Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

yes, we get it. We all suck and are too stupid to realize how awesome the DX and bandai are. You yourself cut yours apart less than a month after you got it to improve it. Why is it so awful for those of us not as model minded to expect Bandai to have thought of those rather simple improvements themselves? Just like we expect yamato to do some goddamn materials stress tests on their toys before selling them?

No I am not calling anyone names for not liking what Bandai did. Complaints are entirely valid, but just like on other Yamato threads, there comes a point when it's pointless. We all know where Bandai failed on the DX, so what ELSE are we going to do about it?

Am I happy? I voted 'Meh' in the DX poll! But I chose to enjoy the DX in whatever way I can... and it's certainly MORE than I could with any other-brand Macross toy in recent history.

you are a brave brave man!!!!!

Better poses aside, I would not want to do that to a 200 dollar toy

Thank god i hope the prices drop soon. Some of my friends at IBM just got laid off and I'm worried. The hobby shop in toronto Pacific Mall got some in and is asking 300 cdn for an alto. Last time I paid that much was for the SOC Dancouga and Aquarion and I can say that they at least are substantial. No way an Alto is worth 300 bucks

Man I really miss Hong Kong. Too bad! Maybe I need to make an excuse and go visit the in laws in Guangzhaou :lol:

No I am not calling anyone names for not liking what Bandai did. Complaints are entirely valid, but just like on other Yamato threads, there comes a point when it's pointless. We all know where Bandai failed on the DX, so what ELSE are we going to do about it?

Am I happy? I voted 'Meh' in the DX poll! But I chose to enjoy the DX in whatever way I can... and it's certainly MORE than I could with any other-brand Macross toy in recent history.

While I agree that at this point, complaining about a product that has been released probably doesn't matter... I'm going to fall back on the position of all the yamato complainers. Maybe Bandai reads these threads and sees that we're passionate about their toys and will do a better job next time.

Certainly the fact that there's already 100% mark ups on eBay should be proof to bandai that macross/toy fans are embracing their offering and maybe that will mean that they will be willing to invest more time and money into their next releases.

And even if we don't see improved vf-25s down the line, maybe we'll see more of an effort with their other macross products?

So yeah: Calling on all other DX owners - SHARE YOUR TIPS for improving this very sturdy but imperfect toy.

I'm seriously looking at modding the fists next. Since the arms cannot be separated due to the glued-down screw caps, it looks like I'll have to cut off the ball joint, drill a hole and epoxy/glue in place a replacement joint. But of course, first I will TEST the replacement joints. ;-)

woa...I'm not starting any sh!t, I just commented on your good idea, but to have to go to all this lengths on playable toy, and even you will not try this again goes to show that it's possible but they [bandai] just didn't do it right... geez SORRY...

anyway, good idea and nice work

I just got my Alto version in. This thing is heavy and sturdy. All the joints are nice and tight, maybe a little too tight. But its better than being loose right? Its not a yamato but Bandai has their own gig on how to make valkyries. e.g. chunky monkey v1. I guess we all got used to some of yamato's extras and we were expecting bandai to live up or exceed their designs.

They did in some aspects IMHO. Its sturdy, no fear in breaking anything. QC is excellent. The way the torso locks in place is better than the YF-19 and the SV-51 (in my figure anyway) Sure there are a few issues in this figure that might need a little tweaking, like the hands. It could of benefited better if it had a mid thigh swivel. But Im happy with it. I took it for what it was and felt no need to modify anything on it

Now if they'd make a nice Vajra figure, especially the Red one or Klan Klein's Q-rau with MILF Klan Klein inside I'd be ecstatic!! lol!! Im eagely awaiting the release of the Macross Quarter next. Go Bandai!!

Edited by holytoledo69

got my alto super pack order in through overdrive.

if this is skinnier than a 1/55 vf-1s and is still called a chunky monkey in some aspects, does that mean that the anime version is super anorexic?

Nice work Drifand, like the pioneering on it, and will be tempted to do so when I manage to get one !

Not even the Destroids?

They are about as perfect and flawless as it is possible to make a toy.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes the destroids look good, but I am emotionally wasted as a Macross fan with Yamato's years of QC lottery. Besides, the old Exosquad DXs aren't that shabby. Plenty of other stuff out there to keep me happy :-)

I've just ordered the super packs from overdrive and just managed to get in before the dateline. Orders closes today the 5th January at 1:30pm Japan time as Overdrive needs to order from Tamashi website.

So there is no MW group buy? And Overdrive already closed the preorder for the Alto fast packs?! Can't even find the listing on their site... And I thought I was waiting until they post that up. Very frustrating... and looks like I missed the boat, even though I am anticipating it. Sucks...

We all know where Bandai failed on the DX, so what ELSE are we going to do about it?

I don't think they failed, if it was Kawamori and Bandai's intention to go a different route and base it off of Kawamori's original intent to make the battroid mode big and bulky(which was said somewhere around here), then I think they succeeded in what they aimed for. The main things I am disappointed with are the lack of space in the heatshield to store the gun holding/trigger hands, and lack of a place to store the gunclip in battroid mode(though the tip you gave earlier works pretty well). Sure a lot of people here are disappointed because Yamato didn't make this, and they think that if Yamato did make this, that it would have been anime accurate and whatnot. However we don't even know this for sure, Yamato gets along well with Kawamori and if he wanted something a certain way, I would not be surprised if they followed suit, like they are now with making the VF-11 bigger on account of him retconning the size. So if Yamato had the license it is entirely possible that their VF-25 may have ended up just as bulky as the DX VF-25 from Bandai, on account of Kawamori. Some fans don't agree with the guy, I'm not terribly disappointed with how the DX VF-25 toys turned out or MP Starscream, but I know some fans over here are.

if this is skinnier than a 1/55 vf-1s and is still called a chunky monkey in some aspects, does that mean that the anime version is super anorexic?

Yes

So there is no MW group buy? And Overdrive already closed the preorder for the Alto fast packs?! Can't even find the listing on their site... And I thought I was waiting until they post that up. Very frustrating... and looks like I missed the boat, even though I am anticipating it. Sucks...

Overdrive didn't post it on their website as it is not a regular retail item, but an exclusive from the Tamashii website.

You had to email Overdrive to ask about it.

Back in November and December a few of us contacted Overdrive to ask if they could help us order the packs. We posted information on the procedure and prices then. That was the time to order.

Graham

I don't think we should bring Yamato in for the discussion... Personally I don't care which manufacturer produces it.

There's no argument that Bandai is capable of an anime-accurate toy from what we've seen from the 1/72 model; however they didn't in the end.

I've heard arguments such as "it's intended by Kawamori" (which I doubt; it may just be a PR statement), "it's for durability", etc; but I am not sold. I expect THAT much from Bandai to come up with a toy that is both anime-accurate and durable.

Has Bandai failed? It depends on how you look at it.

- Bandai has failed to deliver an anime-accurate model;

- Bandai has succeeded in selling it thus far, judging from the insane inflated prices now.

Are the VF-25's in the anime anorexic? Personally I won't say so - my first impression is that "the new valkyries are so skinny... no, they are just skeletons!" That's something special about the VF-25's, and I don't want the toy manufacturer to "correct it".

Edited by ff95gj

this is stupid

I go from deck swabber to a destroid waxer!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!!!

Dont take it personally. Most of the titles are pretty silly. I dont know if I want to ever become "Basara's college room-mate".

Im now interested in getting a cheap Alto

OverDrive had the cheapest price, but if you click on the "buy now" link on their site, the bottom of the page says "sold out". BBTS has it for $155+shipping, I don't think angolz got it in yet, and HLJ is just a bit cheaper w/EMS than BBTS due to the yen/dollar ratio. Those are the cheapest prices I can think of right now.

I know just wanted to stop Yamato! Bandai! PEPSI! COKE! Posts! Im now interested in getting a cheap Alto

that's just a standard title, we all go through them unless you're fortunate or unfortunate enough to have a mod give you a custom title.

Is the super armor for Michel's VF-25G the same as Alto's aside from color trim?

Yup, they're the same for the four main character variants (S, F, G and RVF) except for the trim color highlights.

NOOOOOO. I missed the superpacks order. Will Bandai be selling Alto with Superpacks together or is this the only way to get the superpacks for Alto?

The web shop was the only way to get Alto's super pack but they will probably be some available aftermarket at high prices.

Edited by IXTL

Overdrive didn't post it on their website as it is not a regular retail item, but an exclusive from the Tamashii website.

You had to email Overdrive to ask about it.

Back in November and December a few of us contacted Overdrive to ask if they could help us order the packs. We posted information on the procedure and prices then. That was the time to order.

Graham

I wondering about that..I was on their site 2 weeks ago and I didnt see it at all. Oh well, there's always the secondary market. Time to pay for my ignorance.. :unsure:

No, I've never lived in Japan, only visited there a few times. MWers Save, Sketchley and Renato live in Japan. I live in Hong Kong.

I bought my VF-25F and VF-25S DX in Tai Po in the New Territories in a toy shop in Tai Po Plaza in New Tai Po (sorry, can't remember the shop's name).

I also saw the VF-25S Ozma DX in a toy store located in Cross Lane in Wanchai on HK Island yesterday.

Graham

Hi Graham, where exactly is Tai Po Plaza? Is it near the train station? I only know of Uptown Plaza. Thanks.

Ivan