Robotech Comics

RavenHawk

That sounds a bit out of character for him, maybe the author thought the same thing after writing those paragraphs and decided to backtrack on it.

Got a a question, I think there are five Sentinels novels and then there is end of circle i believe,

is end of circle part of the Sentinels storyline or is it completely different story?

It is pretty much the completion of the whole series (even though it came out before Zentraedi Rebellion and Master's Gambit). So, it is part of the Sentinels storyline, but also New Gen and Master's (and, by extension, Macross).

RavenHawk, You mentioned a time line in issue 0 of Sentinels, In my Sentinels comics I received yesterday I think it was in the sentinels illustrated handbook number 3 had a timeline it, if you have checked it out does it have the same time line as in Issue #0? The timeline in the illustrated handbook ended i think where the original robotech series ended.

No, I just looked at both, and it is completely different. The one in Book Four #0 is MUCH more detailed. The whole issue is just the timeline, stretched over 20-some-odd pages, with small illustrations.

It is pretty much the completion of the whole series (even though it came out before Zentraedi Rebellion and Master's Gambit). So, it is part of the Sentinels storyline, but also New Gen and Master's (and, by extension, Macross).

What is your opinion on that novel?

No, I just looked at both, and it is completely different. The one in Book Four #0 is MUCH more detailed. The whole issue is just the timeline, stretched over 20-some-odd pages, with small illustrations.

Wow a 20 page timeline, wonder who who came up that one.

What is your opinion on that novel?

It seems that the majority of people disliked it, however I actually liked it.

I thought it was well written, and if you read it after reading the others, as you're meant to, it really gives a feel of completion to the whole story/cycle.

If you look at it as a standalone, and not Robotech, it's well written scifi and I think a lot of the detractors of the book would actually like it.

There are some elements of it a little more metaphysical and, to be honest, these were my less favorite parts of the book, however, interestingly enough, these are the elements that were directly taken from what Carl Macek wanted to have take place after Sentinels (in The Odyssey).

I read this book in my early/mid 20's, and have to say it really does lend itself to making you think about a lot more in life than you would expect to get out of a Robotech book.

Overall, personally I recommend it, but understand why a lot of Robotech fans don't like it.

It seems that the majority of people disliked it, however I actually liked it.

I thought it was well written, and if you read it after reading the others, as you're meant to, it really gives a feel of completion to the whole story/cycle.

If you look at it as a standalone, and not Robotech, it's well written scifi and I think a lot of the detractors of the book would actually like it.

There are some elements of it a little more metaphysical and, to be honest, these were my less favorite parts of the book, however, interestingly enough, these are the elements that were directly taken from what Carl Macek wanted to have take place after Sentinels (in The Odyssey).

I read this book in my early/mid 20's, and have to say it really does lend itself to making you think about a lot more in life than you would expect to get out of a Robotech book.

Overall, personally I recommend it, but understand why a lot of Robotech fans don't like it.

Seconded.

• 2 weeks later...
Fourth. :D

Make this a fifth, I just read it a few weeks back and found it to be the best book of the lot, it even filled in some silly holes from the sentinels books. (I'll not mention them so as not to spoil anything).

The book is the least "Robotechy" of the lot though - much less combat (although still plenty) and more of the plot driven along by other events (which I liked)

Has anyone read the Robotech: The Untold Story comic book?

Unfortunately, yes and trust me it's worst than the movie itself. It was 2-part series (maybe because Academy was about to lose their license to Antarctic); the 1st issue is pretty much faithful to the first halve of the movie but the 2nd issue goes off on a weird and unnecessary tangent.

Unfortunately, yes and trust me it's worst than the movie itself. It was 2-part series (maybe because Academy was about to lose their license to Antarctic); the 1st issue is pretty much faithful to the first halve of the movie but the 2nd issue goes off on a weird and unnecessary tangent.

The second issue is pretty much all original. I don't know if it is original to the writers, or original to what Carl Macek wanted but wasn't able to put in because of the animation. I suspect it's the former.

The second issue is pretty much all original. I don't know if it is original to the writers, or original to what Carl Macek wanted but wasn't able to put in because of the animation. I suspect it's the former.

Carl Macek had a policy of giving licensees total freedom in their own creations. That's why there was a lot of conflict between the Robotech novel, RPG, and comic universes because they really didn't connect well. Carl Macek's original vision of RT the movie was more or less close to MZ23 (just with a little Macross mixed in). I'm sure more of the MZ23 footage would've been retained. Just a new opening of the SDF-01 leaving Earth would've been added to set it during the Macross Saga.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Carl Macek had a policy of giving licensees total freedom in their own creations. That's why there was a lot of conflict between the Robotech novel, RPG, and comic universes because they really didn't connect well.

This may be true, but it seems that:

The RPGs just didn't whatever they wanted, like fanfics.

The comics initially followed the novels, but then went off on their own and did whatever they wanted.

The novels, from interviews with the surviving author and with Carl Macek himself, actually followed Macek's vision pretty closely. They consulted with him quite a bit. In fact, a lot of the details that differed between the novels and the animation, which so many hardcore fans complain about (like the thinking caps, not to mention End of the Circle in its entirety) were based on things that Macek WANTED in the original Robotech, but the existing animation simply didn't allow for.

The novels, from interviews with the surviving author and with Carl Macek himself, actually followed Macek's vision pretty closely. They consulted with him quite a bit. In fact, a lot of the details that differed between the novels and the animation, which so many hardcore fans complain about (like the thinking caps, not to mention End of the Circle in its entirety) were based on things that Macek WANTED in the original Robotech, but the existing animation simply didn't allow for.

He keeps talking about stuff he wanted from Robotech but had no existing animation for them, if that was a problem maybe he should have invented time and money making his own animation and the like. You think Macek's original version of Robotech would have been as successful as what everyone eventually got?

He keeps talking about stuff he wanted from Robotech but had no existing animation for them, if that was a problem maybe he should have invented time and money making his own animation and the like. You think Macek's original version of Robotech would have been as successful as what everyone eventually got?

Probably not (actually probably less successful), but I think it would have been more interesting.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic: I found this little entry in my Encyclopedia of Super-Heroes in the international heroes chapter.

Wow, doesn't sound like the writer even had access to a clip from the show...

Wow, doesn't sound like the writer even had access to a clip from the show...

Well, he's sorta/kinda right; the Mospeada did give the wearer abilities he wouldn't or couldn't normally do. It was strange seeing that entry in a super-hero encyclopedia but the chapter listed many international heroes from film and tv.

Well, he's sorta/kinda right; the Mospeada did give the wearer abilities he wouldn't or couldn't normally do. It was strange seeing that entry in a super-hero encyclopedia but the chapter listed many international heroes from film and tv.

Yeah, but there were a bunch of shows in the '80s that featured computerized exoskeleton suits which gave the wearers special abilities. You'd figure the author would at least mention the fact that they transformed into motorcycles to distinguish them a little.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry people, I promised to finally do a review of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, and I've spent the last month distracted with anime, work, kids, life...

Anyone want me to get back to it and finish off reviewing the last few Robotech comics that I haven't covered yet, including Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles?

Sorry people, I promised to finally do a review of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, and I've spent the last month distracted with anime, work, kids, life...

Anyone want me to get back to it and finish off reviewing the last few Robotech comics that I haven't covered yet, including Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles?

I enjoyed reading your reviews and If you had time I wouldn't mind reading your review of Prelude to Shadow Chronicles.

• 14 years later...

Who'd have thought the Robotech comics would be so hard-up for new material they'd tap the failed Robotech tabletop game for material?

On second thought, I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to start scraping the bottom of that particular sewage barrel for ideas.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow. They should've hired Kawamori to do some mecha designs. :spiteful:

They literally can't afford him.  They never could.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

They should have hired anybody else other than the guy they hired 

Beggars can't be choosers.