Macross Ace

Ganbare

Could be... but given the big bold "releasing on January 26", I'm guessing that it won't be exactly like pictured.

Shame that the right and bottom margins are cut off...

Scanlation Going clockwise:

the strongest unified Macross history magazine, released

Legend of Minmei

The three tv series are made into comics

Macross Ace original story (illegible stuff) Macross F

(illegible) Macross 7's code [7th code]

vol.001, 480 yen, Kadokawa (and a bunch of illegible stuff)

Nakamura, Nakajima, May'n (illegible - interview?)

Macross F (something something)

and Mikimoto's "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross the First"

Edited by sketchley

So is Macross the first supposed to be an adaption of the original Macross story? I would assume so considering it is called The First but you never know.

I gotta say that I have always loved Mikimoto's art.

Yes. It says "TV Anime Version Super Dimension Fortress Macross - COMPLETELY COMICALIZED!"

I would imagine this will take Mikimoto a number of years to do (hell, "Gundam the Origin" has been running for more than seven years, with at least two more to go)...makes me wonder what'll happen to "Ecole du Ciel."

Hikaru's helmet looks ever so slightly re-designed. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the fighters are drawn... Although, I imagine most of the cosmetic re-imaginings will be in character and clothes design. Minmay's hair and dress look much more up to date now.

I am really looking forward to this manga, but looking at this art, I do think it's a real shame and wasted opportunity that we didn't get Mikimoto as the designer for Mac Frontier.

Yes. It says "TV Anime Version Super Dimension Fortress Macross - COMPLETELY COMICALIZED!"

I would imagine this will take Mikimoto a number of years to do (hell, "Gundam the Origin" has been running for more than seven years, with at least two more to go)...makes me wonder what'll happen to "Ecole du Ciel."

That comic will be a must see then. Any recommendations on a place that will be selling Macross Ace? I don't imagine The First or any of the other stories will ever see a English release. So i guess I would just have to enjoy Mikimoto's art because I don't think I could figure out how to translate it.

That comic will be a must see then. Any recommendations on a place that will be selling Macross Ace? I don't imagine The First or any of the other stories will ever see a English release. So i guess I would just have to enjoy Mikimoto's art because I don't think I could figure out how to translate it.

You could go about it two ways: either get the magazine from your nearest Japanese book store or online vendor ('course, you should probably make sure they're carrying it first); or else, if you're not in a hurry and don't care about the magazine's articles, you could wait for the collected volumes. If the magazine is quarterly (and it is) and "Macross the First" will be 80 pages or so each issue, we'll probably get one or two volumes per year.

You could go about it two ways: either get the magazine from your nearest Japanese book store or online vendor ('course, you should probably make sure they're carrying it first); or else, if you're not in a hurry and don't care about the magazine's articles, you could wait for the collected volumes. If the magazine is quarterly (and it is) and "Macross the First" will be 80 pages or so each issue, we'll probably get one or two volumes per year.

I already secured a copy from the Kinokuniya San Jose store (should arrive at the end of February), so most likely Kinokuniyas would be a good bet. E-mail them and most likely they'll know the status or can order a copy. Here's the link from Kadokawa's website (although the ISBN number and cover illustration probably won't be revealed until 1/26).

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/bk_detail.php?pcd=200812000174

While I'm excited at the prospect of "Macross The First," Mikimoto's storytelling skills aren't that great (Macross 7 Trash was a disappointment, although it picked up towards the end). Also, I worry if it will ever be finished. Mikimoto's run of Ecole was spotty (breaks every few months, sometimes only 16 pages per month), and we were nearing the end of the story, only to be on indefinite hiatus. I have a feeling we won't see an end until after Macross the First ends... or until he gets tired.

Definitely interested to see the end of Gundam the Origin. With the original story section running longer than planned and Yasuhiko's interest in expanding the Zabi family's back story a bit, two years (four books) more isn't so bad (although I thought I could stop my Gundam Ace subscription after this year).

I already secured a copy from the Kinokuniya San Jose store (should arrive at the end of February), so most likely Kinokuniyas would be a good bet. E-mail them and most likely they'll know the status or can order a copy. Here's the link from Kadokawa's website (although the ISBN number and cover illustration probably won't be revealed until 1/26).

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/bk_detail.php?pcd=200812000174

While I'm excited at the prospect of "Macross The First," Mikimoto's storytelling skills aren't that great (Macross 7 Trash was a disappointment, although it picked up towards the end). Also, I worry if it will ever be finished. Mikimoto's run of Ecole was spotty (breaks every few months, sometimes only 16 pages per month), and we were nearing the end of the story, only to be on indefinite hiatus. I have a feeling we won't see an end until after Macross the First ends... or until he gets tired.

Definitely interested to see the end of Gundam the Origin. With the original story section running longer than planned and Yasuhiko's interest in expanding the Zabi family's back story a bit, two years (four books) more isn't so bad (although I thought I could stop my Gundam Ace subscription after this year).

If they can keep Mikimoto to the same schedule they've kept Yasuhiko to, we won't have a problem. If he ends up being more like, say, Sadamoto with Eva or (GOD FORBID!) Shirow with Appleseed (his abandoning of that title STILL really frosts me), then we're in trouble.

As for cancelling your Gundam Ace subscription, who knows? They could get Yasuhiko to stay on and do "Zeta Gundam the Origin." ;)

I noticed on the cover art that hikaru looks to be in a DYRL style flight suit. Makes me wonder if Mikimoto is going to combine elements of the tv series and film.

I noticed that, too...this could be the "real version" that people who care about that kind of canonicity have been clamoring for.

I noticed that, too...this could be the "real version" that people who care about that kind of canonicity have been clamoring for.

Didn't Kawamori say at some point that the real story was somewhere between SDF and DYRL? I wonder if Kawamori and Mikimoto had a discussion about combining the two continuities together for MACROSS the First or if Mikimoto will just do his own adaption and mix the stories the way he wants to. Either way it should be interesting to see what he does.

I am really excited to see MACROSS the First and how it turns out. I can't wait to see Mikimotos current look of the characters.

I do wonder how many years it's going to take to adapt the story but I imagine it will probably take a good while to do it.

Gundam was 43 episodes, and Gundam the Origin has been running for more than seven years, with at least two more to go.

Of course, Yasuhiko spent two and a half years detailing the backstory, which I doubt Mikimoto is going to do. Hell, he may not even adapt the last nine episodes, depending on how he feels about them (does anyone know? I know that kawamori thought they were unnecessary, but Ishiguro declares them his favorites, but I've never heard Mikimoto's thoughts on them).

I think we're looking at a good five or six years. At least.

Gundam was 43 episodes, and Gundam the Origin has been running for more than seven years, with at least two more to go.

Of course, Yasuhiko spent two and a half years detailing the backstory, which I doubt Mikimoto is going to do. Hell, he may not even adapt the last nine episodes, depending on how he feels about them (does anyone know? I know that kawamori thought they were unnecessary, but Ishiguro declares them his favorites, but I've never heard Mikimoto's thoughts on them).

I think we're looking at a good five or six years. At least.

Five to six years doesn't sound to bad. So if they put out two collections a year over say six years then we may get about twelve volumes then. So we could end up seeing a whole new continuity for the original Macross story if he doesn't do the nine episodes. He could instead do the launching of the Megaroad . Wasn't the launch of the Megaroad supposed to be the original end for the series ?

By the way who was Ishiguro? I haven't heard of him or I didn't pay enough attention to the credits.

Gubaba in your opinion what do you think Mikimoto should do. Go with the nine episodes or go with kawamori's view on them ?

Five to six years doesn't sound to bad. So if they put out two collections a year over say six years then we may get about twelve volumes then. So we could end up seeing a whole new continuity for the original Macross story if he doesn't do the nine episodes. He could instead do the launching of the Megaroad . Wasn't the launch of the Megaroad supposed to be the original end for the series ?

By the way who was Ishiguro? I haven't heard of him or I didn't pay enough attention to the credits.

Gubaba in your opinion what do you think Mikimoto should do. Go with the nine episodes or go with kawamori's view on them ?

Ishiguro was the director of the series (and co-director of DYRL).

And I'll have to see what Mikimoto does with the beginning of the series before I can guess what he should or shouldn't do with the end...I will say that I do like the final episodes of SDFM.

I just hope the series doesn't turn out like Macross 7 Trash...by about Volume Five, I was buying each book merely out of duty, thinking, "Will you freakin' END THE SERIES already?" I might feel that way about "Ecole du Ciel" as well, if I hadn't lost track of the story a couple of years ago.

Well, I was put through a bit of the ol' runaround at Kinokuniya yesterday evening, but finally I reserved two copies of the magazine. (First, they didn't know what I was talking about it. Then they found it on the computer, but said they couldn't order it, because their distributor had no copies. When I pointed out that that was because the magazine hadn't been released yet, they laboriously filled out an order form for it. And then, as they were putting it into the file, they discovered that five other people had ordered it as well, and that they'd gone through all that trouble for something already on file. Luckily, I used to work in a bookstore, so I've got patience and sympathy, but still...)

Well, I was put through a bit of the ol' runaround at Kinokuniya yesterday evening, but finally I reserved two copies of the magazine. (First, they didn't know what I was talking about it. Then they found it on the computer, but said they couldn't order it, because their distributor had no copies. When I pointed out that that was because the magazine hadn't been released yet, they laboriously filled out an order form for it. And then, as they were putting it into the file, they discovered that five other people had ordered it as well, and that they'd gone through all that trouble for something already on file. Luckily, I used to work in a bookstore, so I've got patience and sympathy, but still...)

Ah the fun of importing. I decided to order my copy from Amazon Japan. That seemed to be the best option for me since there aren't any stores around locally that would carry something like Macross Ace. I have never ordered from them before but hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I am curious, why did you order two copies? One to keep sealed and protected forever and one to look at and translate?

Wait, there's going to be a new animated series that gives us the true canon story and design??

Macross The First is a manga by Haruhiko Mikimoto that will be serialized in Macross Ace magazine coming out at the end of the month. The Macross the First story may be an adaption of the tv story with DYRL designs but we wont know for sure until it comes out. You never know it could also be a mix between tv and movie story.

I am curious, why did you order two copies? One to keep sealed and protected forever and one to look at and translate?

One to rip apart and scan, and one to keep.

Of course, just because I'm scanning it doesn't mean I'm going to upload it anytime soon.

Someday, though...when the stars are right...

One to rip apart and scan, and one to keep.

Of course, just because I'm scanning it doesn't mean I'm going to upload it anytime soon.

Someday, though...when the stars are right...

I would probably break down into tears if I had to take one apart :lol: . Especially if I was thinking about the cost of it getting shipped over here but then again if I bought two it wouldn't have cost to much more. But knowing as carefully as I tried to I would still probably mess up taking the book apart.