Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

I followed drifand's recommendation and went to check for hobby parts. Found these:

post-322-1232548737_thumb.jpg

On the right hand side is a comparison with the original joint from the neck.

So the VF-25S went from this:

post-322-1232548754_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-322-1232548767_thumb.jpg

I think it does make a big difference. I can't believe the guys @ Bandai didn't come up with a solution for this.

The only problem: it can't be changed to fighter. The head doesn't fit correctly :( and it is annoying to remove the ball joint for each transformation.

Here's another pic:

post-322-1232548779_thumb.jpg

I followed drifand's recommendation and went to check for hobby parts. Found these:

post-322-1232548737_thumb.jpg

On the right hand side is a comparison with the original joint from the neck.

So the VF-25S went from this:

post-322-1232548754_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-322-1232548767_thumb.jpg

I think it does make a big difference. I can't believe the guys @ Bandai didn't come up with a solution for this.

The only problem: it can't be changed to fighter. The head doesn't fit correctly :( and it is annoying to remove the ball joint for each transformation.

Here's another pic:

post-322-1232548779_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Hmm is it possible to shorten the stump of the new neck joint so that it fits in fighter and yet looks better for battroid? I'm pretty sure there should be additional clearance for the head in fighter, this is a DX afterall.

anyone knows how to fix the crooked head lasers problem on Ozuma custom VF-25? Did saw a post some weeks back but the link seemed to be dead... :huh:

Apparently all you need to do is to heat them up with a hairdryer on low heat-- you don't even need to touch them, just heat them up, they will straighten out and be fine.

You guys are too tough on the stock Ozma neck... I found it entirely sufficient. The only other toys I own that have as obvious a neck as some of you guys are putting on your Ozma toys are my Ride Armors... and those need big necks to get the head above the armor.

You guys are too tough on the stock Ozma neck... I found it entirely sufficient. The only other toys I own that have as obvious a neck as some of you guys are putting on your Ozma toys are my Ride Armors... and those need big necks to get the head above the armor.

Yes but look at GGemini's first picture-- absolutely horrendous! The extended neck really makes it look better. Maybe you can post some poses which make the lack of a neck look better?

All the pics in my review are of an unmodified Ozma. The neck is a bit on the small side in comparison to Alto (because of how it attaches) but hardly something that screams out "ZOMG this toy sucks without a neck extension." I think a lot of people are thinking they need to mod the necks of their toys instead of fiddling with the piece that the neck attaches to to elevate that properly.

After transforming the Alto a couple of times, I found out that the wings were not bent, but they were incorrectly locked into position. @_@ *fails at transforming the VF-25*

(thanks to all who offered tips!)

Also, I fixed the broken shoulder screw. :D

Simply took a screw from my old Bandai VF-17 (the one on the back of the head) and used it on Alto's shoulder joint. Fits like a glove, and the pieces hold together quite well!! Woo hoo!!

If your shoulder joints are too stiff, weaken the screw a bit, it may last a bit longer.

Overall, I'm lovin' the DX. The only thing which I find to be incredibly lame are the leg fins... Instead of tilting at an angle in fighter mode, they point straight down. :/

The transformation process is identical to the model kit, so those who own it will be transforming the 1/60 with ease.

Also, where does it say that the DX is 1/60 scale? Haven't found it anywhere on the box, or instructions.

Fins:

dx_fins.jpg

Some more Gerwalk love:

dx_gerwalk1.jpg

dx_gerwalk2.jpg

dx_gerwalk3.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

I haven't said the VF-25S sucks (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it)... I actually don't care about the shortcomings of both VF-25s, BUT... for me, the VF-25S does look better with a longer neck. If a simple modification might fix that, why not do it? It doesn't involve drilling / cutting / painting or anything else. And I do prefer to watch the VF-25S from every angle not only from the one that makes the neck look better :) (and it's not just a matter of elevating it properly as you can see in Bandai's official pics)

A small fix in the design could've made it look better... but maybe the guys @ Bandai decided to re-use as many parts as possible (to avoid any new molds). I guess that's expected from the guys that reused Basara's VF-19 gunpod for the VF-19S.

Let's see if they ever decide to make the Armored Pack... maybe they'll include a new head with that one since the neck will look shorter still:

post-322-1232591122_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I'll go to look for additional parts... with joints this time, apparently those might work. And I'll post here the results... for those who are interested of course ^_^

To be fair, I think we've proven that Bandai's pics involved a mistransformed VF-25. This isn't at all uncommon (sadly) in the toy industry. I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm bashing people who just naturally prefer a longer necked valk either but it seems like people are getting caught up in a few bad pics and are convincing themselves things are much worse than they are (as if there is no functional neck there). I think you've hit the nail on the head for the most part, I really think the complaint about the neck should be aimed up a little higher... it's the squat head that's the bigger problem. Had the head been a bit different (longer, more anime accurate) the neck wouldn't look as short (and if the ball wasn't in-set so far the neck would functionally be larger). Of course it all does come down to a simple matter of Bandai making the Ozma head fit in the same area that Alto's head could fit (almost certianly for budgetary reasons).

Just received my HLJ package with Alto and Ozma. Man that box looked small. Opened them up and they were pretty fun toys.

Hate the Ozma head because the way it currently looks does not look like the awesome mecha that showed up in Episode 1. Gonna fix it with a double revoltech joint and see if it can still transform with the new joint.

Big plus for Bandai, the boxes are awesome! Small and compact yet with almost no wasted space. If all my previous Yamato toys were this well packaged and space efficient I would have a hell of a lot more space in my closet.

Something that irks me about the toy. Battroid can't do a decent "T" stance.

Ventral fins don't cant outward? That IS lame. (and aerodynamically incorrect for every plane I know of that has twin ventral fins--both real and Macross)

The ventral fins can cant outwards if you don't close the outer leg panels completely, but then you get an ugly gap on the front lower shin.

Graham

Just received my HLJ package with Alto and Ozma. Man that box looked small. Opened them up and they were pretty fun toys.

Hate the Ozma head because the way it currently looks does not look like the awesome mecha that showed up in Episode 1. Gonna fix it with a double revoltech joint and see if it can still transform with the new joint.

Big plus for Bandai, the boxes are awesome! Small and compact yet with almost no wasted space. If all my previous Yamato toys were this well packaged and space efficient I would have a hell of a lot more space in my closet.

Something that irks me about the toy. Battroid can't do a decent "T" stance.

Yeah. The Bandai box is so compact that its like 4x VF-25 boxes = 1x Yamato Valk box.

Edited by mpchi

You know better than that. At least two real-world examples come to my mind. I'm sure you could think of more.

Care to enlighten inquiring minds? Regardless, the ventral fins sticking straight down is another inaccuracy with the toy. Given the news about the extensive parts swapping required for the Super VF-25F 1/72 though, I'd guess it's an acceptable compromise-- and just goes to illustrate how the 1/72 is really for display and the DX is a toy.

That looks really good!! Is it me or does the armor appear to have a glossy paint finish to it? maybe its just my screen.... Either way I like. Offer And Alto VF-25 with this Armor and I'm in!! B))

That looks really good!! Is it me or does the armor appear to have a glossy paint finish to it? maybe its just my screen.... Either way I like. Offer And Alto VF-25 with this Armor and I'm in!! B))

I'd guess that the plastic would be the same as that used for the toy so there will be a slight gloss finish.

As expected the Super parts make the VF-25S positively look like it's hiding down it's collar. I'm also wondering if the attachment of the super packs will scratch the skull squadron symbol on the back off... I'm guessing it will.

Edited by edwin3060

To be fair, I think we've proven that Bandai's pics involved a mistransformed VF-25. This isn't at all uncommon (sadly) in the toy industry. I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm bashing people who just naturally prefer a longer necked valk either but it seems like people are getting caught up in a few bad pics and are convincing themselves things are much worse than they are (as if there is no functional neck there). I think you've hit the nail on the head for the most part, I really think the complaint about the neck should be aimed up a little higher... it's the squat head that's the bigger problem. Had the head been a bit different (longer, more anime accurate) the neck wouldn't look as short (and if the ball wasn't in-set so far the neck would functionally be larger). Of course it all does come down to a simple matter of Bandai making the Ozma head fit in the same area that Alto's head could fit (almost certianly for budgetary reasons).

I think it's a little bit of both. The neck really is too short, but not that short. The neck extensions I've seen in this thread seem to overcompensate, making the neck too long. The head is a bit too squat, too.

Also, I've yet to find a way to consistently get the neck to it's full length. It seems to take a lot of prodding to get it into a decent spot, and there seems to be no locking mechanism of any sort. It's just kinda sitting in there.

to be honest i'm still really disappointed with this toy i know this still could have been done a lot better i feel like they just did like a rush job and try to sell as much as possible then move on. its just so in accurate in every aspect. its true though they did a good job at packaging. saves up tons of space wish yamato can learn from that save shipping and everything. Over all I still think yamato should have done this job, coz I know they care about being accurate. one more thing wish the license is not just for bandai alone, I hope that other companies can do a take at this line and do justice on it.

Edited by tank

Well it all about money really, Yamato could do it if they outbid Bandai on MF license (which they lost)

which sucks! the design is awesome bandai just really killed it, its just really annoying. I mean why not just share the love on this license thing, which will have competition and toys will improve better, because of it, for example the mospeada alot of company took on this line and tried to make it the best in design in order to sell to the crowd. I hate bandai coz they are just plain greedy thats the way how i see it. its like the macross 7 line I would love to see a better toy for this. Its just plain irritating how they ruined a beautiful valk. I really hope bandai can see all the ranting of people and making them suffer for trying to mod their valks to look better. this toy is not worth the money it should be cheaper for this quality,I'd say this toy should only be $40-$50. yeah its sturdy but it still sucks. The 1/100 toy should only cost around $18 with all that part swapping.

New neck modification

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/damien_sancho/57450283.html

the joint length is variable.

Can transfer between fighter and battriod without changeing joint

Well it works but it looks a little slip-shod-- like the head could fall off at anytime-- given that this is a toy that is meant to be played with. If only Bandai had made the head longer, they could have had a locking ball-joint kind of set up where it would lock in the 'down' position in fighter mode and 'up' position in battroid mode. The one redeeming factor of the DX line, now, I guess, is that it is the 1/72 line's Super packs appear to be a hassle to mount which takes them down a notch.

Can anyone confirm that the Gallia IV set for Michael's VF and the Ghost's for Luca's VF are a mail-in kind of thing? I wonder if Overdrive could mail it in for us.