best picture quality and sub macross frontier dvd set PLEASE HELP

unclechopchop

Hello everybody

Well I recently bought the Malaysian release of Macross Frontier episode 1-25 + 1 cd set on-line. I started to watch it pretty hard-core, watching the first 4 episodes in a row. That was until I hit around episode 5, where the picture quality turned to complete crap. Needless to say, I was pissed that I dropped money on this. Granted, I didn't expect too much, but man this just sucked. Ever since that time, I've been searching high and low for a really clean subtitled dvd set of this show. Does anybody know of any. I know that I can download this stuff. But I just wanted to actually get some actual dvd's in an actual set. I've also recently have seen a set that was released by FX. I have heard of their stuff in the past, but just wanted some confirmation as to whether I should get those or not.

Somebody please help me out there!!!

Hello everybody

Well I recently bought the Malaysian release of Macross Frontier episode 1-25 + 1 cd set on-line. I started to watch it pretty hard-core, watching the first 4 episodes in a row. That was until I hit around episode 5, where the picture quality turned to complete crap. Needless to say, I was pissed that I dropped money on this. Granted, I didn't expect too much, but man this just sucked. Ever since that time, I've been searching high and low for a really clean subtitled dvd set of this show. Does anybody know of any. I know that I can download this stuff. But I just wanted to actually get some actual dvd's in an actual set. I've also recently have seen a set that was released by FX. I have heard of their stuff in the past, but just wanted some confirmation as to whether I should get those or not.

Nothing outside of Japan.

You might want to search torrent sites like Tokyo Toshan for subbed video files.

Then get software like VSO's Convert X to create your own DVDs from them. That's what most of us are doing.

I think I have this same set. It comes with the OST 1 music CD. I found that the picture quality really drops off for episode 7. However the second disc the quality went back up. I didn't really notice a serious drop in quality for episode 5. I haven't watched the third disc yet so I can't comment on the picture quality for that. Overall the episodes are a little washed out but they are bearable. The subs so far are not that bad.

Hello everybody

Considering that only half the series is officially out on DVD, you might want to wait at least four or five months. Any current bootleg DVD set will of necessity have episodes taken off of the original broadcast, rather than somewhat revised versions on the DVDs.

Considering that only half the series is officially out on DVD, you might want to wait at least four or five months. Any current bootleg DVD set will of necessity have episodes taken off of the original broadcast, rather than somewhat revised versions on the DVDs.

Yeah, it did start at episode 7. I just couldn't remember which one earlier.

But yeah, I will probably wait for a little bit and then buy it again. I was just pissed because episode 7 looked really bad, but turned out to be one of the most entertaining. I am pretty excited about this series and just wanted to own some clean copies.

Anyways, thanks everybody for the help. If you know something about where to get clean copies, please post them. I'll do the same.

Yeah, it did start at episode 7. I just couldn't remember which one earlier.

But yeah, I will probably wait for a little bit and then buy it again. I was just pissed because episode 7 looked really bad, but turned out to be one of the most entertaining. I am pretty excited about this series and just wanted to own some clean copies.

Anyways, thanks everybody for the help. If you know something about where to get clean copies, please post them. I'll do the same.

If you need a quick fix, a fansub group called THORA is subbing the Blu-Ray versions, and they look spectacular. They're easy to find on Tokyotosho or nyaatorrents, or if you want direct-download, I think the getfansub wiki is putting them up.

(I have to wonder, though...why would the set start at episode 7, when it's episodes 16~25 that haven't been released on DVD yet...?)

Edited by Gubaba

If you want to ensure the series continues stop whining about OBVIOUS pirates and buy the real thing.

Legitimate subbed or dubbed episodes are light years away.

what you said doesn't really make any sense. If I want to ensure the series continues? I don't know why this has to get confrontational. If it was obvious to me that what I got was pirated, I probably wouldn't be so upset. And why would I buy the real thing when they don't have them selling everywhere in the states? And if they are, they sell for more than $60.00 and have no subtitles. I just want to watch the series just like everybody else. I really can't help that they don't release it in the states subbed.

Anyways, thanks to all the people that replied with help. And to you, keep being a keyboard crusader. Nobody cares.

If you had bothered to keep up with the other threads (or checked the official web site) that have addressed this issue in the past you would have known that the official releases have not reached the end of the series yet, so anything you purchased that had all the episodes WOULD be a pirate.

Sorry for trying to defend the series from pirates :(

If you had bothered to keep up with the other threads (or checked the official web site) that have addressed this issue in the past you would have known that the official releases have not reached the end of the series yet, so anything you purchased that had all the episodes WOULD be a pirate.

Sorry for trying to defend the series from pirates :(

I'll agree to a point that pirating sucks to an extent. But I think Metallica sucks even more for making a grand effort to stop it. Let the rich get richer, and the poor, well keep them poor. Chances are if they couldn't afford it in the first place, they probably wouldn't buy it. And if they did download it, maybe they would tell a whole bunch of other people that might go buy it then.

Yes pirating sucks when it comes to this cheap crap I bought. But so do the Japanese for making such a grand effort not to release to it's greatest fan base which is mainly based in America.

Seriously. What do you expect people to do over here? Have some serious pride and watch a show that they can't even understand?I don't think that I will be taking any Japanese classes any time soon.

By the way, my screen name pays serious homage one of your nations heroes. So why pick on me? If you don't know who I am talking about, check out the movie Chopper. GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!

By the way. JapanTown in San Francisco even sells these so called pirated versions. They just want to give people what they want. It just sucks that some of it is garbage.

I'll agree to a point that pirating sucks to an extent. But I think Metallica sucks even more for making a grand effort to stop it. Let the rich get richer, and the poor, well keep them poor. Chances are if they couldn't afford it in the first place, they probably wouldn't buy it. And if they did download it, maybe they would tell a whole bunch of other people that might go buy it then.

Yes pirating sucks when it comes to this cheap crap I bought. But so do the Japanese for making such a grand effort not to release to it's greatest fan base which is mainly based in America.

Seriously. What do you expect people to do over here? Have some serious pride and watch a show that they can't even understand?I don't think that I will be taking any Japanese classes any time soon.

By the way, my screen name pays serious homage one of your nations heroes. So why pick on me? If you don't know who I am talking about, check out the movie Chopper. GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!

By the way. JapanTown in San Francisco even sells these so called pirated versions. They just want to give people what they want. It just sucks that some of it is garbage.

I think the point that people are trying to make here is that you can't really complain about quality if you buy pirated goods-- well you can complain, but you'd just sound whiny. Poor quality should be expected when you buy pirated. No one is condemning you for buying pirated goods because almost everybody here watched the fansubs anyway. But, if you want to watch your anime in better quality, make a little effort and download the good fansubs-- and buy the subbed/dubbed DVDs when/if they come out!

what you said doesn't really make any sense. If I want to ensure the series continues? I don't know why this has to get confrontational. If it was obvious to me that what I got was pirated, I probably wouldn't be so upset. And why would I buy the real thing when they don't have them selling everywhere in the states? And if they are, they sell for more than $60.00 and have no subtitles. I just want to watch the series just like everybody else. I really can't help that they don't release it in the states subbed.

Anyways, thanks to all the people that replied with help. And to you, keep being a keyboard crusader. Nobody cares.

Oh, I think A LOT of us care. Personally, I haven't bought the Frontier DVDs yet, but I will if I ever see them used in an Akihabara "Liberty" shop or something. I do, however, buy two copies of every issue of Chronicle, and while I'm kinda sorta working on a scanlation of it, I definitely won't share it until the magazine is all sold out everywhere. I'll do the same for Macross Ace.

And I'm sorry you got "taken," but I think it should be clear that Malaysian versions are bootlegs, just like Hong Kong versions.

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't have a U.S. release, but a south Asian release has English subtitles, it's a bootleg.

The quality was exactly what I expected. I just wanted something I could watch on my TV. The subbed episodes I downloaded, I have no way of putting them to DVD (computer is old POS). So yeah griping about picture quality on a boot is a little much. As I said episode 7 is the worst, the other episodes seem OK, they don't look any worse then old Robotech DVD's for picture quality. The subs are not that bad either, so I am actually happy with having a real cheap version of MacrossF on DVD for the time being until everything is released.

Edited by valk1j

Just to give you an idea on how ignorant that statement is, the people who make anime are not "rich." A few might be, but when you have 80% of voice-actors forced to work part time jobs, it's safe to say that the rich aren't getting richer when they sell anime... they're just making a living.

Anime producers are Japanese and their largest and most immediate fanbases are in Japan, not America. In recent years there's been more of an acknowledgment of overseas fans, but anime is still made for Japanese audiences first and foremost.

Anime isn't a right, dude.

I think that most of us in the US buy bootlegs, because that is all we can get for a while, but buy the official stuff as soon as it is available subbed/ or dubbed. I know I do. I have several SDF Macross, Mac Plus, Gundam, etc. I think the TS was just looking for opinions on which available bootleg was / is the best. Just my .02 B))

I think that most of us in the US buy bootlegs, because that is all we can get for a while, but buy the official stuff as soon as it is available subbed/ or dubbed. I know I do. I have several SDF Macross, Mac Plus, Gundam, etc. I think the TS was just looking for opinions on which available bootleg was / is the best. Just my .02 B))

Jeez, finally somebody gets what I was asking for.

I have no idea why all of these people have to go on to so many different tangents that have nothing to do with what I was innitially asking.

Finally somebody with sense!!

Jeez, finally somebody gets what I was asking for.

I have no idea why all of these people have to go on to so many different tangents that have nothing to do with what I was innitially asking.

Finally somebody with sense!!

And my point was that all bootlegs have the same problem--they use what what broadcast, and the animation quality for the broadcast dropped noticeably around episode 7. Hence why I encouraged you to spend some time to download the BD fansubs by Thora. How is that a tangent?

Actually I would advise you to check out the BD rip releases by QYQ, they are also up to episode 13 (BD vol.5) but they also include scans of the booklet and the BD menus so you could actually build your own DVD, and any video extras.

Oh and unlike THORA their vol. 1 includes all 3 versions of the first episode.

Actually I would advise you to check out the BD rip releases by QYQ, they are also up to episode 13 (BD vol.5) but they also include scans of the booklet and the BD menus so you could actually build your own DVD, and any video extras.

Oh and unlike THORA their vol. 1 includes all 3 versions of the first episode.

...which is strange because I thought the DVD itself only had two of those versions...

And that's fine by me. The Deculture Edition has some better transitions, and better-placed music cues...but now that the Yack Deculture version is available, I see no reason to check out the broadcast version of episode one, unless you really, really need to hear "Aimo" one more time.

I've also recently have seen a set that was released by FX. I have heard of their stuff in the past, but just wanted some confirmation as to whether I should get those or not.

This is my first post on this forum, and I had some input, so here goes:

I just recently got the FX DVDs of Macross Frontier and while I've only really watched in their entirety Episodes 1-3, I scanned over the rest of the discs to take a look at the picture quality and I have to say that they are really quite good. I noticed no pixelation or artifacting of the image. Now granted, I have a regular, non-HDTV, but the image quality I found to be as good as anything I've seen.

If I had any real criticism at all about them so far, it's with the subs. Sometimes they have an error where lowercase L's become lowercase I's (for ex: Alto becomes Aito.) Also, I'm very much used to watching subtitled stuff, but even I find that the subs sometimes are not on screen long enough to read them when the dialogue gets flying. ^_^ Nothing that a quick rewind/rewatch can't fix.

Otherwise, a pretty awesome set for what I paid for it ($25), albeit, no extra Soundtrack disc. But this may be much better than the Malay one you have and I'd say the packaging is also pretty nice on this one.

My two pennies.

Edited by Dyson's Chicken

Macross%20Frontier%20DVD%201.JPG

Macross%20Frontier%20DVD%202.JPG

Macross%20Frontier%20DVD%203.JPG

I searched the internet and found this DVD boxset from a Malaysia seller on Ebay.

The casing of the DVD boxset is well decorated and it comes free OST CD. I'm not sure if it is a bootleg but at least the DVD has Malaysia censorship and authenticity seal. The back of DVD casing also has the distributor's name and address printed.

Macross Frontier is really enchanting and this is the best anime I have watched in recent years. It a norm that Macross anime would have numerous OST and Macross frontier really mesmerises me with beautiful songs by May'n & Megumi. Since the anime is a production of Macross 25th Anniversary project, it catered to fans with a lot of scenes that were similar or familiar to previous Macross animes.

I guess Alto was like playing the role of Hikaru trap in the love triangle between Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee. Michael and Klan were alike Max & Millia. Don't you think the first time Alto rescuing Ranka is similar to Hikaru rescuing Minmay in VF-1D. A lot of elements like Macross Attack and Macross Cannon, and Minmay Attack were featured in Macross Frontier.

In the original Macross Super Dimensional Fortress, Max is the one going after Millia but in Macross Frontier, Klan is the one taking the approach. Ironically, this time round, Ranka sang the iconic 'Minmay DYRL songs' against the Macross fleet.

Apart from VF-25, Macross Frontier also recap mechs you see in previous Macross anime/games like defender destroid similar to Macross Zero, Queadluun-Rau from Macross DYRL and best of all, Konig Monster from Macross VFX.

I searched the internet and found this DVD boxset from a Malaysia seller on Ebay.

The casing of the DVD boxset is well decorated and it comes free OST CD. I'm not sure if it is a bootleg but at least the DVD has Malaysia censorship and authenticity seal. The back of DVD casing also has the distributor's name and address printed.

It's a bootleg. The waterproof giveaway is that the official Japanese release hasn't gone past episode 16 yet. So a full series legit box-set is an impossibility. Video quality will probably start to suffer after the first eps as the later eps will be TV-rips.

Hmm, seems to be this one? http://www.nineoverten.com/2008/10/21/macr...-boxset-review/

explains the seals..

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

I'm not sure if it is a bootleg but at least the DVD has Malaysia censorship and authenticity seal. The back of DVD casing also has the distributor's name and address printed.

1st Rule of Thumb: If the original DVD set isn't complete, it's a bootleg.

2nd Rule of Thumb: If there are more than five or six episodes per disc, it's a bootleg.

3rd Rule of Thumb: If it comes from Italy, China, Taiwan, or Southeast Asia, it's a bootleg.

4th Rule of Thumb: If the price comes out to less than fifteen dollars per disc, and the anime is something new and hot, then it's a bootleg.

Just checked out the FX set, and it is pretty nice for what it is. Obviously still a TV rip, and as such, the picture is somewhat soft, but it's better than the others I've seen, if by no other virtue then it doesn't push the eps per disc past 9. With that said, there are some flaws, the subtitles have a lazily huge font, and so far rushing through the set, looks like the timing on episode 8 is off, they forgot to account for the pre-ep advertisement. But it uses a good translation (I wish they'd taken a script that good for the old FX 7 set), and things look like they stay pretty consistent. Only oddities are the first disc it seems, aside from the timing issue on ep 8, the first disc doesn't seem to like responding to the menu button, and I've no idea what anime the silkscreen image is taken from.