The Disgruntled Anime Fan: The Robotech Macross Mystery

Einherjar

As much as Jung is proto-Asuka, Electra is proto-Ritsuko, with the Nadia & Nemo relationship also sharing much in common with Shinji & Gendo. Hell, the situation with the Blue Water & Nadia's mother also heavily mirrors that of Eva-01 & Shinji's mother. Fuyutski is like a negative (or positive if you will) version of Gargoyle, with Neo Atlantis & their goals being not to different from Seele. Nerv, including its fate, mirrors much of what happened to the Nautilus, and I suppose Misato would most closely resemble Grandis.

Much of what made Eva great was built up from Nadia, perhaps it was Anno trying to save what would have been his masterwork in the only way he could, by taking the base framework & re-using it in something that was more under his control. Looking at Anno's other works (including the live action ones), we know he's perfectly capable of telling other stories, I think it was just that he wanted to take another stab at telling that one, and did so in the guise of making an entirely different show.

Which reminds me, I really do need to get around to watching Shikjitsu.

Despite being an aficionado of all things Steampunk and neo-victorian, I never watched Nadia I remember being un-enthused by the ADV trailer (but that's when I was just getting into steampunk), it looked like a silly kiddy show. Now I feel like I'm missing out, and should hasten to the video rental place.

Well since he states he wants to be Angry Video Game Nerd of Anime or something... it seems he's not trying to convey new information but have nerd rage to comic effect... briefly watched enough of the pokemon review just now to see that he fails. I mean we don't need AVGN to tell us that Superman 64 sucks, but he does it anyway... So this isn't about readily available information or not, I'm sure it didn't take this guy long to learn the shocking truth of Robotech DUN DUN DUN!!! But that he thinks he can be funny by bitching about it.

oh well, everyone needs a hobby.

I have a hard time comprehending why anybody would want to imitate all the "angry video game reviewers" on youtube. They're just a bunch of awkward dorks in their mom's basements who think cussing about an old video game is funny. The best is when they keep throwing up f-bombs like they think they're Pacino or something, but they just come across as forced and pathetic.

I have a hard time comprehending why anybody would want to imitate all the "angry video game reviewers" on youtube. They're just a bunch of awkward dorks in their mom's basements who think cussing about an old video game is funny. The best is when they keep throwing up f-bombs like they think they're Pacino or something, but they just come across as forced and pathetic.

Because James Rolfe (The AVGN) does not live in his parent's basement, makes a decent ammount of money of the gag (by hosting on sites with ads, selling DVDs of his show and paypal donations), and has thousands of fans, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon?

Because James Rolfe (The AVGN) does not live in his parent's basement, makes a decent ammount of money of the gag (by hosting on sites with ads, selling DVDs of his show and paypal donations), and has thousands of fans, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon?

Nope, that's not it.

Despite being an aficionado of all things Steampunk and neo-victorian, I never watched Nadia I remember being un-enthused by the ADV trailer (but that's when I was just getting into steampunk), it looked like a silly kiddy show. Now I feel like I'm missing out, and should hasten to the video rental place.

The ADV trailer had the same effect on me until I watched Gunbuster for the umpteenth time, realized what a huge Anno/Gainax fan I was, and proceeded to track down all the remaining shows I could find. Unfortunately, at that time Eva was out of print, so I decided to check out an HK set. After a few episodes, I tossed out that HK set, and went about tracking down the 2 collections ADV put out, a couple weeks and a bit too much cash later, I found both brand new with the soundtrack disc's included.

The musical cue's alone in Nadia will scream proto-Eva at you, it's such an awesome show. Considering ADV decided to re-release both sets at a reasonable prince, and removed the cancerous tumor that was the movie as an extra service, you owe it to yourself to snag the series. It's 85% pure gold, and 15% Island & Africa episodes that were tacked on by the network to increase the episode count. That resulted in Anno leaving Gainax (the first time), but thankfully the end of the series had already been fully set up, leaving epic win after you trudge through the late mid series muck.

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!! I feel so cheated! I mean! I have wet dreams about Lisa Hays and Rick is my all time hero and I cried when Ben died! I have a copy of Robotech Art 3 at my bedside and just finished reading how Lyn Kaifun was killed while trying to heroicly rescue Minmay from General Edwards! And now I find out it was ALL A LIE?!?!

This Marcos series sounds really different! But it also sounds so neato! Can you fellers tell me please - why, if Marcos is so cool, did they change so much of it when they made Robotech? And why, if Marcos spawned all of these other cerials like Marcos Zero, Marcos DLRY, Marcos 8 AND Marcos: The Final Frontier, did NONE of this come over to the USA!? I mean - this stuff is great!

Hey - wouldn't it be neato if it turned out that the Vaganas from Marcos: The Final Frontier were like the cousins of the Invid?!

Oh - and final question, while we're discussing Anime - can someone please tell me:

what does he transform into?

szk3nq.jpg

I heard that this turns into some kind of angel or something - anyways it looks really neat!

Oh - and ok - I admit that while it is shocking to learn that Marcos in Japan is so different and awesome and interesting, then you really have to admit that at least we got the best Marcos toys over here in America. I mean - nothing beats the Masterpiece Veritech series! Wooo! My Masterpiece Veritechs are so awesome! They got magnets and even the fingers can be posed!

So - maybe the Japense have made a better Marcos series than us, but we gots the bestest of the toyz :) biiizach! :p

Pete

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!! I feel so cheated! I mean! I have wet dreams about Lisa Hays and Rick is my all time hero and I cried when Ben died! I have a copy of Robotech Art 3 at my bedside and just finished reading how Lyn Kaifun was killed while trying to heroicly rescue Minmay from General Edwards! And now I find out it was ALL A LIE?!?!

This Marcos series sounds really different! But it also sounds so neato! Can you fellers tell me please - why, if Marcos is so cool, did they change so much of it when they made Robotech? And why, if Marcos spawned all of these other cerials like Marcos Zero, Marcos DLRY, Marcos 8 AND Marcos: The Final Frontier, did NONE of this come over to the USA!? I mean - this stuff is great!

Hey - wouldn't it be neato if it turned out that the Vaganas from Marcos: The Final Frontier were like the cousins of the Invid?!

Oh - and final question, while we're discussing Anime - can someone please tell me:

szk3nq.jpg

I heard that this turns into some kind of angel or something - anyways it looks really neat!

Oh - and ok - I admit that while it is shocking to learn that Marcos in Japan is so different and awesome and interesting, then you really have to admit that at least we got the best Marcos toys over here in America. I mean - nothing beats the Masterpiece Veritech series! Wooo! My Masterpiece Veritechs are so awesome! They got magnets and even the fingers can be posed!

So - maybe the Japense have made a better Marcos series than us, but we gots the bestest of the toyz :) biiizach! :p

Pete

Ha.

Taksraven

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!

szk3nq.jpg

Pete

*sings "Try Again" at VFTF1 until he regains his sanity* :p

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!

szk3nq.jpg

Pete

LOL!

--edited--

szk3nq.jpg

Pete

--calling orbital strike--

At first, I read your post and was like "Who's Jetfire?! I mean - there's Skyfire...but Jetfire? Huh?"

Then, I went on the lines of the inter-nets, and one of those tubes led me to some information which is ...well...quite shocking and unbelievable:

Apparently, there was a TRANSFORMERS COMIC BOOK (????) published by Marvel comics (the guys who did Spiderman) and it featured Jetfire! Now THAT is hard to believe - I mean - the Cartoon was the only thing going in the 80s!

It's as if everything we thought wasn't so... these Inter-nets and their tubes have such revolutionary potential - but what if it's all a hoax? How can we REALLY know?

Pete

LOL @ this thread. You guys crack me up. Wouldn't you guys be angry though? Finally discovering what Macross is; seeing all it has to offer and knowing why it'll never be released domestically in the States. :p

LOL @ this thread. You guys crack me up. Wouldn't you guys be angry though? Finally discovering what Macross is; seeing all it has to offer and knowing why it'll never be released domestically in the States.

EL OH EL! Ha :) Yeah - I sure would be angry!

But now that I'm getting more familiar with the inter-nets and their tubes, I realize that there's some pretty sophisticated humor out there :) This thread is case in point..

Uff...you guys reaaally had me going there for a while - but now I understand that this whole "Marcoss" thing is a joke :) And a pretty elaborate one at that!

The truth that Robotech was produced in America and then stolen by the Japanese is the truth, and it's true because Harmony Gold has the rights and you can't have rights unless they're yours.

It's too bad that Robotech has been bootlegged by the Japanese (and probably the Chinese) - but in this crazy wild globalized globe what can you expect?

There are plenty of knock-offs and bootlegs out there and thanks to the internets I'm now more aware as a consumer. I know for example that one Japanese company - Yamtoe - makes knock offs of the Masterpiece Robotech Veritechs - so it's not a surprise that if toys are bootlegged than even cartoon shows are then bootlegged.

What's next? Well - at least we'll always have the original Jack McKinney novels. I mean - I haven't heard of any bootlegged translations of those - and besides - the real Robotech fans know that it was the books that started everything - even before the cartoon show there were the Robotech books by world famous writer Jack McKinney.

Just don't believe those people who say it's a pen-name hiding multiple writers. Sheesh. Some people have nothing better to do with their lives than spreading such garbage.

What's next? An entire WEB FORUM dedicated to this bootlegged knock off Marcoss and it's sorry excuse for cartoons?

Some people...

Pete

LOL! :lol: You guys are damn funny. But I remember Doug Bendo, has he posted here on MW? I remember his idiotic ass from the RT forums, part of the reason I got kicked out of the site. Haha. :lol:

I have my suspicions, but after digging through the Internet I think he came back to the RT forums as longbow385 promoting his show and projects. He gave himself away with when he confronted Treiz a while back.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:h35Bx...lient=firefox-a

Edited by Einherjar

Mr. March wrote:

Seriously, every major anime and non-anime information website has spelled out the difference for years. AnimeNewsNetwork, Animenation's Ask John, AnimeonDVD (or whatever it is now), Wikipedia, "Macross" World, Robotech.com, etc. I mean, who is left of the people that actually care that doesn't know the difference by now?

Ok - so just to recap and sum up so I have this straight:

Battletech was first - I'm assuming it was a spin off from Battle Star Galactica? And then Harmony Gold bought the rights to Battletech and re-named it Robotech and made a cartoon about it? But then the Chinese factory that was making the toys for the Robotech Cartoon suddenly went to Japanese court to claim that they have copyrights for the toys and their lineness and called it Marcos - because that was the name of the guy who owned the factory?

I just wanna get this straight finally.

Pete

Mr. March wrote:

Ok - so just to recap and sum up so I have this straight:

Battletech was first - I'm assuming it was a spin off from Battle Star Galactica? And then Harmony Gold bought the rights to Battletech and re-named it Robotech and made a cartoon about it? But then the Chinese factory that was making the toys for the Robotech Cartoon suddenly went to Japanese court to claim that they have copyrights for the toys and their lineness and called it Marcos - because that was the name of the guy who owned the factory?

I just wanna get this straight finally.

Pete

Almost, it was a factory in the Philippines... I mean, come on, does "Marcos" sound like a chinese name to you? It's obviously a Filipino name.

Almost, it was a factory in the Philippines... I mean, come on, does "Marcos" sound like a chinese name to you? It's obviously a Filipino name.

Clearly you do not listen to Doug Bendo, famous half brother of Ben Dover and world famous Robotech fan podcasts!

If you had, you would understand that Marcos is the name GIVEN by Harmony Gold to the Chinese guy who put the Robotech toys together. Just like Harmony Gold generally westernized the names to match them up to the way they looked. As Ben Dover famously said, echoing the word of Doug Bendo "Kakizake does not look like Kakizake!"

http://ramblingnitwit.blogspot.com/2008/02...d-of-funny.html

In any event, the most shocking thing for me isn't that there are chinese people willing to bootleg Robotech into Marcos, and that there are all of these ignorant foreign people who watch Marcos the Final Frontier and don't realize that not only is it a Robotech ripoff, but that it's actually a Star Trek rip off as well (Hello! Final Frontier! Duh).

What truly is shocking is the legion of fans that has supposedly developed around Macross Frontier in other parts of the world where people should know better.

I mean - come on. The same time that Marcos the Final Frontier comes out, we got Shadow Chronicles! Now - let's be serious for a minute: it is so obvious which of these two is better. I mean, heck, in Shadow Chronicles we even get to hear a portion of We Can Win! towards the end.

Meanwhile, what does Final Frontier Marcos give us? EMO! EMO! DELTA RUSH HOUR!

I mean - puuullleeeezzzee! A song about Emo, called Emo, where the main lyric is EMO EMO!

Gimme a break! And people like this garbage?

Pete

I mean - puuullleeeezzzee! A song about Emo, called Emo, where the main lyric is EMO EMO!

You didn't really listen to the lyrics very well did you? It's ELMO, not EMO.

They stole that from Sesame Street and I know Se-Sa-Me sounds kind of Japanese but it's not trust me.

Clearly you do not listen to Doug Bendo, famous half brother of Ben Dover and world famous Robotech fan podcasts!

If you had, you would understand that Marcos is the name GIVEN by Harmony Gold to the Chinese guy who put the Robotech toys together. Just like Harmony Gold generally westernized the names to match them up to the way they looked. As Ben Dover famously said, echoing the word of Doug Bendo "Kakizake does not look like Kakizake!"

http://ramblingnitwit.blogspot.com/2008/02...d-of-funny.html

In any event, the most shocking thing for me isn't that there are chinese people willing to bootleg Robotech into Marcos, and that there are all of these ignorant foreign people who watch Marcos the Final Frontier and don't realize that not only is it a Robotech ripoff, but that it's actually a Star Trek rip off as well (Hello! Final Frontier! Duh).

What truly is shocking is the legion of fans that has supposedly developed around Macross Frontier in other parts of the world where people should know better.

I mean - come on. The same time that Marcos the Final Frontier comes out, we got Shadow Chronicles! Now - let's be serious for a minute: it is so obvious which of these two is better. I mean, heck, in Shadow Chronicles we even get to hear a portion of We Can Win! towards the end.

Gimme a break! And people like this garbage?

Pete

This coming from someone who writes "spiderman" instead of the correct "Spider-Man"... I mean, what do you know? If you had watched the great youtube video chronicle: Robotech and how it saved western civilisation, you would know that that the "chinese factory" story was one that was fabricated by crazed japanese cartoon fans who tried to derail the great robotech sequel Sentinels in order to push their own crappy sequel: Marcos Plus, which itself was just a crappy remake of the greatest american action movie of all time, Top Gun.

This video is not aimed really at the hard core fan so much as the modern generation of anime fans who don't really know about the series, I think of my self as a second fan, as I wasn't born when the series originally aired, as I will explain to you in the full video coming later, as I first saw the Macross saga when it aired on Toonami in the 90's. And as for the opening this is the version from the episode Booby Trap I had, which I pulled from VHS.

So he wants to inform new fans about something they could learn from better informed sources. This ought to be somewhat amusing. All from a guy that rates Godanner as the number 5 best super mecha series all because of ever increasing breast sizes. :rolleyes: Though he does list Gunbuster as number two, even if he goes on about the characters being some prototype for Evangelion...

Translation: I watched YuGiOh yesterday and now I'm an Anime Expert, like every 11-13 year old in the country.

Vostok 7

hahaha...sounds like it could have potential for some serious carl macek/homotech bashing

Unfortunately, I see it the other way around. It could be potential for more "Macross sucks, long live Robotech!"

Or even worse, those fun times when Robotech fans claim Macross "ripped off" Robotech :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vostok 7

Unfortunately, I see it the other way around. It could be potential for more "Macross sucks, long live Robotech!"

Or even worse, those fun times when Robotech fans claim Macross "ripped off" Robotech :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vostok 7

Yeah I've seen that, even funnier are the ones who think the novels come first.

"That Shadow Chronicles movie is crap, did these guys even read the novels? But they're nowhere near as bad as the Japanese who for some reason adapted each saga of the novels seperatly, and then had all these sequals to the macross portion, which make no sense if you read the books."

Seriously, I've seen it, it happens.