The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

The Five Greatest Mercedes-Benz Sports Cars of All-Time - I'd probably agree with the first three, but that's it.

I like the new SLS, I think it's cute.

You gotta love Motor Trend and their sense of logic...

"This video is private. sorry about that."

although from the preview alone I'm wondering what the heck a lexus is doing amongst the other three cars.

Goddamn Motor Trend. They must have been embarrassed by the replies that they blocked the video.

Here it is re-uploaded sans the final drag race. FYI, the Genesis Coupe finished first on that drag race, while the Mustang and Camaro tied in second.

Edited by areaseven

I'm afraid to admit that I don't change my own oil (I'm much too lazy). Now I'm pretty sure that I've heard that these things are rip-offs, but I figured I'd ask to be sure. The place that I take it to always tries to sell me either a fuel system or emissions system cleaning. I always refuse since in the two years I've owned the car, I haven't seen a difference in its performance or fuel economy.

I'm afraid to admit that I don't change my own oil (I'm much too lazy). Now I'm pretty sure that I've heard that these things are rip-offs, but I figured I'd ask to be sure. The place that I take it to always tries to sell me either a fuel system or emissions system cleaning. I always refuse since in the two years I've owned the car, I haven't seen a difference in its performance or fuel economy.

If it's Jiffy Lube, go somewhere else. It's been documented that Jiffy Lube charges people for services they don't even do. Your best bet is to check your owner's manual to see how often you need to have your fuel system and emissions system cleaned.

I used to run a Valvoline shop and I'll tell you that it's all about selling products and services to the best of our abilities. On a daily basis there was literally a gun to my head to get me to bilk as much money from people as possible. Now, for people in the business or car enthusiasts, fuel, emission, and "top end" cleanings are something to be looked into and done-I certainly perform those things on my own cars. But for the typical car owner, none of those services are absolutely necessary, unless called for in your owner's manual. As long as you stay on schedule with your maintenance, buy quality fuel and oils, you should be fine without all of the special cleanings and services, unless, once again, it's specified to do so in your owner's manual.

On another note, unless you're a car enthusiast/fan boi like me I think changing your own oil is a waste of time. The hassle of having to buy quality oils and a filter, roll around on the ground, clean everything up and then drive around and hope that some place will take your used oil and filter will equal or cost more than the typical $20-$30 that you'd spend at a shop. Take into consideration that these shops will have you in and out in 20 minutes or less and the shop is clearly the better alternative for typical car owners...

It's not a Jiffylube, just a local oil change place. The only reason I take my car there is because it's quick and I get my car washed for free.

As far as I can rememer, my owner's manual doesn't even say anything about fuel or emissions system cleanings.

I know for the fuel cleaning they just throw a can of bg44k and let it run its course, though i'll admit i'm a big fan of bg 44k. One of my best friends get it for me for free (he's a mechanic) and i swear by it, every 5 or so oil changes i'll throw a can of bg quick clean in my oil too to help pull the crap deposits that are starting to gum up the cam's. I don't know the real science to whether it truly increases the life of the motor or does anything to longevity but i can tell you that the motor usually sounds a lot smoother afterwards, especially with motors that have some age on them.

I know for the fuel cleaning they just throw a can of bg44k and let it run its course, though i'll admit i'm a big fan of bg 44k. One of my best friends get it for me for free (he's a mechanic) and i swear by it, every 5 or so oil changes i'll throw a can of bg quick clean in my oil too to help pull the crap deposits that are starting to gum up the cam's. I don't know the real science to whether it truly increases the life of the motor or does anything to longevity but i can tell you that the motor usually sounds a lot smoother afterwards, especially with motors that have some age on them.

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the

last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained

vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change: $20.00

Coffee: $1.00

Total: $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil,

filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for

$50.00.

2) Stop and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process.

Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw

kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter

and twist off

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil

everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash

can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.

17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to

gasket surface.

18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

19) Remember drain plug from step 11.

20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

21) Drink beer.

22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw

kitty litter on oil spill.

23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.

24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily

rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench

tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess

skin between knuckles and frame.

25) Begin cussing fit.

26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

28) Beer.

29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

30) Beer.

31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

32) Beer.

33) Lower car from jack stands.

34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during

any missed steps.

35) Beer.

36) Test drive car.

37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

38) Car gets impounded.

39) Call loving wife, make bail.

40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts: $50.00

DUI: $2500.00

Impound fee: $75.00

Bail: $1500.00

Beer: $20.00

Total: $4,145.00

But you know the job was done right!

haha....it gets expensive changing the oil yourself.

Not to mention time lost and then having to find a place that'll take the used oil-here in San Diego because of the dense population you'd be surprised how many shops and stores refuse to take used oil because they're full. Like I've said before, unless you're an "enthusiast" that gets all googley-eyed over your car you're better off taking 20 minutes and $20 and having the monkeys at the shop do it...

Yup. I never change my own oil--time, mess, cleanup, etc. And like I really want to carry a big container of dirty oil around town in my clean carpeted trunk--THAT is the number one reason I won't do it--I don't trust it to not leak, and even without the oil it's still dirty just from sitting on the garage floor, etc.

It's also one procedure I assume even a tech unfamiliar with my car can do without breaking anything.

having your local shop do the oil on a car that uses conventional oil is usually cost effective, but cars that use synthetic is usually really expensive. Where 5 quarts of synthetic with a filter is around $30, the local shop typically charges $50. Plus i'm a bit picky, in the winter i switch to 0w40 oil and I've talked to the oil monkey's at my friends shop and they just throw in whatever the computer says (and i've seen the computer be wrong first hand). There's still something to be said about doing oil changes yourself, especially with cars purposely becoming more complex to keep you away from working on it, it's one of the few things you can do that helps you feel like you contribute to your car still being on the road.

Went to the annual SD Convention Center car show-pretty boring but there were some nice machines in there. I apologize for the weak shots but there was so much foot traffic in there it was hard to snap good pictures:

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/mykranili/sd%20car%20show/

Oh and I met this really cool girl, so in front of rolling news cameras and other onloookers I figured I should propose to her. When that didn't work I did what any man would do and started to beg:

rename-1.jpg

PS: I am going to kill my f**king camera man for his twitchy, bitch-ass hands...

Edited by myk

Ummm...now that the high is gone I'm not sure I want that stuff to go on the air, lol. Seriously it was during the question and answer phase of her spiel so I'm sure HER career will be fine ha ha...

So a friend just got me wise to a trend in Japan, Dajjbans, or Dodge Vans. Pretty sweet, I think.

I'd rather have a boxy, lowered V8 Dodge Ram van with deep dish low-offset wheels, than a boxy Scion xB.

I think it's doubly cool that these guys also take their vans out to the track.

4246005806_37e8a4d7ca_o.jpg

4246006042_d6d5966d42_o.jpg

4245231855_a101512d28_o.jpg

4256109717_a5f9f8c5c0_o.jpg

4251685408_f4d04f5f74_o.jpg

4251685438_fd9bd38fc0_o.jpg

4246005700_571a212265_o.jpg

4245231459_13a249a1e5_o.jpg

4246005736_11c14d10c9_o.jpg

4246005484_28fc61b658_o.jpg