Announcing Macross Aria: a CGI fan film project

chillyche

I'd ask my wife to do some 2D stuff, but I have a staff that is trying to get ready to present for an animated series, and we've been working on character designs for awhile with that. I'm still available for any musical needs, and anything else perhaps. Let me know. Just can't do too much in any timely manner.

I'd ask my wife to do some 2D stuff, but I have a staff that is trying to get ready to present for an animated series, and we've been working on character designs for awhile with that. I'm still available for any musical needs, and anything else perhaps. Let me know. Just can't do too much in any timely manner.

Well, if I toss an assignment at y'all, if there's any chance it might get done, that's better than it not getting done at all, regardless of the timeline.

Che, send me a pm on what type of 2D stuff you need, and I'll see if she can swing getting something done. Can't guarantee anything, but perhaps if it's nothing too in depth, whe may be able to swing something.

Nothing really big, found some time and did some details at the zent-suit model. (The hand is just a generic one)

I guess should have asked if anyone did them before me... <_<

Still have to figure out how the shoulder cannon is attached.

post-180-1254182091_thumb.jpg

Edited by akt_m

Nothing really big, found some time and did some details at the zent-suit model. (The hand is just a generic one)

I guess should have asked if anyone did them before me... <_<

Still have to figure out how the shoulder cannon is attached.

Cool. Nobody has done the hand yet. But, I'm also happy to say I found a few more reference pics.

The last one is the TV version, but I figured I'd upload it anyway, to see if there's anything useful to fill in lack of detail on the DYRL version.

post-7376-1254190827_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1254190852_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1254191334_thumb.jpg

PM'd you about 2D work, Chillyche.

BTW, I never knew the movie version of the Nousjadeul-Ger was by Yuu Debuchi. I thought Miyatake did all of the Zentradi/Metltrandi stuff. Interesting.

Got your PM. Have been swamped with work, but will respond soon. I like your watercolor (?) manga of Hikaru and Misa.

• 2 months later...

Indeed looking good. I have a question...For the finished product, will it be cel shaded or have the CGI look? I saw the character designs and like them a lot. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Indeed looking good. I have a question...For the finished product, will it be cel shaded or have the CGI look? I saw the character designs and like them a lot. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

I'm trying to split the difference at this point. The straight cel shading looks okay, but sometimes looks a bit flat, or weird with 3d characters. Particularly, the vehicles tend to look better with a little more definition. I think the perfect look would be an Appleseed: Ex Machina, but I believe XSI was used for renders, not 3ds Max (though some work was Max), and XSI has some great cel shading texture tools.

At the end of the day, it will be a matter of experimenting until we get a look that works in conjunction with all the elements. As of right now, the lines tend to crash a render, somewhat arbitrarily, and will probably do so until I upgrade to a 64-bit OS and get some new RAM. Pipedreams right now. We've got a ways to go before we're producing FINAL renders anyway.

Still, I'm excited about showing off Alex here, and hope this little tease reinvigorates interest in the project.

Deculture!

P.S. Oh, and here's what she would look like with a more 2D interpretation:

Macross_Aria_render_test_by_chillyche.jpg

Edited by chillyche

• 4 weeks later...

Making another impassioned plea...

To all 2D artists of varying levels, now is the time to break out your conte crayons, your lead holders, your wacoms and cintiqs, your 2Bs or 2HBs, or whatever medium you prefer most, and contribute to the ambitious (and awesome) fan project of Macross Aria! We're still looking for just the right style for many characters, as well as new interpretations of familiar items from the Macross universe.

See you soon.

http://macrossaria.ning.com or PM me for information.

I wanna show off more stuff here!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just out of curiosity, would you happen to be looking for any writing assistance?

At this point the script is (basically) finished, and the actors have turned in their lines. There are a few revisions to be made (and there may be more once we begin editing), but largely the scripting phase is over. However, we are also launching some ancillary materials that will require some more writers, as well as some web designers.

Of course, we always need more artists. We have a very talented but extremely busy team here, and sometimes real life schedules don't mesh so well with our internet deadlines. So, the call is still out!

sorry I havent been able to turn any more 2D concepts in,been extremely busy and havent had enough time to sit down and draw,table is full of unfinished sketches.

on the other hand,damn chillyche,that audio teaser was awesome!! I got goosebumps just imagining the scenes that go with it,cant wait to see the full trailer with video. amazing work!

We're all pretty busy, to be sure! I've been on back to back features, and this audio teaser thing is the most I've been able to work on Aria for some weeks, now. It's never too late to send us something, though.... Until you see the finished webisodes, at least.

And thanks! The audio teaser was made partially just to get me amped up again, and I wanted to share it with the community here to inspire some of the same excitement.

sorry I havent been able to turn any more 2D concepts in,been extremely busy and havent had enough time to sit down and draw,table is full of unfinished sketches.

on the other hand,damn chillyche,that audio teaser was awesome!! I got goosebumps just imagining the scenes that go with it,cant wait to see the full trailer with video. amazing work!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody in the community consider themselves something of a web ninja? What I'm really looking for right now are people with CMS knowledge (Joomla is a big plus, though I'd be willing to consider Drupal or even Wordpress), people with flash skills, people with CSS and templating knowledge, and people who love awesome stuff.

We're in the process of putting up some new stuff, but it will go a lot faster with experts on-board. Any takers?

Edited by chillyche

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, i was doodling stuff while lurking at MW, then I did this:

Alex Yokohama fan art!

yippee.jpg

yeah i know, it's just a rough sketch. when i draw i usually do rough sketches, all of which remain unfinished. hope your project is going well, I am waiting. . .

• 2 weeks later...

it's been more that a week, and it was a blast! i actually quit drawing a few months ago, and after che gave me to go-signal, ive been drawing like crazy! feels good to be doing what i enjoy the most: drawing new characters XD!

it's been more that a week, and it was a blast! i actually quit drawing a few months ago, and after che gave me to go-signal, ive been drawing like crazy! feels good to be doing what i enjoy the most: drawing new characters XD!

Wow, it looks like everybody's a winner! You've gotten new inspiration to pick up the pencil, and Macross Aria has tons of great new designs. This is exactly what I had in mind for the Aria Project, was bringing artists together through the web, to collaborate, and collectively inspire each other. The momentum is building. And I just ordered a new OS, a new HD, and soon, a new version of 3DS Max 2011, so hopefully this will mean more work to show the community!

• 2 weeks later...

So, we're really close to launching something in beta form. But in the mean time, here are a few pictures of character concept art by Cannon_Fodder674:

post-7376-128144726837_thumb.jpg

post-7376-128144727804_thumb.jpg

Those designs are very nice. While most of my skills are in writing and music, my skills in drawing probably aren't at the level you are looking for. Don't know how many people you have working on music, but I've got several different styles of music that I've worked on for various things, and some of them may work well for conveying various emotions. I'll see about putting it up somehow and getting it to you if you're still needing some music.

Those designs are very nice. While most of my skills are in writing and music, my skills in drawing probably aren't at the level you are looking for. Don't know how many people you have working on music, but I've got several different styles of music that I've worked on for various things, and some of them may work well for conveying various emotions. I'll see about putting it up somehow and getting it to you if you're still needing some music.

There's an ftp drop box for stuff. I'll PM you the data.

Now that we're expanding the Aria universe past the three episodes we have planned, there are many possibilities for music, from soundtrack to score to inspired by.

Actually, PM coming up!

This could end up becoming a really first class fan fic type thing.

Maybe the big Kauna Kawamori will see it and think oh My Macross is really popular and these guys know their stuff.

Then maybe he'll hire you to do more or give you story to do :)