The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

My toy, not as cool as some of the others. Mitsu 3000GT w/Maxflow and a lot of other extra goodies:

3nc3p93ldZZZZZZZZZ95q8397b73d739613.jpg

3n33k73o7ZZZZZZZZZ95q1c9d3b5cdc641d.jpg

3m43o13p7ZZZZZZZZZ95qab5ba575acd915.jpg

Edited by Excillon

The same people who designed the original Shelby Daytona are back with a modern take of the race-winning coupe.

Superformance has also released the latest version of their Shelby Cobra replica.

And here's their replica of the legendary Ford GT40 Mk. I.

Love the GT40s. Wide-body "Wyer-spec" versions are the epitome of sexy...could sit and stare at those things, study the body and mechanicals for hours.

Had a chance to drool over MkII and Cobra replicas at the track this past w'end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyadcock/se...57619324706791/

Wasn't too keen on some elements of the Cobra though--I guess some replicas are more equal than others. Ergonomics were sh*t. Because the engine was set so far back on the chassis, the trans tunnel is way wider at the front, making for undersize pedals that are offset way over to the left--just like the replica I drove in Vegas, in fact. I'm relatively sure it's anatomically impossible to properly heel and toe the little bugger [damn sure couldn't in the one I drove]. Makes me wish I'd paid more attention/looked closer when I was working around the genuine ones a few years back, to be able to draw a better comparison.

As far as that replica in Vegas--which was set up pretty much exactly like the Superformance in VA this w'end--it was a real hoot to drive. But a little part of me was disappointed; the truth wasn't quite the match for the legend, so to speak. I didn't have enough time to get truly comfortable/acclimated with it; but in short:

Ride quality: It rode like a dump truck

Driving technique required: Pretty much drove it like a dump truck

Driving position: Bloody awful

Fun factor: Absolutely great

You want an idea of the seating position? Okay, get an old-fashioned straight-back wooden chair, place some boxes directly in front of it so that when seated, your're resting your feet on them about 20"-24" off the floor [pretty much legs straight out]. The pedals will be about 1/2 scale to "normally sized pedals"; gas pedal will be where the brake normally would be, brake where the clutch should be, and clutch offset a little further left of that. Dead pedal? HAH! what dead pedal?

It's a bit of an oxymoron, but there's something appealing about the simplicity of them, the brutality. There's the intoxicating bellow of the exhaust right down behind your shoulder. And the acceleration! Even with the little girly Mustang motor, that worn-out little roadster would run like a scalded cat when you romped on it. Would I still get one, given half the chance? You bet your arse I would. These things [Cobras] are like a spiked club brought to a boxing match.

Edited by reddsun1

reddsun,

Awesome pics from VIR. The yellow '02 you've commented as being "really fast" belongs to my friend and customer "Bob" out of Raleigh. I've more than a passing acquaintance with many of the bits on that car.

Oops, my bad--I should have given credit where it was due. That was actually not my flikr page, but one I just happened to find with pics of that latest event.

But I concur; I saw that race, and #202 was masterfully driven. Very entertaining indeed. B))

• 2 weeks later...

Just from looking at it I honestly thought it had been rendered a static mockup due to the mods, but apparently it actually does run.

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

Nigh-impossible to see the screens in the full noon sun, but the left one actually displays the roof-mounted camera's view.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123154252

The new Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa Romeo lineup for the US market has been revealed:

Fiat

Panda

Fiat 199 Platform

Alfa Romeo MiTo

Dodge Hornet

Fiat C-Evo Platform

Chrysler Sebring

Dodge Caliber

Dodge Journey

Jeep Liberty

As-yet-unnamed Alfa Romeo SUV

Alfa Romeo

GTX - SUV based on the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform

The Alfa GTX will be built alongside the Jeep Grand Cherokee at Chrysler's Jefferson North plant, while the Dodge Hornet and Alfa MiTo will see construction at the Belvedere Assembly plant. The Fiat 500 and Panda, meanwhile, will be built in Toluca, Mexico.

Edited by areaseven

OMG, neat! :lol:

I don't get to follow the show as regularly as I'd like, but I almost hate it that they've revealed who the mighty Stig is, now.

Part of the fun was wondering just who this well-nigh-invincible God of the tarmac was.

slight bit of a bummer; almost like if Snoopy finally got the Red Baron, or Wile E. Coyote caught the Roadrunner.

OMG, neat! :lol:

I don't get to follow the show as regularly as I'd like, but I almost hate it that they've revealed who the mighty Stig is, now.

Part of the fun was wondering just who this well-nigh-invincible God of the tarmac was.

slight bit of a bummer; almost like if Snoopy finally got the Red Baron, or Wile E. Coyote caught the Roadrunner.

Word is it's just a publicity thing. 'Der Schumi' was still driving F1 when the last Stig jumped off the carrier and was replaced with the current one.

One of the most well-known coachbuilders has bit the dust.

Sad to hear. I've owned quite a few Karmann-built cars over the years, and though the quality wasn't always the finest, they definitely had their place in the world of coachbuilding.

I do hope that someone decides to buy up some of their old production tools so that some of the older parts and sheetmetal can be repro'd. There could potentially be a good amount of money there for the right party or parties.

Erm, which is why they don't want to add a bunch of Hummers to the streets I guess?

Like the Chinese government actually cares about the environment. You put a couple of H2s in Beijing and it wouldn't matter.

As for China banning Renault, what a load of crap. None of China's cars have passed crash tests of all kinds, while Renaults have been designed to earn 5-star ratings in Euro NCAP crash tests. It seems that China has an overpopulation problem, and they don't want their people surviving in accidents.

Easy on China guys... I just spent 10 days there and met with Gov officials. They most certainly DO care about the environment... Also the rural roads are too narrow to handle most hummers. Hanging a tire off into the dirt creates erosion... Thats the environment too.

No country in the world has a recycling system like China. Its perfect.

Like the Chinese government actually cares about the environment. You put a couple of H2s in Beijing and it wouldn't matter.

As for China banning Renault, what a load of crap. None of China's cars have passed crash tests of all kinds, while Renaults have been designed to earn 5-star ratings in Euro NCAP crash tests. It seems that China has an overpopulation problem, and they don't want their people surviving in accidents.

While it's true china is heavily coal dependent and run a lot of old school dirty coal powered generators they're also pumping billions of dollars into renewable energy research, already have fuel and emission standards superior to that of the United States, have the world's largest photovoltaic company as well as dumping obscene amounts of money into next gen battery technologies.

We can laugh and pretend it's the 1950s and the US has all the oil in the world all we want but the truth is the rest of the world took the ball we dropped in the 80's and they're out far ahead. So while we talk about continuing to drill in alaska as if it matters we're being left behind in the dust.

Remember that funky-looking GT Citroën introduced for Gran Turismo 5? Well, you can own one of six for $1.8 million. Originally conceptualized to be powered by hydrogen fuel-cell, the production version will be using an American-made V8 - which will be sourced by either Ford or GM, depending on who Citroën will side with.

Citroën GT Headed for Production

wtf?!? i hope mcd's sues them.

... And where are they going to send a Cease and Desist letter to?

Edited by Agent ONE

I'm sure they're lovin' it. At least they didn't do KFC; otherwise, they'd be offending a lot of people.

Oh, but of course--that doesn't offend me in the least... <_<

I'll bet the f'ing morons haven't gotten so much as a Happy Meal from McD's for their trouble/stupidity...

Just another day in 'Socal...

I know you prolly can't see it in the pictures, but the 'Stang is sporting NOS, autobot, DUB and San Diego Chargers emblems. F**king awesome. Who needs Ram-Air when you can have all of that...

post-1069-1246924682_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1246924691_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1246924699_thumb.jpg