A wishlist for Capt. America

Excillon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My vote would be for ground support vehicles.

And since this is a "wishlist", I would add that I would like them 1/60 scale since I'm a toy guy (yes I know this is the modelling section :p)

Perhaps 1/66 would work, as it is a fair compromise for both 1/72 and 1/60 and could tap two markets. I don't know, just putting it out there. Who knows, maybe Cap is looking for a nice small project and this could fit the bill. Besides sometimes wishes do come true.

im1257-69f.jpg

Edited by Crazy Canuck II

sigh, there's so many great ground vehicle designs in the art books. I wish someone would do them. Honneamise started them but never finished. They looked so perfect too.

I believe there are many of us that are interested to build them if they can get their hands on the artworks of the ground vehicles. I'd finished doing the schematics of the centepede and am now sculpting some of the parts. I'll post some pictures when I finish the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote:

1) 1/32 VF-4 (jeez guys, there's already TWO 1/72 kits!) I'd pay A LOT for that.

2) Salan Scout Ship (aka Picket Ship)

3) Line-art VF-0. CG version was a disappointment - long and skinny!

4) Glaug booster

5) Nupetiet-Vergnitz Umpteen-Million-in-Roman-Numerals (1/5000, to go with the injection SDF-1)

Well I had to put in one completely silly one.

You know I can understand most of these requests (even the crazy wish-list ones) but I can't get my head around this one.

10. A solid, non kitbash gerwalk conversion kit!

The kitbash gerwalk (using Hase kits) is so easy to do and at around $60 it's less expensive than a resin conversion kit would be, plus afterward you've got some great bits left over for your spares box.

And for those of you who continually wine about all these great models you'd like to have while at the same time bemoaning your horrid lack of skills I have but one thing to say,

" If you care enough to whine about - Suck It Up, quit your winning and start to learn." Kit building is not brain surgery. All it takes is time patience and some dedication. Every skill needed for the hobby can be accquired if you can supply those three things. If your not willing to invest those then IMHO you forefit your right to complain. Talent is a concept created by those who wish to be better at something, but are unwillinng to put in the work that becomming better demands.

O.K. off my soapbox now ( sorry 'bout that not sure where it came from it just kind of happened )

Anyway Cap'n Although I've never been a customer of yours I do thoroughly enjoy watchinng you do your thing and it gives a strange sense that all is right with the world when I see the love and concern for quality that you put into your work, plus knowing that such well crafted versions of some of my favourits subjects exist in the world makes it easier to sleep at night. That being said I do think that the ground vehicles in 1/72 are a greatly needed product as are the enemy mecha.

O.K. off my soapbox now ( sorry 'bout that not sure where it came from it just kind of happened )

Ha! I understand your feelings, though I don't really share them. I LOVE kits; there's just something really nice about a really well-executed garage kit. I have the skills to scratch if necessary but lack the time. Don't even have time to build kits lately for that matter. Still want them though.

I haven't really read those complaints as being particularly whiney - more explanatory - but yeah, just diving in and giving something a go is always a good plan. John's skills didn't happen by accident of birth.

edit: you've inspired me to get myself a sig quote thingie. It's also from a classic of 20th-century literature. :)

Edited by Kremmen

You know I can understand most of these requests (even the crazy wish-list ones) but I can't get my head around this one.

The kitbash gerwalk (using Hase kits) is so easy to do and at around $60 it's less expensive than a resin conversion kit would be, plus afterward you've got some great bits left over for your spares box.

I disagree. I have seen the Hasegawa battroid/fighter Gerwalk kitbashes and haven't been impressed for the most part. Now I am not picking the builders here, but I can't get past the massive gap that you get at the feet, nor the awkward knee joint. A solid resin conversion kit would give some much needed weight to the legs making the kit stable too. I have a partially finished conversion kit in the works - I just need to finish it off and get it cast.

Edited by Berttt

Just out of curiosity, what do the experts out there think the cost per model would be if someone with experience (like the Captain) were to take on the infamous 1/60 Monster for a production run?

/Every time I see that picture, I just drool.

Which picture? I assume you're referring to the Yamato one? So are you asking for something that ships assembled and painted, or an actual kit? I'm not an expert, but for a modelmaker to assemble and paint models you'd have to expect to pay commission prices; several thousand dollars I'd think.

If you're asking about a kit, there's already a 1/72 which might give some idea of the price for a 1/60, but I can't recall what Mike was asking.

Which picture? I assume you're referring to the Yamato one? So are you asking for something that ships assembled and painted, or an actual kit? I'm not an expert, but for a modelmaker to assemble and paint models you'd have to expect to pay commission prices; several thousand dollars I'd think.

If you're asking about a kit, there's already a 1/72 which might give some idea of the price for a 1/60, but I can't recall what Mike was asking.

Yeah, sorry, should've been more specific. I was thinking of an actual kit, based on this picture:

untitled.jpg

I've heard of Mike's kit, thanks for reminding me...I'll spend some time digging around and see if I can find some info on it. Like I said, just curious.

Yeah, sorry, should've been more specific. I was thinking of an actual kit, based on this picture:

untitled.jpg

I've heard of Mike's kit, thanks for reminding me...I'll spend some time digging around and see if I can find some info on it. Like I said, just curious.

I've got a MS Monster up for sale...

untitled.jpg

This thing in Resin would probably weigh over 100lbs?

It would be quite heavy, but wouldn't get into that range unless it was cast solid. You cast hollow parts, as thin as possible while still being sturdy enough to avoid warping.

There are limitations and problems associated with making something like a 1/60 Monster out of PU resin, and to me, that simply wouldn't be practical. If you cast large parts solid, the exotherm created by the PU will cook itself in the mold and warp the part; if you cast parts hollow in certain areas and full in others, you end up with assymetrical shrinkage which brings about warpage... And that's not to speak of material sag over time, load-bearing matters and so on and so forth. I say just stick with Mike's 1/72 kit.

There are limitations and problems associated with making something like a 1/60 Monster out of PU resin, and to me, that simply wouldn't be practical. If you cast large parts solid, the exotherm created by the PU will cook itself in the mold and warp the part; if you cast parts hollow in certain areas and full in others, you end up with assymetrical shrinkage which brings about warpage... And that's not to speak of material sag over time, load-bearing matters and so on and so forth. I say just stick with Mike's 1/72 kit.

Ahhhh, PU is for wimps. Use epoxy and run a lot of CF tube and rod into the moulds. Hell, it's only going to add another nine or ten thousand to the price. Now if only Kurt Kuhn was a Macross fan. :D

Yeah, I dabble myself and have gotten away with casting one or two pretty thick pieces but that thing would be a whole different kettle of fish. Sag clearly is an issue - it's a proto so could be built of anything, but it has a ton of supports and obviously needs them.

It may not be an utterly unachievable casting job but it would probably require more experimentation with mould layouts than anyone could really justify. Silicone is very far from cheap, unfortunately.

Edited by Kremmen

Better question, who would actually buy it? 1/60 is a toy scale, not a model one. I would surmise that toy collectors aren't the best modelmakers and probably wouldn't spring for a resin project that requires advanced modeling skills. You might get a few here or there, maybe some model makers interested in it purely for its size, but I suspect you wouldn't get many takers for such a model, particularly when there is an comparable competitor, in 1/72 scale, which doesn't have a ridiculous shipping cost attached to it.

i wish for....

1/72 scale vf-4g lightning III fighter mode

1/72 scale vf-9 cutlass fighter mode

1/72 scale vf-11b thunderbolt + booster + fast pack fighter mode (macross plus version)

1/72 scale vf-14 vampire fighter mode

1/72 scale vf-17s nightmare fighter mode

1/72 scale vf-5000g starmirage + booster fighter mode

1/72 scale booster + fast pack for yf-19 and yf-21 fighter

1/72 scale cat's eye

1/72 scale vb-6 konig monster gerwalk

1/72 scale neoglaug fighter from macross m3

lastly, if possible, a 1/72 scale Valhalla III VC-551 Stealth Submersible Strike Carrier

Edited by shinagami

maybe a fiberglass hull, arms, and feet for a 1/60, heck 1/35 Monster. it'd be 1 off or a limited run of a few. they sold a few 1/72 nimitz class carrier fiberglass hulls back in the mid-late 80's... and a few guys bought them! check your old FSM's if you don't believe...

:)

see you there?

steel city con (pittsburgh), g-fest (chicago), wonderfest (louisville)

maybe a fiberglass hull, arms, and feet for a 1/60, heck 1/35 Monster. it'd be 1 off or a limited run of a few. they sold a few 1/72 nimitz class carrier fiberglass hulls back in the mid-late 80's... and a few guys bought them! check your old FSM's if you don't believe...

:)

see you there?

steel city con (pittsburgh), g-fest (chicago), wonderfest (louisville)

1/35 Monster custom-made one-off? Sure, I'll do it. You picking up the tab? :lol:

I'll probably revive the 1/32 Legioss before I get around to that though.

1/35 Monster custom-made one-off? Sure, I'll do it. You picking up the tab? :lol:

I remember seeing a custom 1/32 Legioss before, was that yours? I think it was 60% complete, looks awesome!!!

Didn't Sean say that if somebody make a 1/35 Monster he'd figure out a way to make it remote controlled?

Yup, that was mine. It was closer to 80% complete... Back then anyway.

Is it still where you left off, or any closer to finished? Its been sometime since I saw, but always wanted ( I'm sure you did too) it in complete form!! B))

After seeing PetarB's VF-2SS Max Special, my wishlist would be:

1/72 VF-2SS

1/72 Metal Siren

1/72 VF-2JA

With the exception of the VF-2SS (fighter mode), none of these have been made in 1/72 scale. I'd love to see the Captain's take on these mecha, fighter or battroid mode.

Money for models or toys now a days is super tight, but if they released HIGH quality kits of the 3 you mentioned above LoneWolf, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat, way way over due for these Valkyries!!!

if only i could pick up the tab for a 1/35th monster...sigh....and make it walk... and turn the guns into potato cannons....and i'd ride it off into the sunset.

;)

hmm...my 1/72 with spud guns just to see the blaze of 4 cannons at once

Hey Miriya, Are these what your looking for? Macross II Marduk battle Pods. Version 1 & 2. B))

Thank you 505thAirborne! Those second two pictures are EXACTLY what I am talking about. Where did you get those pics? I looked on Mr.March's site and it was not on the the Macross Mecha Manual.

So, Captain America, What do you think? Would you make that?

Hey Miriya, Got the info from one of my favorite old school books. its worth getting if you can find it, it has ever possible mecha and specs from Macross II in it. Also included are the Destroids from Macross II, they never seem to get much mention, but are little bad a$$e$!!! B))

post-6180-1236307543_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1236308004_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1236308014_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1236308042_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1236308060_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

If you guys look into the history of what kits the Captain has actually made, you'd realize that none of those things would ever be made by him. The demands for those models made in resin would be unsuprisingly low, and there's a gap that the Cap is trying to fill in the 1/72 world that those mechs don't belong in.