could release ones in hot pink or teal. But the reason Hasbro did this was to make the most of a single mold with very little (if any) retooling involved. And hardcore Star Wars collectors (mainly grown men), would come in and buy them by the dozens.

Yamato is most likely following this same marketing strategy right now. Release the same old Hikaru 1J/1S and Roy 1S with a light weathering wash...and market the hell out of them as a Limited Edition series. I'm fairly certain that the folks at Yamato have their fingers on the pulse of how their products are used and displayed after they're sold...as any manufacturer would. When enough of their Valkyries and Destroids started showing up on customizer sites with weathered effects, it sent a definite message that there is a somewhat viable market for weathered mecha. And there are collectors out there who will buy them, even if they ARE more expensive than a Valkyrie with Fast Packs because its different from anything else in their current collections...and they may not have the skills to do the weathering nor know someone who does. The end result is a "new" limited-production item that had practically no added cost to make, aside from what had to be spent on the extra paint for the airbrushing.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

I'm going to list it as follows from what I can make out:

VF-1J Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijo Custom) (2nd Ver.) (Weathering ver.) (8/2009?)

HYPER HOBBY PLUS MAIL ORDER 2009 –- ???? copies -- Same as VF-1J Hikaru v2, but in a weathered paint scheme. Limited edition Japan mail order-only(?) release through Hyper Hobby Plus - Volume 6 released on March 24, 2009. Ordering deadline is May 11, 2009 with an expected ship date in August 2009.

If anyone has more specific info, please let us know! I have a question as to whether it is a mail-order or something else.

HYPER HOBBY PLUS MAIL ORDER 2009 –- ???? copies -- Same as VF-1J Hikaru v2, but in a weathered paint scheme. Limited edition Japan mail order-only(?) release through Hyper Hobby Plus - Volume 6 released on March 24, 2009. Ordering deadline is May 11, 2009 with an expected ship date in August 2009.

If anyone has more specific info, please let us know! I have a question as to whether it is a mail-order or something else.

Wow, these specail magazine exclusives are getting kind of crazy! Not sure if I like this one though.

I dont think that the weathering looks so great. Personally I would rather get a fast pack version and some Tamiya weathering master and do it myself. Limited edition does not turn me on because I do not collect in order to sell later, I collect in order to enjoy, take out, transform, display, repeat. Anyway if it makes yamato able to stay in business then good for them.

i agree... and based on reviews of the Weathered Roy 1S, their weathering comes off and sticks to your fingers when handled...

Limited edition does not turn me on because I do not collect in order to sell later, I collect in order to enjoy

QFT

whatever i buy, i will keep forever, mwahahahahaha! ^_^

Good that I've decided to skip weathered versions of the 1/60 line!

They are not as appealing to me as the 1/48 VF-1S too for some reason.

Same here except that I'n not really into the whole weathered look. I can pass on the 1/48 "Weathered" versions. Saves lots of money and space.

Plus the weathering on the 1/60 v.2 looks horrible. Waaaaaaaayyyy ooooooooooverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr donnnnnnnnnnnnnne. :wacko:

A blind guy with dark glasses B)) could have done a better job than this.

I think the problem with it looking so over done stems from the fact the 1/60 VF-1J is bleached white. The slightest smudge would go a long way on that bright-ass plastic. That scheme might have worked on something more gray/brown/or olive drab.

I think the problem with it looking so over done stems from the fact the 1/60 VF-1J is bleached white. The slightest smudge would go a long way on that bright-ass plastic. That scheme might have worked on something more gray/brown/or olive drab.

The weathering would have looked better on the test shot that Yamato originally received from the factory, which was a darker grey(it was shown on their blog months back).

Don't know if white plastic is really an issue. They can always pick a lighter grey paint for the weathering. Its just poor choice of paint color. Most Gundams are bright white, but you don't see them all showing up ugly and overdone, when its treated right by the modeler.

Edited by mpchi

Don't know if white plastic is really an issue. They can always pick a lighter grey paint for the weathering. Its just poor choice of paint color. Most Gundams are bright white, but you don't see them all showing up ugly and overdone, when its treated right by the modeler.

Well the weathering clashes with the plastic, visually, because the plastic is bright white, while the weathering is grey. If the plane was molded in an off-white or light grey, the weathering would complement the plastic, as opposed to visually clashing with it.

Well the weathering clashes with the plastic, visually, because the plastic is bright white, while the weathering is grey. If the plane was molded in an off-white or light grey, the weathering would complement the plastic, as opposed to visually clashing with it.

yup.

The problem is that the only weathering is the sprayed major panel lines. Real planes have the majority of their weathering "streaked from the airflow". Airliners are generally considered amongst the 'cleanest' planes, but it's still obvious that panel lines have nothing on "streaked leaks":

01.jpg

Somehow, that VF-1 looks "crisply and cleanly weathered". Almost like it burned at all the panel lines. Previous Yamato weathered valks looked better IMHO.

First rule of weathering a plane: "front to back". Unless it's old and spends more time sitting and leaking than flying. Then it's top to bottom. :)

I have some more info: it looks like crap.

First rule of weathering a plane: "front to back". Unless it's old and spends more time sitting and leaking than flying. Then it's top to bottom. :)

haha.

yup. the bright white clashes with the weathering

and it's too uniform. hikaru must always be doing

somersaults and roll overs. :lol:

Yamato should just release a light grey vf-1j ..that i,d buy,and take the colour sample from those beautiful box art from the 80,s models!!

Well since I own now the 1/60 VF-1A Ver. 02 Hikki, I'm very pleased with it and the QC is very good and stiff and far better in every way than 1/60 Ver. 01.

This is first time in over two decades that a VF-1 toy has really the feel and looks of the Anime counter part.

Good work Yamato, 9/10.

Pics coming soon.

Just bought this valkyrie, had a look.. and damn am i regretting now.... cos it just made me wanting to get more Valks from the 1/60 ver 2.0 line...

but it's a mini 1/48 with more articulation added in and if yamato could just add a bit more articulation on the legs, it's really gonna make this line a killer for the wallets..

:lol::lol: :lol:btw the QC arent bad.. and also i think it's more robust also.. in terms of playing, and it feels kinda light but on the right side....

Plus i like the Super & strike pack that comes with my VF-1S!!

And i am ordering the VF-1J cannon fodder!! hahahahahaaa....

damn... my wallet is going to burst soon... sighs...

Edited by eyesonme78

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I`ve transformed it three times, no problem whats so ever.

- Well it all depends how you treat it.

Awesome to read that. I was just worried about the arm issues the VF-1S had.

Just got my first v.2 1S Hikaru w/strike parts today. Yamato did a really good job on this, shoulders are fine didnt find any cracks. The only thing Im worried about is if I wanna change it to fighter mode, I had difficulty trying to separate the legs in batroid. Any tips on how to carefully separate the legs? I'll be posting the TV Max soon, just need to get used to separating the legs :wacko:

MacrossPics.jpg

MacrossPics005.jpg

MacrossPics007.jpg

MacrossPics016.jpg

MacrossPics017.jpg

MacrossPicsbat003.jpg

MacrossPicsbat001.jpg

MacrossPicsbat006.jpg

I'll be posting with some strike pack soon. Just need to get used to separating the legs help! :wacko: