Official Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Thread

Graham

There are some really talented photographers and some really cool poses in this thread....why are there so many crappy pictures and unimaginative poses in the "Strike a Pose" thread? Over there, all I ever see are these stupid photoshopped captions and photos taken with a webcams or phone cameras. There's some real talent over here, you guys gotta go out and take some pics of Valks too!

Edited by peter

Sometimes "official" announcements (of which there NEVER are when things are discontinued or put on hold) have to come via common sense. It's been forever since we've heard about this toy and none of us own it yet. That means it's officially on hold. Then you have to ask yourself "what does 'on hold' even mean?" It simply means you can't buy this thing yet and no one knows if or when you ever will. Could be February... could be December 2010.... could be never.

Yes, you are right, all signs point to that and I was just too clouded by fanboyism to see that and think rationally. B))

B U M M E D

I thought we crazy Macross fans would spend our freakin gas and milk money on a new destroid - recession be darned.

Guess not.

Gives me time to save for the eventual weathered Phalanx and Spartan -- and the Fuke Red Ride Armor -- when the global economy turns around . . .

(if it does)

Graham said that the destriods weren't on the list to revisit until better economic times... it's in his "meeting with Yamato" thread.

I looked for it but apparently he took it off there so I was kind of lost. Well I guess I should focus back on the VF22S Max and Miria. I have yet still commit to getting the VF's V2. I guess get the defender upgrades and wait for the phalanx and spartan maybe next year perhaps? sigh..

Graham said that the destriods weren't on the list to revisit until better economic times... it's in his "meeting with Yamato" thread.

No more Destriods until better economic times... :blink:

What can I say, Yamato released crazy amount of Macross valks last year, collectors and fans are having a tough time in their pockets. The set price of Destriod (as a non-transformable toy) are not cheap. And economy is still not good.

Sale of the Destriods series suffer badly because of it.

I still hope to see 1/60 Phalanx and Spartan next year. Perhape a 1/60 Monster (kit) too?!

OK - I have an idea that is right up Yamato (and a few other companies - like CMs) alley. We fans must sacrifice to get our hands on what we want, even if it's not 'fair'.

And its a strategy that many complain about - no SCREAM ABOUT - all the time, so brace yourselves;

Yamato develops a 4 part 1/60 chain base, awesome, home run, with leds and the works like a few fans have made here in this forum. Essentially your dream repair bay in 4 sections (can u guess where this is going yet?).

They release the Tomahawk with part 1 (for around $99.99) to can rid of stock and buy time, the Defender with part 2 - and by this Christmas they might be able to do the Phalanx with part 3. Each should also come with one vehicle and 2 or 3 crew (crain, missle truck, fuel truck etc).

If things only get worse with the economy, and it might, Yamato could always do the Olive drab versions of the Tomahawk and Defender for part 3 and 4. But we all know the sales would be 10% what they would be with the all new Phalanx and Spartan.

Win Win.

I hear the toy industry was a very tough place to be last year and some toy companies, even some of the ones we may be familiar with on this site (not talking about Yamato) may not be in business by the end of next year. Don't expect anything too bold from toy companies this year. Lots of repaints with minimal investment. If we see anything more from the destroids it might be like Robotech's old civvie color themes.

Edited by jenius

Beagle? CMs? Hmmmm. Know doubt its been a tough year.

But this idea for Yamato Destroids will HELP them move unsold stock with a small investment of tooling up some walls and boom system for a 4 part chain base / repair bay.

If LEDs or gimmicks would push the 1 destroid, 1 base part package over $99 then they can skip the lights and whatever it takes to make it profitable in this environment.

Not only that, but they would have no obligation for part 3 until they see how the first 2 parts did. If they do make enough from parts 1 and 2 and the Phalanx is doable for part 3 -- whoever gets part 3 will go back and get parts 1 and 2 - they won't be able to resist completing the base once they get their mits on it.

SO - 1,500* units moved of each 1 AND 2 based on fans loving the chain base and hoping for the Phalanx in part 3 -- and 1,000* more moved of 1 and 2 after part 3 is released from all the completists who stalled but now can't resist pulling the trigger on getting the first 2 base sections (*figures pulled from nowhere just for the fun of it to try to sound more official)

-----------

Yamato has already exhausted color variations for the Tomahawk and Defender. They won't move anymore without a new hook in place . . .

Hell - Yamato can even skip making a new box for the re-release of the Tomahawk and Defender and just put the chain bases in a sep brown box to save $$.

You know something of this technique don't you Jenius??

We won't be too mad at them - there's a recession on for gosh sakes . . .

• 2 weeks later...
I sure do. It just looks like a silly happy face to me most of the time. The cannons being the eyes and the visor being the mouth.

Thank you for the picture. That helps but does that part, where we can see the pilot underneath, the whole thing, except for the cockpit and pilot, come off? Or easily modified?

med_gallery_4840_100_13546.jpg

Hi Miriya, I realize this is quite a long time since you asked the above question but I finally received my tomahawk and will provide pictures to answer your question. The area you have highlighted can come off but only through the removal of several screws.

post-12658-1264615358_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264615377_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264615401_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616084_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616112_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616171_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616188_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616202_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616253_thumb.jpg

Would the 1/72 Hasegawa ground crew set be visually off too much for the 1/60 Yamato line?

I couldn't put them in the same display as the ones that come with my Destroids probably . . .

Ok I know this is also a late post but I just wanted to give DarrinG an example of difference in scale between the included crew and the 1/72 crew from Hasagawa. If you get the chance I would just use the crew from the Hawagawa kit by themselves or just not use the included directing crew member from the tomahawk. I will Include a picture of the ones I use as well...note they are not painted yet.

post-12658-1264616755_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616787_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1264616860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iceblue106

Hi Miriya, I realize this is quite a long time since you asked the above question but I finally received my tomahawk and will provide pictures to answer your question. The area you have highlighted can come off but only through the removal of several screws.

Wow! Thank you so much Iceblue106! That is exactly the information and photos I was interested in. That is great! Also I am loving your diorama. Please post pics up of the diorama when you are finished.

Wow! Thank you so much Iceblue106! That is exactly the information and photos I was interested in. That is great! Also I am loving your diorama. Please post pics up of the diorama when you are finished.

Miriya since you asked I have decided to begin a forum in the building/customizing thread.

It will be a walk through from start to finish, as well as a brief description of where the inspiration came from.

Hope you enjoy it and I will see you there.

:D

• 3 months later...

Some think they don't worth the money, but I see them as the best Destroid toys around. :)

You have great Destroid collection.

I agree that Yamato did a great job on Destroid line.

Hope Yamato will release 1/60 Spartan and Phalanx later... and Monster too!

Yamato probably will release the phalanx later on since they already had the cad designs done, $400 for the unassembled and unpainted kit.

more like $200 for an unassembled and unpainted conversion kit, plus the extra tomahawk you'll need to steal the legs and pilot from.

• 7 months later...