The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Ford has been my favorite domestic car maker, but even more so since they didn't accept any bail out money and have thrown away all of their grandfathered motors and drivetrains for modern marvels. They still have a ways to go, but ridding themselves of useless brands was a good start, personally i still think they need to lose Mercury and work on making Lincoln a real luxury brand. As much as i hate that GM is now Government Motors, i'm a big fan of them cutting the fat too and personally think it should've happened on their own accord decades ago before they found themselves in their current predicament.

A simple trip to the Rouge plant in Detroit (Dearborn actually, but close to the D) reveals that Ford's recent success was more of a function of its own internal planning and strategic vision rather than luck and the decline of the other 2 major domestic brands. Granted the facility only manufacturers F-150's (I heard the new Raptor too, but not sure) - it is a prime example of green and efficient manufacturing. The building uses natural insulation extensively, has a green-roof and porous pavement in the surrounding lots to absorb rain water and other innovations.

To people out in the West/East coast who have driven imports for a generation now, this is a sharp contrast to what they have in their minds.

Anyone can make money during good times, but companies that turn a profit during the worst recession since the 1930's truly have their act together.

... and the newer generation of SYNC is great, feels so high-tech :) .

Edited by Ghost Train

I am guessing there is a different engine in it? 914s were fast in their time, but do not compare to today's standards.

For sure! This car with a nicely balanced engine (not stock) and a Volkswagen engine air cooled done by Raby. This engine consistantly runs at 8K RPM with no problems. Not to mention you can remove the engine and replace it in less than 30 minutes. If you really want to see a 914 run, the V8 and Subaru conversions out there are super fast. The purist will stick with Porsche and VW engines though. The most competitive cars against this one is are Miatas and Lotus. Considering this car is 37+ years old, super cheap to buy, and running on carbs, todays standards are not much of an improvement.

I just love watching guys driving 6 figure cars jaws drop after they get smoked by a less than $10K car powered by an old (somewhat modified) VW engine.

For sure! This car with a nicely balanced engine (not stock) and a Volkswagen engine air cooled done by Raby. This engine consistantly runs at 8K RPM with no problems. Not to mention you can remove the engine and replace it in less than 30 minutes. If you really want to see a 914 run, the V8 and Subaru conversions out there are super fast. The purist will stick with Porsche and VW engines though. The most competitive cars against this one is are Miatas and Lotus. Considering this car is 37+ years old, super cheap to buy, and running on carbs, todays standards are not much of an improvement.

I just love watching guys driving 6 figure cars jaws drop after they get smoked by a less than $10K car powered by an old (somewhat modified) VW engine.

Its all about power to weight and not just the ratio... Less inertia means change of inertia is infinitely easier. I have a few friends that own new exotic cars, including one guy with a 430 Challenge... He says the Lotus is a far greater driving experience, if you don't mind being able to drive under a semi.

Keeping a car's mass down as much as reasonably possible is definitely a worthy aim. But I just think the "Colin Chapman" standard for design is somewhat overrated. It shouldn't take precedence over everything else.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy."

True, he's credited with innovations like introducing monocoque bodies, positive aerodynamic downforce, and tube-frame construction. But there's no telling how many poor, brave souls met early deaths at the wheel of a racing car that was just too flimsy to make sense, all for the sake of saving weight--with protection for the driver a distant afterthought. Same can be said of road cars.

It's why I have the utmost respect for guys like Andretti, Fittipaldi, Stewart and Gurney, who did it in earnest during the 60's and 70's. I've seen bare Can-Am and F1 chassis from that era, the construction and layout methods of the designs. Those guys had balls to do that for a living.

Edited by reddsun1

Thanks for all the pointers. I still haven't decided what to do to fix the amp issue but it was good to know where to start. Next weekend I'm going to rip the back of my car apart in search fo the amp to see if it's not just a cold solder joint issue in the current amp. THen I'm going to measure up the current amp and check out my after market situation. It looks like a previous owner (car was 2 years old when I bought it) removed the 8" woofer from the back housing, replaced it with two 4" speakers (and left the wood he used to make it work) and then took the 2 4" speakers when he sold the car. Now I understand why my stereo has always sounded so flat to me.

I drive a 1.8T Quattro. I'm not looking to hop up the speed, I bought this car specifically because it was a 4 door tank and I was sick of ending up with faster wrecked cars.

Believe me, the car is such a tank that you don't go anywhere unless you're pushing 300hp, usually performance mods are noticed in the lower gears, since the car is already well equipped for the highway (where the car is an absolute dream even in stock form). You'll have to look it up because i forget, but i believe your MY uses the K03S turbo instead of the regular K03 like in my year. If you upgrade the Diverter Valve, and chip the car, you're looking at an easy 50-70 extra hp, which helps a lot in the low end gears. But all things considered, my car has been great to me, i bought it for $2600 and have invested a mere $400 to ensure trouble free operation for the next few years (all belts, rebuilt abs module, MAF sensor, water pump, cam seal). The block is bullet proof, and the amenities are adequate, and since my commute is 100% highway, it's been an absolute pleasure to drive. Oddly, i wouldn't own another one, it's hard to explain, but just the handful of things that I've done as preventive maintenance were an absolute nightmare. I've been spoiled by working on Japanese cars, so working on German cars seems unnecessarily difficult.

A simple trip to the Rouge plant in Detroit (Dearborn actually, but close to the D) reveals that Ford's recent success was more of a function of its own internal planning and strategic vision rather than luck and the decline of the other 2 major domestic brands. Granted the facility only manufacturers F-150's (I heard the new Raptor too, but not sure) - it is a prime example of green and efficient manufacturing. The building uses natural insulation extensively, has a green-roof and porous pavement in the surrounding lots to absorb rain water and other innovations.

To people out in the West/East coast who have driven imports for a generation now, this is a sharp contrast to what they have in their minds.

Anyone can make money during good times, but companies that turn a profit during the worst recession since the 1930's truly have their act together.

... and the newer generation of SYNC is great, feels so high-tech :) .

I definitely agree, Ford has regained their focus and it shows. The hardest part for them isn't making a quality product, it's convincing the public that they're making a quality product. If they can regain the public trust, then have absolutely nothing to worry about. To be honest, watching GM's fall probably helped Ford on their quest even more, I was talking to some die hard GM and Dodge fanboys and one of them said directly "Now that GM is owned by the Government and Dodge is owned by Fiat (and the Government), i have no choice but to buy Ford". The people who still buy American really have no choice, GM flipped them the bird, and Dodge even prior to acquisition was more German than American, so Ford is really the only game in town.

Here's one for all the Z fans. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Z, Nissan unveiled this special edition 370Z, priced at $38,860 and limited to 1,000 units. It's basically the Touring model with the Sport Package upgrade, a premium "40th Graphite" color with red leather interior and loads of special badges.

2010-Nissan-370Z-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Nissan-370Z-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Nissan-370Z-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Nissan-370Z-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Engine-Plaque-1920x1440.jpg

2010 Nissan 370Z 40th Anniversary Edition

what do you guys think of the VW Tiguan? is it a good suv?

Have you read the consumer ratings on it? "Good" depends on how you decide to use it. You may want to do some comparisons with it and other SUVs of the same class (i.e. Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape).

BTW, check out the new Hyundai Tucson. For an SUV, it's gorgeous.

Just wondering, anyone here affected by the Toyota recall?

we might but we just don't care enough. (everyone in my family drives a toyota, I know mines not (86' supra, little bit to old) and we really haven't bothered to check the other two (IS250 and a highlander).

Edited by anime52k8

Damn, you got one of those? The Mk. III is my all-time favorite Supra.

yeah, my dad bought it new in 1986, drove it for 22 years and then gave it to me with only 72,000 miles on it. ^_^

would have been nice if it was an 87 with a turbo, but you can't have everything.

Question to the greese monkey inclined:

My headlights seem not to want to turn themselves on. The short lights and all the other lights and everything else works fine. Long blazing lights also work (but only from the short lights, not the head lights) - it's a Mazda 626. I've drawn an MS Paint below to show you what I'm on about:

I'm thinking it might be the fuses. I find it hard to believe that two bulbs have simultaneously just burned out? ...

I found the fuse box under the hood - the helpful diagram clearly indicates which fuse is for the Long Head lights.

2qsru2w.jpg

But...

How do I check the fuses? What do I do now?

Tomorrow's monday and I will take it to the car mechanic - but today he's closed, and I'm pissed and impatient - so if there's anything I can do now to try and fix it - lemme know :)

Also...I found some kind of cable with a plug-type ending just fricking dangling around under the hood... doing nothing... I THINK it's the car alarm which I had de-activated last year after it randomly came on in the middle of driving...

But maybe it's not?

Anyways...I can take a picture of what's under the hood if somebody wants - but if you can just lemme know how to check the fuses or any other advice - that would help.

Thanks!

Pete

I'm confused, so your low beams don't work, and your high beams work but they're from the same projector? From your picture, i would've assumed the outside lights are turn signals the middle lights are low beam and the inside lights are high beam. In any case, light bulbs don't cost much, i would buy one and replace the light bulb first, and if it doesn't work, you can check the fuses. If you open your fuse box, typically they provide you a fuse tool (it's a pair of plastic plier looking things), you can use these to pull fuses out of the box and see if the filament is still intact. What you'll be looking for in the fuses is if the filament is disintegrated; when you pull the fuse out, you will see two prongs, and connecting these two prongs is a plastic colored shroud with a thin filament that connects the prongs closing the ckt. If the filament is disintegrated then you can assume it's bad and replace it, if the fuses continue to burn out after replacement you likely have a wire grounded out somewhere.

I'm confused, so your low beams don't work, and your high beams work but they're from the same projector? From your picture, i would've assumed the outside lights are turn signals the middle lights are low beam and the inside lights are high beam. In any case, light bulbs don't cost much, i would buy one and replace the light bulb first, and if it doesn't work, you can check the fuses. If you open your fuse box, typically they provide you a fuse tool (it's a pair of plastic plier looking things), you can use these to pull fuses out of the box and see if the filament is still intact. What you'll be looking for in the fuses is if the filament is disintegrated; when you pull the fuse out, you will see two prongs, and connecting these two prongs is a plastic colored shroud with a thin filament that connects the prongs closing the ckt. If the filament is disintegrated then you can assume it's bad and replace it, if the fuses continue to burn out after replacement you likely have a wire grounded out somewhere.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the helpful info! I guess I need to fish around for the fuse tool. I did open the fuse box, but saw nothing like it...

Anyways - yeah - the high beams are the lights that seem not to be working. The reason I find it inconcievable that it would be the bulbs is that it's wierd for both the right and the left to burn out simultaneously...

anyways - ok - off to find the fuse tool! I guess I can also look for some plastic plyers in the basement too...

I'm assuming I should have my engine turned off when I start pulling fuses out ;)

Pete

Well...I checked the fuses. At least - I pulled them out and did indeed see the prongs. Some of them were a little brownish. Not very. But a little. The fillament...oh crap! It must be the fillament because the fuses themselves are fine... I even interchanged soe of them (all of them say "15" on them so I assumed they were interchangable) and everything works...

Oh well - whatever. Tomorrow morning I'll swing by the local mechanic...hopefully he'll fix this up fast! I hate being carless! :)

Thanks for your help!!

Pete

Suddenly, everyone wants to be a locksmith. A new invention called an Electronic Key Impressioner (EKI) enables locksmiths to scan a car lock and upload the pattern into the computer for them to cut a new key.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Maybe a little too easy. Knowing that car thieves would take advantage of the new technology, the EKI's inventors will only sell it to licensed locksmiths. In addition, each licensed EKI has online access to a key database. Any attempt by an unlicensed device to access the database will render it inoperable.

BTW, the EKI currently works only on Fords and on regular keys, not the newer transponder keys.

New Device Makes Life Easier for Some Locksmiths, Car Thieves

Have you read the consumer ratings on it? "Good" depends on how you decide to use it. You may want to do some comparisons with it and other SUVs of the same class (i.e. Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape).

I went through the same decision process. I looked at the CRV, Vue, Rav4, Tuscon, Escape and the Tiguan. I went with the Tiguan; it just doesn't have the space (cargo/passenger) that the others do, but it definitely does have better driving dynamics. I have a 2.0T 4-motion and it's got plenty of torque (in-boost) and the Haldex AWD is great.

The only other complaint I've heard from other Tiguan drivers is that the suspension & ride is harsher than other SUV's. Having an S4 as my alternate car, I don't know what that means :).

My fiance just purchased a Tiguan. It's allegedly extremely safe which I know isn't a huge priority for everyone car shopping but it was something I paid closer attention to when it was my future wife making the purchase. She got a 2010, the interior is nice, ride feels much tighter than the other tiny SUVs we test drove. The build quality has seemed pretty impressive so far... not a single thing is "not quite right" yet. Moon roof is huge, stereo is decent, it feels peppy and has a tight turning radius, and has plenty of room for the kids... should they pop up. You do lose a bit of trunk space compared to a Rav4. She also loves that there are so few Tiguans in our area so she feels a little unique.

Fiat's deal with Chrysler means that they'll be bringing their 500 and other Italian cars into the U.S. That deal, however, is a double-edged sword, as Lancia cars will be rebadged as Chryslers in Europe as early as next year.

What would Ozma Lee say?

Lancia's Future Threatened Once More

This sounds horrible we should apologize to the Lancia fan club/owners association.

This sounds horrible we should apologize to the Lancia fan club/owners association.

This decision wasn't made by Chrysler itself; it came from Fiat's CEO Sergio Marchionne. The Lancia brand is currently available only in Italy, Greece and other few places in Europe. Also, I've read reports that when Fiat purchased a stake in Chrysler, the Obama Administration requested for them to make Chrysler a global brand.

Lancia won't be the only brand threatened by this change. Some Alfa Romeos may wind up becoming rebadged Chryslers as well.

More bad news for Toyota owners: cars equipped with V6 engines have a faulty oil hose that tends to degrade and cause severe leakage. Owners of the following models should head to their dealers for a free fix.

V6 Models Only

2007-2010 Toyota Camry

2005-2009 Toyota Avalon

2006-2009 Toyota RAV4

2007-2008 Lexus ES 350

2007-2009 Lexus RX 350

Toyota to Repair V6 Models for Oil Leak Issue

Hmm, impressive numbers indeed. It's not hard to look at, either.

I think perhaps the car's greatest handicap, the thing that holds it back so to speak, is its name though. Koenigsegg just doesn't roll off the tongue well. And any name with "egg" in it doesn't exactly inspire awe and admiration, eh? <_<

I think perhaps the car's greatest handicap, the thing that holds it back so to speak, is its name though. Koenigsegg just doesn't roll off the tongue well. And any name with "egg" in it doesn't exactly inspire awe and admiration, eh? <_<

Dunno, rebadging it as Kings edge doesn't sound much better either.