2 hours ago, tekering said:

I thought that was something Matchbox made up...

matchbox-robotech-bioroid-invid_1_306ba60436351e0061649ad963d2a39e.jpg.3e55036df39dc43ebce3f5d348e07023.jpg

It sure didn't come from any Southern Cross Bioroid design.  :huh:

Actually it did AFAIK. There are 7 Bioroid variants which does not include the so called "worker" (which I suspect is actually not even Tirolian/Zor)

I'll use the terms I am familiar with:

1 - Standard Blue 

2. Sub commander  Green

3. Leader Red

4. Scout (also seen in Sentinels)

5. Invid Fighter

Then not seen in the show:

6. Soldier (the toy depicted above and wrongly called an Invid Fighter)

7. Commander (Has a squarish visor)

Edited by Podtastic

6 hours ago, Tober said:

So I'm a bit confused, as usual. :unsure:

I thought there were 6 variants - including the so-called 'Bioroid Worker' (which was unseen in the anime).

Well, it will be my pleasure to put my skills to work providing clarity to all who wish it.

Studio Ammonite created line art for six specific variants of the Zor Bioroid, but none of them have names or specific roles or anything along those lines.  It's not even really clear why the Zor created different models and types of Bioroid, since nothing is said about how those models differ from each other in practical terms.  None of them have built-in weapons or any obvious difference in equipment besides occasionally using different models of handheld gun.  All the stuff about Soldiers, Leaders, Guards, etc. is Palladium Books embroidering the minimal official information to justify why there were different models in the first place.

The six types of Bioroid are as follows (art sourced from My Anime June 1984 issue):

Bioroid Type I (Early Period)

image.png.1c86b95654721c6dc8585bf90f3c205e.png

Bioroid Type II (Early Period)

image.png.359d5be3515578ec84f4eb086b111883.png

Bioroid Type I (Middle Period)

image.png.a08021bef5023efa9c5e37d44038a482.png

Bioroid Type II (Middle Period)

image.png.a78bf60906ae8149286c3a451aaf55c5.png

Bioroid Type I (Late Period)

image.png.5d196cedf7184cb9cdcf14b9a89d618f.png

Bioroid Type II (Late Period)

image.png.6eb01e45118ff8eeb2fdb829994ea0c1.png

Seifriet Weiss's Bioroid isn't a separate model, it's just an Early Period Bioroid Type II with a red paint job instead of green.  At one point in This is Animation 10 it's referred to as Type II Custom, but with no indication given as to whether it's actually customized in any way besides giving it a different color paint (or why).  The whole rationale for having the different types of Bioroid, including the bright red antagonist ace custom, seems to have been "Gundam did it, so we thought we should too", broadly mirroring the Zaku II's having a regular and "ace" version (with a red custom model for the main antagonist) followed by different-colored improvements like the blue Gouf, black Dom, and grey Gelgoog, etc.  Most folks only really remember the Early Period Bioroids, since they're the ones that were used for most of the series.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

matchbox-robotech-bioroid-invid_1_306ba60436351e0061649ad963d2a39e.jpg.3e55036df39dc43ebce3f5d348e07023.jpg

It sure didn't come from any Southern Cross Bioroid design.  :huh:

It did... it's the Bioroid Type I (Late Period).

They kind of drew it wrong though, the eyes are supposed to be horizontal and farther apart.

39 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, it will be my pleasure to put my skills to work providing clarity to all who wish it.

Awesome! Many thanks for that list! B)) I overlooked the Bioroid Type II (Late Period).

40 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The six types of Bioroid are as follows (art sourced from My Anime June 1984 issue):

Is this available anywhere, or are there any high resolution scans online? I'm very interested in the isometrics for the different bioroids.

42 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Seifriet Weiss's Bioroid isn't a separate model, it's just an Early Period Bioroid Type II with a red paint job instead of green.  At one point in This is Animation 10 it's referred to as Type II Custom, but with no indication given as to whether it's actually customized in any way besides giving it a different color paint (or why).  

The red one Seifriet uses has a different head and torso layout compared to the green one. At least in the Palladium books anyway... :unsure:

32 minutes ago, Tober said:

Is this available anywhere, or are there any high resolution scans online? I'm very interested in the isometrics for the different bioroids.

Not that I'm aware... you'd have to track down a physical copy on Mandarake, Yahoo! Auctions Japan, or a similar site.

Some, but not all, of the material from My Anime's June 1984 issue is in This is Animation 10, but the print quality is iffy and the size is poor in both.

32 minutes ago, Tober said:

The red one Seifriet uses has a different head and torso layout compared to the green one. At least in the Palladium books anyway... :unsure:

They're the same design, according to the OSM... just colored differently.

3 hours ago, Tober said:

Awesome! Many thanks for that list! B)) I overlooked the Bioroid Type II (Late Period).

The Red Bioroid is different to the Green.Bioroid-Commander-Red-TBr-I-Mk.III-Gisterdohl-Warlord-1.jpg.0c43acddc0f524a1bae647f38790d001.jpg 

In the anime.

snapshot_gr.png.07bb20f4dfcc66b08bc1ba0e67e3df6e.png

Edited by Podtastic

59 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

The Red Bioroid is different to the Green.

As noted previously, Seifreit Weiss's red Bioroid is explicitly and on no uncertain terms noted to be the same model as the green Bioroid (Early Period Bioroid Type II)... it's just a custom unit, while the greens are in their stock configuration.

(It's written up as 前期II型改 in This is Animation 10.) 

17 hours ago, Podtastic said:

115522933_119009736_10151432195989944_11587429915848145l10_n-Copy(2).jpg.f82e58205679ea2614a8af484baf5128.jpgJust out of curiosity, how popular is this model Bioroid amongst Bioroid fans? In RT it was called the Invid Fighter. 

Note I'm only asking the fans here, no useless anti-comments please. 

Personally, I never cared too much for this design, but I do love the Early Types.

Sooo many bioroids!  Come on Bandai!  Hi Metal R us some Southern Cross! Millions will sell! ALLL the bioroids! Zor drop ship! Hovertanks, helicopter thingies! Even that fugly thing that half transforms and looks like a toe!  ALL of it dammit! Now! :crazy:

....I may have had to much sugar today...:spiteful:

40 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Sooo many bioroids!  Come on Bandai!  Hi Metal R us some Southern Cross! Millions will sell! ALLL the bioroids! Zor drop ship! Hovertanks, helicopter thingies! Even that fugly thing that half transforms and looks like a toe!  ALL of it dammit! Now! :crazy:

I will now see the Logan as nothing more than a toe.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

I'd wager it's also three times faster than a normal bioroid.

Most assuredly.  :lol:

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It did... it's the Bioroid Type I (Late Period).

They kind of drew it wrong though, the eyes are supposed to be horizontal and farther apart.

Well, I'll be damned...  There it is, in black and white.  I even have that book!  :o

1838056432_latetypeI.jpg.c0fb1151fa7894efaa796d167a025ef1.jpg

I'd always assumed it was a Matchbox invention, since it never appeared in the animation.  We must always be prepared to challenge our assumptions, regardless of how many decades we've held onto them... especially those Robotech has propagated.  

"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth."  :p

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As noted previously, Seifreit Weiss's red Bioroid is explicitly and on no uncertain terms noted to be the same model as the green Bioroid (Early Period Bioroid Type II)... it's just a custom unit, while the greens are in their stock configuration.

The same book illustrates considerable customization, however; at the very least, the head and chest are significantly different.

biocompare.jpg.84b823c0c4ee1255ef020ef94ac52b48.jpg

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not that I'm aware... you'd have to track down a physical copy on Mandarake, Yahoo! Auctions Japan, or a similar site.

Some, but not all, of the material from My Anime's June 1984 issue is in This is Animation 10, but the print quality is iffy and the size is poor in both.

Thanks again! :)

Is this the one?  https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1148078918&ref=list&keyword=My Anime June 1984&lang=en

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

... y'know, if it looks like a cartoony postage stamp and makes you see sounds, that's acid not sugar.

8 hours ago, tekering said:

Well, I'll be damned...  There it is, in black and white.  I even have that book!  :o

Yup.  Like I said, most people legitimately do not remember that there were other types of Bioroid than the Early Period Type I and II.

The same book illustrates considerable customization, however; at the very least, the head and chest are significantly different.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd call that "considerable" customization.  

Seifreit's has nipple piercings or whatever, that thing on its chest that looks like a butt moved up a bit, and the clamps on the polarized sensor cover are a different shape, but that's pretty cosmetic stuff.  It's nothing that really changed the shape, profile, or capabilities of the mecha.  It's surface detail.

1 hour ago, Tober said:

Yeah, that's the right issue... if you go hunting for it make sure you get the scenario file with it.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Just now, Tober said:

Is that the appendix Mandrake they refer to in the listing?

Yeah, it's the document mentioned on the cover as "Scenario File".  I've got a lead on scans for you though, so I may be able to save you a hunt.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, it's the document mentioned on the cover as "Scenario File".  I've got a lead on scans for you though, so I may be able to save you a hunt.

That would be cool, but I bought that item before I posted the link, so hopefully I will have the book in a week or so. Awaiting Mandrake confirmation.

Many thanks again, Seto! :D

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

We just need to find a way to feed that sugar to the Japanese market. 

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

A custom unit is still a variant though. Particularly for the purposes of toy collecting.  

So six production models but seven variants for adherents to the OSM, for RT fans seven models. :)

Edited by Podtastic

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

We just need to find a way to feed that sugar to the Japanese market. 

You're gonna need something way stronger to get the Japanese market to care about Southern Cross.

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

A custom unit is still a variant though. Particularly for the purposes of toy collecting.  

For the purposes of toy collecting, perhaps... but that's as far as it goes.

In terms of proper classification, it's six models of Bioroid and a one-off/custom unit.  It wouldn't be called a variant because "variant" implies that it's a productionized derivative that's being mass produced... i.e. that there is more than one of that specific unit.  A custom unit is a one-of-a-kind unit that deviates from the production specification.  Seifreit's Bioroid is a custom unit.  (I realize I'm splitting hairs over terminology, but I am a big believer in precision when it comes to things like this... esp. since there's so little in the way of accurate info on the series out there.)

I don't recall the creators of Southern Cross ever giving any real indication as to why Seifreit was given a one-of-a-kind Bioroid when he was no different from any other abducted and brainwashed soldier the Zor used.  It's clear in production terms they wanted an enemy ace character and went with a very blatant homage to iconic rival ace Char Aznable, but I don't recall ever seeing an in-story explanation for it.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, Podtastic said:

Sure... anybody have Zebediah Killgrave's number? 

I don't think he's got the necessary power level... you might wanna talk to Heaven Ascended DIO to see if he can slap you into an alternate reality where Japanese audiences actually watched Southern Cross.

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I've been trying to find official line art of the different Bioroids' rear

Does something like that exist?

Yes, but... well... it's not at anything like a usable size or level of clarity.

You can see bits and pieces of it in the Bioroid images I posted a few posts back.  The plan view images of the Bioroids are partially obscured by other line art that was printed on top of them, and the whole three-view diagram is also only about the size of an index card.

14 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Hi

I've been trying to find official line art of the different Bioroids' rear

Does something like that exist?

I don't know about "official" but something like this? 

TBr-I-Mk.I-Nousdohl-technical-illustrations-1.thumb.jpg.7c89884d855b2d0fa858d5d206b59c78.jpg4ddf7d4dc171v47888.thumb.gif.569ced56253fc41eb39ce1a994d182ce.gif

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

see if he can slap you into an alternate reality where Japanese audiences actually watched Southern Cross.

Ah but if I went to that extent my nature would rather be to slap our Japanese there. Making our world better through an interdimensional cultural exchange if you will. 

And hopefully it's a reality where there are no idols, full on mecha action and the toy companies only make enemy mecha. 

17 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

I don't know about "official" but something like this? 

TBr-I-Mk.I-Nousdohl-technical-illustrations-1.thumb.jpg.7c89884d855b2d0fa858d5d206b59c78.jpg

Hm... I don't know about official.  It's not one of the three front/side/rear view pieces I've seen in official publications.  Those were all Type I Bioroids, and this piece is a Type II.  

Official or not, this looks pretty accurate to me.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:27 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

You're gonna need something way stronger to get the Japanese market to care about Southern Cross.

For the purposes of toy collecting, perhaps... but that's as far as it goes.

In terms of proper classification, it's six models of Bioroid and a one-off/custom unit.  It wouldn't be called a variant because "variant" implies that it's a productionized derivative that's being mass produced... i.e. that there is more than one of that specific unit.  A custom unit is a one-of-a-kind unit that deviates from the production specification.  Seifreit's Bioroid is a custom unit.  (I realize I'm splitting hairs over terminology, but I am a big believer in precision when it comes to things like this... esp. since there's so little in the way of accurate info on the series out there.)

I don't recall the creators of Southern Cross ever giving any real indication as to why Seifreit was given a one-of-a-kind Bioroid when he was no different from any other abducted and brainwashed soldier the Zor used.  It's clear in production terms they wanted an enemy ace character and went with a very blatant homage to iconic rival ace Char Aznable, but I don't recall ever seeing an in-story explanation for it.

Probably because they didn't get that far before the series got its' pink slip.

27 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Probably because they didn't get that far before the series got its' pink slip.

I have to wonder, because it kind of fell by the wayside once Seifreit was captured and "rehabilitated" by the Southern Cross Army.

IIRC he was just some guy from one of the space stations the Zor attacked.  Nobody special.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:03 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

So this arrived today.

thumbnail_20200930_131038

I couldn't find any of those isographic images tho. :unsure:

I might need your help finding those scans after all.

• 2 months later...

I forgot about this thread. But wait... that's a Robotech collectible. Hehehe. :lol: 

Let's also post here Kids Logic 1/6 Pre-painted Statue of Dana Sterling. Errr... I mean, Jeanna Francaix. :rolleyes:

kl01.jpg

kl03.jpg

kl07.jpg

kl09.jpg

kl11.jpg

And with its beautiful painter for size comparison... Titinun. :wub: 

TTD1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since finding an original 1984 broadcast of Southern Cross, I've taken the time to try and correct the color-timing on the ADV box set release from 2003:

color-corrected_comparison.jpg

ADV's masters on the left, my color-corrected version on the right.

It's still a soft, low-contrast transfer from two decades ago, but at least the colors aren't so messed up this time. ^_^

On 2/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, jenius said:

I find this all way too interesting. The lower left DVD release looks undersaturated except it's not uniform. Like the blue of the uniform. If you just desaturated the scene, it would look like the gray that we see in the upper right. Though obviously not as sharp, from a purely color perspective, I really prefer the upper left in both examples.

I did my best to reproduce them using the superior DVD video source.  If there's demand, I can upload further episodes. 

On 2/25/2021 at 12:45 PM, DewPoint said:

I don't fully remember off the top of my head, but was DVD NTSC?  And there were some color issues whem playing back NTSC video on LCD based tv/monitors.

Standard-definition DVDs are either NTSC or PAL, certainly; however, both Japan and North America use NTSC.

Naturally, your results may vary, based on the specific configuration of your monitor. 

Edited by tekering