Up Close & Personal with May'N

wolfx

I sent this article in almost a month ago but have heard no news from the site admins if they want to publish it on the main site since it was intended as a MacrossWorld exclusive article so I witheld from posting on forums. But to keep it from being more outdated than it already is, i'll post it here on the forums for your reading pleasure. Admins are free to publish it during your convenience. ^_^

=================================================================

Up Close and Personal with May’N

mayn1.jpg

During the press conference day for Anime Festival Asia 2008 (AFA 2008), Macrossworld members wolfx and vanpang were given a chance to interview Nakabayashi Mei, commonly known by her stage name, May’N. We tried to get a special one on one interview with May’N but weren’t so fortunate. Instead, we were squeezed into a room with other people representing other media organizations. Thus, questions below are a compilation of questions asked by the group collectively. May’N’s manager, Yukinobu Yatabe, was present along with a translator provided by Anime Festival Asia.

Note: May’N’s answers were conveyed through a translator, thus certain replies may be lost in translation.

On May’N’s singing career

Interviewer: Good afternoon May’N. Before we start, we would like to welcome you to Singapore. I hope you’ll find your stay here enjoyable.

May’N: Thank you for your welcome! And yes I love it here.

Interviewer: What is your current career path? Are there any differences in the career path of an anime singer as compared to a J-pop singer? Which career path do you prefer?

May’N : I personally feel that there is no difference between a J-pop singer and an anime song singer. I have no reservations for entering either as they are the same for me. My wish is to communicate with people through songs.

Interviewer: What is your dream as a singer? How far do you do you want to go? Where do you dream you would go?

May’N: First I am very surprised that my songs are so popular outside of Japan! I felt it when I arrived in Singapore! I am really happy about it! Now I want to penetrate the hearts of my fans outside of Japan! I plan to perform more live shows and do more tours outside of Japan and meet all my fans!

Interviewer: Who do you draw your inspiration from for your singing? Who do you look up to as a singer?

May’N: My inspiration for singing would be Kylie Minogue. Kylie Minogue was always ahead of her time. She always know what is coming next, and always the pioneer to new trends to pop songs. I want to be a singer just like her one day and stand out amongst all the other stars.

Interviewer: May I ask how did you find out that your songs were popular in Singapore?

May’N: I knew from the many comments my fans left me on the AFA08 website. It made me feel very happy. I was also surprised when many fans gave me a big welcome when I arrived at the airport yesterday! There is also a big board to welcome me! And lastly I heard from the local staff that they were listening to my songs and are also singing my songs at Karaoke!

Interviewer: What is the happiest moment in your career?

May’N: Every live performance I do is the happiest moment in my career! So the coming live performance in Singapore would be another happy moment in my life!

Interviewer: In Japan, tickets are often sold out for the Macross Frontier concerts. Are you nervous before each live and how do you prepare for the concert ?

May’N: Of course I feel very nervous before each concert because I have to prepare to sing in front of a lot of people. But once I get on stage, I would feel very comfortable and confident with the cheering and the encouragement by the fans. My confidence will rise and the songs just come forth from within me naturally. All nervousness is gone. (Editor’s note: We witnessed this 1st hand as May’N sounds and looks like a very shy and down to earth girl during the interview. But during the live concert, she transforms into a confident diva on stage!)

Interviewer: Are you working on a new album right now or are your songs mostly released as singles? Would there be any anime related songs?

May’N: My next album is a mini-album, May’N Street, which comprises of 7 songs. It would be released early next year. Of these 7 songs only 1 of them will be related to Macross Frontier which is “Lion”. (sang only by May’N) The rest of the songs will be originals, and have nothing to do with anime. Some of these song’s lyrics were written by myself.

Interviewer: May'N, are you currently studying?

May’N: No, I am currently full time singing. I know there are many benefits in finishing my studies in the University but I do not want to lose my opportunity in a singing career. Singing has always been the priority and the love of my life .

Interviewer: This is a question for your fans who are students. How does a person such as yourself balance between the dilemma which is to either pursue your career in singing or to complete your education?

May’N: I feel that it is not my choice to decide which path they choose should it be singing or to continue their studies. The decisions to choose between studying and singing would depend on the person’s preferences and circumstances but I hope that my fans will give their all in whichever path they choose, and to have no regrets after they choose their path.

Interviewer: Have you thought about expanding your career outside of singing, perhaps in acting in movies?

May’N: My current priority is to develop my career as a singer, so I have not really thought of doing other things like acting. I'm not saying I won't do it if the opportunity presents itself, but for now I really am just concentrating on singing.

On Macross Frontier

Interviewer: Are there any friendly rivalries between you and Megumi Nakajima, like the rivalries between Ranka and Sheryl in Macross Frontier? Please describe your relationship with Megumi Nakajima.

May’N: I'd say we are basically like sisters since we are about the same age. We even go to each other's house and have meals together! I have also attended some of Megumi’s recording sessions. Megumi and I are really close friends!

Interviewer: Can you describe your experience working with the famous composer, Yokko Kanno ?

May’N: *discusses with manager a bit in Japanese*

Manager-san: Yoko Kanno started her job as the Music Director and composed the songs before May'N joined the staff of Macross Frontier so her interaction with Kanno-san was minimal.

Interviewer: Which is your favorite song from Macross Frontier? It can be any song by Sheryl or Ranka.

May’N: I would have to say “Yousei” is my most favourite song in Macross Frontier. I feel that it is a beautiful and meaningful song.

Interviewer: If Macross Frontier gets a live-action movie treatment, would you agree to play Sheryl's role?

May’N: Hmmm, yes I would do it only if such an opportunity presents itself and if everyone really wants me to play Sheryl!

Interviewer: Some people say that Alto is more beautiful than Sheryl. What is your opinion of this?

May’N: *Laughs out loud* Yes yes, Alto-hime is indeed beautiful! I do feel that Sheryl is also beautiful but her beauty is not just beauty on the physical sense. She is beautiful both on the outside and the inside. She is a strong and beautiful person.

Interviewer: Amongst the men in the anime Macross Frontier, which person do you think qualifies as your perfect boyfriend? Your "zettai kareshi"? Would it be Alto, Ozma, Michel or Luca ?

May’N: Ehhhhh? *giggles* I would have to say Ozma Lee. He is very manly, trustworthy and loves his sister above all else. I'd like a man like him who is both strong, and sensitive at the same time. (Editor’s Note: There you have it guys, May’N like guys who are tough, trustworthy and sensitive!)

On Anime and Otaku Culture

Interviewer: Tell us which is your favorite anime ?

May’N: I really love The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. I really love her character and how she is strong and confident. I also like Kuroi Hitsuji. (Black Butler)

Interviewer: What do you think of cosplay?

May’N: I never had a chance to cosplay! I wish I will get the opportunity in the near future. I think that people who cosplay look really cute in their costumes.

Interviewer: Which character do you want to cosplay?

May’N: Hmm I can't really decide. There so many characters that I wish to cosplay. But if I had to choose one off the top of my head, it will be Sheryl Nome !

Interviewer: You have many fans outside of Japan. Do you have any future plans to hold any performances outside of Japan, after your mini-concert in Singapore? And lastly, any messages to your fans outside of Japan?

May’N: I am very happy to know that I have many fans outside of Japan. I hope to see them all one day! I would like to thank them personally by doing more live performances outside of Japan! Please continue to support me and listen to my songs!

*Special thanks goes to Florence Ang of Red Dawn Communications for the arrangement of the interview

Edited by wolfx

Step away Alto Hime, Ozma is The Man :D

Guess the era of the metrosexual boytoys are over. :lol:

Thanks for the interview. As a Singaporean and a somewhat enthusiastic Macross fan, I'm slapping myself silly now for missing out on the Biggest Anime event in Singapore...sigh...guess I have to get out Sanctuary and back onto earth more often. :lol:

Edited by blacklotus

Interviewer: Who do you draw your inspiration from for your singing? Who do you look up to as a singer?

May’N: My inspiration for singing would be Kylie Minogue. Kylie Minogue was always ahead of her time. She always know what is coming next, and always the pioneer to new trends to pop songs. I want to be a singer just like her one day and stand out amongst all the other stars.

As an Australian, I must say that part of the interview was a bit terrifying. Does Minogue really have that much of an international profile outside of Australia and the UK? I also think that the comments credit Minogue with having a lot of intelligence. I personally think that a lot of her success has been luck.

Edit: AND May'N is a much better singer than Minogue anyday.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Aw, Kylie has only been very lucky since the late 90s and now... give her a break! She didn't do very well when she first debuted back in the 80s. Maybe you're right - she didn't have that powerful singing voice that May'N is gifted with... just you wait till May'N reaches Kylie's age... where she'll display her sex appeal more than her singing talent! :lol:

Aw, Kylie has only been very lucky since the late 90s and now... give her a break! She didn't do very well when she first debuted back in the 80s. Maybe you're right - she didn't have that powerful singing voice that May'N is gifted with... just you wait till May'N reaches Kylie's age... where she'll display her sex appeal more than her singing talent! :lol:

Well who was largely responsible for her comeback and getting her to be taken seriously, Nick Cave fer christsakes!

Taksraven

As an Australian, I must say that part of the interview was a bit terrifying. Does Minogue really have that much of an international profile outside of Australia and the UK? I also think that the comments credit Minogue with having a lot of intelligence. I personally think that a lot of her success has been luck.

Taksraven

I'm surprised by your attitude. I thought you'll be proud to have such a superstar for a countrywoman. I liked her alot, and I liked her songs too. BIG FAN of hers since her Locomotion days... :lol:

And yeah, I went to her concert in Singapore last month. And unfortunately, I cannot see her crevasse. I was on the fifth row though...[just jesting. and in reply to mr. chogokin]

Yeah well, the lighting wasn't very ideal... but I was near enough. The hot pants were definitely too tight for her... girls usually wear like that only for p.e. class, so we was very lucky! :lol:

Yeah even though it is a Mini concert, May'N rocks ! Yeah I hope to see another Live performance by her ! :)

I'm surprised by your attitude. I thought you'll be proud to have such a superstar for a countrywoman. I liked her alot, and I liked her songs too. BIG FAN of hers since her Locomotion days... :lol:

I think that I would have to be patriotic to have that sort of attitude, but I generally see nations as a human construct with little relevance to who we are as human beings. (In other words, what difference does the geography of your birthplace make to a persons talents and abilities, none)

I'll stop boring everybody now.

Taksraven

Taksraven

I thought the exact same thing...I love May'n dearly, but...KYLIE F*CKIN' MINOGUE???

That said, maybe she's changed over the last couple of decades...all I really know are her first three singles: "I Should Be So Lucky," "Lucky Lucky Lucky," and "I Should Be So Lucky in Love."

Not that surprising that May'n would cite Kylie as an influence. Kylie Minogue has had a three decade long carreer as an artist. Reinvented herself as a performer in the late nineties at a point when her carreer seemed dead. May'n has a better voice but that only a part in all the things you need to become an international star. Whether you like Kylies singing or not she has been around for a long time and is an international star with several albums and hit singles to her name. That's not an easy feat to accomplish. Certainly not in a country like Japan where starlets generally have short carreer life spans.

I have not seen Macross Frontier yet so I don't know who this lady is, but how would you describe her songs? Is her music comparable to Mari Ijima's original Macross songs? Or are they like Fire Bomber's Mac 7 songs?

Neither. May'n has a really interesting voice (when she's Sheryl, that is...her solo stuff, not so much), deeper than your usual Japanese songstress, and with a certain...I dunno...knife-like quality to it.

As for the songs themselves...do you really need to ask? It's Yoko Kanno! They're kinda rock, kinda disco (with a couple of killer ballads), and kinda weird...in the best way possible, of course.

Even if you haven't seen the show, listen to the music. It's really something special.