Viper's Creed Thread (can we make it official?)

RavenHawk

Just downloaded and watched Viper's Creed.

*** Spoilers ahead ***

First of all, I don't speak a word of Japanese, so I'm not too clear on what was going on, but just trying to do my best guess.

I'm assuming that each rider has one of these women back at head quarters that is kind of his/her personal operator or intel person?

Not sure how I feel about the mecha. As those of you who know me on here know, I am pretty obsessed with motorcycle mecha, but I don't know about this one. The arms and legs just seem a little too skinny for my taste. Not sure how they seem to skate along the highway in a few of the scenes, when the wheels are on the knees, not the feet. It's a bit disappointing that all the motorcycle mecha look identical except for the personalized sticker on the front, but if these are standard issue to these mercenaries, then I guess it makes sense. Similarly, though I prefer the MOSPEADA or BGC type of ride armor, this more Megazone-like mecha, with the rider sitting within a cockpit inside, probably also makes sense. Reminds me of the Paladins from Blassreiter.

Speaking of the highway, how come all the roads seem completely deserted?

I was impressed by the integration of CG and hand drawn animation here. Usually I find it pretty jarring, but it's pretty seemless here.

The cast of riders is what you would expect in an anime. Tough guy main character, good looking (blond jokester?), pretty woman, and large older oafish character.

Liked the action, though there was little else in this episode. The riding on the walls was cool, Cyclops dropping his weapons pods (sort of like shedding fastpacks in Macross) was visually nice, though after the big explosion, the hand sinking slowly below the water was a bit melodramatic.

Gorgeous cityscape at the end.

Directing seems pretty good, from what I can tell.

Have to say, I really like the artistic style during the closing credits.

That's about all I can say, based on not understanding any of the dialogue.

Now I'm waiting to see Rideback (downloaded the manga, but no signs of the anime yet).

Some pics of the Maneuver-Roid. It's very EX Garland like.

post-1819-1231368082_thumb.jpgpost-1819-1231368088_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting those. Not much for good images of it out there.

I agree with you on the Garland EX thing. This definitely looks more like Shinji Aramaki's Megazone stuff, especially the latter stuff that he did the mechanical designs for and co-directed.

Until this thread, I never even heard of this series! Also, it seems that none of the fan-subbers have picked this up, either.

It's a brand new show, with Shinji Aramaki involved, who is kind of the variable bike guru, in addition to having directed Appleseed: Ex Machina and a bunch of OVAs.

As for fan subbers, I hope it gets their attention soon, but I think it just premiered yesterday, the 6th, so that's probably why no one has subbed it yet.

I'm hoping that the first episode was just a big action sequence to get people interested, like an opening in a movie, and that then it gets interesting.

I WANT to like it... just don't yet...

I wonder if it takes place in the Megazone universe?

The designs are very much influenced by Hideki Kakinuma's Garland. Since Shinji Aramaki is directing the new show and was part of the team that created MZ23, it doesn't surprise me that the bikes resemble the Garlands.

The look of the "Maneuver Blade" (interesting name considering the Maneuver Slave was the battroid name for the Garland) reminds me of the "Original Garland" which had much smaller extremities than the Garland or Proto Garlands did.

I'll check it out for sure...

I wonder if it takes place in the Megazone universe?

The designs are very much influenced by Hideki Kakinuma's Garland. Since Shinji Aramaki is directing the new show and was part of the team that created MZ23, it doesn't surprise me that the bikes resemble the Garlands.

The look of the "Maneuver Blade" (interesting name considering the Maneuver Slave was the battroid name for the Garland) reminds me of the "Original Garland" which had much smaller extremities than the Garland or Proto Garlands did.

I'll check it out for sure...

I kind of doubt it's MEANT to be the same universe as Megazone, but I think it is definitely heavily influenced by it, or maybe carrying over some old ideas from it. Reminds me a bit of Megazone 23 Part III too.

Well, I watched episode 2 last night. Still not sure what to think. I think that, especially in this episode, by not speaking Japanese, I'm really missing a ton of the substance of it. All that's left, at that point, is kind of just more maneuver blades chasing bug-like robotic vehicles down strangely empty highways...

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 4.

As before, I don't speak any Japanese, and haven't been able to find any subs, so this is just my best understanding based on the animation.

First of all, I have to admit that the mecha designs are starting to grow on me. Would love to see Yamata make toys of this to go next to my Garlands.

I also appreciate the fact that each character looks genuinely different, without having to resort to crazy hair colors or something like that to differentiate them.

It is nice to see that the plotline is starting to expand beyond just one (or two) really long chases and shootouts along empty highways. It needs more, but, from what I can infer, I'm still not getting the feeling that there are any larger, multi-episode plots really building up. I hope I'm wrong. I guess I'm just more of a fan of the bigger, 26 or so episode long storylines, as opposed to "and this week, they fight villain X" type of series. Maybe this will be like Blassreiter, where it initially felt like separate episodes, but really were building up all along.

Of course, not understanding the dialogue, I may be completely wrong.

Where the heck are the fansubs?!?!

No kidding...

Have had no problem finding subs for Rideback (which I highly recommend), but none for Viper's Creed, and they both started within days of each other.

Just watched episode 5.

What the f*** is it will all of the property damage? Two buildings blown up, getting one sniper?

I find it strange that the bodyguards and the sniper all have the exact same mecha that the main characters do, just with different color schemes.

Ok, watched it. Not what I was expecting at all.

*** SPOILERS ***

Nice to see references to the collateral damage that they're doing, but I didn't realize just how MERCENARY this private army was. Each rider is out for themselves? Seems like we have a ton of very selfish characters. Not sure what to think yet. I assume that as time goes on they become more of a cohesive team, and maybe friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 2 with the subtitles.

Ok, have to admit, as disappointed as I am with this show from the episodes I've watched while unable to understand the dialog, now that I can fully understand what is going on, I think it may be building towards something interesting.

It's just building VERY slowly.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched episode 8.

Well, this series took a while to get going, but things are really coming together. Seems like characters and subplots from previous episodes that all seemed kind of throw-away are actually intermingling, and it's starting to get interesting.

Oh, and the ending to this episode... Wow... I did not see that coming at all!

EDIT:

Just noticed that the previous comment, also from me, was about having watched episode 2.Yes, I have watched 3-7 as well, just haven't seen anything that really made me want to comment until now. All decent storytelling, that nothing that blows me away (unlike Rideback).

Edited by RavenHawk

Episode 10:

Ok, now it's not just starting to get interesting or better, now it's really getting good.

Much better pacing, music that is really heightening the mood, various story elements coming together... now I feel like it was genuinely worth sitting through those earlier episodes.

I'm just worried that nobody else is still watching.

On a different note, this is starting to remind me of Blassreiter a bit. No zombie mutations going on or anything, but there is a certain mood and plot twist that just went on that does remind me of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is episode 12 the last episode of Viper's Creed?

If so, must not have been popular, as that seems way below typical anime series lengths.

I'm trying to get my info from:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/viperscreed/

http://viperscreed.jp/

but the translation program I'm using doesn't make much sense. Seems to be a blog entry saying episode 12 is the last one, but then another one saying stay tuned, like maybe there is a sequel or spinoff?

Can anyone help here?

Thanks.

Well, ANN lists the max number of episodes for Viper's Creed is 12. Same for Rideback.

That sucks. Viper's Creed was just starting to get interesting.

Rideback is the only other new show I was watching, and is the best show I've seen in a long time. Hate to think it's over already.

So are shows now just being written to be 12 episodes, as opposed to the older 24 to 36 episode formats?

Along a different line:

Blassreiter was 24 episodes, and we still haven't seen the Paladin toy that we saw a prototype of close to a year ago.

With Viper's Creed only being 12 episodes, does that mean we'll never see toys from it?

The show took a while to get going, but I really loved the mecha design and was hoping for toys or models.

As for Rideback, I saw some prototypes for a toy and figures from it a while back (on here, I think), but those looked like they were based on the manga designs, and not the anime.

Rideback is the only other new show I was watching, and is the best show I've seen in a long time. Hate to think it's over already.

So are shows now just being written to be 12 episodes, as opposed to the older 24 to 36 episode formats?

Don't worry dude, I don't know about Viper's Creed, but it would be pretty likely that MADHOUSE will make a second season for Rideback, so just hold your sit tight.

Maybe that's all they wanted to do. Normally, show lengths are set in stone during production. They may have only planned for 12 episodes from the start. I remember a TV show that only had and needed 10 episodes.

Maybe that's all they wanted to do. Normally, show lengths are set in stone during production. They may have only planned for 12 episodes from the start. I remember a TV show that only had and needed 10 episodes.

Yeah, I know, but there have been plenty of shows that got cut short too (Southern Cross, Megazone 23 pre production, others I can't think of right now), that's why I was afraid that had happened.

EDIT:

I guess it just felt like it got off to a really slow start for something scheduled to be so short.

Edited by RavenHawk

I asked Aramaki-san about this, and I'm guessing the last part depends on how well Viper's Creed did:

Viper's Creed is only 12 episode story.

I almost finished all works about this film.

I hope to make next 12 or 24 episode about this story,by full 3DCG, not anime, some day.