1/72 Wave VF-19 kai

Valkyrie addict

Hello, well, since HWR MKII is bringing this part of the board back to live with something other than the VF-25, I'd thought I'll add a little something of my own, I think there's never been a build up of one of this wave kits, this kit has been sitting taking dust for a long time alongside the 1/72 VF-17S, I put off building this kit since it's vinyl (never work on it before), and I don't like this valk at all, I just got it at a bargain price bundled with the VF-17S on ebay

I will use this kit to get the most experience working on vinyl before building the VF-17S, anyway, first time building a vinyl kit, did my research, doesn't seem too hard, biggest pain it's cutting the pieces of their big vinyl chunk base and then sanding them, kinda annoying, even after heating it up is not as easy as some people say it is, hehehe, well, here we go

box
wave01.jpg

parts
wave02.jpg

more parts, very few stickers and metal hands...
wave03.jpg

well, this is all I got done for today, maybe will do more tommorrow
wave04.jpg

wave05.jpg

I really don't have any love for the 19Kai, I will try to see if I can mod it to be a VF-19S, I was checking the lineart and pics of the wave 19s and the only differences are the head, wings and gunpod, so I'll see what I can do, if it turns out to be too hard, It'll finish it off as a 19kai

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I have this very same kit. Actually I have 2 of them, along with 4 of the Vf17 ones and the blue vf19 that Wave did. is a nicely made kit, and shares most of the of parts with the blue 19. to cut the parts off I use the sharp plastic scissors, that have a slight curve on them, Tamiya do some IIRC. they are uber sharp and stay sharp for years.

Vinyl is not that bad to work with. I have built a few kits made from it. Super glue is best to glue bits together, two part epoxy also works. You can add filler to it and even car body filler.

I tend to paint mine with a base coat of rattle can auto paint primer and then add the air brushed paints of choice

Got the same kit and the first edition, which only differ in having metal hands!

Working with vinyl is pretty straight forward, a good advise is to use new sharp blades and by soaking the part to be trimmed in warm water first, this makes things much easier!

"sorry to post here but does anyone know how to straighten out a vinyl piece that has curled? it came like that when i opened the box.", try soaking the part in warm to hot water and a minute or two, take it out and remold it and then dip it in cold water to harden, repeat if necessary!

Also, another good hint or advise in building the VF-19 vinyl kit is to weigh down the feet and lower legs by filling it with plaster or else the completed kit might have difficulties standing on its own without support!

"sorry to post here but does anyone know how to straighten out a vinyl piece that has curled? it came like that when i opened the box.", try soaking the part in warm to hot water and a minute or two, take it out and remold it and then dip it in cold water to harden, repeat if necessary!

Also, another good hint or advise in building the VF-19 vinyl kit is to weigh down the feet and lower legs by filling it with plaster or else the completed kit might have difficulties standing on its own without support!

Yes they are a bit top heavy the Kai with sound booster is even worse. Plaster of Paris is the cheap and easy way to weight down the lower limb sections.

If the part is thick enough, sometimes I would put a pin through it (e.g. wire or paperclip).

BTW, I highly recommending getting Mr. Metal Primer to prime your kit before painting.

woa! my threat is getting hijack, hahaha! kidding, actually good info here for me too since I'm a beginner on vinyl

well, no pictures for now, lazy to download them from the digicam, maybe when more work is done, overall, I gotta say I'm very impressed with the kit quality, Wave sure makes nice kits, and the joints are pretty solid also, to bad this kits series have become a bit rare

to cut and shape the vinyl I'm heating the pieces up with a blowdrier and then cut with a sharp xacto knife, but there sure is a lot of cutting with vinyl, what I have found most difficult is sanding, vinyl is hard to sand specially on those hard to reach areas

well, just to clarify something, this wave kit is awesome, what I don't like about it is that it is a VF-19Kai Basara whatever, valk with faces are a big no-no to me, I've been reshaping the head to a VF-19S type with sanding and putty and overall is coming quite good, after that, the rest should be pretty straight forward, I will not reshape the wings since they're in position that's irrelevant to reshape, the gunpod I'll decide to reshape after most of the kit is done

thanks about the weighting down the legs tip, I read about this but I didn't think it was necessary in this kit but now that you mention it, I'll do it

hey HWR MKII, when you did this kit, don't know if you remember, the torso and the backpack...I cut them in the lines following the instructions but when I testfit them there's a small gap between them, by heating them up and squishing will they align properly???

will most likely post pictures of the finished modded head and assembly so far of the rest of the kit tomorrow night :ph34r: any other tips about vinyl are thankfully welcome ^_^

Hey, looking good there Nexx Stalker, what I like is the simplicity but yet very accurate detail of the kit...please post pictures of it when you're finished or of your progress here

well, few pics of the modded head

here's the lineart to compare both heads
19-1.jpg

The kit provides you with two heads, one with the face and one with some kind of mouthpiece that I never saw on the anime, just on the opening intro, I decided to use the one with the mouth piece since it would be easier to mod
wave06.jpg

wave07.jpg

Here it is sanded, ended up angled to the back, I thought my work was done but noticed it look weird and then realized I had to fix this
wave08a.jpg

wave09.jpg

The face has to be angled more straight as marked
wave08b.jpg

Well...after lots of sanding, putty, sanding sanding sanding, fix the face and also covered the sides and back according to the 19S, since this type is more like a helmet, oh yes, sanded too the 'lighting bolt rays' [ugg!! rolleyes.gif ]on the visor
wave10.jpg

and here it is with the mounting for the laser antennas
wave11.jpg

well, still have a few more quirks to fix and sand a few rough edges but I guess I'm doing alright... cool.gif

Aw man :( I so wish you hadn't moded it :) I was looking forward to the finished Kai since I'm a sucker for Bassara :)

As for the covered-mouth face; I could never really figure out what that was for - and also - did the mouth serve any purpose other than being anthropomorphic? I mean - was there a sound system in the mouth that emitted the music/vocals? I guess it would make sense then for the face plate to open revealing the main weapon of the battroid: it's big singin' mouth...

Anyways - good work :)

Pete

Is this the part where I let you finish and then offer to cast my Blue Blazer 19 as per your line art pic. :p

Good work bu the way.

The blue wave 19's are far harder to get that the red one so if you ever wanted to do a Basara one then you would be still able to get one.

The sound force one with the fast pack is still not so common though :(

hey, it does look sorta like a 19P, the head style is very similar except that most of the front area is a big visor, if I were to paint it all green it would look more like a P, hehehe, nice catch

sorry VFTF1, I know you're a big Basara fan, I was very surprised when you changed your avatar at first I thought it was someone else, the Wave VF-19S is almost impossible to get, I myself have never seen it sold anywhere (unlucky me), so I had to do this to such a fine crafted kit

that is just mean big F (if I got you right, hehe), I'm here doing all this and you just gloat at me about your blue blazer ;)

anyway, sorry about the slow update, holidays, ehhehe

there isn't much to take pics of, mostly a lot of cutting, test fitting, sanding... bleh

well, here's the head almost finished, need to paint and attach the other head lasers...
wave13.jpg

a few painted pieces, the others are curing
wave14.jpg

this parts were a royal pain, I cut them in the line and they didn't fit properly, and left a huge ass gap, I had to put a lot putty in it and sand, I was eventually going to do this to erase that big triangle that's not part of the 19s lineart but filling the gap and having to sand it smooth trying to carefully not erase the panel lines was so tedious
wave15.jpg

wave16.jpg

well...I'm letting the painted pieces to cure for about a day and half since I really don't know how the vinyl reacts to the paint eventhought I primed it with acrylic base, but still, better safe than sorry

and damn, had a little accident and the head fell to the floor and the freaking visor paint cracked and chipped, I think I'm gonna have to repaint the visor again... ugh

that is just mean big F (if I got you right, hehe), I'm here doing all this and you just gloat at me about your blue blazer ;)

Originally I was going to build it but now I would probably just take a cast of the parts and make one from that.

As mine is the only one I have ever seen it is far too rare to mess with, So it stays unbuilt.

slow update...

almost done... some clear coating left, panel lining, I'm debating myself what color to panel line, I don't think the usual panel line will be noticeable so maybe I'll go with black or perhaps.... white? blink.gif

wave17.jpg

ok...remembered I had to add some weight to the legs...

so, empty legs
wave18.jpg

cheapo brand clay
wave19.jpg

filled legs, it really added weight to it
wave20.jpg

test fitting legs
wave21.jpg

got impatient and had to see how the bad boy was looking, thought this lighting looks kinda nice
wave23.jpg

hmm...I'm having some trouble with the knee, I don't know if it was design like that, but it doesn't seem to be able to flex, it extend slightly forward and that's it... if anyone who's built one of this wave kit can clear this up for me

thanks for looking happy.gif

Originally I was going to build it but now I would probably just take a cast of the parts and make one from that.

As mine is the only one I have ever seen it is far too rare to mess with, So it stays unbuilt.

Eh, They aren't THAT rare.... I've seen I think at least two on the forums for sale, and a few on ebay and the like. Given how long some of them stayed on the forums unsold (Blackaces was listed for over a year at $70), I don't think they are in demand.

Eh, They aren't THAT rare.... I've seen I think at least two on the forums for sale, and a few on ebay and the like. Given how long some of them stayed on the forums unsold (Blackaces was listed for over a year at $70), I don't think they are in demand.

Yeah I bought Blackaces's one, since then I have not seen another on ebay and I do look quite often, maybe a little too often :). As far as the MW sale forums are concerned I could well have missed one or two. the shame of it was in 2003 I saw one in Aki for £15 and didnt get it although I did get the 17 that was with it for £15 :)

Trouble is once you have got one for cheap you kinda want them all cheap. The most I have paid for a Wave 1/72 was $80 IIRC

I think the problem with the 19 Blazer was it was not made in as many numbers as the more common KAI and 17

Much easier to get a Kai and mod it into a Blazer than wait for one to come up.

What I really wanted was the Sound booster Kai Missed a few of them over the years, they do tend to go for high prices though.

Edited by big F

I must have miss those sales on ebay and the wanted section too, a shame I would bought them...so I'm force to butcher the kai, ehhehe

anywho...doing from scratch the gunpod, I was originally planning to mod the Kai gunpod but it's shaped totally different and it would be too much work with that vinyl
I checked some lineart and started scratchbuilding with some left over resin sprues and putty, but when I checked again and it turns out that the lineart, the Yamato YF-19, a Bandai VF-19 and the picture of the wave VF-19 gunpods, all four show some very noticeable differences and I don't know which one exactly to do, well...here's how it's coming so far, but still a lot to do and improve

wave23-1.jpg