Announcing Macross Aria: a CGI fan film project

chillyche

• 2 weeks later...

We have several talented modelers and texture artists working on Aria, but I'm extending the offer to anybody who likes UV Mapping and Texturing to come aboard as a key texture artist. This will give our modelers more time to focus on pushing polys.

Any takers? Chthonic are you out there?

If nobody wants to do the texture for the QF-3000 i will do it myself, no problems about it. Do you guys have any sample on how i should do the textures for cellshaded models???

I will do the nos-gegureg... (don't know how to write it :lol: ) as soon as i can.

If nobody wants to do the texture for the QF-3000 i will do it myself, no problems about it. Do you guys have any sample on how i should do the textures for cellshaded models???

I will do the nos-gegureg... (don't know how to write it :lol: ) as soon as i can.

As soon as I get back to my desktop, I will send you an example of the textures I've been using for cel shading. Although, it's pretty simple: single flat color (the shader handles the highlight and shadow variations), and panel lines that aren't modeled in. The shader adds outlines to any obvious seams in the model, depending on angle, distance, etc. It also adds crashing to my renders sometimes...

need more... memory... argh... 64-bit... OS... necessary... to unlock my RAM...

• 2 weeks later...
awesome possum yo. Dammit I wish i could play with that VF-25 of yours XD

Look!! An airplane crash!!!!

-silently goes away...

:p

This thing is really a pain in the ass to do...

post-180-1244953816_thumb.jpg

Far away from being done...

I'm not saving poly, but so far only 4k.

Please don't say: "oh noes, you did the DYRL unit, i wanted the TV series one!"

-edit- "forgot emoticon"

:lol:

Edited by akt_m

-silently goes away...

DYRL all the way, man!

Looks good so far. This unit will get some serious screen time, so you can really go nuts on the poly count. If it's under 150k when you're done, then that's good. Since there'll be a lot of them, maybe you can create a medium poly version? By saving a less detailed version before you're finished?

I'm excited, there's been a lot of activity of late on this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks awesome. BTW, is the story all written out and done as well as the script, or is that still being hashed out? So far, this project has got some real promising aspects of it. How is the composer doing with the song? Any updates on that?

Scripts always going thru the rewrites but Yeah che did finish a pretty awesome script and I got all the mains to finish but now we're awaiting redoes for the cuts that didn't really make it. After that's done I'll start looking for extras.

Your renders are always sweet. I can have the same model on my computer, the same camera angle, but I haven't mastered the render.

Actually i use the automatic "physical sun and sky" creator with MR+FG. I don't know too how to use advanced rendering stuff.

We have several talented modelers and texture artists working on Aria, but I'm extending the offer to anybody who likes UV Mapping and Texturing to come aboard as a key texture artist. This will give our modelers more time to focus on pushing polys.

Any takers? Chthonic are you out there?

I'm here, but the quality you need is waaay beyond my skills- it looks awesome btw

-silently goes away...

-edit- "forgot emoticon"

:lol:

you should have asked me- I have a completed model already

post-610-1247241783_thumb.jpg

you should have asked me- I have a completed model already

Aye, that be a nice model ya got there and all, but its short about 49,000 polys. CG modeling and game modeling are coming closer together every day, but they are still very far apart... kinda like galaxies.

In order for the model to look correct, the majority of its details must come from the mesh its self, not the textures, as is tradition in game modeling. Rounded surfaces must be fleshed out with actual polygons, and cannot be faked.

I'm here, but the quality you need is waaay beyond my skills- it looks awesome btw

Well, how would you feel about handling textures for some of the models we've got other artists working on?

Also, some of the low-poly models might be useful for distance shots.

The transformable Hero VF-1B with Strike Pack is currently sitting at 175K polys. This includes the cockpit interior. I think I can get that number down quite a bit, actually, although, it will also jump back up when I arm this sucker. Frankly, the model isn't the most efficient in use of polys; there are some areas that are over-detailed, and others that are under-detailed.

I don't know where I got that number. The VF-1B with cockpit is only 90K polys, and I can't imagine the strike pack DOUBLED that. I must have had secret junk in the scene that was messing up my count.

So, for future reference, I still think we can jump up to 150k on hero models, but we should be prepared to have lowerpoly versions of everything as well. I think since we're using meshsmoothing, we can simply turn off meshsmooth for lp variations.

Anybody know a render script for 3ds Max that controls meshsmoothing based on distance from camera? Because that would be effin' awesome.

I would just like to mention that in addition to our awesome modeling team, we are also looking for people to create simpler models, as well as to adjust some of the models we've inherited. If you dabble with 3d, but don't feel that your at the level of producing hero models, we could still use your help on many assets.

• 4 weeks later...

Also looking for some Production Coordinator type people. We're in particular need of somebody with wiki experience, or the flexibility to learn and spend maybe an hour or so a week on keeping some of our online asset management stuff up to speed.

Deculture and all that.

• 4 weeks later...
Things like...

Well, we have a lot of organizational work to do. There are something like 20 team members, all working on different things, but we don't have an up-to-date master list at this point. We also have a wiki which we've set up to identify all of the assets we need to develop or are currently developing. I've been looking for somebody to basically go through the wiki and make sure each entry has some information, whether it's just the concept sketches, or work in progress sketches/renders, or finished renders, or finished files. It's not terribly complicated, just time consuming and not very glamorous.

Interested, or know somebody who is?

If there is a list of all the entries and things to enter, with some help, I could probably do it. No promises right at this moment; school just started, so I'm still working out my homework schedule. But, once that's taken care of, I should be able to.

Cool, send me a PM when your schedule is more organized, and I'll get you started. It's pretty cut and dry, actually. Thanks man!

Once again the Aria project is looking for some talented 2d character artists. We have developed the majority of the Macross Aria cast, but still need some concept art and some fine-tuning on a few characters. If you've got the chops to bring an original and exciting cast to life in vivid 2d style, then sign up!

We're also looking for some storyboard artists.

DECULTURE!

post-7376-1252959662_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1252959668_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1252959672_thumb.jpg

Augh. The webmastering teacher keeps putting off assigning what I'll be doing for the school website. When I know what that is, I can make the decision as to whether or not I'll be able to do this. If I end up on graphics, I'll really have to spend time honing my skills, you know?

I hope I get put in page coding or something, because that'll help, but...