Berttt's Monster Thread

Berttt

Okay so here are some fast and dirty snaps of the kits I have been working on instead of the monster.

First up is Dragon's 1/35 scale Pz.IV Ausf D made up of about a million pieces and done up in 21st Panzer Division colors when they were in Tunisia. This kit had been on my bench sine January 2007.

post-641-1232451413_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451251_thumb.jpg

Second up is a Tamiya 1/48 Panther G in a 3 colour scheme. On the bench since september.

post-641-1232451606_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451621_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451631_thumb.jpg

Wave 1/72 scale Jigabachi. I started this the day I finished work last year as I have a tradition where I start a kit with the intention of finishing it before I go back to work the following year. This is the first time I have managed it. This is an awaesome if expensive kit and I finished it in 5 days over 7 hours.

post-641-1232451787_thumb.jpgpost-641-1232451798_thumb.jpg

Lastly the Revell AG Rebuplic Star Destroyer - and destroyer of modelling plans. A mate got one of these and it hooked me into getting one as well. It is currently sucking up a lot of time and is filled fibre optic and LEDs. I would say it is about a month off being finished, and unfortunately for the monster I am not working on anyhting else until it is done.

post-641-1232451997_thumb.jpgpost-641-1232452018_thumb.jpg

So a neat little amount of kits off my bench considering I was only off work for 3 weeks and lost over a week of that to family and other commitments. Though I just realised I don't have any of the Sulaco I rebuilt as well. With that lot out of the way I only have a GiTS Lancia Stratos, Regult Scout, VF-11 and SdKfz 234/3 left on my bench - besides the Monster of course :)

Cheers,

Berttt

I have that Star Destroyer... I'm pissed off at the massive number of paint colors it needs, but the tiny quantities of each color it needs... Grr... <_<

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

Dude, wow.

How did you do the grey on the front of the PzIV? Is it hand painted or salt weathering or something else? I wish I was still at Newcastle so I could take a look in person! Great work.

On the SD (dumb question time): that is thin styrene you're adding all over the deck, right? It looks very nice and I'm surprised the original kit didn't have something similar already?!

Looking good mate.

Hey Caowie, all the paint chips on the panzer are done by hand - you can take it from me that there are a lot of them :)

The Sd does have some detailing across the board but in general it just didn't sem enough, so I am greebling it up with some stock styrene.

• 5 months later...

Still no more pics of the monster as I keep getting distracted by other half finished kits on my bench. And that damn Star Destroyer isn't finished either.

I have worked on some of the overall shape of the feet but I am daunted by the amount of work that this kit needs to really to do it justice. It is just so damn huge!

Here are some kits that are soon to be finished:

post-641-1247753083_thumb.jpg

post-641-1247753208_thumb.jpg

post-641-1247753225_thumb.jpg

post-641-1247753286_thumb.jpg

Just a few more and I'll be down to the beast itself.

Edited by Berttt

• 2 weeks later...

[Off topic]

Regarding the SD you may want to get hold of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeller vol 6. There is a very nice scratch built Studio scale Venorator there. The guy used the revel kit as a base for his mesurements etc. Lots of lovely pictures of the details :)

Sci Fi and Fantasy Modeller For anyone really into the art of Scifi modeling these are well worth it. Lots of Starwars Gerry Anderson, Dr who and film sized props etc. Quite a few how to's and interviews with scratch builders and model co's.

[/Off topic]

Edited by big F

• 4 years later...

So back in 2008 I said that the Star Destroyer was about a month from being finished. Man was I wrong.

Here we are many years later and it is still not done. But it is close.

x8wh.jpg

frt9.jpg

zdtr.jpg

Rather than start new threads I am going to use this as a V bench and host all my builds here. Featuring of course the Monster.

I haven't touched it since the last update looong ago. But since this is almost finished it is only fitting that I drag it out and start work again.

I did try and contact Mike to see if I could get a set of feet from his V2.0 Monster. It would save me a heap of work, but I guess he gets a lot of PMs as I never heard back.

Brett T

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

@ Captain America - Wow thanks John, to get a compliment like that from you is quite humbling.

Now on to the Monster. I dragged out the arms and started clean up. I will work on these for now until I can work out what I am going to do with the feet. I don't have any pics at this stage because I took the parts to work today so I could use some of the facilities , but hopefully by tomorrow I will have a slight update on those. There are some pretty gnarly gaps to fill, and I think I'll take Sean's advice and use auto body filler. I'll also pin all the parts and use epoxy glue for a nice strong bond.

I have taken a few shots of the torso and am hoping that someone can help me out with what the little ribbed detail is to the right of the writing. I think they are engine compartment vents but at the moment they are solid lumps. I am not sure if I will improve these or just fake it.

v5md.jpg

Also if anyone has any ideas on how I can jazz up all of the open space on this kit let me know. For now I am just going to be cleaning up the excess and removing some of the molded on details. I've also included Neville in this picture. Neville and his mate Chuck are going to help with making sure added details stay at 1/72 scale.

v2h3.jpg

I think the detail on the top here is supposed to be some sort of hatch, so I'll scour the net for AFV images and come up with something a but more jazzy. That will mean getting rid of the wonky lumps in place right now.

9u19.jpg

The nose of the beast.

4fwq.jpg

Chuck showing off some of the soft detail that I would like to improve at the rear of the gun breach.

dlsm.jpg

This thing has been sitting in an open box for the best part of six years so there is plenty of dust.

s96b.jpg

And some shots compared to the SD I have on the bench ATM:

7pel.jpg

it5k.jpg

I'll be back with more tomorrow.

Time: 3 HRS

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

I would suggest some panel lines up on the top. Most large armored vehicles are not made in large parts. More like a few panels to ease repairs.

That is what I was thinking. Since this.....this monster is a cross between a AFV and a ship, I will have to use both as references.

Small update. I removed the molded on detail on the top of the torso and applied filler to the seams.

nnhd.jpg

n4gu.jpg

h760.jpg

And in a mad effort to completely ruin this kit I removed the molded on vents on the back of the arm. I'll either detail up these or find some replacements. Anyone know where I can find 30mm diameter thrusters?

xm6i.jpg

It will be a week or so until I can get back to this as I will be away from home over the next week or so.

Cheers,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

My personal gold standard for a detailed Monster is still Fernando's build of the 1/160 ARII kit. After all the years, the pics are still available in this gallery:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/fa/amaclub/emgallery.html

You might have to turn off Javascript to get rid of the pesky Webring overlay.

Thanks for that link. I had seen those images before bu lost the url. There's lots of great stuff going on their on that Monster. Maybe a little too much creative licence for my taste, but certainly plenty of food for thought.

Speaking of which, In the five or six years since this kit cam out I have seen exactly one built. Where are all the other builds - come one people!

Berttt

I am so sorry but I've no idea how I missed your thread back in 2008. Your work is fantastic! I mean wow...that Venator-Class Star Destroyer...dear gawd... :wub:...um, now where was I? LOL!

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to your HWR-00 Destroid Monster Mk II model. I'm glad my website can help for reference. I hope the project goes quickly but if not believe me I understand; it's been 3 years since my last website update so I know the perils of daily life impacting time for hobbies :)

For the next update of my website I have a brand new scan and a highly detailed re-coloring of the Destroid Monster. This new version is one of the marquee pieces in the next update so I don't want to spoil it before release, but I can post the scan itself - minus the colors - to help as reference for your very ambitious modeling project. I also have a new schematic of the Monster that will be released in the next update, but I'll post here for more reference.

Let me know if you need anything to help make your project easier. I'm happy to help.

post-114-0-51108400-1384355914_thumb.gif

post-114-0-11201000-1384355924_thumb.gif

Thanks for the extra line art. In fact I was looking at the colored line art yesterday and only just noticed what lloled like an antenna sticking out between two barrels. I had never noticed that before, but that font schematic clears the matter up nicely.

Also I was re reading some of my posts and I realised that I come across as bashing Mike's kit. I just wanted to make it clear that is not the case. You only have to look at the build up of HWR-00-MKII's kit to see that. As I mentioned I just can't leave well enough alone and just build. And I can see that I am making life so much more difficult than it needs to be.

I totally respect Mike and his work in mastering this kit. And at this stage all I can say is that I have done more damage to than anything. And I am not 100% convinced that I can pull it off.

Cheers,

Brett T

Thanks for the extra line art. In fact I was looking at the colored line art yesterday and only just noticed what lloled like an antenna sticking out between two barrels. I had never noticed that before, but that font schematic clears the matter up nicely.

Also I was re reading some of my posts and I realised that I come across as bashing Mike's kit. I just wanted to make it clear that is not the case. You only have to look at the build up of HWR-00-MKII's kit to see that. As I mentioned I just can't leave well enough alone and just build. And I can see that I am making life so much more difficult than it needs to be.

I totally respect Mike and his work in mastering this kit. And at this stage all I can say is that I have done more damage to than anything. And I am not 100% convinced that I can pull it off.

Cheers,

Brett T

If it helps at all i am stripping my kit down and readressing some things as well. But its more to bring the model in line with a more improved skill set than anything else.

most important watch your fingers. I had the body swivel down on the leg pivots. Almost broke my fingers like a pair of blunt shears. This thing is gangerously heavy.

A yeah I remember you mentioning that once before. And yeah it is heavy, any falls or drops are either going to the handler of the kit.

I've been messing about with the idea of getting the arms exhaust ports 3D printed and have been flailing about with Sketchup. This is what I have so far but will have to tweak it a bit.

It is not easy to learn 3D modelling while teaching yourself but I would really like to be able to take advantage of this new technology so I am going to force myself to learn.

ex4b.jpg

Looking great Berttt, both the star destroyer and Monster! Age and experience changes things. There are a LOT of things I would change now on the 1/100th Monster I built. But at the time I worked hard on it. So don't feel bad about wanting to improve a model due to having the new experience to do it with.

As far as the rear detail goes on the Monster, there isn't much on it. Those vent things are hard to figure out. Some lineart shows it sunken, some shows it as raised detail. I wish I knew what it is. But I made it raised on the 1/350th version I'm building. Anime magic!

Keep up the great work! - MT

Thanks MT. You have to love Anime Magic, because while I will stick to the line art as much as possible, I want to add my own touches here and there as well. Mainly to try add some functional aspects to the details.

I had a chance for a small step forward. But big jobs call for big tools and I had to resort to a bastard file in order to make shorter work of rasping back the automotive filler. Both of the arm aft blocks have had an initial pass:

nyoe.jpg

2cgh.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

I have been wiped out for the last week or so thanks to illness, but I managed to get some more done between rides on the vomitron and bouts of tap arse :wacko: The destruction continues as I continue to hack and drill away into a rare and expensive resin kit:

g0yg.jpg

j03w.jpg

u0y0.jpg

That last shot shows how I have split the toe in order to widen it, as I thought the original was a bit too narrow and pointy. I'll joint the two halves with rod or tube and smother in putty, ready for reshaping.

Also while I was rummaging around for something else I found a plastruct sphere that I had ordered for another project. First I filed off the molded on nipple:

se6o.jpg

Then I set to with a razor saw and some wet and dry:

j8e2.jpg

A bit of a test fit:

v054.jpg

Then a polish with various micromesh polishing cloths, and some Future, and voila!

udcs.jpg

John had done such a great job with all of the greebly detail behind the lens that it would have been such a shame to use the semi transparent item that came with the kit:

s3ng.jpg

As it turns out I also prefer the slightly more shallow profile as well. I can't decide if I should tint this a very slight shade of blue of just leave as is. So if anyone has any opinions chime in.

1wu7.jpg

That lens was the only thing holding me back from finishing the scout - that was five or so years ago that I decided to try something else with it. I had tried vac forming or plunge molding a replacement, but the dome was so tall that it made the edges of any material plunge molded off the original to thin to work with. That plustruct thing was a dream to work with and didn't take very long. Five years procrastination ruined by an hour's good work :) That means I can finish that up soon and post some decent images in a separate thread.

Regards,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

Wow, you're really going all-out on that monster kit. It's so huge it really can be a bit of a blank canvas for all kinds of options.

The new dome for the scout looks great. You could tint the semi-clear resin dome blue and leave the plastruct one crystal clear. Use a tiny bit of white glue or micro-crystal clear to attach one and then you could easily swap them out when you're ready for a change! ^_^

Nice mods Berttt! And top work with the clear piece. It really sets it off.

I tinted a screen on a 1/100 Scout (which I think I bought from jardann!) and it turned out well. Just a light spray on the inside with tamiya clear blue. Less is more, and all that. It helped it become part of the whole model, kinda like a 1/35 filter.

Thanks Cowie. It's been a long time since we spoke. I have decided to go ahead and tint the lens with some future tinted with tamiya clear blue. For some reason I alwYs get crap stuck on whenever I try to spray those clear colours.

Cheers MT. She's a labour of love - I am sure you get it.

Berttt

Oh an thanks for the scan Cx. It will be very useful.

It sure has mate. Despite what my profile says, I've been back at WLM for a couple of years now. You still down south?

How did the lens turn out? I'm the opposite - I can get nice and smooth with the gun, but the brush always leaves parts heavier than the rest!

I have a spare bottle of Future if you're still using the aussie version. If you can use it, just shoot me an address.

Cowie

Thanks Cowie, but my WLM days gave me the opportunity to get a couple of bottles of the proper future.

I am down here at ALB for the next couple of years, and work wise it is a great place to be.

I haven't had a lot of time at the bench lately, and what little I have done has been focused on destroying the monster's feet some more.

I did manage to get another image of the scout after I cleaned off the 5 or so years of dust

post-641-0-90268900-1386067233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Berttt