The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

My day was totally made today when I saw an R34 Skyline GT-R not too far from my house. I was able to speak to the guy who owns it and was quite surprised to find that he actually lived locally.

It's good that the guy kept it in original JDM-spec. I've seen a handful of GT-Rs (R33 and R34) in Manila, and they were all LHD-converted due to strict rules against RHD cars.

He also owns a '90 R32 GT-R. I actually saw it a few months ago, but wasn't sure if it was an actual R32 or just a heavily modded 240SX.

According to him, there's about a dozen or so R32-R34 GT-Rs currently in NJ. Sadly, I'm not one of the owners. :(

He also owns a '90 R32 GT-R. I actually saw it a few months ago, but wasn't sure if it was an actual R32 or just a heavily modded 240SX.

According to him, there's about a dozen or so R32-R34 GT-Rs currently in NJ. Sadly, I'm not one of the owners. :(

You'd have to take a closer look at it. In L.A., I once saw a '90s Honda Accord fitted with a body kit to look like a 4-door R34. Sad but true.

A dozen GT-Rs is a lot in NJ, hell even in the entire Northeast.

GT-R's are definitely rolling around, a close friend of mine owns an R32 GT-R, one of the first people on the East Coast to get one. His grandma passed away and he bought it with his inheritance before MotoRex went under. He's tried to sell it a few times but can't seem to part with it. But even in my area (Northern VA) there's at least three R33's and two R32's that live locally that i know of, haven't seen any R34's though except for when import shows come to town.

After a decade of selling monstrosities designed by Chris Bangle, BMW is working hard to make their cars less ugly. Take this concept, for example.

"Yawn.." Looks like a BMW to me. 6 figure, top line performance, interior, fit & finish, blah blah blah, and absolutely zero excitement on the outside. Business as usual...

"Yawn.." Looks like a BMW to me. 6 figure, top line performance, interior, fit & finish, blah blah blah, and absolutely zero excitement on the outside. Business as usual...

I think A7 is trying to say that there is no weird interrupting line thing going on, that we have seen so many times in the last 7 or so years.

This may be a bit out of place here,seeing as most of the discussion is on "tuner" or sports cars, but I just got my first car about a month and a half ago. It's a 1963 Ford Fairlane.

4467788423_6ee26f2980.jpg

It's got the original V8 engine, but it has a 2-speed automatic transmission (and it's 47 years old) so it doesn't have too terribly much "get-up-n'-go." Both the steering and brakes are manual, but the play in the steering makes it fun to drive.

Edited by VenomMacbeth

This may be a bit out of place here,seeing as most of the discussion is on "tuner" or sports cars, but I just got my first car about a month and a half ago. It's a 1963 Ford Fairlane.

4467788423_6ee26f2980.jpg

It's got the original V8 engine, but it has a 2-speed automatic transmission (and it's 47 years old) so it doesn't have too terribly much "get-up-n'-go." Both the steering and brakes are manual, but the play in the steering makes it fun to drive.

Nothing wrong with that here. It is the car forum, after all. Actually, the 4-door sedans pretty much got no love, considered throwaway cars compared to the "performance" models of the day, so it ought to be even more rare. You may want to keep it close to original spec because of that.

Or, if you wanted to be a deviant and make a sleeper out of it, there are plenty of hi-perf coupe parts that should go on relatively easily. Lots of fiberglass parts to make it lighter, like: hoods, fenders, bumpers, etc. If it has a 289, I've heard they can make decent power, with the right parts; and if you can find a Toploader trans it should bolt right up. Just have to be wary--make sure it's a true 4-spd, and not the "3-spd overdrive," as they're said to be weak.

BMW hasn't designed a exciting exterior since the 8-series IMHO.

Oh, it's not so bad. Does seem to be a step in the right direction. Clean, simple, yet muscular lines.

Although, the headlights being recessed slightly behind the grill does make it look a bit like it's got a "snout." :huh:

I know you don't buy a Lamborghini for the interior but that interior looks pretty hideous.

Reminds me of trendy jeans...very 1990's. Buyer's remorse should set in pretty quick. "...what the h*ll was I thinking when I bought that?"

Nothing wrong with that here. It is the car forum, after all. Actually, the 4-door sedans pretty much got no love, considered throwaway cars compared to the "performance" models of the day, so it ought to be even more rare. You may want to keep it close to original spec because of that.

Or, if you wanted to be a deviant and make a sleeper out of it, there are plenty of hi-perf coupe parts that should go on relatively easily. Lots of fiberglass parts to make it lighter, like: hoods, fenders, bumpers, etc. If it has a 289, I've heard they can make decent power, with the right parts; and if you can find a Toploader trans it should bolt right up. Just have to be wary--make sure it's a true 4-spd, and not the "3-spd overdrive," as they're said to be weak.

Well, most of the discussion here seems to be about exotic new luxury & sports cars, rather than classic cars like I'm into. ^_^

I don't plan on doing TOO much to it. It's got the original 221 V8, nothing too special. I'm going to try to find a replacement rear bumper because it's pretty warped. One of the tail light lenses is broken, but it stays on. I was considering modding the rocketship taillights from a '59 caddy to fit my car, but I think I am gonna try to keep it mostly original & just get a replacement fairlane lense.

However, it didn't have the original radio or stereo system when I got it, just a POS Sparkomatic radio & "Mitsubishi Audio" speakers lol. I'm gonna replace those, and hopefully get a new Classic Autosound radio. I'm going to get lap & shoulder seatbelts in the front seat and lap belts in the back seat. I'm also thinking about maybe installing a power brake booster just to make it easier to drive, as well as some after-market AC if I get the extra cash.

As for the transmission, I think I'm gonna keep it as-is. You can find a stock 3-speed automatic, but I think they're rare, and I can't drive stick so the 4-speed is out... I might get some chrome valve covers and air cleaner, though. B))

Edited by VenomMacbeth

The Gran Coupe is a sedan?? Lol. The E92 3 series coupes are my favorite and best BMW design IMO.

It's called the Gran Coupe because BMW is attempting to jump into the 4-door coupe bandwagon already occupied by the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, the Aston Martin Rapide and the fugly Porsche Panamera.

Well, most of the discussion here seems to be about exotic new luxury & sports cars, rather than classic cars like I'm into. ^_^

I don't plan on doing TOO much to it. It's got the original 221 V8, nothing too special. I'm going to try to find a replacement rear bumper because it's pretty warped. One of the tail light lenses is broken, but it stays on. I was considering modding the rocketship taillights from a '59 caddy to fit my car, but I think I am gonna try to keep it mostly original & just get a replacement fairlane lense.

However, it didn't have the original radio or stereo system when I got it, just a POS Sparkomatic radio & "Mitsubishi Audio" speakers lol. I'm gonna replace those, and hopefully get a new Classic Autosound radio. I'm going to get lap & shoulder seatbelts in the front seat and lap belts in the back seat. I'm also thinking about maybe installing a power brake booster just to make it easier to drive, as well as some after-market AC if I get the extra cash.

As for the transmission, I think I'm gonna keep it as-is. You can find a stock 3-speed automatic, but I think they're rare, and I can't drive stick so the 4-speed is out... I might get some chrome valve covers and air cleaner, though. B))

Ohhhh, 221 V8. Yup, keep it stock. As for replacement parts, shouldn't be hard to get hold of. '62-and up Fairlanes still have relatively good support from aftermarket/resto businesses. There's sites like macsautoparts dot com, dearbornclassics dot com, woody's fairlane site, and more.

Haven't been around here in months, but I figured I might drop in to put up some pictures of my new car.

A few months of hemming and hawing about what to buy, and I realized that in the time/price frame I was looking at (early 2000s, $10k or under) there wasn't much of interest to me, largely because I really, really did not want a FWD car. Almost bought an '03 BMW 540i Msport a friend's relative was selling, but it needed a bunch of work.

Ended up buying this instead:

post-22-1273193209_thumb.jpg

It's a 1985 Corolla GT-S coupe, something I've wanted for a long time.

post-22-1273193246_thumb.jpg

Has a Japanese front end, and some minor modifications to the suspension and exhaust. 200,000 miles on the odometer with the original motor (which is still pretty damned strong). The interior is about as clean as you could hope for in a car of this age; aside from some serious wear on the seats it's in really good shape. Everything inside works fine: inflatable lumbar support, power mirrors, even the A/C blows cold.

post-22-1273193398_thumb.jpg

The biggest issues is the paint, which has some serious peeling going on. Also has a couple of spots of rust I need to get fixed up, but otherwise there isn't too much to complain about. Once I get it sorted I'll probably start autocrossing it, seems a waste to keep a car like this relegated to just daily driving.

Cool pickup YLM. You must be back in the states now?

What did you end up paying for the Corolla? I'm led to believe that these are starting to get difficult to find in decent condition... The vast majority that I see have been riced out and thrashed. A friend of mine had a GTS hatch, and it was a great car - simple, lightweight, RWD, and damn-near indestructable.

Y'know, Lone Pine is coming up soon!

Edited by Hiriyu

Cool pickup YLM. You must be back in the states now?

What did you end up paying for the Corolla? I'm led to believe that these are starting to get difficult to find in decent condition... The vast majority that I see have been riced out and thrashed. A friend of mine had a GTS hatch, and it was a great car - simple, lightweight, RWD, and damn-near indestructable.

Y'know, Lone Pine is coming up soon!

Yeah, I'm back in the US. I've been back for about 6 months, but I've been without a car until now.

I paid $4k for it. It wasn't exactly a steal, but also not terrible considering what they go for. It's a shitty market for them, no doubt. This was actually the first (and only) one I looked at, so I think I lucked out. These days a decent condition SR5 will go for $2-3k, and a lot of people have ghetto hybrids where they've put a 4AGE and a GTS rear end onto a SR5 chassis. A guy recently put an unmolested 1986 GTS with 65,000 miles on it on Club4AG and wanted $9k for it.

It's really hard to find a GTS that hasn't been molested in some way. I went for this one because it had the stuff I would have wanted to do anyways (mild suspension stuff, an exhaust), the previous owner had daily driven it (which I intended to do) and it had a super clean CarFax. Most GTS' you see for sale have had the A/C and power steering units ripped out, this one didn't.

What's Lone Pine?

I plan on going provided I can get out of town for the weekend. It's a really cool event, well worth attending. The organizers are good personal friends of mine; if you have any interest, send me a PM and I'll help get you set up. There's room for any level of car prep/driving skill, so don't be shy.

Damn, Hiriyu, I wish that I lived way out by you! I'd love to take my SE-R SpecV out there to actually see what she can do. There isn't anywhere near me that would ever allow this. Oh, sure, we have plenty of race tracks out here in NJ, but nothing anywhere near what I'm sure you have out in AZ.

Speaking of NJ race, Formula Drift (yeah, I know people's opinions of drifiting, here :p )always has one of its rounds in my home town, Wall, NJ.

I plan on going provided I can get out of town for the weekend. It's a really cool event, well worth attending. The organizers are good personal friends of mine; if you have any interest, send me a PM and I'll help get you set up. There's room for any level of car prep/driving skill, so don't be shy.

It's probably not feasible for me to make it out this year, but I might give it a shot next year. What exactly is it? A high-speed autocross or something cooler?