Official Macross posters

TheLoneWolf

Hey Everyone, 

I’m a complete novice to poster collecting so I have a general question. I want to start collecting some of the vintage SDFM and DYRL posters including some of the magazine inserts. But seeing so many available on eBay makes me concerned that there are lots of fakes. Is there anyway to tell a fake or are there eBay sellers I should avoid?

Also what are fair prices for many of these posters. Some of the ones I’m interested in average around $50, is that a fair price? Thanks!

2 hours ago, lochness said:

Hey Everyone, 

I’m a complete novice to poster collecting so I have a general question. I want to start collecting some of the vintage SDFM and DYRL posters including some of the magazine inserts. But seeing so many available on eBay makes me concerned that there are lots of fakes. Is there anyway to tell a fake or are there eBay sellers I should avoid?

Also what are fair prices for many of these posters. Some of the ones I’m interested in average around $50, is that a fair price? Thanks!

Your best bet is to buy directly from Japan.....try Yahoo Japan Auctions (YJA) and Mandarake.....you will need to use Buyee or some other proxy for YJA bidding/buying....for Mandarake, you can buy directly on the website....

Here are the links to Buyee and Mandarake....just do a search for "Macross posters"....

https://buyee.jp/

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/?lang=en

As for eBay...some are legit...others are not...if it is a magazine poster without folds...it probably is a fake.....

I also may have extras, but it would be easier for you to let me know in PM what specifically you are looking for....

As for pricing/value...it all depends on the poster, condition, etc...most are easily found, such as the magazine posters...there are just a handful that are very hard to find and thus would command a higher price.....

Edited by jvmacross

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might anyone know where I could get one of the following posters (Or ones similar)? I'm a big fan of Macross Plus in particular and I've long wanted one of these two for signing. Now that I know Guld's voice actor will be at a convention near me in a couple weeks I'm quite interested to track one down.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I already searched through YJP Auctions and Mandarake but both were long since sold out of any Macross Plus posters. I'm trying to do my due diligence ^_^

ClearPosterPlus.jpg.79a35c685ade22a0a4703cc3fb2750d5.jpg

macross-plus-yf21-yf19.jpg.8579cfdd351079808a03ddc592528cad.jpg

12357128_GuldIsamuatpeace.jpg.99e916b00fcc15d894d3e3283790743b.jpg

Edited by Jdvann09
Adding info for where I've tried looking for them already

1 hour ago, Jdvann09 said:

Might anyone know where I could get one of the following posters (Or ones similar)? I'm a big fan of Macross Plus in particular and I've long wanted one of these two for signing. Now that I know Guld's voice actor will be at a convention near me in a couple weeks I'm quite interested to track one down.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I already searched through YJP Auctions and Mandarake but both were long since sold out of any Macross Plus posters. I'm trying to do my due diligence ^_^

ClearPosterPlus.jpg.79a35c685ade22a0a4703cc3fb2750d5.jpg

this image would be your best bet in the form of a poster....as it is the basis for the promotional poster for the Macross PLus Movie Edition release back in '96.....

large.383711144_MacrossPlusMovieEditionp

If you are willing to look beyond posters....the same image is used for the film program to the Macross Plus Movie Edition made available at theatres in Japan when first released....those should be relatively easy to find on either YJA or eBay....

mp_movie_front.jpg

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

this image would be your best bet in the form of a poster....as it is the basis for the promotional poster for the Macross Pus Movie Edition release back in '96.....

large.383711144_MacrossPlusMovieEditionp

So if I understand you right, the picture I posted is a poster that exists, it's just harder to find? And in the meantime, the one you showed here is a more likely option?

If so, neat!

As for the program, I sincerely appreciate the alternative but I am looking for a poster of some kind. I'm hoping to frame a print of some kind, whether medium or large (full movie poster) size. So unless there are mini-prints of the program art, that's not something viable for me. Thanks for the idea though! I love alternate takes like that.

11 hours ago, Jdvann09 said:

So if I understand you right, the picture I posted is a poster that exists, it's just harder to find? And in the meantime, the one you showed here is a more likely option?

If so, neat!

As for the program, I sincerely appreciate the alternative but I am looking for a poster of some kind. I'm hoping to frame a print of some kind, whether medium or large (full movie poster) size. So unless there are mini-prints of the program art, that's not something viable for me. Thanks for the idea though! I love alternate takes like that.

Yes...the icon Isamu image WAS actualy used in an official Macross Plus promotional poster...it was used to promote the release of the Macross Plus Movie Edition in 1996....the other 2 images, IIRC, have never been used as the main image of anything offical in terms of Macross Plus posters or promotional materials (possibly used as pics within a poster or the back of a DVD/LD/Bluray case, etc.)...I've looked around but I cannot find it listed for sale anywhere at the moment...I am not sure if one will come up within your 2-week deadline.......good luck!  One other idea would be to try and find a Macross Plus cel...but not sure what kind of buget you had in mind...

45 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Yes...the icon Isamu image WAS actualy used in an official Macross Plus promotional poster...it was used to promote the release of the Macross Plus Movie Edition in 1996....the other 2 images, IIRC, have never been used as the main image of anything offical in terms of Macross Plus posters or promotional materials (possibly used as pics within a poster or the back of a DVD/LD/Bluray case, etc.)...I've looked around but I cannot find it listed for sale anywhere at the moment...I am not sure if one will come up within your 2-week deadline.......good luck!  One other idea would be to try and find a Macross Plus cel...but not sure what kind of buget you had in mind...

I'll keep an eye out then.  The ideal time is the next two weeks but I'm no stranger to the convention circuit so I'm sure with patience I can find that '96 promo poster and run into the Voice Actors again.

Thank you so much for your help with this.  Between your advice and that of someone who PM'd me, I was able to find this Mercari listing of the movie poster (variant?) and also some eBay options for individual YF-19 and YF-21 mini-prints.

I'll reply here with a link if I ever find the "clean" promo movie poster

3 minutes ago, Jdvann09 said:

I'll keep an eye out then.  The ideal time is the next two weeks but I'm no stranger to the convention circuit so I'm sure with patience I can find that '96 promo poster and run into the Voice Actors again.

Thank you so much for your help with this.  Between your advice and that of someone who PM'd me, I was able to find this Mercari listing of the movie poster (variant?) and also some eBay options for individual YF-19 and YF-21 mini-prints.

I'll reply here with a link if I ever find the "clean" promo movie poster

The Mercari link is for a legit copy of the poster....same one I referenced....the other 2 are fake, which if you are OK with that, you may as well try and find a hi-res version of the poster online and have it printed somewhere near you

That mercari link should have the poster to them in 3-5 days, then you can do the intl shippping DHL/EMS for another 3-5 days...just within your 2 week turn around if you stay on top of them for shipment.

You just missed out on an auction from a couple months ago that had a bunch of cool plus posters
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1005237792

It would have been cool to see a real sig next on this one, although maybe it would be confusing
BUT you could tell if it was legit by seeing if it matched LOL :)
image.png.db91dbb61a3b03b7cd2d81bc281cb0ad.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/14/2014 at 9:01 AM, jvmacross said:

Based on how often I've seen it offered on auction...I would say it is the rarer of the 2 Shogakukan Video promo posters I am aware of...this is the second one....

gallery_12176_640_22961.jpg

I just bought this poster just now. What is the size of the poster. I also have one. Completely made of foam.