9 hours ago, bioscythe said:

Toys. However I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that I was a bit late to the party and that Mr Moscato has already produced some excellent Bioroid models. As always his work is fantastic and it may make my offerings a bit redundant. Still, if people want pre-built, finished toys then I'm happy to accommodate.

Garage kits and finished toys are entirely different things. So don't let John's amazing kits prevent you from releasing your own Bioroids

2 hours ago, bioscythe said:

Alright! Nice to see another Bioroid Terminator! I like that you kind of went with a thinner body style. Almost wasp-like in appearance.

To my eye an important aspect of the armour was that it was bulky, almost like an overcoat, so I tried to keep that feeling while modelling something that could actually be worn by a person. Most areas are modelled faithfully but there was definitely more executive decision making on this than on the Bioroids or the vehicles.

I hope that explains where I was coming from with the sizing decisions I had to make. If it isn't to your taste I completely understand but I still very much appreciate the feedback!

Yep, there were plenty of times I went with artwork in the anime over the lineart. :unsure: Ultimately I would prefer something that looks more like a tactical vest and outfit as well.

Do you have any experience having CAD models made into action figures?

11 hours ago, bioscythe said:

Still, if people want pre-built, finished toys then I'm happy to accommodate.

Pre-built, finished toys are another product entirely from kits in my book. (I would also point out that the alien mothership has never been done in any form by anyone AFAIK.)

I for one would certainly be interested, depending on quality.

11 hours ago, bioscythe said:

It would certainly give them amazing control.

Yes and also fit in with the Martians essentially being Giant Brains, and their machines seeming more alive than them.

Scot Washburn gives a somewhat different explanation involving the use of telepathy in his Martian Invasion books. Those books are worth reading, particularly as some of it is from the Martian perspective.

12 hours ago, bioscythe said:

Aha, I have not read that yet. Thanks.

18 hours ago, vladykins said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

image.thumb.png.59a2bec3e78f6f79a9eefd402c8bcb27.png

Thank you my good sir.

12 hours ago, tekering said:

I appreciate you being open to constructive criticism, because there is an issue I noticed that bears mentioning.  It's a problem inherent to the medium, particularly when adapting hand-drawn artwork, but 3D models have too many perfectly straight lines, too many perfectly flat surfaces, too much perfect geometry evident.  Tatsunoko was particularly known for alien mecha designs that looked organic -- grown, rather than constructed -- and Southern Cross is a prominent example:

Absolutely! That's one of the main reasons I love the alien ships in Southern Cross so much. That organic, grown look to the technology makes the invaders feel truly alien. It's one of my favourite art styles and Tatsunoko did it better than anybody.

I 100% agree with you about CG art sometimes being too perfect and that rather unflattering shot of my mothership model couldn't be a better example. The pieces might be in the right place but everything is too clean and it has none of the charm of the line art. I mentioned in the description that the mothership is a work in progress and probably will be for the next year. Other projects have dragged me away and it hasn't received the attention it deserves.

While your models show a tremendous amount of time and effort, I think the individual shapes need more refinement to achieve that lumpy, botanical look.

Your criticism is totally valid and is something that will be addressed once all the structures are complete. I decided to leave the organicizing(?) of the ship until nearer the end as (once again) the ship's line art didn't match up and just making something that agreed with the three most common perspectives and still looked right was an enormous challenge. With all of the landmarks and details in place it will then get several beauty passes, one of which will be that rounding and shaping of the hull and details.

Sounds like we're all on the same page here! I'm really pleased to have found you guys :)

In other words, your math is showing.

That's a great way to put it! Well said!

18 hours ago, Tober said:

Yep, there were plenty of times I went with artwork in the anime over the lineart. :unsure: Ultimately I would prefer something that looks more like a tactical vest and outfit as well.

It's also fun to spot those moments in the show where the animator just basically traced the line art for a scene! I've spotted a few moments like that in all three series :)

18 hours ago, Tober said:

Do you have any experience having CAD models made into action figures?

Not exactly. I've been making props and models for a loooong time but not specifically turning my CG models into real life models until now. I was commissioned to make the Martian Fighting Machine from my CG model and I really enjoyed the challenges. Being the huge Robotech fan that I am the Bioroids seemed like a logical next step. I'll do this whether anyone else is interested or not since I think it'll be a lot of fun, but if I can make a few Southern Cross fans happy along the way that would be cool!

On 5/19/2021 at 3:35 AM, Podtastic said:

Pre-built, finished toys are another product entirely from kits in my book. (I would also point out that the alien mothership has never been done in any form by anyone AFAIK.)

I for one would certainly be interested, depending on quality.

That would be quite the challenge to make, even as a garage kit. I've thought about it on and off over the past couple of years. On the one hand it would be mostly a bunch of panels with some detail stamped on them and some cones - easy! But then I remember all of the cut outs filled with details and metallic rootlike structures and the fact that the ship is absolutely bristling with antennas, and I'm not so sure. I'd have to finish the CG model first anyway but it would be a cool thing to try. Maybe next year?

On 5/19/2021 at 3:35 AM, Podtastic said:

Scot Washburn gives a somewhat different explanation involving the use of telepathy in his Martian Invasion books. Those books are worth reading, particularly as some of it is from the Martian perspective.

Cool! I love stories told from the perspective of the other side, especially when the author has a really good take on the alien psychology.

Speaking of which, if you're a fan of the 1982 movie The Thing, there is a brilliant short story written from the alien's perspective:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

The guy's a brilliant writer and gives his stuff away for free.

Edited by bioscythe

6 hours ago, bioscythe said:

Speaking of which, if you're a fan of the 1982 movie The Thing, there is a brilliant short story written from the alien's perspective:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

I am.  

I have that short story and its also available as an audio.:)

And since we're doing recommendations, if you can get hold of  the following books by Christopher Rowley they are well worth the read:

From the Fenrille series

3422196.thumb.jpg.54192b7b2db0b838c0cc725f98739319.jpg

980255184_images(9).thumb.jpeg.7335c32a9b38281e7ef9fcafd4af1c0a.jpeg

From the Vang Series

download.thumb.jpeg.7401a3b7b1fc91e550fec12b0b2fd589.jpeg

1682353676_images(22).thumb.jpeg.4ea13e2b2bbebd547bc4c3828164f95e.jpeg

Quite rare as the author has not made digital copies available.

Edited by Podtastic

• 3 months later...

I heard Southern Cross was cancelled but it still feels complete to me in Robotech. I just watched this video from a Megazone 23 post.

I'll continue to say my favorites in Robotech are Southern Cross and New Generation. I need to hurry up and watch Orguss.

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

I heard Southern Cross was cancelled but it still feels complete to me in Robotech. I just watched this video from a Megazone 23 post.

I'll continue to say my favorites in Robotech are Southern Cross and New Generation. I need to hurry up and watch Orguss.

Agree on the favs.  My own Robotech tastes are contaminated by my love for the RPGs, but Southern Cross and New Gen are my favourite eras to play in.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

derivative.jpg.0c01303a0a9f7fa46af45453f7f30e11.jpg

original.jpg.c6fa24facba0d76965633f9e6747eaf6.jpg

Love it! :rofl:

I motion to rename the Bioroid the MS-06WPP Witness Protection Program Zaku.

Maybe their real origin is from all those Space Nazis who moved to Space Argentina and assumed new identities to avoid prosecution for Space War Crimes.

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

This comment may be tongue-in-cheek, but I am very serious when I say that I see no significant ressemblance.

Might be time to make an appointment with your ophthalmologist, then... because I'm pretty sure the rest of us can see it.

Hell, it's not just the outward appearance.  They outright used the Zaku's sound effects in their first appearance complete with iconic "glowing eye".  Their color schemes related to role match too.  You've got the Standard Model (the MS-06F Zaku II) and Early Type I Bioroid) in green, the improved performance model often used by unit leaders (the MS-07B Gouf and Early Type II Bioroid) in blue, and the super-tuned ace custom several times faster than the normal model that's used by the mysterious male antagonist who is a foil to the main character (the MS-06S Zaku II Command "Char Custom" and Early Type II Custom "Seifreit Weiss special").

Later types clearly ape the design of the MS-09 Dom and other Zeon mobile suits.

It's stupid levels of obvious that Ammonite was ripping of GundamMacross, and Yamato when they were making Southern Cross.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:21 AM, JetJockey said:

I'll continue to say my favorites in Robotech are Southern Cross and New Generation.

My faves in RT would be all the alien factions, which would be difficult to rank. Probably the Zentraedi would edge out the other two but only by a hair.

Ranking the humans is easy:

1) Southern Cross due to all the arming doublets

2) RDF due to the colourful flight suits and helmets

3) REF the cyclone helmet is cool, but not as much as the above

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Upcoming RT ASC RPG

... it's not, though.

After the Macross Saga core book, Strange Machine Games decided to consolidate the rest of Robotech into just two books.  That book is a combined Masters Saga/New Generation book.  Seems like they're not expecting the later sagas to sell very well.  Here's one of the other two covers.

image.jpeg.794e7a820fa9e968bd131f23aa1e2169.jpeg

Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles are also being consolidated into a single book.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... it's not, though.

After the Macross Saga core book, Strange Machine Games decided to consolidate the rest of Robotech into just two books.  That book is a combined Masters Saga/New Generation book.  Seems like they're not expecting the later sagas to sell very well.  Here's one of the other two covers.

image.jpeg.794e7a820fa9e968bd131f23aa1e2169.jpeg

Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles are also being consolidated into a single book.

Less merch to have to eat if when it bombs...

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Less merch to have to eat if when it bombs...

Nah... just a strategic adjustment for the lower level of fan/audience interest in the latter two Robotech sagas.

From a certain point of view, it makes good game sense in the context of the Robotech setting.  There wasn't really anything going on between the Macross Saga's end (2014) and Masters Saga's beginning (2029).  There was a brief but furious war that almost immediately segued into resistance against the Invid occupation, so combining those two into one book (Homefront) is actually a pretty good decision that would facilitate a campaign flowing directly from one into the other.  Consolidating both stories into one book also means they don't have to try to pad two separate books with stats for background mecha or unused concept art that 99% of their audience doesn't give a flip about the way the Palladium RPG did.  Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles are an even easier combination since they're the beginning and the end, respectively, of the same story arc and can just run as a sort of adventure manual by putting up the unused-in-the-animation setting materials and calling it a day.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah... just a strategic adjustment for the lower level of fan/audience interest in the latter two Robotech sagas.

From a certain point of view, it makes good game sense in the context of the Robotech setting.  There wasn't really anything going on between the Macross Saga's end (2014) and Masters Saga's beginning (2029).  There was a brief but furious war that almost immediately segued into resistance against the Invid occupation, so combining those two into one book (Homefront) is actually a pretty good decision that would facilitate a campaign flowing directly from one into the other.  Consolidating both stories into one book also means they don't have to try to pad two separate books with stats for background mecha or unused concept art that 99% of their audience doesn't give a flip about the way the Palladium RPG did.  Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles are an even easier combination since they're the beginning and the end, respectively, of the same story arc and can just run as a sort of adventure manual by putting up the unused-in-the-animation setting materials and calling it a day.

And with most of the rules in the first book, this would help bulk it up without shipping two skinny books.  Lookin' atchu there, Palladium <_<

25 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

And with most of the rules in the first book, this would help bulk it up without shipping two skinny books.  Lookin' atchu there, Palladium <_<

In all fairness, Strange Machine Games has a major advantage over Palladium Books in the management of their Robotech license:

Strange Machine Games knew from the start that there wasn't any more Robotech coming.

Palladium Books was stalling for time with its last couple books.  They were basically out of canon material by the time the New Gen book was being written.  Harmony Gold had said it planned to release new episodes of the RTSC OVA every two years, and that's what the RPG had been planned around.  That never came to pass, so they were stuck in a holding pattern waiting for new material that wasn't coming.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:30 PM, Podtastic said:

The. Upcoming RT ASC RPG from Strange Machine Games features more awesome art by Francisco Etchart.😀

242307584_10159816988296532_4563084525905169022_n.jpg.8782f88c0627ff85c1bfa86ee5c9b052.jpg

Was their Mactoss book any good if you don't play tabletop RPGs? I liked the Palladium books for their line art etc, but never played the game.

10 hours ago, Tober said:

Was their Mactoss book any good if you don't play tabletop RPGs? I liked the Palladium books for their line art etc, but never played the game.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

I enjoyed the game, but never liked the Palladium books for their line art. 😅

Hah!  Fortunately I enjoyed the books for both the game AND the line-art 😁

12 hours ago, Tober said:

IMO, it's better for that than for playing the game.