Macross Ace

Ganbare

From what I've seen - no. But then again, I also thought the DX looked great upon finally recieving it and seeing it with my own eyes... so maybe I suffer from "it looks great because I'm looking at it" syndrome :)

Pete

Been meaning to ask, does the VF-1 look any different in Macross The First?

Has Mikimoto tweaked or updated it at all?

Graham

The cockpit is the DYRL one. But except that I think it is the same of the tv series.

Been meaning to ask, does the VF-1 look any different in Macross The First?

Has Mikimoto tweaked or updated it at all?

Graham

I just got my copy of Mac Ace 002 today and the VF-1D's head does look different... I'll take a pic later today.

Yeah, the VF-1D has a new head. You can see it on the cover, although it's a bit small.

I am not exactly sure who redesigned it, though. Both Mikimoto and Tenjin have drawn it that way in this issue (though the change is never explicitly pointed out nor explained).

Picked this up the other day.

Minmay has a furry pet ala Mylene now? And Hikaru and Minmay now have met pre-crash landing? I liked the part where Hikaru is dissapointed coz Minmay wore track pants under her skirt. Just like real high school girls in Japan. lol.

VF-1D:

post-322-1246931281_thumb.jpg

post-322-1246931320_thumb.jpg

IT looks like he tried to stuff the D's trademark twin visors into the head of an A. It looks so bad that it actually feels off model at times (although there's one panel where it looks surprisingly like the classic one).

Nowhere yet. Even I haven't seen it yet.

And trust me, Gubaba has seen alot (intergalactic space rodents get around you know).

Gar! Every single news-agent in my area has sold out of the new edition of Mac Ace. One store owner even told me that one guy cleared him of his entire stock!

OH-TAH-KUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Meh. Wasn't ganna buy it anyway. Just wanted to flip through it. ^_^

Gubaba, sent you a pm about it. It was a lot of work, but I think it came out pretty well. Since it's not my translation, I can't, and won't put it up until there's an OK. Even then, Gubaba sent the translation, so he should be the one to decide when. Hopefully the true fans who can be respectful of the work done can treat it well if it does get on here. Can't wait to see vol.002. I put in my order for it, but it's been awhile.

Got mine yesterday. Yeah, the VF-1D head is little bit change and there are some different scene in Macross original. The parody getting better and now there are GAG for Macross 7 :lol: . Macross 7th Code is beyond expected, and the most suprising thing is there are gift for buying this magazine. A card from upcoming Macross Crusader card deck game.

Well, I think this one is worth to buy, and I don't regret it even a little expensive and long waited.

Is volume 1 officially sold out now that volume 2 is released? Or, is volume 1 still something that can be backordered?

Also, I am curious as to what I ordered on the Nippon Export online store. I noticed the "Irregular Issues". Does that mean that the issues do not come out regularly like once a week or once a month, or does it mean that the item itself has a defect. I'm hoping it's just a poorly translated notice.

The qty is a bit confusing as well. If I put down 2, does that mean that I will get vol 2 and then vol 3 eventually. Does putting 2 mean I will get vol 1 and vol 2 provided they still have copies of vol 1. Does it mean that I ordered 2 copies of the latest vol 2? If I put down 1, does that mean that I will get vol 1 or vol 2 since vol 2 is the newest one? I'm hoping someone who has already ordered from them will offer some insight as I am thinking there is a language barrier if I inquire myself.

http://www.nippon-export.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=28878

Edited by sharky

Ah man, wish I could help you out there, but I really don't know. I've never ordered from there. All I know is that I haven't been able to find any copies of the first issue anywhere (except maybe ebay), and that is quite pricey. Perhaps if you create a thread in the wanted forum, maybe someone's got an extra one they can sell you. Just be prepared to pay a little more, I think.

Is volume 1 officially sold out now that volume 2 is released? Or, is volume 1 still something that can be backordered?

Also, I am curious as to what I ordered on the Nippon Export online store. I noticed the "Irregular Issues". Does that mean that the issues do not come out regularly like once a week or once a month, or does it mean that the item itself has a defect. I'm hoping it's just a poorly translated notice.

The qty is a bit confusing as well. If I put down 2, does that mean that I will get vol 2 and then vol 3 eventually. Does putting 2 mean I will get vol 1 and vol 2 provided they still have copies of vol 1. Does it mean that I ordered 2 copies of the latest vol 2? If I put down 1, does that mean that I will get vol 1 or vol 2 since vol 2 is the newest one? I'm hoping someone who has already ordered from them will offer some insight as I am thinking there is a language barrier if I inquire myself.

http://www.nippon-export.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=28878

I think the "irregular issues" term refers to the publication schedule of the magazine. Regarding the quantity, I believe if you put 2 you get 2 and 3... and if they're out of vol. 002 you'll get 03 and 04. But I think it's easier if you e-mail them directly... their response time is not bad :)

I only ordered "1" and I got volume 002 from them.

Vol. 2 arrived yesterday. I'm really enjoying Macross the First. The artwork alone is worth the price. Pretty much a dream come true. However, I'm not so sure about this cute animal friend thing. What is that thing? Sort of looks like a cat with rabbit ears and glasses. WTF? I'm wondering, for those who can read Japanese, if there is any sort of explanation offered.

I think the "irregular issues" term refers to the publication schedule of the magazine. Regarding the quantity, I believe if you put 2 you get 2 and 3... and if they're out of vol. 002 you'll get 03 and 04. But I think it's easier if you e-mail them directly... their response time is not bad :)

I only ordered "1" and I got volume 002 from them.

Yup, you're right. I got vol. 2, and it was mint. Nippon Export's price is a little more than cover price, but the shipping was lower compared to Amazon. It was a good overall experience. I think I will continue to order from them in the future, but I will probably just place an order one at a time a few weeks before each issue is released.

Oh yeah, I'd like to point out that there's an ad for the Macross Crusade card game and it comes with a free card. I though that was kinda cool. My card had "Command" and the numbers "2", "3", "0" across the top and it had Minmay on the picture. I'm curious if everyone gets the same card in the ad. I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

Edited by sharky

Ah man, wish I could help you out there, but I really don't know. I've never ordered from there. All I know is that I haven't been able to find any copies of the first issue anywhere (except maybe ebay), and that is quite pricey. Perhaps if you create a thread in the wanted forum, maybe someone's got an extra one they can sell you. Just be prepared to pay a little more, I think.

No problem. I did pic up vol 1 way back when it was released. I ended up getting it on ebay for a decent price. Around $9 USD plus shipping IIRC. Higher than cover, but not outrageous like the current ebay listings.

My comment before where I was asking if vol 1 was sold out is that I thought Gubaba was waiting for the publisher to stop making vol 1 before he would release his translated version. I was just pointing that out to get him thinking about it. ;)

just for kicks, my project of translating the Macross ace 1 has been switched to "SPANISH" the reason is that Spanish speaking fans are more willing to help rather than the English ones, so as of now, the ACE 1-2 project in english won't be done by me.

In other news, MACROSS 7 MYLENE BEAT translated is coming out tomorrow, only 2 fans donated for it, kinda dissapointing that the macross fans of this forum aren't that supporting.

just for kicks, my project of translating the Macross ace 1 has been switched to "SPANISH" the reason is that Spanish speaking fans are more willing to help rather than the English ones, so as of now, the ACE 1-2 project in english won't be done by me.

In other news, MACROSS 7 MYLENE BEAT translated is coming out tomorrow, only 2 fans donated for it, kinda dissapointing that the macross fans of this forum aren't that supporting.

Do you have a blog or an update page? I had no idea you were doing this.

Edited by Sketch

Sound interesting. let see if I can give you some help or anything.

Ahhh, that's what I figured. Gubaba, how about we ask for donations for our work? LOL What a cash cow

Well - in all fairness, I think what the guy was doing (he posted in the For Sale thread too) was using the donations to pay professional translators (which are not hard to find in a big city) to translate the Manga and then probably doing the actual insertion of dialogue himself.

Nothing wrong with that.

The reason why I (speaking for myself) would prefer Gubaba's work isn't just because it will supposedly be free (and yeah, I'm technically supposed to be helping - which I wish I could/would do more - but I've had too much work to get to it)....

But mainly - I am looking forward to Gubaba's version because of HOW he does his translating work. First, I know it will be very very thorough and take account of other Macross work out there; with particular attention to the subtelties of the text and how it fits into the larger picture. I am also expecting a good number of footnotes, or at least an 'essay' style examination of some of the problems that come up when going from Japanese to english in a manga (where it's not just the translation, but getting it to fit in the bubble for instance).

Plus, since Gubaba is also doing subs, translating novels, and basically working his butt off on everything Macross related, I trust him to be able to do an excellent thorough job and also feel like it's good to support the effort.

If you guys ever need any financing - I would be happy to oblige. Fan magazines and fan publications are allowed to take the price of print/paper - aka cover their costs - at least that's what Transmasters UK (a UK based Transformers fanclub) does - and they are pretty tight with Furman (one of their people - Nick Roche - even went from drawing fan comics to doing IDW work).

If this other fellow is providing the same service but asking for donations - fine - no problem. No reason to get into a tiffy over it; especially since he's apparently also willing to get it done in Spanish. That's fine. The more the merrier.

Me - personally - I'll wait for the Version Gubaba of the Manga because I think it will be a lot more special than something done by a translator.

I mean - heck - I could just buy the manga in Japanese and pay a hundred bucks to somebody here in Warsaw to translate it from Japanese into English and provide me cliff notes too.

But there's something really special and endearing to me about Gubaba's work and how he does it.

Not everyone has to hold this opinion - so they can go about getting their translation in other ways; and other people can go about providing those ways.

I personally see no reason to get into a wider conversation on the subject. Live and let live.

Pete

Well - in all fairness, I think what the guy was doing (he posted in the For Sale thread too) was using the donations to pay professional translators (which are not hard to find in a big city) to translate the Manga and then probably doing the actual insertion of dialogue himself.

Nothing wrong with that.

The reason why I (speaking for myself) would prefer Gubaba's work isn't just because it will supposedly be free (and yeah, I'm technically supposed to be helping - which I wish I could/would do more - but I've had too much work to get to it)....

But mainly - I am looking forward to Gubaba's version because of HOW he does his translating work. First, I know it will be very very thorough and take account of other Macross work out there; with particular attention to the subtelties of the text and how it fits into the larger picture. I am also expecting a good number of footnotes, or at least an 'essay' style examination of some of the problems that come up when going from Japanese to english in a manga (where it's not just the translation, but getting it to fit in the bubble for instance).

Plus, since Gubaba is also doing subs, translating novels, and basically working his butt off on everything Macross related, I trust him to be able to do an excellent thorough job and also feel like it's good to support the effort.

If you guys ever need any financing - I would be happy to oblige. Fan magazines and fan publications are allowed to take the price of print/paper - aka cover their costs - at least that's what Transmasters UK (a UK based Transformers fanclub) does - and they are pretty tight with Furman (one of their people - Nick Roche - even went from drawing fan comics to doing IDW work).

If this other fellow is providing the same service but asking for donations - fine - no problem. No reason to get into a tiffy over it; especially since he's apparently also willing to get it done in Spanish. That's fine. The more the merrier.

Me - personally - I'll wait for the Version Gubaba of the Manga because I think it will be a lot more special than something done by a translator.

I mean - heck - I could just buy the manga in Japanese and pay a hundred bucks to somebody here in Warsaw to translate it from Japanese into English and provide me cliff notes too.

But there's something really special and endearing to me about Gubaba's work and how he does it.

Not everyone has to hold this opinion - so they can go about getting their translation in other ways; and other people can go about providing those ways.

I personally see no reason to get into a wider conversation on the subject. Live and let live.

Pete

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have no plans for an essay at this point. I *may* put in translation notes, but I really haven't been keeping track too much. Most of the Macross that I've translated so far has been pretty easy to render into English, free of a lot of the idioms and cultural references that make something like, say, "Urusei Yatsura" very difficult to translate.

My biggest problem has been making the novelization read well, since the original Japanese book is quite bare bones.

Anyway, I have nothing but respect and encouragement for Ichido Reichan's Macross Ace project. A while back, he actually asked me if we could collaborate, but his goals and mine are a little different, since he's just doing the magazine, and I'm trying to fit it all together into the larger Macross story.

As such, since Macross the First draws on both SDFM TV and DYRL, it would make no sense for me to release my version until I've finished both the TV series and DYRL (and Flashback). Which means that next year would be the earliest I would release the Galaxy Network translation. I've not even worrying about Macross 7th Chord or Macross F: Secret Visions yet, since those would be MUCH further on down the pike.

I'm also not planning on doing the articles and the interviews, and he is, so if that's something you're interested in, you won't get it from me. My project is already ambitious enough, thanks. ^_^

I hope you know I was just joking. I do respect anyone who puts the work out, and for some things, financial compensation may be necessary. Like Pete, I like Gubaba's style of research for translation, and the sheer love of the franchise carries a long way. The photoshop work I've done can be tedious at times, but I do that just so that my fellow MWers at some point may be able to enjoy what they support already, on another level (other than just looking at the beautiful pics). I bought 2 copies of the 1st issue, and am awaiting my 2 copies of the 2nd. So, hopefully Gubaba will be satisfied with the amount of time that's gone by with the 1st issue, and may decide to have it as a download or something.

IT looks like he tried to stuff the D's trademark twin visors into the head of an A. It looks so bad that it actually feels off model at times (although there's one panel where it looks surprisingly like the classic one).

Is not that bad. I actually like the re-design... ^_^