The legs should be bulkier for sure, otherwise I think it looks good for the scale... :unsure:

I am assuming that the gaps are due to it being a resin prototype tho. :unsure:

Otherwise you could post on their Facebook page seeing as they tend to be more accepting of constructive criticism.

1 hour ago, captain america said:

I hate being a voice of dissent, but that's just horrible. Whatever may have been said about the aborted MAAS offering, the previews they had shown were leaps and bounds ahead of this. When will people ever learn that quality is the cheapest and fastest path to success?

I would happily sell my brother's left kidney to get a Hovertank kit from you, Cap'n.

I got excited for this toy for about thirty seconds, but then the awfulness became too apparent and once again I'm left with a gaping void for good Southern Cross mecha toys.

@tekering It's a bad habit of mine, being too polite at times versus being brutally blunt. B))

@captain america One of these days you'll shock the hell out of all of us with your own custom 1/20 scale Spratas Hovertank kit.  (when pigs fly of course) :D

12 hours ago, captain america said:

I hate being a voice of dissent, but that's just horrible. Whatever may have been said about the aborted MAAS offering, the previews they had shown were leaps and bounds ahead of this. When will people ever learn that quality is the cheapest and fastest path to success?

Well it IS branded as the dreaded R-word... they haven't learned that lesson in 35 years, so it's unlikely they intend to start now.

20 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well it IS branded as the dreaded R-word... they haven't learned that lesson in 35 years, so it's unlikely they intend to start now.

Now on that one I have to disagree. The ONLY market for Southern Cross merchandise IS Robotech. Trying to make it 'official Southern Cross' merch would have been a needless complication.

1 minute ago, jenius said:

Now on that one I have to disagree. The ONLY market for Southern Cross merchandise IS Robotech. Trying to make it 'official Southern Cross' merch would have been a needless complication.

You're not wrong, but that's not really what I was getting at... poor quality is simply Robotech's natural condition, they've seemingly never considered not doing a sh*tty job because the fans will buy whatever they make regardless of quality.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

the fans will buy whatever they make regardless of quality

MEP's Facebook page would seem to bear that out, I fear.  I stumbled upon their post with the Hovertank prototype pics, and of the 50 comments posted in response, only ONE comment was critical of the product...

...and it was the comment I'd posted.  <_<

1 hour ago, tekering said:

MEP's Facebook page would seem to bear that out, I fear.  I stumbled upon their post with the Hovertank prototype pics, and of the 50 comments posted in response, only ONE comment was critical of the product...

...and it was the comment I'd posted.  <_<

It's unsurprising to say the least... with animated Robotech once again dead after a pair of embarrassing failures, no sign of the proposed live action movie, and Titan's one comic being regarded as something of a cringeworthy joke, these "indie" toys are about all Robotech fans have to cling to to convince themselves the franchise isn't dead.

Admittedly, I was rather surprised to see another indie outfit trying their hand at Southern Cross so soon after the last outfit went under in a case of stupidity-induced self-destruction.  The scale is a REALLY weird choice that I suspect is going to give them a LOT of issues.  1/48 was the smallest scale Imai Kagaku considered doing a model kit of the Spartas at, and it wasn't an articulated model.  A 129mm/5.1" inch tall fully-articulated transforming toy is going to be pretty fragile.  I'd have expected them to go for something more like 1/24 (a 10 1/8" toy).

Lots of transformers are around that size, though. Maybe the problem is that they just keep making them too detailed. Like, there were plenty of $7 scout class transformers back in the mid 2000s and they averaged around 4". Transformed fine, a bit simple but fun to play. I have a few of them sitting on my shelves and still grab them regularly to play with. Instead of going all in on detail, why not just make a 5" hovertank transformer that looks like an actual toy, and plays/feels like one too?

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

What does a franchise being current/trending or not have to do with wanting to collect stuff from it?

It's harder to collect stuff from a dead franchise, 'cause there's less of it to collect.  :p

Take Exosquad, for example.  The show was sophisticated and mature, the toys were terrific for their time, but even incorporating Robotech into the toy line couldn't save the franchise.  25 years on, I think it's safe to assume there will never be any more Exosquad merchandise for fans to collect.

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I don't follow this. What does a franchise being current/trending or not have to do with wanting to collect stuff from it?

It has nothing to do with being current or trending.  It's about Robotech fans being desperate to have SOMETHING to convince themselves Robotech hasn't kicked up its heels and died.

Robotech's "owners" have once again given up on developing a continuation of the animated Robotech series after a string of embarrassing failures.  As in the 90's, the only signs of life from the brand are a handful of fourth-rate licensees putting out a trickle of embarrassingly poor-quality merchandise that fans of any competently-run franchise would've laughed out of town.  Even though the quality is insultingly low, Robotech fans will still buy it and even sing its praises to each other even if they don't actually want it or privately think it's trash just because it's SOMETHING Robotech-branded... and therefore proof that Robotech isn't dead yet.   They buy things like that to validate their faith in the brand.

To be honest, I really don’t care if the product is branded Robotech or Southern Cross. I just want cool items like toys or kits that actually look good. I grew up with Robotech and ended up loving the original  Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada. I just want cool stuff from who ever makes it. Macross and Mospeada have great items from overseas, but unfortunately Southern Cross doesn’t really get much attention. But I still want a quality product not just an odd compromise.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:45 AM, Big s said:

To be honest, I really don’t care if the product is branded Robotech or Southern Cross. I just want cool items like toys or kits that actually look good. I grew up with Robotech and ended up loving the original  Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada. I just want cool stuff from who ever makes it. Macross and Mospeada have great items from overseas, but unfortunately Southern Cross doesn’t really get much attention. But I still want a quality product not just an odd compromise.

+infinity

" Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...."

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

" Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...."

Much like the Robotech fandom, Khorne's standards have gotten lower over the years...

On 2/29/2020 at 2:45 AM, Big s said:

But I still want a quality product not just an odd compromise.

... which, in the case of Southern Cross, is asking the impossible.  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I would have bought about 5. 

One of these days whether it be MAAS, KitzConcepts or some Genius in Canada and when we have a far better economy, someone will pull the trigger with Southern Cross toys. 

Not the best Anime of all time however the Hovertank & Bioroid are classic designs & need to come to life!! 

On 5/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Hovertank & Bioroid are classic designs & need to come to life!! 

100%.

And someone also needs to give us Eldar (McFarlane toys mb?) and Protoss figures one day. Who wouldn't buy a quality Protoss Zealot?

Or the beloved Protoss Scout?

IMG-20200417-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Podtastic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...