Official Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Thread

Graham

I love my defender and Tomahawk

At first I wasnt really into the phalanx but now i would like to have the set . Its a break from yamatos line or repaints galore in terms of Valks. I usually have one of each and dont need very slight mold changes ie head designs or recolored bands. But im giving up hopes on a Spartan and phalanx at this point. And I would nt want another monster. The one i have is a floppy mess and i would have been happy with 2 modes instead of three. The robot mode is pointless and isnt realistic enough to have all those boosters support the weight of that thing. Pretty much very little is left to interior mechanics.

I was scared to see this thread bumped for fear of more bad news - like the Phalanx cancellation.

Hope its still on. AND I hope that most Macross fans buy one.

If "Virgin Road" that was never really was shown in the show, sells more than this awesome destroid that had considerable, and actual screen time, that would be bizarre to me . . .

Well, I picked up my Destroid this morning and spent a few hours today applying decals. I used a mixture of styles, using both decal sheets. I'm actually surprised at how many more a Destroid comes with compared to a Valkyrie. I love the color scheme on this mecha...it looks like something a real military would use. Here are a few shots of the finished product...

MacrossTomahawk_0142.jpg

MacrossTomahawk_0146.jpg

MacrossTomahawk_0143.jpg

MacrossTomahawk_0144.jpg

MacrossTomahawk_0145.jpg

Well, I picked up my Destroid this morning and spent a few hours today applying decals. I used a mixture of styles, using both decal sheets. I'm actually surprised at how many more a Destroid comes with compared to a Valkyrie. I love the color scheme on this mecha...it looks like something a real military would use. Here are a few shots of the finished product...

Dude, nice job on the decals. They really make it pop! That helped the "Pros" column as to whether or not to delve into the 1/60 armor mecha...

Not sure if I should curse your name or thank you.

Okay, this is ridiculous! After playing around with this thing for a few hours, and completely disassembling its modular pieces, I SOOO want the Defender now! There are actually parts on the Tomahawk that are removable that haven't really been mentioned in reviews. The quad-barrel chest cannon emplacements all have removable barrels; the paneling behind the cockpit is removable; the arm cannons' barrels and "elbows" are removable...hinting that other weapon systems could be used in place of the particle cannons; and the hip-mounted missile covers can be removed.

I was kind of surprised at the sheer size of this thing. If nothing else, it's definitely "beefier" than the Valkyrie...and even moreso than the Q-Rau in some ways. I know some people have complained that the Destroids should have some kind of gimmick, considering their price point, but I'm damned impressed with them as-is.

The only con against the Tomahawk is the same one that practically everyone who's gotten their hands on one has mentioned: a really floppy waist. Mine was so loose that the mecha was at a permanent 45-degree angle looking up at the sky. But a simple fix got rid of the floppiness: Krazy Glue. I took apart the waist/cockpit assembly by removing 4 small screws in the back of it, then slid the waist section out of its housing. It's nothing more than a round bowl-shaped piece with two small pegs on each side. Two plastic rotator cogs slip over the pegs and keep the waist section connected to the upper part of the mecha. I put a few drops of glue on the pegs and them reassembled the whole thing. I then slowly worked the waist up and down until the glue began to tighten it up, making sure it didn't permanently bond the plastics. The end result now has my Destroid able to stay facing forward without any problem whatsoever...

Dude, nice job on the decals. They really make it pop! That helped the "Pros" column as to whether or not to delve into the 1/60 armor mecha...

Not sure if I should curse your name or thank you.

then you're just going to hate me...

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

I love my 'hawk...

Edited by anime52k8

One thing I'm having a problem with on mine is the the curved parts of the mecha.

Applying the D7-type decals on the curved abdominal section, as well as the rear-torso dome...

Anyone have any suggestions as to a way of getting around this?

I didn't have much issue putting stickers on the curved parts though I didn't use the D or 7 in particular. One thing you could try is to trim off all the excess clear parts of the sticker right down to the edges of the letter/number.

That would make it skinnier and thus easier to place with less wrinkling (I assume it's wrinkling of the sticker that you're having problems with).

It would be great if they started tampo printing all the markings on these things.

At least it's nice to know the Phalanx is still on the way.

Agree, I love my Tomahawk and Denfender. But wish Yamato did more tampo printing on them.... afterall they are not 'cheap'.

Hope Yamto will bring out a Spartan (or even Monster) after Phalanx.

My Tomahawk tends to bend backward as if it is top heavy or something. Does this happen to anyone or is it common due to its weight.

Yes. This seems to be an inherent design flaw with the Tomahawk. But see my post above on how to fix the floppy waist...

One thing I'm having a problem with on mine is the the curved parts of the mecha.

Applying the D7-type decals on the curved abdominal section, as well as the rear-torso dome...

Anyone have any suggestions as to a way of getting around this?

I'm adding a few more decals to mine today and was pondering this same problem, as a matter of fact. The easiest way to apply the numerical decals to the mecha's rounded "belly" is to use an X-acto blade to cut out the number and letter designation you want, trimming away all excess plastic around them. This will allow for easier application to the mecha without the decal wrinkling up. Hope that helps!

MacrossTomahawk009.jpg

MacrossTomahawk008.jpg

MacrossTomahawk012.jpg

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Yeah, the hatchet decal is on the first decal sheet that comes with the OD Tomahawk...which I'm assuming is the same one that comes with the original Tomahawk. The two decal sheets allow for a ridiculous amount of customization. I'm a little surprised that the original color schemed Destroids don't come with the second sheet of decals.

Don't get me wrong I really like them but they should considering the price it is for a non transforming "toy".

Still patiently awaiting the lanx.

I've pondered the price point myself. And the conclusion I've reached is that the Destroids DO have a gimmick like the Valkyries have, except its not transformation. The Destroids have the whole "modular mix-and-match" gimmick instead. Apparently this is what Yamato considers justification for these mecha costing anywhere from $75 to $100 US, depending where you buy them. Being able to create Tomahawks with Defender arms, or a Defender with chest-mounted missile launchers is something that I'm sure SOMEONE finds to be a cool feature. Me...not so much, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. And in order to take advantage of this gimmick, you'll have to purchase multiple Destroids. It's a wonderful marketing strategy, if nothing else.

The way I look at it, by the end of SWI, when UN Spacy crew and material were dwindling, I'm sure there were all kinds of "Frankensteined" Destroids cobbled together out of spare parts of other Destroids, so Yamato took the modular nature of these toys and ran with it. The way that the arm cannon barrels are completely removable on the Tomahawk would suggest that there could possibly be an aftermarket accessory pack made that would update them to construction models like they appeared in Macross 7. The Tomahawk's arms were converted into giant shovel buckets similar to those found on a back-hoe.

I know something like that isn't likely, since it'd almost be a guaranteed non-seller, but the option is there if someone ever wanted to tackle a custom project...

I'd have to agree. There's a lot of extra details and features I didn't expect to be there on these. A lot of thought obviously went into their designs. I noticed I wasn't real clear above, so just for the record I don't necessarily believe they should have everything tampoed on but at least one or two of the obligatory markings would be welcome. Especially since we've been spoiled by the newer VFs.

I've pondered the price point myself. And the conclusion I've reached is that the Destroids DO have a gimmick like the Valkyries have, except its not transformation. The Destroids have the whole "modular mix-and-match" gimmick instead.

Except you can't. The torsos of the Defender and the Tomahawk aren't interchangable, and the arms are not easily detached from the Defender.

I meant something along these lines...

Ah ok, I see what you mean. To be honest though, straight torso swap is fairly meaningless (since the lower legs are, with one exception, identical). The arm swap is a bit more meaningful, but it might be a bit risky - the Destroids aren't exactly designed to be taken apart regularly.

That should be their next reissue. A greyish/low-viz type color schema of each model that are designed to have interchangable arms. Stickers could include some a new set of unit markings.