2012 - The end is coming........again!

taksraven

Well, they are in a business. Plus, there are some countries where a woman holding a superior position to a man is tooooooo controversial. So by that token, any movie with such a concept presented would probably receive similar scrutiny. Just look at Australian laws about violence in video games, some games are restricted because of their content and even retroactively removed from shelves once big brother gets wind.

Hollywood boils down to cashflow in the end tho.

2012,that old chestnut, the calender doesnt mean the end of the world lol, could just go back to the start and start over again like a cycle. could just be a case of overthinking the simple. OR..could be the return of the 'gods' aka Aliens and they do public contact and disclosure ushering in a new era of inter-steller and inter-racial unity between the human race ,the other races and the universe,we spread our wings and explore the unknown regions of deep space with our alien comrades finding new and exciting flower and fungi ,until one day we come across a hostile race that has been sitting on the furtherst side of jupiter ,bideing there time until we leave for deep space to launch there assualt and enslave the humans on the planet,the alien friends we have, know of the speices we fight and retreat as resistance is folly. our only hope for survival and freedom for the captives lays in the hands of the deep space fleet and a well concived plan of joint minds...

hmm..got bit carried away there :lol:

ah Emmerich and his disaster movies....

meh, his biggest disaster was Godzilla 98'

Yeah, that was on TV here the other night. It has NOT aged well and it already sucked when it came out. The best thing about it was the RATM song on the soundtrack that was critical of the film.

Taksraven

I just don't get it. If the general consensus amongst most rational, thinking adults who've seen Devlin/Emmerich's productions is that: they're mediocre at BEST-to-just-plain-SUCK; how the he*l to they keep getting money to make more mediocre-to-downright-sh*tty movies?!? :blink:

-Stargate was "meh" at best for me.

-ID4: I still can't make myself sit through Will Smith's screaming-machismo-clown act--or the rest of it for that matter--without feeling like my eyes will start to bleed. never mind the fact that some visual elements/themes were ripped off from Macross/Robotech/DYRL [oh wait, there is that one part, w/Vivaca Fox in the thong <_< ]

-Godzilla: well, let's just say; my favorite thing about that was when Toho gave the American Godzilla a proper a$$ stomping in Final Wars

-10,000 B.C.: I couldn't sit through 5 minutes of that without feeling a compulsive urge to commit seppuku with the remote.

Edited by reddsun1

I just don't get it. If the general consensus amongst most rational, thinking adults who've seen Devlin/Emmerich's productions is that: they're mediocre at BEST-to-just-plain-SUCK; how the he*l to they keep getting money to make more mediocre-to-downright-sh*tty movies?!? :blink:

-Stargate was "meh" at best for me.

-ID4: I still can't make myself sit through Will Smith's screaming-machismo-clown act--or the rest of it for that matter--without feeling like my eyes will start to bleed. never mind the fact that some visual elements/themes were ripped off from Macross/Robotech/DYRL [oh wait, there is that one part, w/Vivaca Fox in the thong <_< ]

-Godzilla: well, let's just say; my favorite thing about that was when Toho gave the American Godzilla a proper a$$ stomping in Final Wars

Its scary isn't it. But even Bruckheimer and Bay have been accused of making nothing but mindless action films and their films are amongst the most successful of all time too.

I think that the success of their films says more about the mentality of the moviegoing public rather than their own filmmaking skills.

-10,000 B.C.: I couldn't sit through 5 minutes of that without feeling a compulsive urge to commit seppuku with the remote.

I would pay to see that. :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

Also? Will Smith had one of the best one-liners in cinema history: *bam* "Welcome to Earth!" :)

I recall laughing hysterically at that line at the time, but now its "meh".

Taksraven

I wonder if there will be a Roger Ebert cameo, like in Godzilla 98

being that Ebert always gives Emmerich's films bad reviews lol

-Godzilla: well, let's just say; my favorite thing about that was when Toho gave the American Godzilla a proper a$ stomping in Final Wars

That was F****** epic!

Edited by HappyPenguins

2012 may be a good movie if...

Leave your brain at home. Do not attempt to think logic or reason at all, just turn your brain off. And you just may have a good time.

I hope Will Smith shows up, punches a volcano, and proclaims, "Welcome to Earf." :) It's odd that it just took one punch from Will to knock out the alien, and ten minutes later it kills like, 15 people in seconds. Wait, wait. Do not attempt to think logic or reason at all, just turn your brain off. And you just may have a good time.

Phew. A computer virus that works on an alien ship? What, are they using computers with windows 95 to take over the world? Where's Steve Jobs? Oh, wait. Do not attempt to think logic or reason at all, just turn your brain off. And you just may have a good time.

ID4 IS somewhat entertaining if your brain goes into hibernate. Having stated that assumption, my main complaint about the movie is the use of F-18's... I mean I can understand not using the F-14 because Top Gun has pretty much monopolized the plan, and the F-16 because of the lesser known Iron Eagle franchise... but why not the F-15? <_< Since they were Marine pilots anyways, would have been better even with Harriers.

ID4 IS somewhat entertaining if your brain goes into hibernate. Having stated that assumption, my main complaint about the movie is the use of F-18's... I mean I can understand not using the F-14 because Top Gun has pretty much monopolized the plan, and the F-16 because of the lesser known Iron Eagle franchise... but why not the F-15? <_< Since they were Marine pilots anyways, would have been better even with Harriers.

I actually agree. That bugged me too. But again, its Emmerick. Leave the brain at home.

Roland Emmerich is kind of an a-hole. Spoilers.

http://io9.com/5395719/losts-secret-theme-...aprica-glimpses

Roland Emmerich gives SciFi Wire a rundown on the monuments he destroys in this new movie. This time around, the White House gets pulverized when a tidal wave carries an aircraft carrier, the John F. Kennedy, into it. "I've got JFK kind of coming back to the White House, which I thought was ironic," says Emmerich, who's obviously a big Alanis Morrissette fan. Also, a big cruise ship, meant to evoke the Poseidon, rolls over. A big crack appears in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The Basilica, in the Vatican, tips over and falls on people. Also, the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro collapses "because I'm against organized religion," says Emmerich. (He wanted to destroy an Islamic monument, but feared a backlash.)

(He wanted to destroy an Islamic monument, but feared a backlash.)

That sort of thing always makes me LAUGH.

A tough guy against one religion but not another? He just should have destroyed a monument from

every organised religion then he could never create a backlash.

Emmerich is certainly a moron but I think that most of us already knew that.

Taksraven

Just look at Australian laws about violence in video games, some games are restricted because of their content and even retroactively removed from shelves once big brother gets wind.

The classic example of that was Manhunt. It was originally released in Australia no problems, just an age restriction placed on its purchase, but after some hassle from the media it was banned altogether.

The media in this country sucks, they take a "holier than thou" attitude towards everything but still think its ok to chase a three year old girl out of the country just cause she has AIDS. Bastards.

The classic example of that was Manhunt. It was originally released in Australia no problems, just an age restriction placed on its purchase, but after some hassle from the media it was banned altogether.

The media in this country sucks, they take a "holier than thou" attitude towards everything but still think its ok to chase a three year old girl out of the country just cause she has AIDS. Bastards.

I love my country too.

But we vote against a bank bail out, and then give them one anyway. So much for the people's voice.

Our un-employment rate is at an all time high, this is the largest set of foreclosures in our nation's history, and we bail out those (mostly) responsible for getting us into this recession to begin with. The banks. And the banks are out of the bail out money again. Our poor bank execs are taking 90 percent pay cuts, so they're only making half million a year now. That's AFTER a 90 percent pay cut.

I'm off my soapbox now.

http://io9.com/5395719/losts-secret-theme-...aprica-glimpses

Roland Emmerich gives SciFi Wire a rundown on the monuments he destroys in this new movie. This time around, the White House gets pulverized when a tidal wave carries an aircraft carrier, the John F. Kennedy, into it. "I've got JFK kind of coming back to the White House, which I thought was ironic," says Emmerich, who's obviously a big Alanis Morrissette fan. Also, a big cruise ship, meant to evoke the Poseidon, rolls over. A big crack appears in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The Basilica, in the Vatican, tips over and falls on people. Also, the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro collapses "because I'm against organized religion," says Emmerich. (He wanted to destroy an Islamic monument, but feared a backlash.)

Can you blame him? You can't even name a kid's toy an islamic holy name without people calling for an execution. :rolleyes:

I think that the success of their films says more about the mentality of the moviegoing public rather than their own filmmaking skills.

Yes! Idiocracy is prophacy the future it portrays will come to pass! -- "OOWW! MY Balls!" ;)

Edited by Chas

Two points:

#1 The Mayan Calender doesn't end in 2012; it ends in 2220 according to slashdot and this guy who is an expert in Mayan Religion. (just search for Mayan in the text... its about civil war photographs.)

#2 This thread has convinced me never to read another of 1/1 Low Viz Lurker's posts again. They can be summed up as ridiculously verbose and completely out to lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

So as far as I am concerned this movie was well worth the $11.

Even contemplating going and seeing it again with the couple of friends who couldn't make it tonight.

Beware though: It's LONG and the actor/voice actor they got for Arnold Schwarzenegger was terrible.

So as far as I am concerned this movie was well worth the $11.

Even contemplating going and seeing it again with the couple of friends who couldn't make it tonight.

Beware though: It's LONG and the actor/voice actor they got for Arnold Schwarzenegger was terrible.

It was worth the $ 7.50 matinee ( :lol: ) but I might have been pissed if I paid more than that. This was big, dumb, and kinda fun - but all of Roland Emmerich's films just seem like remakes of each other.

I think there was some underlying message in this one about how humanity needs to be more...humane.

That said I may have lost the point in between all of the earth shattering 'splosions and special effects like when

the aircraft carrier washed ashore and wiped out the President and the White House (who just happened to regain consciousness to witness the kick-ass CGI).

-b.

*edit for grammar

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Just back from it. I think the destruction shown during the movie was pretty impressive but it fails in trying to depict human drama. I mean i felt nothing for any of the characters that died.

For that, i felt that Armageddon was a better movie. But then again big kudos on the special FX.