Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

So $120 to $125US is a decent price for the VF-25?

It is considering that is less than the yen equivalent last week(12000 yen=$132 give or take last week)

Hoping Bandai release Ranka and Sheryl "All That VF" versions of the toys and that they are not Tamashi webstore exclusives.

I hope they make Alto's super armor non exclusive eventually and do the same for Ozma's heavy armor.

One thing that's starting to annoy me is the hand that holds the gunpod on the DX doesn't do a very good job. Not only does it allow the gunpod to sag, it doesn't hold the gunpod very tightly and I've had a few instances where the gunpod has fallen out of the hand when I've just gently nudged it, or even when just picking up the battroid and not even touching the gunpod......Grrrrrrr! This is not supposed to happen with fixed pose hands.

That is disappointing. It should be easy to fix though, I imagine.

One way to deal with such looseness is to use regular Elmer's white glue. Just dab a little bit of the glue and wait for it to dry.

Best part about white glue is that it's easy to come off and doesn't affect the plastic or metal beneath.

It's a trick I recently learned from collecting diecast aircraft.

Prices seem to be creeping up here in Hong Kong.

Still not many shops have them yet, but those that do are selling them more expensive daily.

Found both the VF-25F & VF-25S in Toymania (1/F, 188 Oriental Center, Wanchai Road). The store owner, Kit, was selling them as a set for HK$2,400 (approx US$309.68). Toymania is always overprice compared with other stores.

Today, the hobby shop in Cross Lane in Wanchai had the VF-25F Alto for HK$1,080 (approx. US$139.35), but no Ozma. This is the opposite of Yesterday, when they had Ozma, but not Alto.

Haven't been over to check the shops in Causeway Bay or Mong Kok districts yet.

Graham

Prices seem to be creeping up here in Hong Kong.

Still not many shops have them yet, but those that do are selling them more expensive daily.

Found both the VF-25F & VF-25S in Toymania (1/F, 188 Oriental Center, Wanchai Road). The store owner, Kit, was selling them as a set for HK$2,400 (approx US$309.68). Toymania is always overprice compared with other stores.

Today, the hobby shop in Cross Lane in Wanchai had the VF-25F Alto for HK$1,080 (approx. US$139.35), but no Ozma. This is the opposite of Yesterday, when they had Ozma, but not Alto.

Haven't been over to check the shops in Causeway Bay or Mong Kok districts yet.

Graham

I assume it is because all shipment are come from the 'air'?

Price should settle down once the sea shipment arrive, and more stores have them. Also some toys will get even cheaper once the Chinese New Year sale kick in... B))

Yep, that's correct. All the toys that have made it in to HK so far have come by air from Japan.

Beacuse of the licencing issue, Bandai HK will not be officially releasing these toys in HK.

Sea shipments from Japan will hopefully arrive in the next week or two.

Graham

I admit, I looked on ebay as well. :lol: For me, the rush to get one of these in my hands isn't about my inner child's impatience so much as it is about getting the Macross hobby bug somewhat out of my system before grown up life consumes all my time.

edit: If there is some way to get one of these faster than mid-January, then I'd like the option -- will cover the expense(s). Maybe one of our members who can go to a local retailer and pick one of these up can help me.

Well the only online store in the U.S that has the DX chogokin's in stock atm is imageanime.com. Its located in the east coast in NYC... Although at the 180 dollar price point before shipping its kinda expensive but at least you'll get the toy around a week earlier... If you have the funds id say go for it! Shipping should add up to 15 or 20 USD depending on your location... I admit I caved and ordered one from them and expect it by the end of the week. I can't wait to have it in my hands!

One thing that's starting to annoy me is the hand that holds the gunpod on the DX doesn't do a very good job. Not only does it allow the gunpod to sag, it doesn't hold the gunpod very tightly and I've had a few instances where the gunpod has fallen out of the hand when I've just gently nudged it, or even when just picking up the battroid and not even touching the gunpod......Grrrrrrr! This is not supposed to happen with fixed pose hands.

Graham

With all due respect graham this is really nothing new if you look at all the other products bandai has made... Alot of the gundam MG kits and GFF figures have the same exact problem. The hands never seem to hold any rifles or big guns correctly and the guns tend to sag off of the hands on most bandai products... You might have to bend the hands a bit to make it hold the rifle more snugly. But I understand what you're saying... You'd think by now they would have that problem fixed but it seems to be inherent in other bandai products as well...

With all due respect graham this is really nothing new if you look at all the other products bandai has made... Alot of the gundam MG kits and GFF figures have the same exact problem. The hands never seem to hold any rifles or big guns correctly and the guns tend to sag off of the hands on most bandai products... You might have to bend the hands a bit to make it hold the rifle more snugly. But I understand what you're saying... You'd think by now they would have that problem fixed but it seems to be inherent in other bandai products as well...

FYI, most latest MG kits has poseable hands with hole on the palm that will hold the weapons without need to use its fingers.

However, I think Bandai kit and toy are different divisions that they don't share ideas. Look at how different the model and toy usually are of any of the same Gundam.

Actually, the MG Freedom Gundam holds its gun pretty darn well...

...and then you have the hands that ychanus was talking about (shown in the latter two pics). Poseable hands (with the niche) that hold the beam sabers and static hands to hold the gun.

The model kits that I know can't hold their own weapons would be the old HG Gundam Wing model kits...

Back to the VF-25 DX Toy: Honestly, I thought the toy would look better than what you guys took pictures of... Doesn't really strike me as a $100+ toy. :(

Is anyone going to do an overhaul on their toy?

post-10165-1230623605_thumb.jpg

post-10165-1230623646_thumb.jpg

post-10165-1230623853_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiroikaze

then i'll have to say this:

the division making the model kit vf-25 are much more competent than the division making the toy vf-25... grrr.... :rolleyes:

Purely in the looks department, I would completely agree. I couldn't comment on any other aspect of them since I own neither.

I mean just look at these galleries.

http://blog.kuruten.jp/bat/59575

http://blog.kuruten.jp/bat/59741

The smaller model kit looks better than the larger toy in almost every shot and angle. And it isn't even like a Hasegawa where it only looks better in one mode because it isn't transformable because the VF-25 is. I could go on and on but I'm pretty sure it has all been said before.

That said, I'll probably end up getting the DX's because I don't see Bandai redoing them for several years and I want some 1/60 scale VF-25s for my collection. The model kit is great and all but it isn't in the scale I want. If it was, you could bet that I would get and build them as best as I could. I would finally put my air brush to some use.

RE: Overhaul of DX Toy

Mmm, first thing I thought of is to replace the problematic wrist ball joints, but met with failure when I tried to prise off the screw caps on the forearm. Anyone else tried it?

BTW, I managed to kludge the gunpod attachment into the shield hollow. U-shape goes inside, align stalk with the V-gap, pointy-side squared-off end of peg 'clips' into the vee. Try it.

As for photos... post-Christmas workload is already piling up. Hope to shoot some on the weekend.

Edited by drifand

Purely in the looks department, I would completely agree. I couldn't comment on any other aspect of them since I own neither.

I mean just look at these galleries.

http://blog.kuruten.jp/bat/59575

http://blog.kuruten.jp/bat/59741

The smaller model kit looks better than the larger toy in almost every shot and angle. And it isn't even like a Hasegawa where it only looks better in one mode because it isn't transformable because the VF-25 is. I could go on and on but I'm pretty sure it has all been said before.

That said, I'll probably end up getting the DX's because I don't see Bandai redoing them for several years and I want some 1/60 scale VF-25s for my collection. The model kit is great and all but it isn't in the scale I want. If it was, you could bet that I would get and build them as best as I could. I would finally put my air brush to some use.

After looking at those comparison pictures I have only 1 thing to say: The DX team needs to get kicked in the balls.

Damnit! The more I look at this toy the more I actually want one! The neck-less ozma is a definite pass but the Alto looks good. I just cant afford everything right now. I am stuck between getting the Defender, the v.2 Hik w/tvsuperparts, and the VF-25 DX. Right now it will only be one of those.

Damnit! The more I look at this toy the more I actually want one! The neck-less ozma is a definite pass but the Alto looks good. I just cant afford everything right now. I am stuck between getting the Defender, the v.2 Hik w/tvsuperparts, and the VF-25 DX. Right now it will only be one of those.

I'm getting the Luca for sure (radome = cool even on a sucky character like Luca).

The Alto is incredebly tempting but the thing that is holding me up is:

- What if they do a bundle later with the Fp or with the Super Armor???

- To much stuff I like... need to try to cut back. I already spend the retail price of a DX on Transformers Animated toys (and they are cheper than Macross crap and are fun).

Don't care for turtle neck Roy wanabe :lol:

I've been hearing alot of complaints about Ozmas vf-25s... But every picture I've seen of it doesn't look good at all... the main thing that kills it is the neck length or lack thereof in poseability it seems. Why did bandai decide to go with this design? It seems like the chest is always covering the neck joint giving it a turtle in shell look... its an eyesore really that I cant ignore and I don't think ill buy it unless it comes with the armor parts or bandai does a new headsculpt all together' Also the shape of the head seems smushed in every photo I see... Is it really that bad? I sure hope its not as bad as it looks...

RE: Overhaul of DX Toy

BTW, I managed to kludge the gunpod attachment into the shield hollow. U-shape goes inside, align stalk with the V-gap, pointy-side squared-off end of peg 'clips' into the vee. Try it.

Good catch. Tried it last night and it works perfectly.

Graham