A wishlist for Capt. America

Excillon

If you guys look into the history of what kits the Captain has actually made, you'd realize that none of those things would ever be made by him. The demands for those models made in resin would be unsuprisingly low, and there's a gap that the Cap is trying to fill in the 1/72 world that those mechs don't belong in.

EXO You took the words out of my mouth, I know this is a wishlist, but I think most of what Cap works on is Macross TV related. However, I cannot speak for Cap and he may tackle many other projects, But as of date hes has done Macross TV. 8) Which is why I love the work he does. Hey I am all for other projects, But I would not be very interested in those.

To give you a hint of things that we could see for future release that have been talked about before in 1/72 is

All Are Macross TV:

GPB VF-1 Armor

Glaug ( Have to sell an arm for this one)

Cat's Eye ( better version then the Tannman project)

Zen Male and Female Armor

These are just Ideas, and things that have been talked about, none are fully on the block other then the Glaug.

If you guys look into the history of what kits the Captain has actually made, you'd realize that none of those things would ever be made by him. The demands for those models made in resin would be unsuprisingly low, and there's a gap that the Cap is trying to fill in the 1/72 world that those mechs don't belong in.

Agree. I really hope you're right, anyway. There's plenty of room for more great new 1/72 kits of original old-school Miyatake and Kawamorii stuff - the original and best!

That said I think I'm going to get myself a 1/60 Yamato Phalanx when it comes out. I don't give a damn if "it's not a model scale", it can still be converted into a proper model. Big Phalanx! Yum!

I agree to some extent, and when you look at these things they have to have wide enough appeal, to the collectors who would buy them for the Captain to cover his time and expenses to make the things, but if people don't go through the books and pull out new ideas who knows what might get overlooked. I want to think correct me if I'm wrong) he's usually looking to make at least 30 to 50 kits to justify making a master and molds. if you know what the kits run, you can basically see the low end of the ballpark you would be in if you wanted to commission him to do a private run (I'd suspect, if whe was even open to the idea), so something that only a half dozen people want isn't going to get made unless you have deep pockets.

I am enamoured with the Zent designs in Macross, I'd absolutely be into a kit of the first design, probably not so much on the second :)

EXO You took the words out of my mouth, I know this is a wishlist, but I think most of what Cap works on is Macross TV related. However, I cannot speak for Cap and he may tackle many other projects, But as of date hes has done Macross TV. 8) Which is why I love the work he does. Hey I am all for other projects, But I would not be very interested in those.

To give you a hint of things that we could see for future release that have been talked about before in 1/72 is

All Are Macross TV:

GPB VF-1 Armor

Glaug ( Have to sell an arm for this one)

Cat's Eye ( better version then the Tannman project)

Zen Male and Female Armor

These are just Ideas, and things that have been talked about, none are fully on the block other then the Glaug.

I agree with you. Maybe except for the Cat's Eye (I have the Tanmen one), and the GBP (I'm building the Neograde version).

But another thing that I really, really want, it's the FANLINER.

I think that after the Glaug, this could be a good option, considering the high cost of the Glaug, Fanliner is very small, and cheap.

fanliner.gif

I agree with you. Maybe except for the Cat's Eye (I have the Tanmen one), and the GBP (I'm building the Neograde version).

But another thing that I really, really want, it's the FANLINER.

I think that after the Glaug, this could be a good option, considering the high cost of the Glaug, Fanliner is very small, and cheap.

fanliner.gif

:D hehe! you got that right!

Naturally, I would love one of these...

LOL Peter? you realize you have to make 2 specific Figs for this now? LOL And I am sure you know which 2? Just joking, But yeah this would be nice. I am going to use 2 of the Male figures that I bought from you if John gets around to the Cats Eye.

Sucky part is I live in Cali with none of my Model Materials, they are all back in Louisiana, But I will be buying and Painting your Pilots when then arrive. So I have them ready to go.

LOL Peter? you realize you have to make 2 specific Figs for this now? LOL And I am sure you know which 2?

I was thinking in the same. And not just for this one, but also for the VT-102 (VF-1D).

• 3 weeks later...

He considered them on the Samurai Monkey board, but had other SDFM kits he wanted to finish first. With the current suspension of that board, I don't know where he hangs his hat these days.... B))

1/24 kit by Arii, if I remember right it was made mostly of a ceramic material and plastic.

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI30111

No longer called Arii, interesting.

oh yeah, I remember that one. someone on here was doing a detail up build on one of these. they're really bare bones out of the box and made mostly out of ceramics.

oh yeah, I remember that one. someone on here was doing a detail up build on one of these. they're really bare bones out of the box and made mostly out of ceramics.

IIRC, the valks are made by REDS. Available scales were 1/24, 1/32, and an odd 1/20 :blink:. The 1/24 was polyresin and the other two were just resin. All have very little details. Only the 1/24 is painted and needs minor assembly. None had strike or super packs.

1/18th scale to go with the other planes and diecasts out there. Or a 1/32nd scale Moscato Ultimate Valkyrie with photoetched framing and white metal internal components. Yeah.

Yeah! That!!! And a VF-0S to go with it!! :D

• 5 months later...

Happen to dig out this thread.

First the 1/72 glaug project is so legendary and thanks, John, for making it true (sign, too late for me to order).

I know you are very busy but is it possible to make a 1/60 vf-4G become true? It is definitely my favorite (of course, many other guys' favorite also).

If John really agrees this idea, I personally suggest to build a fund in advance for starting such a project. For example, we can open a fixed period (say, 1 month) thread to count the rough number who really like it, in a fixed period (I think it should be at least 100). Then everyone transfter a bit money (for example, $10-20, of course, it will be best if John suggests), such fund should be with an ok-amount for running such project and John will not have to worry about the initial cost.

Don't know whether it is practical and strongly need suggestions from John, all of vf-4g 1/60 lovers, and support from Graham and Shawn.

Edited by gwfalcon

Personally i would like to see the captain do something far out there. Kinda like how fantastic plastic had a contest for people to design a model and the winning one gets made. Something to break the macross stalemate and really show off what John can do. 100% original.

Personally i would like to see the captain do something far out there. Kinda like how fantastic plastic had a contest for people to design a model and the winning one gets made. Something to break the macross stalemate and really show off what John can do. 100% original.

The problems associated with doing something that's "far out there" are, among others:

-not always popular subjects

-incredibly difficult to mold/cast: concessions have to be made when you want to be able to mold and cast something a few dozen times.

That having been said, I have my own mecha design that I've been massaging for the last 17 years, which I never got around to doing anything with. I had considered dusting that off at some point, but I don't know how well it would be received; most people would likely dismiss it as an "Eva ripoff on steroids" even though it was designed at least 3 years before Eva ever aired.

At the risk of insulting someone... I'm just gonna go ahead and say it...

that is god awful ugly... its everything wrong with people that have no flair with mech design given a pencil. Even Mazinger Z with 80% less line has better detail... somebody stop me.

Silence! I keeel you! ^_^

In all seriousness, I like it because it's got mostly clean lines and not too much "wonkyness" going on with it. Not too much stuff there just to be there. It reminds me of how someone once described the mecha from Gasaraki: mecha as if the Israelies had designed it. Plus, like most of the stupid mecha we usually slobber over, it gives fond childhood memories that almost certainly have no bearing in adult life :)

that is god awful ugly... its everything wrong with people that have no flair with mech design given a pencil. Even Mazinger Z with 80% less line has better detail... somebody stop me.

Exo, thank you for saying it so I didn't have to. :D

Cory...I totally get that Israeli comment for Gasaraki - that's a really good comparison. I'm just bewildered that this design could ever put anyone in mind of Gasaraki stuff. Also, is "Glitter Boy" the most unmanly mech name ever? :)

electric indigo - $5300. Unbelievable! I wonder if the bidder actually came through? It's a nice enough effort but only 9" tall, and certainly not 100% accurate. I would love a good Prawn exo suit. (There's something I couldn't have imagined myself saying a couple of months ago.)

BTW, someone on RPF has been talking with Greg Broadmore about releasing some District 9 concept art, including the suit. Yes please! In fact, where's the art book?!

Edited by Kremmen

Stop you from speaking the truth? Never!

For what it's worth, the Long/Siembieda artwork has always made my skin crawl; they manage to take an otherwise good mecha concept and render it in the most unflattering way possible. Left unsupervised, I'm not surprised that they came up with that, that... Thing. :mellow:

There are limitations and problems associated with making something like a 1/60 Monster out of PU resin, and to me, that simply wouldn't be practical. If you cast large parts solid, the exotherm created by the PU will cook itself in the mold and warp the part; if you cast parts hollow in certain areas and full in others, you end up with assymetrical shrinkage which brings about warpage... And that's not to speak of material sag over time, load-bearing matters and so on and so forth. I say just stick with Mike's 1/72 kit.

Unfortunately I'm a little late to this forum so here goes: where do I get one of these....ummm.....monsters?

Edited by aquilon