Old CG Valks

DatterBoy

Pretty good for old work. How old are these models and what kind of source material did you have when you built them?

Hmm... Source material...

I used Hasagawa model sheets as reference for the decals and Battroid reference but started out using the 1/60 V.1 Yamato and eventually the 1/48. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to use model sheets as planes for modelling in the app so it was pretty much done by eye. More than likely the proportions do not line up as I've done a ton of scaling to get the best fighter/batt modes I could do.

I am not sure, but I know that several of the "old timers" modelled it this way. By eye vs. model sheets, so they have a sort of unique set of proportions in some areas vs. traditional source material.

Wow. I gotta say, regardless of how you used your reference materials, these are outstanding. And I happen to be a fan of tweaking to get the things to look the best in each mode. After all, we're dealing with stuff that was never intended to be 3d cgi.

What software were you using?

Were you by any chance on CGTalk? cause i think i remember seeing your older work there. Great to see you kept on working on them, and it's really showing how much time you put into them.

Thanks by the way you helped me want to do my valkyrie more when i was starting it out.

Do you by any chance have some animation for it now?

yeah. I was on CGTalk a few years ago. I'm glad to hear these were inspirational for you. Seeing many of the old timers work made me want to do one initially too. They were also extremely helpful and forthcoming with advice.

I do have animations, but they are extremely brief. I'll see if I can't find a few. Nothing more than transformation tests though.

• 2 weeks later...
yeah. I was on CGTalk a few years ago. I'm glad to hear these were inspirational for you. Seeing many of the old timers work made me want to do one initially too. They were also extremely helpful and forthcoming with advice.

I do have animations, but they are extremely brief. I'll see if I can't find a few. Nothing more than transformation tests though.

Still, I'm sure we can all agree we'd like to see said tests. I know I would.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did you rig these guys with a skeleton? Are they FK/IK rigs? I'm so curious.

These were rigged by Kingnor, he's a professional animator and he did a few animations with it and was far to complicated for me to understand or use. He produced some animations and so did I. Mine were based on keyframing and rotation points, but no skeleton rigs where his was. I've uploaded them here:

http://studio1311.net/temp/valk/vids/

You'll very much be able to tell the difference between his and mine.

:Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

These were rigged by Kingnor, he's a professional animator and he did a few animations with it and was far to complicated for me to understand or use. He produced some animations and so did I. Mine were based on keyframing and rotation points, but no skeleton rigs where his was. I've uploaded them here:

http://studio1311.net/temp/valk/vids/

You'll very much be able to tell the difference between his and mine.

:Dat

Woooowwwwww.

Not only is that awesome, but it gives me some ideas for my own work. I rigged this VF-1 I'm working with, but I tried to keep the rig sorta realistic in terms of the bending, but it made the thing really stiff, I note that it's got bend to the point of almost breaking to really look dynamic enough, and in motion, there are some cheats possible.

But yeah, wow. The rigged one is pretty stellar, but the non-rigged ones are still pretty impressive. Again, your model is so dope. If we had any kind of pipeline involving maya, I would be begging you to contribute to Macross Aria. We're all 3ds Max, though (and anything that can port to Max without some sort of 3rd party solution). Still... do you have any interest?