Punisher: Warzone

chukissaki

While I take even my most trusted review sources with a grain of salt when deciding to watch any film, I must say I am taken aback by the near universal dislike for this latest Punisher film.

Being a long time Punisher fan from way back in the Mike Zeck and Jim Lee days of Punisher limited series/Punisher Return to Big Nothing/Punisher War Journal, I've been waiting for a good Punisher film for some time. Neither the awful Lundgren flick nor the boring Tom Jane movies did the franchise any good and from the sounds of it, this newest one might be even worse. I hope I hear at least something good about War Zone soon. So far this latest Punisher outing is receiving some of the worst reviews of the year :(

While I take even my most trusted review sources with a grain of salt when deciding to watch any film, I must say I am taken aback by the near universal dislike for this latest Punisher film.

Being a long time Punisher fan from way back in the Mike Zeck and Jim Lee days of Punisher limited series/Punisher Return to Big Nothing/Punisher War Journal, I've been waiting for a good Punisher film for some time. Neither the awful Lundgren flick nor the boring Tom Jane movies did the franchise any good and from the sounds of it, this newest one might be even worse. I hope I hear at least something good about War Zone soon. So far this latest Punisher outing is receiving some of the worst reviews of the year :(

Honestly, the trailers made it look like "straight to DVD" crap. <_<

Vostok 7

Dolph is great for the comedy factor. The Jane movie.... looks awesome in the trailers but really sucked in context. The trailer still holds up well, though. That looks like a blame the screenplay/writers thing. New one has the guy from Rome who played Pullo. I might get the Blu-ray when it comes out but odds are this is a stinker.

I liked the Tom Jane movie for what it was. Not having read any of the comics probably added to that. When it comes to comic movies I'm probably the target audience since I know next to nothing about the source material. If it's faithful, I wouldn't know. This film faithful or not, was alright. NOt a great flick but a nice time waster. I dug the music too.

I'm also curious to know how good this new one is.

I barely remember the Lundgren movie.

So I can only comment on the Tom Jane one. The 70's class special effects speaks volumes about how low the budget must've been. And IMHO, the Punisher himself didn't have much style, was a terrible shot, and just stumbled into danger with no evident strategy. In other words, he was a mess. Maybe that was deliberate?

Edited by RD Blade

I saw it, and found it quite entertaining. Probably one of the most violent movies ever, sometimes way over the top. It's also campy, horribly acted, and ridiculous at times. Everyones probably gonna hate it, but I like it. Ray Stevenson plays a good punisher, and that's coming from a Thomas Jane fan...

New one has the guy from Rome who played Pullo.

That's Titus f*cking Pullo, you c*nts! :lol:

Anyway, I was going to check it out on the weekend, but got sidetracked by a wicked sinus cold. I'm still itching to see this, though. The script may be garbage but it's in the running for most violentest movie evar. Literally. He's apparently the equivalent of Jason Vorhees with automatic weapons in this movie, which is all kinds of awesome.

Okay a few things. First off this was a straight to DVD film and someone said it may be better to release in theaters. If you go back and look at the press releases you will see that so that's why it has that feel. Second from what i have heard this film is actually very violent, like Ennis violent tho the story is weak. I may see it but i am still not sure. I still haven't seen bond, and i heard Australia was worth looking at too so i may check those out first before the Punisher.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Punisher film had all the pop culture penetration of a good bingo night and was farther off the radar than James Cameron's last deep sea documentary.

Given the reviews for Punisher War Zone, I'm not surprised it's no where to be found. "Against the agreement of both the critics AND the internet fanboys, there can be no victory" :)

It was no Delgo (made only $511,920 opening weekend with an average per screen of only $237) but it performed pretty poorly and in the crowded holiday movie season, it faded pretty quickly and quietly.

Just checked Box Office Mojo:

Punisher War Zone

Production Budget: $35,000,000

World Wide Gross: $8,816,788

Poor Castle. You deserve better than what Hollywood has given you :(

Just checked Box Office Mojo:

Punisher War Zone

Production Budget: $35,000,000

World Wide Gross: $8,816,788

Poor Castle. You deserve better than what Hollywood has given you :(

Well, jane walked off the production saying he didn't have any faith in it.... that's saying a lot.

Marvel might be in the credits for production, however Marvel themselves sold the rights to the Punisher movie to Artisan way back when they began to get into films. Artisan made the 2004 Punisher movie, and was then bought out by Lionsgate which released the film against Kill Bill 2. They also were the main force behind Warzone. In both films Marvel was not in control of the films as they were for the Iron Man movie. If we ever want to see a good Punisher movie, Marvel needs to have creative control of it, and have a script written by Garth Ennis; as he is the definitive writer for Frank Castle.

I was planning on seeing this around Christmas and even my dad expressed interest in seeing this, but it disappeared so quickly I never had the chance to go see it.

Really wish a definitive, first class Punisher movie could be made. Guess this one was strike three. :(