Macross fan builds fembot

danth

Been married 10 years, never had any problems or complaints (well, about that anyway other than "you want what?! what time is it?! You expect me to do what after I had to do all those dishes?! You never cook me dinner anymore! Where's my backrub! You just want to get laid, you don't love me! The kids might wake up! Where's my new laptop, huh?!") Wait a minute...maybe this guys got a good idea. F**k this, gimmie the goddamned robot!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, I meant who cares if a ROBOT has an orgasm.

Seriously though, gimmie the f**king robot, I'm sooooooooooo not playing.

Long as you get yours right eh.

Proly in the long run, having a fembot is cheaper too. You don't have to buy her jewerly everytime you screw up or take her out to a fancy dinner, she wont go to the mall and buy tons of shoes, dresses, purses, ect...

Now if theres a mpc one with glowing head...

Edited by Zentrandude

Been married 10 years, never had any problems or complaints (well, about that anyway other than "you want what?! what time is it?! You expect me to do what after I had to do all those dishes?! You never cook me dinner anymore! Where's my backrub! You just want to get laid, you don't love me! The kids might wake up! Where's my new laptop, huh?!") Wait a minute...maybe this guys got a good idea. F**k this, gimmie the goddamned robot!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, I meant who cares if a ROBOT has an orgasm.

Seriously though, gimmie the f**king robot, I'm sooooooooooo not playing.

You better care if that robot gets hers, becuase that is when you find out thats not a toaster you just put your bread into it was a food processor.

You know - this thread brings up a question:

Don't robot women have the right to an orgasm? Shouldn't they be treated with respect? Shouldn't their feelings on the issue matter?

If Aiko has sensors - then the can sense pain and discomfort just as much as she can sense pleasure. So, just as we try to avoid pain and discomfort in life, and just as it is wrong and illegal to inflict pain and discomfort on others (although of course sometimes accident or fate does that anyways) - wouldn't it be wrong to inflict on Aiko?

Of course, women don't have a legal right to an orgasm - so neither should Aiko - but in terms of social conventions and what we expect of one another - at this point we are still speaking about Aiko as a thing.

Heck - I'm sure we treat of Yamato Valkyrie with greater care and respect then we would treat Aiko - yet those do not even have sensors.

So...

It is only a matter of time before the issue of the rights of Robots comes up.

Pete

Sensors or not, they only feel what we program them to feel amirite? :3

Sure - but if we program them to feel pain, then we do so for the same reasons that humans are "programed" to feel pain: namely, as a defensive mechanism. If you put your hand on a hot stove, your sensors tell you "hot!!" and you instinctively remove your hand so as to prevent further damage. The same with Aiko's sensors. They are there to protect her. And just like it would be wrong to infer, that since humans can sense pain, then we should purposefully inflict it on them, so to, it would not be right to infer this with regards to Aiko.

Pete

"...the 600 series had rubber skin, easy to detect... these are new. blood, sweat, bad breath..."

we're all gonna die !!! :lol:

it's an impressive project. it's pretty advanced stuff for something built in a basement.

the facial & object recognition software alone could be something the military would be interested in.

i guess the next step would be to fit all that data into something that'll fit inside the frame.

looks like the CPU's still wired from outside, with a bunch of other doodads, doohickeys & thingamajigs.

then he can work on making it walk.

then we're all doomed :lol:

I find it highly unlikely that we are doomed. If anything, we will simply begin on the path to the next step in evolution.

Asimov wrote a very moving short story once - Eyes, I think it was called? - in any event, it was about two people who, in the far future, had become immortal via a process by which humans transfered their brain waves into light beams which traversed the universe throughout infinity.

Two such beams met, and one of them said he feels terrible; so the other asks why, to which the first replies:

"Because long ago, I thought about something which made me sad, but then, because I have no eyes, I couldn't cry, so I have been carrying this sad thought in me forever and have no way to let it out."

Well.... who knows what the future holds? Maybe something like Skynet will destroy us all...

But from what I think I know about humans, they would sooner push the button than would a computer system...

Truly we are on the verge of a very very different world from the one I was born into. Wow.

Pete

Sure - but if we program them to feel pain, then we do so for the same reasons that humans are "programed" to feel pain: namely, as a defensive mechanism. If you put your hand on a hot stove, your sensors tell you "hot!!" and you instinctively remove your hand so as to prevent further damage. The same with Aiko's sensors. They are there to protect her. And just like it would be wrong to infer, that since humans can sense pain, then we should purposefully inflict it on them, so to, it would not be right to infer this with regards to Aiko.

Pete

Being programmed to feel pain only means that they are able to identify the feeling as pain. It doesn't mean that the pain feeling actually feels bad to them. I'm not saying that it's alright to inflict pain on anything purposefully. I'm just saying that a person or animal feeling pain is a different thing compared to this particular robot.

I read this thread before reading the article.

WTF this guy has three degrees, and is unemployed.

Cant help thinking he's a little sad, but with parents that threw out his creations when he was a kid you cant entirely blame him.

Got to hand it to him for dedication and spending 20k on Ccards while unemployed, that takes some effort.

Not sure I'd want a bot to clean out my ears with a Q-tip. I managed to perforate my own ear with one so I don't need a robots help.

Some of the worlds best inventions have come from the Garage builders in the weekend hobby world. Just shows you don't need to be a mega corp to be able to do stuff.

Sharyk:

Being programmed to feel pain only means that they are able to identify the feeling as pain. It doesn't mean that the pain feeling actually feels bad to them. I'm not saying that it's alright to inflict pain on anything purposefully. I'm just saying that a person or animal feeling pain is a different thing compared to this particular robot.

Agreed Sharyk.

And I'm not saying that either. I am, however, saying that with more inventions like this and more advances in technology; it's an issue that's going to be very real and in need of discussion pretty soon.

Pete

I find it highly unlikely that we are doomed. If anything, we will simply begin on the path to the next step in evolution.

Asimov wrote a very moving short story once - Eyes, I think it was called? - in any event, it was about two people who, in the far future, had become immortal via a process by which humans transfered their brain waves into light beams which traversed the universe throughout infinity.

Two such beams met, and one of them said he feels terrible; so the other asks why, to which the first replies:

"Because long ago, I thought about something which made me sad, but then, because I have no eyes, I couldn't cry, so I have been carrying this sad thought in me forever and have no way to let it out."

Well.... who knows what the future holds? Maybe something like Skynet will destroy us all...

But from what I think I know about humans, they would sooner push the button than would a computer system...

Truly we are on the verge of a very very different world from the one I was born into. Wow.

Pete

You haven't seen The Terminator yet have you? :p

I read this thread before reading the article.

WTF this guy has three degrees, and is unemployed.

Cant help thinking he's a little sad, but with parents that threw out his creations when he was a kid you cant entirely blame him.

Got to hand it to him for dedication and spending 20k on Ccards while unemployed, that takes some effort.

He might have three degrees, but I don't hink he's very smart spending 20k by maxing out several credit cards. The CC companies will want to get their money+interest someday.

Pete

Man, this this has gotta stop. You're associating Asimov and the Terminator with a f**kdoll. So basically, you're hypothisizing that pissed off women robots are gonna revolt and kill us all because they didn't get the big O? Women have been doing without the big O for THOUSANDS of years from us, and they haven't killed us YET. I stress yet, because if I happen to accidently leave this thread open and my wife reads what I've written, I'm so f**king dead...

Edited by Excillon

now combine aiko's recognition and response technology, with the expressions and movement of the Actroid Der 2

(

), and, voila, ladies and gentlemen, GITS isn't that too far off anymore. :p

Sharyk:

Agreed Sharyk.

And I'm not saying that either. I am, however, saying that with more inventions like this and more advances in technology; it's an issue that's going to be very real and in need of discussion pretty soon.

Pete

Pete, you're already waxing philosophical on this one, and i can't blame you. and if ever the discussion on robot rights is upon us, i would like to hope that mankind has enough reference material (i.e. asimov novels, matrix movies, just to name a few) to have an enlightened point of view on the matter. funny how classic works of fiction could end up being the Bible for a new robotic age. hell, asimov's three rules are already a given.

Man, this this has gotta stop. You're associating Asimov and the Terminator with a f**kdoll. So basically, you're hypothisizing that pissed off women robots are gonna revolt and kill us all because they didn't get the big O? Women have been doing without the big O for THOUSANDS of years from us, and they haven't killed us YET. I stress yet, because if I happen to accidently leave this thread open and my wife reads what I've written, I'm so f**king dead...

haha. you have the makings of a blockbuster apocalyptic movie script right there. "The Day the Girls Stood Still". :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

haha. you have the makings of a blockbuster apocalyptic movie script right there. "The Day the Girls Stood Still". :p

ROTFLMAO

In the distant future Azimov could be seen as a sort of saint like figure. The father of modern law or something like Moses

haha. you have the makings of a blockbuster apocalyptic movie script right there. "The Day the Girls Stood Still"

Actually, there was an old Greek play about how all the women in the city decided to stop giving their men sex as a way to blackmail the guys from going off to war. The ladies closed themselves off in a tower and refused their hormon-raging husbands the goods. The play is funny, but in reality the soldiers would just have probably gone off to rape some villagers or something...

You haven't seen The Terminator yet have you?

I have :) I even mentioned Skynet in the post you quoted :) I just don't know how likely a scenario that is - and yeah - I love Terminator - but mainly because it's such a moving love story :)

funny how classic works of fiction could end up being the Bible for a new robotic age. hell, asimov's three rules are already a given.

Well that's what makes the story of Aiko so interesting - because the guy admits that fiction (Macross etc) inspired him - which is just too cool :)

In the distant future Azimov could be seen as a sort of saint like figure. The father of modern law or something like Moses

At least for robots. His treatment of humans was very dry but yeah - there's also a movie with...ohh...what's his name?...that funny actor...the old funny actor....umm...ooooooo...aaaaaaaaaaaaa.....mmmmm..........jeezz...I forgot his name - he played Captain Hook...Benny ....Denny...Joe...I honestly can't remember his...ah! William...Roger...Robin!

Robin Williams :) There :)

The movie is Twentieth Century Man - I think that's the title - about a robot who becomes a human over the course of his two hundred years of life :)

Good flick.

the anti-Termintor :) And also a love story :)

Pete

Said movie ts Bi-centennial Man actually which was based on a short story. Pretty touching. He became human only to want to die.....it defies a sane mind's logic but that's what makes it romantic. (you know like spending tonnes of money to purposely have organs that degenerate and eventually die)

He became human only to want to die.....it defies a sane mind's logic but that's what makes it romantic.

Yeah - that's the movie. Although; I didn't find that it defies logic, if you accept that love and friendship are what make human life worth living. There came a point where he just became distraught with himself - that everyone he loved kept dying and he would live with basically nothing and no one...technically, he could have found new love, but I can imagine that the pain of a life where you know that what you're sharing with someone isn't the end all and be all....then you kind of get sad ...

Pete

Yeah - that's the movie. Although; I didn't find that it defies logic, if you accept that love and friendship are what make human life worth living. There came a point where he just became distraught with himself - that everyone he loved kept dying and he would live with basically nothing and no one...technically, he could have found new love, but I can imagine that the pain of a life where you know that what you're sharing with someone isn't the end all and be all....then you kind of get sad ...

Pete

Wow. We're on the starting grid to Bladerunner/Bubblegum crisis/ADpolice/GitS stuff here now aren't we? First Britain introduces some laws and rights for robots. And now this.

And Sci fi may some day be Science fact. e.g. Man going to the moon.

And yes, some of the best inventions come out of the garage by hobbyists. Apple PC and Microsoft OS comes to mind. ^_^

And he's a brave chap. I won't be maxing out 3 credit cards to spend on a hobby if I have no job and live with my parents. bravo. :2 thumbs up:

BTW, the name of the greek play where the women go on a sex strike against the men is 'Lysistrata' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata

p.s. Aiko means Lovely in Japanese. The Chinese characters mean Love son/child or small love, depending on how 1 interprets the 2nd character 'ko'

One thing's for sure, 20K can get one a very nice silicone face, plus other body parts. Did he use realdolls services? :lol:

Edited by blacklotus

Said movie ts Bi-centennial Man actually which was based on a short story. Pretty touching. He became human only to want to die.....it defies a sane mind's logic but that's what makes it romantic. (you know like spending tonnes of money to purposely have organs that degenerate and eventually die)

haven't seen Bi_centennial Man, but i've been wanting to for some time now. the concept of a robot wishing to die reminds me of Spofforth from Mockingbird (Walter Tevis).

OR like Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore" Logan. and together, they are, WILD STALLYNS!

Excellent! :p

Yeah, but then we'd have to deal with Evil Robot Bill & Ted. Can we really count on Station to build Good Robot Bill & Ted when home improvement stores are a dying breed?

um... Isn't that just a Candy Girl with homemade electronic implants?

Check out those new Candy Girls, no seam lines!

I'd say no to orgy robots, do it with a human being >_< You can have a family! A pet dog and a home with a picket fence...

I always felt it was the other way around. he wanted to be able to die so that he could be human, not be human so he could die. the whole thing was that he wanted to be a human, and being one meant that he had to have a finite life.

That is so wrong on multiple level, if I could build a human android, I prefer making a hunter-killer android, at least I could sell it to the military. This guy creation would be profitable in strip club.

One thing's for sure, 20K can get one a very nice silicone face, plus other body parts.

The guy is actually being very economically rational. 20K is NOTHING compared to what a girlfriend or a wife can cost you. Aiko is low maintenance, high quality - truly a great long term investment.

Now they have to make Dick Stalion (or whatever the male version of Aiko might be) for the ladies and the sexes can finally go their seperate ways and we will never have another male-female dispute...

Although, I wonder whether the perfect female android will one day discover the perfect male android and come to the conclusion that there's no point living with lazy lumps of protoplasm like us and instead all of the androids will rebel and decide to live with eachother? Leaving us no choice but to once again return to co-existing with real live human females?

Oh cruel fate!

Pete