VF-2SS Max Special

PetarB

bclubmag.jpg

I've always loved the above image. And the fighter mode of the VF-2SS is one of my favourite mecha. Just look at WMCheng's build!

Although the standard white all over scheme looks great too, I wanted to do something different. I also needed to take a little break from sculpting before I finalise couple of products available later this month.

Below will chronicle my journey to get there. I usually try and do one build over the Christmas holidays, so hopefully I can finish this before they are over for me. I've done all the hard bits now, anyway, as you will see. I've made the colours slightly darker than the above, as I alread have a light blue Valk it will sit next to and I definitely do not want them looking the same.

I wont be putting the extra armour and guns on this one, just the atmospheric style version. I think the original B-Club magazine cover art may be inspired by Max's colours, if not, well, my version will be his anyway! I can't remember if he made a guest appearance even in Macross II, (over 10 years since I saw it).

Anyway here we go...

1.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

postscript. just as i finished this post my youngest daughter just pulled down the drying legs - right next to me. there are chips all over them, I could cry...

Edited by PetarB

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

judging by your awesome VF-4 custom scheme, this will be great... any personal custom tiny pilot planned for it??

sorry if this is a dumb question (drunk), what exactly did you do with the clear wrapper and canopy?

Edited by Valkyrie addict

what exactly did you do with the clear wrapper and canopy?

I guess I wanted to document the process of how I made the canopy. Firstly, as I'd already painted the area, I put in the clear wrapper to protect it, while I mashed in some epoxy putty to get the shape of the cockpit tub. This would form the base of the canopy buck I was making. Once this was semi dry, I pulled it out, aided by the clear wrapper. I then put some Mori-Mori on top of this, (next pic) and once it dried, shaped it to the canopy shape I liked - kind of angular at the front, and rounded at the back. I then mounted it on something tough. Some acetate was heated up, and pulled down over the top of it. Once trimmed, this produced the perfectly clear canopy you see in the very last picture.

The resin canopy that came with the kit wasn't too bad as resin canopies go, but as I'm going to be tinting this, I wanted it as clear as possible, so I had to manufacture my own.

I guess I wanted to document the process of how I made the canopy. Firstly, as I'd already painted the area, I put in the clear wrapper to protect it, while I mashed in some epoxy putty to get the shape of the cockpit tub. This would form the base of the canopy buck I was making. Once this was semi dry, I pulled it out, aided by the clear wrapper. I then put some Mori-Mori on top of this, (next pic) and once it dried, shaped it to the canopy shape I liked - kind of angular at the front, and rounded at the back. I then mounted it on something tough. Some acetate was heated up, and pulled down over the top of it. Once trimmed, this produced the perfectly clear canopy you see in the very last picture.

The resin canopy that came with the kit wasn't too bad as resin canopies go, but as I'm going to be tinting this, I wanted it as clear as possible, so I had to manufacture my own.

Wow PetarB thanks for that! Can I ask how you heated up the acetate without burning it? And where did you get your acetate from? Was it just regular transparency paper?

Wow PetarB thanks for that! Can I ask how you heated up the acetate without burning it? And where did you get your acetate from? Was it just regular transparency paper?

I just used a candle. You will probably screw-up once (like I did) before you get to understand the 'slump point' for the acetate before you burn it. The acetate was just some stuff I had from a presentation binder. Just experiment, and remember... safety first! B))

Would you be able to sell a canopy copy?

That building up looks great. I like the blue scheme pretty much. I was thinking on doing that on mine on a lighter blue but not "gay blue" or light gray..

I need to sand mine and get the old paint off first

Where can one get this kit? Are they just lucky finds in the for sale section and on e-bay?

Chris

Extremely rare kit, not sure if it's ever been recast even. This is the 1/72 resin kit however, the 1/100 kit from bandai that's transformable is readily available.

Edited by Grayson72

Getting a few PMs for the canopy, I will sort something out and get back to you.

Meanwhile, here's some more progress. The seat colour should make the pilot pop out a bit more, although you wont see much of it. It's painted red in homage to my old car, a tricked-up MX6 which had the most comfortable red seats... I also detailed up the console area but you will see more of that once I've finished it.

10.jpg

9.jpg

Going away for a few days on Monday, not sure if I will get to finish it by then, so it might be a while till next update. Thanks for looking!

Some more comments I missed.

The acetate canopy is quite stiff, but you can squeeze it with your fingers and it immediately pops back into shape. The actual geometry (lofted arches) also gives structural strength.

Ah Electric Indigo, I always like seeing aircraft from you. Come one and build one! I think I went too light, and I will probably end up going 'off-scheme' anyway!

Thanks for everyone's kind words.

That looks awesome PetarB!!! I look forward to the continued progress. By the way, that BClub includes a fold out that shows that VF-2SS from the side, top, front and back and bottom I think......I'll check to make sure. Haven't looked through it for a bit.

B))

By the way, that BClub includes a fold out that shows that VF-2SS from the side, top, front and back and bottom I think......

Really? I never knew, I just assumed that everything was on the MacrossWorld website. I would have loved to see them! Unfortunately I've now finished all painting and most of the decals. Would you mind posting scans here if possible? It would be great to take a look-see!

Really? I never knew, I just assumed that everything was on the MacrossWorld website. I would have loved to see them! Unfortunately I've now finished all painting and most of the decals. Would you mind posting scans here if possible? It would be great to take a look-see!

Here are the pictures that he was talking about.

Keep up the good work. B))

post-221-1231208966_thumb.jpg

post-221-1231208975_thumb.jpg

Wow! looking pretty fantastic so far PetarB (as always!) can't wait to see more. Fantastic job on that canopy too!

Great scheme too! although I might perfer a little greyer (just a touch more realistic...)

Keep up the good work. B))

That's the color I was talking about slightly light blue but not "gay" blue.. or in a blue-gray would be awesome as well...

That's the color I was talking about slightly light blue but not "gay" blue.. or in a blue-gray would be awesome as well...

gay blue? Aren't the gay colors pink or purple? Oh wait, they get the whole rainbow.

I love this valk and really dig the paint scheme.

Thanks so much for those scans. If I had seen them earlier this may we have turned out quite a bit different. :wacko: Anyway, looks like I'm going quite 'off scheme now' - I've completed all the painting, and it's really a bit late at this stage to lighten everything up to the scans that were kindly put up. Saved them to my resources folder though... perhaps they will inspire someone else to do a build up of this and stick closer to canon? ^_^

I was thinking of just doing a military grey on this earlier, but will leave that for an eventual VF-22 build up one day.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Been away for the past week, but should get back to workbench on the weekend. B))

I just finished my version of this 2 days ago but I tried copying WMChengs design. I would love a canopy as well so add me to your list if you decide that you can make up a batch. I havent glued my canopy on yet. Great work so far and I love the different paint scheme!

grimmace

Progressing slowly! In anycase, here's where I'm up to. Just about all decals I will use are on. I assembled a few pieces temporarily for this. You can see in the first picture, I thinned the Tamiya hand-painted acrylic too much and it cracked in the drying on the grey intake areas. Still, it will be an easy fix and I will let it dry for a day before I give it the final clear coat prior to a light wash, where the recessed panels, etc will pop out a bit. I haven'tcolour corrected any of these... the blue/grey colour seems to vary dramatically, depending on the light and angle to the camera.

Grimmace, I would love to see yours, you should post pics.

Thanks for looking!

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by PetarB

I've been reading the VF-25 big thread with interest - the next challenge will be tinting the canopy a deep blue without sacrificing transparency, a challenge to be sure. On the subject of canopies, everyone's who's expressed an interest, I will make a new thread by the end of the month with details.