VF-0S vs VF-1S ver2.

wwkkim

I first want to apologize for asking this question again.

Please understand that I am a noob and thus have a hard time choosing what is to be my first valk.

I am having a hard time choosing between

VF-1S (S&SP Pack Ichijo Hikaru) and VF-0S (Roy Focker)

At the present time, I cannot afford two of them at the same time, so I would like to get whichever has more collectibility first. However, I am also concerned about the build quality of each valks as well.

First of all, I want to ask you guys about VF-0S.

1. Does it's canopy have a fitting line across it?

2. Will there be a ghost pack release after the normal version release? (So I can still have a chance to get it?)

3. Will it be difficult to obtain later on? (Like the old Koenig Destroyer released long time ago?)

Personally, I have found VF-1 ver 2.0 little better in terms of build quality

1. tampo printed macross kite mark

2. no fitting line in the canopy

3. nicely painted pilot.

Again, sorry guys for asking the same question again.

Just being really careful where to spend my money.

[ibtl]

v.2 Roy VF-1S will be easier to get in future, the VF-0S will be the one that will become rare imo.

Look at how many 1/48 re-issues of the VF-1S Roy Fokker, around 8 or even 9??

So yeah, get the VF-0S, it's beautiful, i have the Shin VF-0A + Ghost so i do know what i'm talking about.

As for the Ghost pack release, your better off buying the Ghost separately, as a re-release of the Ghost pack

could be a long time away or if ever. Some links below for you. Good luck in choosing.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00057 Roy VF-0S + Ghost pack (discontinued)

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00056 Shin VF-0A + Ghost pack (in stock)

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00055 Same coloured Ghost (canon colour for both Roy and Shin), but sold separately, and is in stock.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00054 - Alternate non canon coloured repaint Ghost.

[ibtl]

v.2 Roy VF-1S will be easier to get in future, the VF-0S will be the one that will become rare imo.

Look at how many 1/48 re-issues of the VF-1S Roy Fokker, around 8 or even 9??

So yeah, get the VF-0S, it's beautiful, i have the Shin VF-0A + Ghost so i do know what i'm talking about.

As for the Ghost pack release, your better off buying the Ghost separately, as a re-release of the Ghost pack

could be a long time away or if ever. Some links below for you. Good luck in choosing.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00057 Roy VF-0S + Ghost pack (discontinued)

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00056 Shin VF-0A + Ghost pack (in stock)

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00055 Same coloured Ghost (canon colour for both Roy and Shin), but sold separately, and is in stock.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00054 - Alternate non canon coloured repaint Ghost.

Hi Ruskii

THank you for your kind reply as always

I have two more quetsions about your VF-0

1. Is there a fitting line across the transparent canopy?

2. Is the gap (at the head of the battroid mode) in any way unsightly by any chance? (like the hair thin gap due to two plastics being together)

:( can't, at work. This Christmas i plan to start getting back into taking shots of my display and poses.

I have some more, if this thread is left opened long enough i'll post some more.

You should put a search in and track down some other photos, other members can provide higher quality pics compared to mine, i'm an amateur.

At posing i'm a pro. :)

Here's a fighter pic -

IMG_7406i.jpg

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hi Ruskii

THank you for your kind reply as always

I have two more quetsions about your VF-0

1. Is there a fitting line across the transparent canopy?

2. Is the gap (at the head of the battroid mode) in any way unsightly by any chance? (like the hair thin gap due to two plastics being together)

1. There is a line going down the canopy where the two halves of it were put together, but it's not too bad. If you wanted to, you could always sand the canopy and buff it to make it shiny again to get rid of the line.

2. There is a line only in the "face mask " area of the VF-0S, but it's about as visible as it was on the 1/48 VF-1S. I wouldn't say it's unsightly and I don't even notice it most of the time.

I would mate, wh knows, Shin might pop back in the next Macross saga with energy laced VF-0A wings and everyone will be like f'n damn!

Yeah i'm dreaming...

Can't wait for the Roy VF-0S though! Where is it Overdrive???

I've checked Amazon Japan and they say the release date is Dec 26th :D

Nice Christmas gift I guess.

26th??? dammit. That means next year for me. >_< Maybe i'll get lucky, ahh ohh well.

26th? Hope Amazon is wrong. Hey ruskii you're always so kind to newbies like us. Its very much appreciated thank you very much. I have questions about your VF-0A.

1) How long have you had it?

2) Any QC issues?

3) Is it the one with ghost?

Here are some head shots of my VF-0S. Don't know if there are any different versions of this figure, but this one was bought during the first initial release.

The top and side of the head show no streamlines at all, except for the front of the face which is hardly noticeable under some lighting conditions, but it is there.

(it has a slight scar/scratch on the left side of the face, which was completely my fault. @_@)

vf0s_head.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

26th? Hope Amazon is wrong. Hey ruskii you're always so kind to newbies like us. Its very much appreciated thank you very much. I have questions about your VF-0A.

1) How long have you had it?

2) Any QC issues?

3) Is it the one with ghost?

lol, ohh i just love you newbies u know. :p Nah it's just me. :p

Anyways!

[My] Shin VF-0A (with special white stripe) comes only in a Ghost combo pack bundle. There is No single Shin 0A release.

The single release VF-0A is the cannon fodder version, with no white stripe. :)

Nope, no QC issues with mine. Transformed many times.

yeah... till you read up about a VF-1A Hikky casualty, glad i cancelled my pre-order with the 1J Hik,

and left my luck for the irresistable VF-1S Hikaru Strike. F'n hell hope Yamato does SOMETHING about the arms by 1S time...

People with the 1J keep checking!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Yeah but the 1/60 V2 is a much better toy all around. Maybe instead of getting a 0S now or a 1/60 VF-1 2.0 a person should wait a couple months until the smoke clears and see if the 0S really is perfect or if the 1/60V2 really is something they should be afraid of. After all, one failed shoulder on a 1A hardly seems like something to flip out on... I know in the electronics industry about a 5% faulty product percentage is assumed... maybe the same works for toys.

Yeah but the 1/60 V2 is a much better toy all around. Maybe instead of getting a 0S now or a 1/60 VF-1 2.0 a person should wait a couple months until the smoke clears and see if the 0S really is perfect or if the 1/60V2 really is something they should be afraid of. After all, one failed shoulder on a 1A hardly seems like something to flip out on... I know in the electronics industry about a 5% faulty product percentage is assumed... maybe the same works for toys.

i totally agree with jenius.

i have both the vf-1s roy focker 1st release and also vf-1j hikaru, and also both the VF-0A (cannon fodder) and VF-0S (ghost combo).

The ver2 VF-1 are both are in fantastic condition and most importantly, they are simply better toys than the VF-0. i practically have no complaints about them.

The problem with the vf-0 is not only confined to the shoulders (my vf-0A had shoulder problems, my vf-0S did not).

I can immediately point out there are also other problems such as

- the floppiness of the whole neck of the jet.

- the legs cant peg firmly in jet mode, especially when u use the display stand adapter (it fits in between the front intakes causing both legs to slightly spread apart)

- the looseness of the ankle extension locks (that sometimes give way to the weight of the battroid when posed as just standing) (i know this is supposed to have been fixed from VF-0A shin combo onwards. i have the VF-0S ghost combo, but still its too loose for its own good)

- the chicken hands that cant grip the gunpod firmly

- the GERWALK mode forward bend leg extensions (mine both VF-0A and VF-0S has cracks there and i covered them with some super glue and coating)

- the material of the toy (simply feels inferior to the vf-1 ver2)

the only thing the VF-0 does is look awesome in all 3 modes and thats it. the moment you touch it, you will know the beauty is only skin deep.

so far the release only mentioned about the fixes for the shoulders (i guess nothing else)

and i dont think its worth it to freak out on just one report of the VF-1A shoulder breaking, as you are missing out on a very good toy. well ok yeah if u wanna play safe then go for the VF-1S Hikaru.

and yeah as jenius pointed out, who knows what problems the 2nd release VF-0 will have? and are we gonna freak out again on a few bad reports, cancel our orders and wait until all the smoke clears again?

nothing is perfect in this world, when buying toys there will always be a risk involved. as far as i'm concerned, the risk for the 1/60 VF-1 ver2 is low enough right now, but i do sympathize with those who had problems.

my advise: get the 1/60 VF-1 ver 2

Edited by honkhet

i have both the vf-1s roy focker 1st release and also vf-1j hikaru, and also both the VF-0A and VF-0S. The ver2 VF-1 are both are in fantastic condition and most importantly, they are simply better toys than the VF-0.

The problem with the vf-0 is not only confined to the shoulders (my vf-0A had shoulder problems, my vf-0S did not), there are also other points such as

the floppiness of the whole neck of the jet, the chicken hands that cant grip the gunpod firmly, the GERWALK mode forward bend leg extensions (mine has cracks there and i covered them with some super glue and coating)

Yeah all of my 1/60 VF-1 V 2.0's are great - even if my Roy (and only Roy) has a shoulder crack - its really not all that bad. Also HLJ are sending me a replacement part for free (zang!) - they do very good work, would recommend them everytime. My VF-0S (Version 1 bought when first released) is floppy in the left arm, but I reckon it is also awesome - and with the new fixes I am sure it will be great! It also looks so very sweet.

If you have the money get both! :)

But if you HAVE to only get 1 I would say grab the Roy 1/60 1S super/strike when they are restocked from a good supplier. I am a HUGE fan. Heaps of accessories, iconic design, sturdy all in all apart from the right shoulder - which should be fixed soon.

1/60 VF-1, do it!

- the legs cant peg firmly in jet mode, especially when u use the display stand adapter (it fits in between the front intakes causing both legs to slightly spread apart -

This is one of my main gripes with it. Everything else i can live with as it does everything i want (display wise) and is solid enough.

Not that i have everything wrong you have listed there.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Sometimes I think it's a matter if it's for "playing" or "displaying".

If you transform a lot and pose a lot (a.k.a. play a lot), get the 1/60 VF-1.

If you use it for display mainly, I would recommend the VF-0. It looks much better as a bigger, apparant-detailed collector's toy.

By apparant-detailed I mean, the engravings are there for both models, but they are thinner and less noticable on the 1/60 VF-1. I suppose as the size is smaller, you don't have the same thickness for the engravings do you?

In consideration of mecha: VF-1S is the symbol of Macross universe (ok! I am talking about the mecha side). Enuf said.

BTW, I like to put my 1/60 VF-0 and 1/48 VF-1 together and pretend they are of the same scale. I actually like it better that way and it feels so natural.

Edited by ff95gj

Sometimes I think it's a matter if it's for "playing" or "displaying".

If you transform a lot and pose a lot (a.k.a. play a lot), get the 1/60 VF-1.

If you use it for display mainly, I would recommend the VF-0. It looks much better as a bigger, apparant-detailed collector's toy.

By apparant-detailed I mean, the engravings are there for both models, but they are thinner and less noticable on the 1/60 VF-1. I suppose as the size is smaller, you don't have the same thickness for the engravings do you?

In consideration of mecha: VF-1S is the symbol of Macross universe (ok! I am talking about the mecha side). Enuf said.

BTW, I like to put my 1/60 VF-0 and 1/48 VF-1 together and pretend they are of the same scale. I actually like it better that way and it feels so natural.

That is very true, putting a 1/48 vf-1 with a 1/60 vf-0 does look more natural to me too.

I dont know why, but i just can't accept the fact that an older valkyrie (VF-0) can be bigger than a more modern one (VF-1). no matter what the justification such as the VF-1 was designed smaller than the VF-0 so that it has better thrust to weight ratio, thus saving on fuel/energy consumption.

this is of course, only according to the story.

however, if u put a 1/60 VF-1 together with the 1/60 YF-19 or YF-21, then it doesnt look akward anymore. when ppl view my macross collection, i love telling them about how the macross mecha evolved from a VF-1, to YF-19 and to YF-21.

i always liked to assume the YF-21 is more modern than the YF-19 simply bcos i can tell ppl "look at the pilot, he sits in the plane with his hands in a praying-like position, cos he only uses his brain waves to control the plane." the oohs and ahhs i get from them is hella satisfying

That is very true, putting a 1/48 vf-1 with a 1/60 vf-0 does look more natural to me too.

I dont know why, but i just can't accept the fact that an older valkyrie (VF-0) can be bigger than a more modern one (VF-1). no matter what the justification such as the VF-1 was designed smaller than the VF-0 so that it has better thrust to weight ratio, thus saving on fuel/energy consumption.

however, if u put a 1/60 VF-1 together with the 1/60 YF-19 or YF-21, then it doesnt look akward anymore. when ppl view my macross collection, i love telling them about how the macross mecha evolved from a VF-1, to YF-19 and to YF-21.

i always liked to assume the YF-21 is more modern than the YF-19 simply bcos i can tell ppl "look at the pilot, he sits in the plane with his hands in a praying-like position, cos he only uses his brain waves to control the plane." the oohs and ahhs i get from them is hella satisfying

Cool. :D i hope all your story telling and display showcasing flips over to the dvd watching then they'll appreciate EVERYTHING

an become fully fledged fans. :p The Zero rules though, gotta give it equal love as the rest. ;)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

i totally agree with jenius.

i have both the vf-1s roy focker 1st release and also vf-1j hikaru, and also both the VF-0A (cannon fodder) and VF-0S (ghost combo).

The ver2 VF-1 are both are in fantastic condition and most importantly, they are simply better toys than the VF-0. i practically have no complaints about them.

The problem with the vf-0 is not only confined to the shoulders (my vf-0A had shoulder problems, my vf-0S did not).

- the legs cant peg firmly in jet mode, especially when u use the display stand adapter (it fits in between the front intakes causing both legs to slightly spread apart)

- the looseness of the ankle extension locks (that sometimes give way to the weight of the battroid when posed as just standing) (i know this is supposed to have been fixed from VF-0A shin combo onwards. i have the VF-0S ghost combo, but still its too loose for its own good)

- the chicken hands that cant grip the gunpod firmly

- the GERWALK mode forward bend leg extensions (mine both VF-0A and VF-0S has cracks there and i covered them with some super glue and coating)

- the material of the toy (simply feels inferior to the vf-1 ver2)

the only thing the VF-0 does is look awesome in all 3 modes and thats it. the moment you touch it, you will know the beauty is only skin deep.

so far the release only mentioned about the fixes for the shoulders (i guess nothing else)

and i dont think its worth it to freak out on just one report of the VF-1A shoulder breaking, as you are missing out on a very good toy. well ok yeah if u wanna play safe then go for the VF-1S Hikaru.

and yeah as jenius pointed out, who knows what problems the 2nd release VF-0 will have? and are we gonna freak out again on a few bad reports, cancel our orders and wait until all the smoke clears again?

nothing is perfect in this world, when buying toys there will always be a risk involved. as far as i'm concerned, the risk for the 1/60 VF-1 ver2 is low enough right now, but i do sympathize with those who had problems.

my advise: get the 1/60 VF-1 ver 2

Wh...WHAAT?

Isn't VF-0S made out of ABS plastic and thus quite sturdy?

Bah... it's too late to cancel my order now

Did they care to justify why the latter models (YF-19, VF-17, VF-25, etc) get bigger again? In the story, of course.

Really? My understanding was the ghost combo VF-0S had fixed the floppy fighter issue? That's the one thing that bugged me the most about the VF-0 fighter, that I could NOT fix - the loose tabs connecting the intakes to the fuselage plate, and the loose tolerances between the nose-heatshield-chest plate.

I was totally waiting for v2 of the stand-alone VF-0S. I guess I 'll pass if it's going to have a broken back.