Keanu Reeves wants to star in Cowboy Bebop movie

bandit29

Just... just... look, cast who you want, let George Lucas write it, hire Uwe Boll as director... do what the hell you want.

Just leave the composer alone. We'll watch it with our eyes closed if need be.

;)

Please god keep Keanu Reeves, Uwe Boll and George Lucas away from Cowboy Bebop. Keep it in Japan where it belongs.

LOL.

Ok guys. to reduce cost we are going to set it in New York and make it in the present day. its gonna have cars in it and not spaceships.

Oh, and Spike's gonna use a water pistol b/c showing a gun in NY might start a gang war by accident. Ein will be a cat and Ed will be a 30 year old man.....j/k :lol:

Neo is a joke in any movie he's in. He would ruin this part and doesn't fit the "look" of Spike. I think Anime should stay Anime, never progressing to the big screen b/c I haven't seen one movie that I thought was a good Anime --> Live Action Bigscreen transition.

Edited by protostar8

I don't see how this would be successful on the big screen. Most people not familiar with Bebop will just dismiss this as a Firefly/Serenity clone, although they're quite different.

I like Bebop because it spaced those small quirky episodic vignettes with the main story of Spike's past. It was entertaining to see a comedic episode like mushroom samba followed a few episodes later by something really dark. It's really difficult to capture this rhythm in a 2 hour flick.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...on-cowboy-bebop

I didn't even know they were considering a live action movie and Keanu Reeves...lol :wacko:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Stop, yer killin' me! :lol:

But if you're going to do LA Bebop, Faye could only be played by......

Man Faye!!!!!!

(Mention but no pics please)

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Roy Focker

Man Faye!!!!!!

And i thought I can forget Man-Faye. I hate you. May your children see this pic and be inspired to follow in his footsteps. :angry:

LOL what is with all these actors expressing their secret love for anime coming out and saying they want to direct a movie of their favorite franchise or star in it? (Tobey Maguire anyone?) Now this... Please keanu reeves cowboy bepop is good as is... We don't need a wooden actor to ruin the franchise for everyone...

I don't think it is bad to have Keanu Reeves as Spike. If he is in, then probably there is a big budget to the movie. I know that big budgets doesn't mean good movies (waterworld...), but it helps, won't be like the dragon ball movie. 

Edited by akt_m

As much as I enjoyed the first Matrix film, the sad fact is that K.R. doesn't have the range to play Spike. Stoner-esque cluelesness isn't the same thing as having an existential attitude.

Besides, one of the things that made Bebop work so well is that it was a series. It took its time introducing us to the characters at a pace that let us become attached to them. Trying to cram a series' worth of character development into a 2 hour movie can't work.

And I get the feeling that the soundtrack would be composed of a bunch of widely accessible, lowest common denominator, top-40 crap. Not that I have anything against crap music; I just don't want it in my Bebop.

Edited by wraith1701

Could we get Keanu to star as Ein instead?

All he'd have to do is show flashes of brilliance while everyone else thinks he's a simple creature.

Shouldn't be too much of a stretch for Mr. Reeves! :D

All he'd have to do is show flashes of brilliance while everyone else thinks he's a simple creature.

as long as it's him in a giant costume of a corgi with a painted on nose and whiskers.

But he would have to show emotion. Couldn't he take over for Shatner as Kirk if he feels the need to fart things up?

As much as I enjoyed the first Matrix film, the sad fact is that K.R. doesn't have the range to play Spike. Stoner-esque cluelesness isn't the same thing as having an existential attitude.

Besides, one of the things that made Bebop work so well is that it was a series. It took its time introducing us to the characters at a pace that let us become attached to them. Trying to cram a series' worth of character development into a 2 hour movie can't work.

And I get the feeling that the soundtrack would be composed of a bunch of widely accessible, lowest common denominator, top-40 crap. Not that I have anything against crap music; I just don't want it in my Bebop.

"Reeves explained, "We're taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series.""

Seems it won't be just 1 movie...

You can't say much about the soundtrack when several of Kanno's musics are rip-off from other musicians.

Man Faye!!!!!!

(Mention but no pics please)

Thanks for not putting in a picture, when I saw the huge space I was afraid a pic was forthcomming :D. I have no problem with crossdressing cosplay but that pushes it too far.

"Reeves explained, "We're taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series.""

You can't say much about the soundtrack when several of Kanno's musics are rip-off from other musicians.

yeah Bebop in particular borrwed almost all of it's Jazz arangements. Kanno is still very very good though.

:blink: Holy crap; you aren't kidding! I clicked on the link expecting something similar to a Bebop song, but it's almost the exact same music!!! Point made.

I still stand by my claim that the soundtrack is incredible; ripped off or not. And for me, it is an integral part of Cowboy Bebop. Changing the music for something more 'audience friendly' would drive the nail into the coffin of an already bad idea.

That would be a sensible approach, but for a franchise to be viable, the first film has to be a hit with audiences. The first episode of Bebop is one of my least favorite; it wasn't until I watched the episode introducing Ein (which ironically features the Imperial Drag/Seatbelts song) that I was hooked by the series. I guess if the producers made a first film based on the first 3 or 4 episodes of Bebop, it might have a chance of hooking some viewers...

Thanks for not putting in a picture, when I saw the huge space I was afraid a pic was forthcomming :D. I have no problem with crossdressing cosplay but that pushes it too far.

Actually, there was a picture in there. At first. <_< Da*ned censorship, is what it is.

I know....I'm a stinker.

*takes moment to bask in own evil, and finds it warm and soothing*

So who would make a good Faye Valentine? That's all I wanna know. :lol:

p.s. Faye Valentine is a SINGAPOREAN. WOOT!!! Or at least she's from a place where there's a merlion too. ^_^

How about Jennifer Connelly? :wub:

I don't think Keanu can pull off the "simmering rage beneath a calm facade" that's necessary to play Vicious.

I'm still thinking Ein is the role best suited for him. I mean if George Clooney can play the part of Sparky, the Gay Homosexual Dog on South Park, then surely Keanu with his perplexed/confused/dazed look and his occasional outbursts of emotion can faithfully portray Ein.

• 3 months later...

Kenji Uchida, the president of the Sunrise anime studio, told attendees of a Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF) 2009 symposium that actor Keanu Reeves' enthusiasm for its Cowboy Bebop anime was the deciding factor in the recent live-action film deal. Uchida said Reeves (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, Johnny Mnemonic) himself visited Japan twice to express his interest in adapting the stylized science-fiction anime, and added that if Reeves had not done so, the deal might not have been made. Uchida further noted that the difficult negotiations with the 20th Century Fox film studio continued for two years until agreeable contract terms were drafted. He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control by stating, "If the script is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...wboy-bebop-deal

Kenji Uchida, the president of the Sunrise anime studio, told attendees of a Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF) 2009 symposium that actor Keanu Reeves' enthusiasm for its Cowboy Bebop anime was the deciding factor in the recent live-action film deal. Uchida said Reeves (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, Johnny Mnemonic) himself visited Japan twice to express his interest in adapting the stylized science-fiction anime, and added that if Reeves had not done so, the deal might not have been made. Uchida further noted that the difficult negotiations with the 20th Century Fox film studio continued for two years until agreeable contract terms were drafted. He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control by stating, "If the script is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...wboy-bebop-deal

Well, that's good news and Keanu is known to be a huge fan of the show and of the director, Shinichirō Watanabe, so here's hoping for something that doesn't suck.