Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

Yeah, I guess. What's the point?

You just gotta understand how this place works. MW isn't exactly a place where logic and objectivity is the norm. :D

On a separate note, does anyone have a scan of the booklet/instructions sheet? I don't recall seeing it here before.

Edited by Vifam7

You just gotta understand how this place works. MW isn't exactly a place where logic and objectivity is the norm. :D

On a separate note, does anyone have a scan of the booklet/instructions sheet? I don't recall seeing it here before.

I don't have mine yet, but fortunately there's a place that has a review of it and it has an instruction of how it transforms. I thinks it's called Toyark.com or something. Check it out. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll see what I can do.

I don't have mine yet, but fortunately there's a place that has a review of it and it has an instruction of how it transforms. I thinks it's called Toyark.com or something. Check it out. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll see what I can do.

I saw the pics at Toyark, but I'm looking for a more closer shot. Basically a scan so I can read the text.

I saw the pics at Toyark, but I'm looking for a more closer shot. Basically a scan so I can read the text.

When I get mine, I'l definately try to put it on. I kind of suck on the computer, but I will try my best. Oh, by the way, there's a new Japanese magazine (I have no idea what it's called) and it covers this whole line of toys. It has a bright orange cover on it with a vf-25f. I've seen it on e-bay. I do own it, but unfortunately left it at my friends house which is 65 miles away. I'll get it later this week. Maybe I'll post some scans then. Sorry for all of the inconveniences.

Oh, by the way, there's a new Japanese magazine (I have no idea what it's called) and it covers this whole line of toys. It has a bright orange cover on it with a vf-25f. I've seen it on e-bay. I do own it, but unfortunately left it at my friends house which is 65 miles away. I'll get it later this week. Maybe I'll post some scans then. Sorry for all of the inconveniences.

That was November's issue of Figure King I believe. The scans were posted on this board some time ago but thanks for the offer of scanning them for us.

Link to scans:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28561

Edited by IXTL

See you everybody. I've got videogames to play. Can you believe it, a 33 year old man playing games. Jeez I'm a jerk

I am even older... And I am collecting toys and playing video games too! :rolleyes:

In fact, looking at the genres of video games and the stories of some RPGs, many of them are not meant for kids.

I really hope prices won't go up anymore on these guys, that and the Canadian dollar doesn't go any lower, that and these guys will still be around when I have the money for them (within 6 months).

From the beginning of December till now; I got a 52" 120HZ TV, 1080P Camcorder, new DVD+USB player, color laser printer, Masterpiece Beta, CM's Ingram, Iron Gear, and a heck of a lot of other toys/games/stuff...

The irony is, the Bandai 1/60 Macross Frontier toys were supposed to be at the top of my list of things to budget for; now I'm flat broke. The good news was, only the Masterpiece Beta was bought not on drastic sale (but I guess I still went overboard).

As for the price of the VF-25's, I can't really think about how much they cost; I can only try and find a good a deal out there as I can. In the mean time it's ramen noodles, watch movies at home, wear the same old clothes, and skip having my hair cut for me.

Yeah, unfortunately I am super impatient and bought mine for $180.00. I'm such a jerk. I have no money, but spend the little I have on this crap. Maybe that's why I take it so personal. Thanks for the info though. I'll start to drop some lines for all of us when I figure some places that have this tuff on sale.

Are you able to cancel your pre-order?

Heh, here in Hong Kong, some shops are now selling a single VF-25 toy for as high as HK$1,480, which is US$190!

Hmmm Imageanime has it for $180 over here, + shipping.

Heh, here in Hong Kong, some shops are now selling a single VF-25 toy for as high as HK$1,480, which is US$190!

Graham

there's one on ebay (130279197267) for 226 USD, before shipping... :lol: It looks like a lot of people are all over these guys so hopefully bandai sees the demand and is will to invest more time and money into future releases

Graham

Oh snap! OK now, I'm seriously considering going into debt to get these guys before they're either sold out or become too expensive. Or I can remain agonizingly waiting and sweating... must be strong... can't give in...

hopefully bandai sees the demand and is will to invest more time and money into future releases

I have a feeling they will, especially coming off the nostalgia from the 25th anniversary, higher brand recognition from the Macross F TV series, and even more to come with the movie coming in summer. I think we are going to see a ton of stuff, it really is a great time to be a Macross fan. Obscure designs tend to be "safe/less risky" to make during movie years, so I hope we see some DX Q Leas, and a non exclusive superarmor bundle for Alto, as well as a nonexclusive heavyarmor bundle for Ozma. It wouldn't really surprise me if we eventually got TV accurate DX VF-25 toys too, but I honestly prefer the balanced look of the DX in battroid mode, so I'll be leaning towards current releases.

Oh and the obscure design from the show I want most is Alto's VF-171EX.

Oh snap! OK now, I'm seriously considering going into debt to get these guys before they're either sold out or become too expensive. Or I can remain agonizingly waiting and sweating... must be strong... can't give in...

It's only been a few weeks, be patient man. Trust me, I know the feeling, I reluctantly didn't pre-order primarily because I am waiting to see if Bandai either makes a nonexclusive Alto/super parts bundle, or eventually offers the super parts as nonexclusive items later on.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

If Bandai can re-release the old Chunkys not once, but twice I wouldn't worry too much about the Alto and Ozma VF-25s becoming ultra rare. I myself am still mulling over these and hoping for an Ozma Full Armor Superpack.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When the Alto model kit first came out, they were super hard to find and sold at inflated prices. Now, you can find them everywhere for a reasonable price.

Same thing will likely happen with the DX toy.

Graham

Good thing I got back to the forums before I did anything drastic, there's a set of Alto + Ozma on eBay for $370 shipped.

That does it, I'm going to stick to my guns and wait it out. Thank-you all for your input.

Edited by D_Unit

There is supposed to be more of the toys arriving by sea in hong Kong next week, so hopefully, the prices will go down.

Luckily, I got a good preorder price for my second pair from the sea shipment.

Graham

Hey guys, I have a friend in Hong Kong that is willing to get a VF-25S DX for me. He last saw it at the animate store in Mong Kwok on Friday, but it sold out now (Monday). Can someone tell me where can I still get the 25S (grey one) in Hong Kong right now, or within a week?

Thanks

Hey guys, I have a friend in Hong Kong that is willing to get a VF-25S DX for me. He last saw it at the animate store in Mong Kwok on Friday, but it sold out now (Monday). Can someone tell me where can I still get the 25S (grey one) in Hong Kong right now, or within a week?

Thanks

I saw it in the Causeway Bay Animate on Sugar Street last Friday.

Also saw it in Toymania, 1/F 188 Oriental Center, Wanchai Road, although may have been selling as a set only with the Alto type.

Graham

I have a feeling they will, especially coming off the nostalgia from the 25th anniversary, higher brand recognition from the Macross F TV series, and even more to come with the movie coming in summer. I think we are going to see a ton of stuff, it really is a great time to be a Macross fan. Obscure designs tend to be "safe/less risky" to make during movie years, so I hope we see some DX Q Leas, and a non exclusive superarmor bundle for Alto, as well as a nonexclusive heavyarmor bundle for Ozma. It wouldn't really surprise me if we eventually got TV accurate DX VF-25 toys too, but I honestly prefer the balanced look of the DX in battroid mode, so I'll be leaning towards current releases.

Oh and the obscure design from the show I want most is Alto's VF-171EX.

It's only been a few weeks, be patient man. Trust me, I know the feeling, I reluctantly didn't pre-order primarily because I am waiting to see if Bandai either makes a nonexclusive Alto/super parts bundle, or eventually offers the super parts as nonexclusive items later on.

I'll wait, it looks like Macross is having a big hit with Frontier so I'm hoping that bandai revisits the vf-25 later on like you said. They've done revised versions of gundam, eva and other properties and if resellers are already marking these up 100% I can't see how bandai wouldn't want a part of that action.

Thanks

What is your budget? It's not really entirely sold out (from what I notice yesterday), just that the prices are crazy.

I'm still unsure if I will get the VF-25G. It likely has the same downfalls as the current two, being small landing hear, most likely a PVC antenna, the neck has looked good on that and it really is only a problem with the S variant it seems. On the other hand the G comes with super packs on release, that is good. Also it comes with a stand, so I don't have to see the landing gear, that should be good as well. It is more expensive though... due to the super packs of course. I don't know, it doesn't look like there is enough downside for it based on peoples experiences with the F and S to not want to get a G. (For the record the proportions aren't a big factor to me, I got a VF-25S model to have one in anime accuracy, now I just want my sniper valk and this one comes out sooner and with no building time).

What is your budget? It's not really entirely sold out (from what I notice yesterday), just that the prices are crazy.

I was prepare to pay $1280 HKD at the animate store in Mong Kwok. Do you know any one who still have the 25s in stock in the area? and for how much?

(Failed) Post-op Pix

Here are a couple of detailed pix to share with the curious. I didn't take any disassembly pix, only the key external areas.

01.jpg

Close up of area cutaway under knee-caps

Not pretty, folks! To get access to this area, you have to unscrew the halves to get some wriggle room for the knee-caps to be removed. Why would anyone do this?

02.jpg

Because with the existing design, the knee-caps would only rotate down to this point, no further. And...

03.jpg

... With the cutout, the knee-cap can go much further in.

However, you must also widen the sides of the walls in order to gain clearance for the tapered shape of the knee-cap.

In the end, I find this part of the op to be of dubious value. The structural integrity of the leg is definitely compromised. During play, I can feel the torsion of the click-joints working against the innards... and in Gerwalk mode, yeah, it dips but the stance is NO LONGER STABLE.

To Bandai's credit, the toy is still pretty sturdy. In fact, after my frustration with the un-cooperative screw-caps, I threw caution to the wind and treated the toy really rough: picking it up by one leg dangling as I worked on the other side, pushing and pulling the various joints out of the way... etc. This thing is BUILT.

Far more useful to the Gerwalk-Dipping fetishists is the following mod:

04.jpg

Cutting out a portion of the flat panel of the lower thighs.

This will allow the upper knee joint to angle the legs forward a lot more than the mostly useless knee-cap hollowing mod.

Feet Mod Pix

Even if you decide to do the thigh mod, it is not enough because in Gerwalk, the feet cannot swivel enough to help balance the toy. The following op will improve the situation somewhat.

05.jpg

If you observe the heel pivot, you will notice a built-in 'limiter' on the gray ABS section that is sandwiched between the diecast. Cut that away, along with the protruding upper portion of the heel, and...

06.jpg

... the heels can now assume a wider spread. This can help stabilise not just for Gerwalk but also other action poses in Battroid mode.

07.jpg

Not the best example perhaps, but my toy is still highly functional. :-)

good idea but too bad it didn't work as you intended, shows how lazy bandai got on this

Let's NOT get started on this sh!t again. Anyone who wants some kind of 'perfect' 1/60 VF-25, wait another 10 years. Or buy a Bandai. I know *I* am not buying any Yamato products for a long, long time.

Let's NOT get started on this sh!t again. Anyone who wants some kind of 'perfect' 1/60 VF-25, wait another 10 years. Or buy a Bandai. I know *I* am not buying any Yamato products for a long, long time.

meh, your disdain for yamato aside, it's perfectly reasonable to think bandai could have worked those changes in for the sake of posability themselves.

And I don't think it's going to be 10 years before bandai makes a ver 2.0 of these guys, much much sooner.

Yes, well, OK.

BANDAI SUCKS for not making the DX VF-25 the way some folks would prefer it to be done. Anything else to add to this discussion?

yes, we get it. We all suck and are too stupid to realize how awesome the DX and bandai are. You yourself cut yours apart less than a month after you got it to improve it. Why is it so awful for those of us not as model minded to expect Bandai to have thought of those rather simple improvements themselves? Just like we expect yamato to do some goddamn materials stress tests on their toys before selling them?