Want to get the SV-51 Ivanov...

GianS

no you don't, you really don't.

even if you get a good one, it'll turn into a floppy mess after 1 transformation.

i'd say wait for a better version or skip it all together.

the ivanov was the most anticipated valk i wanted to own yet somehow became the most disappointing yamato toy i own.

a total POS IMHO. :mellow:

even if you get a good one, it'll turn into a floppy mess after 1 transformation.

the ivanov was the most anticipated valk i wanted to own yet somehow became the most disappointing yamato toy i own.

a total POS IMHO. :mellow:

Really? I must have been lucky then because mine is fine.

Chris

a total POS IMHO.

That's really bad luck dude. My Ivanov is solid and tight - same as my Nora.

Pete

Hnmmm, can't say that I've had any issues with mine at all, and I've taken it out several times and have transformed it quite a few times. The sale is quite good, I'm hoping to pick up one of the mass production versions. I do hope the sale last for awhile, as I'm also short on cash from Christmas shopping.

I got my Ivanov out of storage for the first time since it was released... I'd forgotten how friggen awesome of a figure it is. The wings are a bit loose on mine, but some superglue in the joints fixed that up right good, and now it's just an amazing figure... the weapons pods don't fit so hot on the wings either, but I like the toy in Battroid mode the most, where all the missile pods aren't needed anyway. I think the 51 is more fun to play with in Batt mode than the 1/48 VF-1.

My biggest gripes with the SV-51 Ivanov is the hinge problem that was reported on many, I happened to get one of those. Another thing I don't like about it (actually all the SV-51's I'm assuming) are those large pods that sit on top of the wings. That purple painted object on them just looks crappy. Looks like this should have been a clear plastic piece, but Yamato got cheap and just painted it instead. They could have at least sculpted something there to better define the outline. I'll take a pic of one when I get the chance for those that may not know what I'm talking about.

I've just picked up my Ivanov at the post office today. Man, it's huge!! Twice the size of the 1/60th VF-1J!! I love the VF in fighter mode, but wasn't succesful in transforming it yet. It's pretty loose in the shopulder wrists, preventing a good pose from the arms and hands. Oh well, I'll just have it sit in launch position I guess. My opinion, a beautiful toy, but with a big deal of problems, and a very difficult transformation procedure.

BTW, does anybody know how to reveal the top lift fans in fighter mode?

Hmm... I actually think the 51 is fairly easier to transform... the shoulder multi-hinges take a minute to figure out the first few times, but overall I like the transformation alot, and almost enjoy tf-ing it more than the 1/60 YF-19. The shoulders are actually quite tight and nice provided you actually have the multi-hinges position correctly.

Hmm... I actually think the 51 is fairly easier to transform... the shoulder multi-hinges take a minute to figure out the first few times, but overall I like the transformation alot, and almost enjoy tf-ing it more than the 1/60 YF-19. The shoulders are actually quite tight and nice provided you actually have the multi-hinges position correctly.

Well, after trying to transform it from fighter to gerwalk and battroid yesterday, I actually got the hang of it. The worst thing about the VF-1 (and the VF-0) are the legs, they come of the main body to be reattached to the nose cone. On the SV-51 (and every other VF) they are fixed in place, and just rotate. The shoulder joints need some thinking and trying. I don't quite have thang of them yet. My biigest concern for the moment are the extra fuel tanks. the innerwing ones just won't stick to the wings. I'll have to see how I could fix that.

The battroid mode of the SV-51 is amazing. It's huge, menacing, and just looks like a demon from the pits of hell. The multi-functional sensor cluster (the "head") is also great. In gerwalk mode you can have it over the fighter almost like a scorpion's tail. I don't know if the SV-51 is equipped with a anti-missile/mecha laser, but if so, this would be a great addition to the already overwhelming firepower (no less than 4 guns in battroid mode besides the main handgun!!).

I went ahead and ordered the Ivanov as the color scheme is by far the nicest and the price is too good to pass up on. As stated it won't be transformed too often so I hope that it won't be too bad out of the box.

G

Edited by GianS

Good luck on your purchase, it's a gorgeous figure... If I were you I would just assume you'll need to tighten the wing hinges now, and buy yourself a tube of liquid super glue... search around on here for the exact technique if you don't know, vbut I've had much better luck with the superglue trick on joints lately than using clear nail polish.

I have the cannon fodder.

The SV-51 looks really great and sexy

but because of it's long and heavy legs,

you can't really play with it, especially

in gerwalk mode. I think of it more of

as a display model rather than a toy.

Transformed it only once to gerwalk

and it has only been on display in gerwalk

mode ever since. I really enjoy just looking

at it every time I arrive from work. I'm

always transfixed by it's predatory stance!

Mine arrived today! Freaking custom caught mine and added C$31 sale tax - aren't they suppose to be too busy this week? :p

Wings are OK. The middle wing hinges are tight and the lock for that hinge works. The wing-body hinges can be tighter, but they are tight enough and holds the gerwalk pose with 2 rocket pods. The rocket pods are easy to pop off by a light touch at the right place, but they stay on even when I give the whole fighter a good shake.

But some parts are too tight. It was difficult to pull the right foot out, while the left foot is fine. It took me like 10 minutes to finish the gerwalk step 14 to lift the right shoulder cover by 1mm, but it was easy on the right shoulder.

Battoroid mode transformation is easier. The right leg ball joint is very lose, but it can still stand on surface thanks to the large foot. Unlike the right wing, the left wing cannot fold all the way in.

I guess it is an average Yamato - looks great but buggy.

• 2 months later...

I just got mine today. What is/are the difference(s) between the first and second release? I'm rather annoyed because I lost one of the covers to the place on top of the wing where the booster connects (it flew into the air when I popped it off, never to be found) and the right hand fell apart (got it back together, but the pinky now refuses to stay on).