Macross Ace

Ganbare

Do you know how the Japanese spell the word "card"? It's kaado (カード). What about Mazinger Z? Majingaa Z (マジンガーZ). So yes, cord/code/chord in katakana will be written the same way (コード). You seem to have called the Japanese writing system stupid, haven't you?

To be fair the Japanese insistance on adopting foreign words that have equivalents in the native tongue and yet can't be identified by katakana is pretty stupid. Bick/Big West anyone?

To be fair the Japanese insistance on adopting foreign words that have equivalents in the native tongue and yet can't be identified by katakana is pretty stupid. Bick/Big West anyone?

Well I think so too (but I don't find it stupid, more like a quirk), but the original poster is using the idea that they can't be so stupid that they actually omitted "r", only to prove his case.

So, I've been meaning to ask this since the first issue came out. If you don't read Japanese at all, IS there any reason to buy this other than the good karma and intangible moral satisfaction of supporting the franchise and not committing piracy? Such things are nice and all but if that's all I get for my money I'd rather spend it on more tangible things like toys, and textbooks, and food. :unsure:

For instance, even though I can't read anything in the chronicles the amount of line art and full color illustrations make it close to wroth the price (although I've kind of given up on trying to get them in the hopes they'll release compiled volume eventually.)

If you buy them when they first are released they are pretty cheap. It's only when you are trying to pick up old issues that the ebay prices are jacked up.

Since it's new Macross art by Mikimoto they are quite nice to have in a Macross collection. The art is very nice. There are tons of nice ads to look at as well. I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I like looking at the art of the comics as well as the colorful ads. Also, since it's a retelling of the original story, it's not that hard to follow the story even though they change things up a bit and you can't read the words. I'd have to go back to see if there is any kind of line art sketches or anything. Maybe someone else can refresh us as to the complete contents.

Bottom line, if you are the type of person who likes to buy artbooks (as opposed to technical sketch books), then I would highly recommend picking this up as well. Also, since they don't come out very frequently you can probably get each issue as they are released and have a complete collection. Plus as a collectible I'm pretty sure they will go up in value, but that's never the reason why I would buy something Macross.

I noticed you're in the Bay area. Aren't there Japanese shops/bookstores around that would have these in stock? It would be worth your while to go and check it out. I have to get all of my Chronicles and Macross Ace from online shops like HLJ or Nippon Export.

Edited by sharky

In the spirit of healthy discussion:

"You seem to have called the Japanese writing system stupid, haven't you?"

I did actually, maybe not for the Japanese, they have some sort of magical connection between the many meanings on a single word, but they just failed to show me in writing how should I know to differentiate between a musical note, A vocal Chord or simply a small code ("You just know" is not a valid answer) maybe I should keep reading to find out?

But this reminds me of my old example of the Uber Popular anime HELLSING, I was determined on convince people that the main name of the guy was Akkard instead of Alucard (that obviously backwards is Dracula, Vlad the impaler, Nosferatu, Vlad Tepes) so after some research, I came onto this:

In the credits of Hellsing (the anime) please see the credits and on top of all the credits you will find these Katakana:

アーカード (a--ka--do) I don't see the "ru" in the middle or something resembling that so his name is either Akkad, or they used a funky spelling for Alucard.

Now in the credits of Castlevania SOTH, the character is called

アルカードが (a-ru-ka--do) That more or less sound directly like Alucard.

So, either :

1- they mispelled intentionally so they don't have problems with licenses or confusing the audience (or lazyness of the author)

2- the name of the character in hellsing is either Akkad or Akkard since sounds german to note the bloodline (and alucard is a very marketable name since is dracula backwards)

3-both lines mean the same (Which their are so adding an R didn't change a thing :p

so in the case of the Code/Chord/Cord katakana if they were to put a "Ru" (ル) would end up "Korudo" (Cold)

so the best I could come up with is : コー ル デュ (Koorudu) that more or less resemble "Chord" (和音 ) instead of

code ( コード) so why they spell it just like that is beyond my sense, I guess they don't care to sound correct.

Katakana fried my brain, when you go to the beach, do you like to see girls in bikini rather than "Wampisu"?

If you don't know what "wampisu" is, remember an anime where the guy is a pirate with rubber arms.

For those who have a copy of how many pages are exclusively dedicated to the Macross TV comic?

I'm thinking of getting a copy but I don't want to find out that just 10 pages out of a 100 is for Macross TV comic.

For those who have a copy of how many pages are exclusively dedicated to the Macross TV comic?

I'm thinking of getting a copy but I don't want to find out that just 10 pages out of a 100 is for Macross TV comic.

The magazine is almost 300 pages, of which about 80~85 contain Macross the First.

(...) ("You just know" is not a valid answer) maybe I should keep reading to find out?(...)

Actually, it is. It's called determining meaning from context.

It's something that everyone, everywhere has done when learning a language (either their native one, or additional ones).

Now, if you have a problem with the systems of writing that the Japanese use, STOP trying to translate and leave it for those that have a decent knowledge of the language.

Say - I was wondering if anyone if anyone had considered doing a scantrad of Macross The First or something like that, or in any case if anone would be interest in doing something like that.

We know how little chance there is to this this manga translated in any other language, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of people interested in a proper translation. I do have some experience in cleaning and editing RAW mangas pages (some might remember I did that for the first chapter of the Frontier manga last year), so I'd be more than willing to do this with Macross The First - that is of course someone could provide actual scans of the manga pages and a proper translation in english.

So this was just a thought I had - and I was wondering if other people might be intereted in "joining up" to do a nice scantrad of Macross The First :)

-Sergorn

Macross The First VOL.3

Chinese ver~~~

^^

http://www.macross.com.cn/bbs/read.php?tid=36778

VOL.4

http://www.macross.com.cn/bbs/read.php?tid=36820

nosebleed

haha

848_20090826120616_90f0e33d9f9fe9f227c20a3ec474ac7c.jpg

p.s.

キム・キャビロフ(Kim Kabirov)

5_24582_33bab8cbcad0dac.jpg

A.D. 2059, Macross 13's captain, New U.N. Spacy Lieutenant General, lead Battle 13 beat back Vajra's attack.

Edited by kresphy

I'm hoping for the chance to start working on inserting translated dialogue onto issue 2 soon. Being able to read it in English just makes the story Macross the First even more special when dealing with new Mikimoto art. While being able to find some of the scans on the net is cool, for those "considering" buying them, let me just say that owning the issues and having it in hand is well worth the trouble, and money. I buy the Gundam Ace as well, and these niche Ace books are really awesome.

No.

But, if Mikimoto is ever involved in a new Macross project that involves a 5 seconds of introduction animation from the SW1. That "new-old" footage would look it was from an animated version of Macross the First that was even animated.

I think Kreshpy meant Macross Frontier's Novel Vol.4. If I'm not mistaken he is telling us in the same volume Kim supposedly became Macross 13's captain with the rank of Lt. General and she commanded Battle 13 to fight the Vajra in 2059.

I haven't read the novel so I'm not sure but I thought Battle 13 was destroyed during the event of VF-X2 back in 2053? Then again, it could be a newly rebuilt Battle 13.

I think Kreshpy meant Macross Frontier's Novel Vol.4. If I'm not mistaken he is telling us in the same volume Kim supposedly became Macross 13's captain with the rank of Lt. General and she commanded Battle 13 to fight the Vajra in 2059.

I haven't read the novel so I'm not sure but I thought Battle 13 was destroyed during the event of VF-X2 back in 2053? Then again, it could be a newly rebuilt Battle 13.

Thanks! I too remember Battle 13 being in VFXII commanded by renegade UN units. Now I'm curious!

That's right the Macross 13 was destroyed in VF-X2. Maybe this is different Macross 13?

Got my first copy of this Macross Ace Mag today. Volume #2. Macross the First is pretty good. Now lets talk about the rest of the book...

Macross Fan Service. You really get to compare the two Macross Universes in this book. Sure there is some Fan Service in Macross First. There is even some in DYRL & Macross TV. You should see some of the billboards in Macross City. All that stuff was either just short teasing, quick glimpses or hidden easter eggs. The Macross F comic in this mag are just so overt fan service. We got everyone in a hot spring bath. Alpo dressed like a girl in another. I haven't tried reading the comic but by pictures alone I see a narrative with Classic Macross. The Frontier stuff just seems like silly nonsense with Sherly, Ranka dressed in skimpy clothes and Alpo wearing a dress.

Yay Macross F is the best Anime ever! A true heir to Macross Universe and all quality product.

That's right the Macross 13 was destroyed in VF-X2.

I dunno, I think it is VF-X2's 13.

p.s.

Because Triskaidekaphobia, so Macross 13 is not regular fleet, the name is inexistent Macross(存在しない), a secret fleet.

AD.2059, Focker is colonel(大佐), VF-X commander, Ozma's senior(先輩).

Edited by kresphy

Kreshpy, are you telling us that the novels retconned everything? I'm sorry, I'm very confused now so please bear with me:

Macross 13 is a secret fleet in 2059? Again, is this a newly reestablished fleet or a rewrite, ignoring the events of VF-X2?

Did you mean to say Aegis Focker, the hero of VF-X2, was Ozma's commander in 2059? Then again, was Ozma ever part of the VF-X Ravens in the first place prior to his quitting and joining SMS?

Finally, what is Triskaidekaphobia?

Kreshpy, are you telling us that the novels retconned everything? I'm sorry, I'm very confused now so please bear with me:

Macross 13 is a secret fleet in 2059? Again, is this a newly reestablished fleet or a rewrite, ignoring the events of VF-X2?

Did you mean to say Aegis Focker, the hero of VF-X2, was Ozma's commander in 2059? Then again, was Ozma ever part of the VF-X Ravens in the first place prior to his quitting and joining SMS?

Finally, what is Triskaidekaphobia?

I haven't really read the novels yet, but I've looked at them, and I don't think they really retcon anything, but they DO throw quite a few more homages in. I've noticed Emilia Jenius and Elma Hoyley get namechecked, Max and Milia show up in a flashback...and yes, there is a scene with Kim in Volume Four, towards the end...but I'll be damned if I can find it right now... :wacko:

My favorite homage that I've come across so far, though, is in a description of the café on Frontier, saying that it was permeated with the odor of Gitanes cigarettes and Turkish coffee, while a tango rhythm played.

EDIT: Oh, and "triskaidekaphobia" shouldn't be too hard to figure out...you know what "tri-" means as a prefix, right? And "deka-" (as in "decade") and the suffix "phobia" is well known to all Engligh speakers... ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

Sorry, I direct quote Japanese to you~~

= =

Macross 13 is a secret fleet in 2059?

YES, it is secret fleet

『マクロスF』小説版4巻では、"13"という忌み数のため正規の船団には加えられない「存在しないマクロス」とされている

(ただし、VF-X2ゲーム中のムービーでは、マクロス13の後にシティーを中心に各環境艦が放射状に接続されているシティー艦や付属艦が確認できる)。

バトル13が極秘で地球直衛任務にあたり、地球を襲ったバジュラを撃退する。艦長はかつてマクロスのブリッジオペレーターだったキム・キャビロフ中将。

新統合政府の事務総長と指揮下にある一部特殊部隊のみが存在を知っている。

Again, is this a newly reestablished fleet or a rewrite

I dunno

小説版に出てきたマクロス13がVF-X2の13と同じものか名前を引き継いだ別物かどうかも不明だが。

ignoring the events of VF-X2?

NO!!

VF-X2 event is a important thing for MF.

Did you mean to say Aegis Focker, the hero of VF-X2, was Ozma's commander in 2059?

Then again, was Ozma ever part of the VF-X Ravens in the first place prior to his quitting and joining SMS?

小説版『マクロスF』に登場。西暦2059年時点での階級は大佐であり、VF-Xの総指揮官を務める。設定はビンディランスルートに準拠しており、『マクロスF』の登場人物の一人であるオズマ・リーとは、オズマが新米だった頃からの先輩後輩の間柄であるとされている。

Finally, what is Triskaidekaphobia??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris meaning "3," kai meaning "and," and deka meaning "10") is fear of the number 13; it is a superstition and related to a specific fear of Friday the 13th, called paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia.

Edited by kresphy

Thanks Gubaba. I feel so silly now that I know what it means.

So even in Macross, they avoid using number 13 when numbering the fleets. I can see why they eventually named them like Galaxy and Frontier as opposed to numbered fleets like 7.

Looks like the curse came through somewhat. :)

Thanks for posting that kreshpy. Now I see what you mean.

So Battle 13 was Earth's secret defender eh? And the novel even deliberately left it vague if it has anything to do with VF-X2. Figures.

So was I right in guessing the Focker you mentioned earlier was Aegis?

Edited by Project Phoenix

Thanks Gubaba. I feel so silly now that I know what it means.

So even in Macross, they avoid using number 13 when numbering the fleets. I can see why they eventually named them like Galaxy and Frontier as opposed to numbered fleets like 7.

Looks like the curse came through somewhat. :)

Thanks for posting that kreshpy. Now I see what you mean.

So Battle 13 was Earth's secret defender eh? And the novel even deliberately left it vague if it has anything to do with VF-X2. Figures.

So was I right in guessing the Focker you mentioned earlier was Aegis?

Ahem, any help for us Japanese Impaired? I'm starving for information and these bits seem absolutely interesting! Thanks in advance for any clarification!