The Best and Worst of 2008....

taksraven

Hmm...

Worst Anime character Alto :D

I don't think that the Alto hatred will ever end.

Does he deserve his own award category of "Most Hated Character since Jar Jar Binks"?

HEY, Shawn or Graham or anybody else who is running this site who may be listening, I have a great marketing idea, lets make cheap little Alto voodoo dolls and sell them with little prepackaged sets of pins. I predict GREAT popularity amongst some here.

Taksraven

Been watching the old TV Monkey series though.

Do you bother to watch the second season. And what about the homoerotica between Monkey and Tripitaka in a few scenes? (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :lol::lol:

Taksraven

If I'm able to pick up a portable media player, then I'd be able to watch more than just Macross Frontier. I'm behind in technology at home, so having an a video player I can cart around and watch shows when killing time in lines or the store would allow me to watch anime again.

What have you guys got against Alto?

Personally, I thought he was a fine character.

Not constantly whinning or being angsty, like many of the Gundam brat pilots, e.g. the Amuro, Camile, the one in Stardust Memory who's name escapes me for now, etc.

He was willing to fight to protect what he believed in and didn't constantly spout pacifist slogans.

Graham

What have you guys got against Alto?

Personally, I thought he was a fine character.

Not constantly whinning or being angsty, like many of the Gundam brat pilots, e.g. the Amuro, Camile, the one in Stardust Memory who's name escapes me for now, etc.

He was willing to fight to protect what he believed in and didn't constantly spout pacifist slogans.

Graham

I thought Alto was a fine and very likeable character. Much more so than Shin in Zero and far far above Basara in Seven.

Amuro and Camille are 2 of the best characters ever created (IMHO). Some of the later Gundam series characters are nowhere near as developed or likeable. Perhaps the worst being the cast of characters from the current 00. It's a bad sign when you're wishing hateful death on the lead character (Setsuna Seirei).

Best anime of the year - Gurren Lagann. MacrossF, Hyakko, & Allison&Lillia all tied for 2nd. (my tastes are varied)

Worst anime of the year - Sekirei (unoriginal moe crap)

Ya I actually liked Alto...initially I thought "here we go, typical angsty teen pilot" More tolerable than Basara ever was...

anyway some best/worst picks.

Best anime series Macross Frontier lol. No its not the best anime TV series ever but its the only one I watched all the way through this year. Most anime TV series bore me nowaydays. Although Gurren Lagann is pretty good. Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Gaiden Ten No Haoh is ok so far..

Best cartoon Family Guy. Its not as funny as it used to be but it is still more entertaining than the Simpsons.

Best movie The Dark Knight. Blown away. I had to see it twice. Iron Man a close second. I was surprised how good it was.

Best album Gojira: The Way of All Flesh. Just brutal metal here.

Best videogame Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Rough off road racing. Drink beer and pick up & play type of game.

Best TV Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles. Overall I like it alot. Good cast of characters. Interesting story but the pace could pick up a little though.

Worst anime series Saw some of Code Geass Le Douche...f'n terrible. Typical nancy boy BS anime.

Worst cartoon Spaceballs. Ugh god my eyes..who thought there was demand for this? It's on G4 if you don't like yourself..

Worst movie Cloverfield.. Godzilla meets Blair Witch Project...yawn.

Worst Album Dunno. Anything mainstream? Country western? Hip Hop?

Worst videogame Whats the criteria? A game that is supposed to be a blockbuster that sucks. Or just a downright bad game? I'd have to go with Devil May Cry 4. It doesn't suck but it is disappointing. As usual JP devs/publishers don't try anything new. Graphics aside, this game could have been released on the PS2.

Worst TV Anything on the CW or MyNetwork TV

Edited by bandit29

Do you bother to watch the second season. And what about the homoerotica between Monkey and Tripitaka in a few scenes? (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :lol::lol:

Taksraven

nope, haven't gone that far. :lol: I'm ignorant to the fact tribitaka is supposed to be a guy, as the actor is clearly a chick, so i'll just ignore any weird stuff. lol.

I'd like to add in that the Robot Chicken series is the best by far for entertainment value.

Monkey gets and honourable mention, class above.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I should have included the category of "Dumbest Idea that you heard in 2008", cause this one would have won it.

Sigorney Weaver is considering the possibility of playing Ellen Ripley again on the big screen, possibly with Ridley Scott directing, but she is concerned that the "aliens" have had too much exposure lately due to AVP, etc, so maybe they would NOT be included in a future film with her Ripley character.

FFS!

Taksraven

if you read the whole interview it's actually an interesting idea. Ripley is a kind of methuselah and lazarus all rolled into one. The idea would be to explore those aspects and I think ripley is an interesting enough character to explore on her own without her having to run away from aliens.

if you read the whole interview it's actually an interesting idea. Ripley is a kind of methuselah and lazarus all rolled into one. The idea would be to explore those aspects and I think ripley is an interesting enough character to explore on her own without her having to run away from aliens.

Alien 5: Ripleys.....

I heard plenty of dumb ideas in 2008, mostly from Hollywood who are trying to make movie based on games/anime and remakes.

Best anime : Macross Frontier lol ?

Worst anime : dunno... i dont watch anything else actually ( prefer asian cinema :p )

Best anime film : dunno... can i pick some classics? :D saw new Eva... not bad, though im not NGE fan :S

Worst anime film : no damn idea :D

Best Non-Anime TV series : -

Worst Non-Anime TV series : –

Best Non-Anime Film : havent seen any movies marked as 2008 :D

Best game : not this year game... but for me its the best ever... Lumines :D

Best anime series - Gundam 00. Awesdome mechs, great action and an intriguing story set in an awesome universe. Loved it!

Best cartoon - Transformers Animated. Wasn't sure on the style till I saw the show itself, and was immediately sold. Plus some genuinely funny moments in there!

Best movie - Iron Man. Dark Knight may have been more hardcore, but Iron Man was WAY more fun!

Best album - Matchbox 20 - Exile on Mainstream. So glad to have em back!

Best videogame - I LOVED Rainbow 6: Vegas 2, but it's hard to get past the awesome of Fallout 3.

Best TV - This one is REALLY hard for me, but I'm gonna say True Blood. Sexy and badass at the sametime!

Best Toy series - Necas TMNT series was spot on perfect. Honorable mention to DC Universe Classics for style and lineup.

Best Japanese toy Series - Bandai's Saint Seiya line. Despite being a bit slow getting stuff out, all the figures this year were great toys. My favorite is a toss up between God Cloth Seiya and Poseidon.

Best single toy - Hasbros Big Millenium Falcon. Awesome on just so many levels. It's goign to be hard to top this has the playset to beat for toys now.

Best Individual toy

if it doesn't have aliens in it, it's not aliens though! I would like to see scott (or Cameron for that matter) come back and do a proper alien sequal. it's never going to be as good as the first two, but they could at least end the series on a good note, rather than the crapfests that were alien 3 and 4. <_<

(I'm still bitter and angry about those two movies, and how much they ruined the franchise)

if it doesn't have aliens in it, it's not aliens though! I would like to see scott (or Cameron for that matter) come back and do a proper alien sequal. it's never going to be as good as the first two, but they could at least end the series on a good note, rather than the crapfests that were alien 3 and 4. <_<

(I'm still bitter and angry about those two movies, and how much they ruined the franchise)

yeah, they couldn't call it an "alien" movie.. but isn't ripley herself an alien now? Anyways, I was just saying I find the character interesting and I wouldn't mind a movie just about her... that it's not necessarily a bad idea.

And I agree... a proper send off to the series would be nice. maybe it could start with ripley coming out of cryo and realizing everything after she killed the queen and saved newt was a horrible horrible dream... ^_^

BEST Toy - 1/60 YF-21 (without a doubt)

BEST Toy series - TMNT Necas, i totally agree with Scream man on this one, both of us owning the complete set.

Best Album - Metallica - DEATH MAGNETIC (I can't get enough of this cd, it's perfect, every song is worthwhile, can't wait for the next.

Best DVD release..... :p Blades of Glory! .. sorry guys i absolutely love this flick. :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

And I agree... a proper send off to the series would be nice. maybe it could start with ripley coming out of cryo and realizing everything after she killed the queen and saved newt was a horrible horrible dream... ^_^

Not likely, but the series did go really screwy after the second film. I don't blame anybody in particular for that (apart from Sigorney insisting that there be no guns in the third film), the real problem with this series is that it has never been really driven by a single creator with a vision. With each film being turned over to a different director and creative crew the franchise has never been really consistent.

Funnily enough the same goes for Predator too.

For a new film in the alien franchise they need to have some sort of mission. Maybe Ripley moving to either wipe out the aliens once and for all or maybe creating peace between humans and the creatures. It would be nice to see the series get a proper finale. (Alien 3 tried and failed badly.)

Taksraven

Best Anime TV Series: Gundam 00 season 2. Being less biased and more objective than the MW crowd, I think that 00 did very well this year and the show is better directed with better production values than Frontier had. Online polls for the annual anime awards seem to agree too.

Honorable mentions: Macross Frontier, for bringing in a whole new generation of fans. Its problems with art and animation as well as direction forbids it from being the best of 2008, despite how much I wanted it to be. Reading the interviews with SK and Frontier's director, it was evident they faced alot of problems during production. Hopefully more Macross series will be released after Frontier.

Xam'd of the Lost Memories: Another great endeavour by BONES. I like it so far but am still pretty clueless on what is going on around the world of Xam'd. Doesn't get best anime tv series because we've only seen 17 out of 52 episodes...can't really make a decision based on that little episodes.

Worst Anime TV Series: There are alot of bad shows this year since they were coming up with alot of generic harem highschool love comedies that failed to distinguish themselves from the competition. Then of course there's Linebarrels which I have not watched since episode 2.

Best Anime OVA: Mnemosyne. Very dark. I love it.

Worst Anime OVA: I'm selective of the OVA i watch since it takes forever to come out with an episode....so no worst OVA.

Best Anime Movie: Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone. Excellent movie!

Worst Anime Movie: I wanted to watch Appleseed Deus Ex Machina but from the reviews, ppl seem to think its trash thus delaying me from catching it. I still haven't watch it but if i did, it would probably be Appleseed

Best Live Action TV Series: Live action? What's that? Don't watch nothing but anime. :lol:

Worst Live Action TV Series: Same as above.

Best Non-Japanese Cartoon Series: Transformers - The Animated Series.

Worst Non-Japanese Cartoon Series: Spongebob Squarepants...i don't watch much non-japanese cartoon series.

Best Non-Japanese Animated Movie: Bolt

Best Live Action Movie: The Dark Knight.

Worst Live Action Movie: Didn't watch many this year, so no comment.

Best Album: Macross Frontier Nyan Tora.

Worst Album: uhh..dunno.

Best Game: Dead Space. I really wanted to give it to Fallout 3 but unfortunately the ending sucked and the game progression is screwy.

Worst Game: Red Alert 3

New Category: Most Insane News Story of 2008 (no politics please, we're British)

This one would easily win.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/specials/unusua...9189675703.html

Pure insanity.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

New Category: Most Insane News Story of 2008 (no politics please, we're British)

This one would easily win.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/specials/unusua...9189675703.html

Pure insanity.

Taksraven

"He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

my nominations:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_...ggbeater_threat

and

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_...ter_molestation

"He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

my nominations:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_...ggbeater_threat

and

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_...ter_molestation

The second story is interesting and quite sad but does not belong in the insane category.

Taksraven

Srsly....his daughter is JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name."

Yeah sure. :rolleyes: Though i agree a name is just a name, the guy should really think about his son's future and the stares and "difficulties" he will encounter as he is growing up. The naming of a child can have a real psychological impact on the child and will affect his/her childhood. He's going to question why is his dad suck a d*** and gave him this name.

And as for the eggbeater....maybe its a possesed evil eggbeater.....that influenced some local tugs to save it from its egg beating torment. The horrrorrrrr.

Edited by wolfx

Srsly....his daughter is JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name."

Yeah sure. :rolleyes: Though i agree a name is just a name, the guy should really think about his son's future and the stares and "difficulties" he will encounter as he is growing up. The naming of a child can have a real psychological impact on the child and will affect his/her childhood. He's going to question why is his dad suck a d*** and gave him this name.

HOPEFULLY he's going to question why his dad is such a dick and not think to himself how awesome his dad was for being a warrior in their cause.

• 2 weeks later...
Ahh come on it wasn't that bad. :p Yamato YF-21 1/60 dood!!!

2009 is going to kick 08's arse though, you know why.

because of the 2012 movie. That movie will be so coooOOOoool! I can't wait to see another giant tidal wave destroy more stuff.

Ahh come on it wasn't that bad. :p Yamato YF-21 1/60 dood!!! Iron Man! Dark Knight!

2009 is going to kick 08's arse though, you know why.

I guess that I was talking about it being a bad year on more of a personal level. Entertainment-wise it was fantastic I will admit.

Taksraven

Best Anime Series – Although an avid fan of both Macross Frontier and Gundam 00, this award goes to Xam'd: Lost Memories.

runner(s) up: Soul Eater, Macross Frontier, Gundam 00, and Time of Eve.

Worst Anime Series – Code Geass. There is simply no debating it, the series had a trivial plot that revolved around constant cliffhangers and twist that are only reserved for the worst daytime soap opera's. That combined with the horrible character design, stupid mechs, and general over use of bright flashing lights, leads this to be 2008's best abomination.

runner(s) up: Line barrels of Iron

Best Anime Film – No idea, missed most anime films

Worst Anime Film – again no Idea

Best Non-Anime TV series – Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, a billion times chuck.

runner(s) up: The Big Bang Theory

Worst Non-Anime TV series – Heroes. Only because it takes alot of nerve to produce a decent first season, follow it up with a lackluster second season, then kill the only good character to come from the second season in less than two episodes (He was man-succubus-ed). Of course the Icing on the cake would have to be calling your fans retards, and telling them that they have no eye for creativity.

runner(s) up: 24, The Bionic Woman

Best Non-Anime Film – Comic Book Movies. Its easy to tell really which comic book movie really won out *cough darknight cough* However this year was a fantastic year for comic book movies in general. Ironman, The Incredible Hulk, and Dark knight's collective success has proven that the real winner here is the Comic Book Genre, which plans to have even more great movies out this year.

runner(s) up: In a way far second, would be stoner movies, which go hand in hand with the phase "Brought to you be the creaters of SUPERBAD"

Worst Non-Anime Film – CloverField. The only movie that I have ever walked out on, and I even sat through Sky Commander. But probably this films worst real fault is not with the film but with the constant justifications of the film by the fans. "Oh its a work of art you dont understand", "Well do you want everything spelled out for you?", "it chronicles what real people would do in that situation." Yea lick the dirt between my dirty hillbilly toes, the movie was horrible and no matter how much you spit shine a turd, your still going to look retarded because your spitting on and playing with poop.

runner(s) up: Does the 24 movie count?

Best Album – Best album I bought this year was "Earth, Wind, and Fire" at a Goodwill for 25 cents

runner(s) up: The Willy Nelson Album located next to it.

Worst Album – Chinese Democracy. Take the Worst part of music in the past 20 years, add in some new people, new sounds, a whole lot of suck, then add a pinch of delayed release (15 years?), and you have the best thing to happen to music since Hawthorn Heights inspired teenage boy to put on their little sisters pants. The best part of it is that the chinese where offended at the title, and I think after listening to it, we all where offended.

runner(s) up: The Willy Nelson Album (with the addition of peanut butter, thanks nephew) located next to my "Earth, Wind, and Fire" album.

Best Game – World of Warcraft: Wrath of the lich King. Besides reveling the emerging field of internet addiction, the good folks at blizzard have managed to once again brow beat us like Harry Truman, into buying another expansion.

runner(s) up: Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3

Worst Game – Age of Conan. It just sucked

runner(s) up: Red Alert 3, Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

Honourable Mentions – Transformers, I am Legend, Diary of the Dead, Dexter, Gary Gynax, of course Star Wars the Clone Wars, and House.

Dishonourable Mention – Transmorphers, I am Omega, Cloverfield (god I hate you JJ), Battlestar Galatica, and most people who decide its a good thing to simply remake other movies (I am looking at you Nick Cannon and your Day of the Dead movie).