Macross Ace

Ganbare

Out today. Have it in hand. Alas only one chapter of Macross the First. But on the good side, it feels like it is a lot longer than a regular length chapter. And yes, there is a tuna.

Seven Chord has VF-9 action. Which is great to see. Though the VB-6 Kai (for lack of something better) is a bit of a turn off. I thought 4 barrels was enough? Anyhow...

just received Macross the First in the mail. Impressed with the way Mikimoto has played around with the roles of the characters yet keeping the essential story intact. Altough Minmay is quite different, seems more like a mix between Mylene and Sheryl.

I felt that the best twist is actually incorporating elements of the later episode when Misa shoots down Hikaru by accident.

Basically, without spoiling anything (although, how can I?), in this version, after Roy yells at Claudia to concentrate on the search for Hikaru and Claudia says that they've got 50,000 civilians in the shelter to bring into the ship, it is Misa who feels responsible for losing trace of VT-102 because it was through her actions and decisions that a civilian became involved in the battle, and now he is MIA.

This, along with a heightened sense of tension in Hikaru that I felt as he was faced with the monumental task of finding a way out of the ship, actually give a deeper insight into the characters. This one was very well done indeed.

As for 7th Chord... half of the time I cannot tell what is going on.

Haven't looked at the rest properly yet, but apparently there is a story with Isamu meeting Alto's dad... :rolleyes:

Edited by Renato

Haven't looked at the rest properly yet, but apparently there is a story with Isamu meeting Alto's dad... :rolleyes:

Is Isamu an old geezer? Everybody can't be Max.

VB-6 Kai

There's a Konig Monster with more than 4 barrels? Madness! :ph34r:

If its on City 7 better keep it away from those retirees.

Went to Kinokuniya today and picked up 2 copies of Macross the First Manga Vol.1 Have a couple issues of vol. 3 of Mac Ace on order from Kinokuniya as well. Man, I've spent a lot of money on books there, lately.

Went to Kinokuniya today and picked up 2 copies of Macross the First Manga Vol.1 Have a couple issues of vol. 3 of Mac Ace on order from Kinokuniya as well. Man, I've spent a lot of money on books there, lately.

They had Macross the First??? Dammit, I looked for it and didn't see it! <_<

There's a Konig Monster with more than 4 barrels? Madness! :ph34r:

It is. And it just isn't right. I mean, the VB-6's point is over kill simply by it's giant size and relatively menancing look. Triple or quadruple the number of barrels, and it just looks silly.

Of course, given that it's a spiritia warfare manga, it's forgiveable if all of the barrels are smaller and able to only fire speaker pods. But it still begs questions like: how does it transform? Does it even transform?

Nevertheless, I 2nd Renato - it's hard to tell what's going on half the time. Seeing the VF-9 is great, but it also reminded me how less-than-cool it looks in battroid mode. I'd like to say that I hope the artist will provide us with some new, dynamic art of angles and poses of the VF-9 that we haven't seen so far; but as I doubt the artist will focus on anything but character art...

Anyhow, did anyone notice the redesigned head on the VF-1D in Macross the First? I wasn't even aware of it until I saw the article at the back of the Macross the First #1 where they interview Tenjin Hidetaka, whom is the designer of the new head! Issue 3 of Macross Ace even has a joint Dengeki Hobby and Macross Ace sponsored kit bash of it made from a VF-1S!

Isn't that 7th Chord section the joke section of the magazine, which is probably why it doesn't make sense most of the time?

Nah, the gag mangas are "Zentran Bowl Macross Style" and "Super Class President Sheryl." 7th Chord is...well, I don't KNOW what it is, yet. But it doesn't seem to be a comedy.

I don't think... :unsure:

And yet Basara shows up (or at least someone who looks like him drawn by that artist)... didn't Basara leave the fleet? ... hmmm...

anyhow, custom VFs isn't new to Macross 7. And as the VFs popping up in that manga were all made in the decade or two before the events of M7, it's not a big stretch if they are modified.

Edited by sketchley

They had Macross the First??? Dammit, I looked for it and didn't see it!

When I was there, they had the Sheryl Nome artbook, the new False Diva Guidebook, Newtype featuring Macross F:False Diva and a vocal CD of the characters, an Macross the First (which I had to ask about). If you go back, go to the counter and ask them there. When I emailed them, they said they had it in stock. That's where I ordered my 3 copies of Macross Ace 3.

I believe the seocnd chapter said it was 7 years after Macross 7.

Just can't resist that number, can they? :rolleyes:

Seven years whether it is M7 or MD7 that would make it either 2052 or 2053.

M7 has us believe Project M is always on standby. Which would explain the new Customs. Still... a Konig Monster?!

Well if anything it offers maximum protection like Canaria's Konig Monster with Ranka.

Edited by RedWolf

Seven Chord has VF-9 action. Which is great to see. Though the VB-6 Kai (for lack of something better) is a bit of a turn off. I thought 4 barrels was enough? Anyhow...

Any chance someone could snap some pics (not asking for HQ scans or anything) of some of the mecha in 7th Chord? It sounds awesome.

Anyone mind putting a scan up? I'm curious about how the artist's design differs from the original if at all. Or by screen, do you mean in the same sense as Minmei/Basara in Frontier?

Here ya go:

post-939-1258336050_thumb.jpg

EDIT: And, appropriately, this post makes me "BOMBA!!" ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

just received Macross the First in the mail. Impressed with the way Mikimoto has played around with the roles of the characters yet keeping the essential story intact. Altough Minmay is quite different, seems more like a mix between Mylene and Sheryl.

I like how Mikimoto his doing Minmay.

She was always a tease and a flirt, now she is much more overt about it... B))

When I was there, they had the Sheryl Nome artbook, the new False Diva Guidebook, Newtype featuring Macross F:False Diva and a vocal CD of the characters, an Macross the First (which I had to ask about). If you go back, go to the counter and ask them there. When I emailed them, they said they had it in stock. That's where I ordered my 3 copies of Macross Ace 3.

I went to the OC branch on Sunday.

The guy insisted M:TF has not been published yet, and neither has False Diva Guidebook. He said he usually works at the LA store and didn't see any new Macross item worthy of bring down with him to OC.

:(

wtb some Macross respect from the OC store employees...