Variable Bikes (MOSPEADA, Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, etc.)

RavenHawk

As I've mentioned once of twice before, I'm a little bit on the obsessed side when it comes to variable bikes. That means MOSPEADA, Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, Zillion, certain Transformers (and Go-Bots, but we'll just keep that in parentheses), Blassreiter (the Paladins), and various others.

Since I have yet to find a decent website on this topic, I'm thinking about (fairly amateurishly) putting one together myself. Does anyone have a) suggestions on a decent free host to use, and b) any particular items they want included? I'm basing it on the above shows which I am myself a fan of, some separate items such as toys that I've found searching around on the web, and a few other shows I had never heard of, as shown in Nandy's book "Animation Bikes." I can provide a more complete list if anyone is interested.

Let me know.

It'd be interesting to see a website like this... I'm just wondering how long you can sustain updating it with such limited materials for a niche subject. Maybe extending the subject matter to anime bikes to include FF Cloud's bike and the Blassreiter motorcycles...

BTW... Revoltech is coming out with a line of figures and vehicles and I believe one of those is a transforming bike.

It'd be interesting to see a website like this... I'm just wondering how long you can sustain updating it with such limited materials for a niche subject. Maybe extending the subject matter to anime bikes to include FF Cloud's bike and the Blassreiter motorcycles...

Just tackling stuff like BGC and Megazone could take up a fair amount of time.

I was kicking around the idea of a BGC fansite now that I've got all these old magazines and sh*t, but it's 2008 and no one gives a crap anymore, so... meh.

Sounds like a cool idea, if I had a scanner I'd help out as I have a ton of old ARTMIC materials.

I would say avoid free web hosts, as they tend to suck nowadays. Much better to just find a cheap host and pay a few bucks a month. That said, I might be able to help you out with web space as I've got some to spare... PM me.

Thanks. I'll hit you up this weekend, if that's ok? Got a couple of crazy days ahead of me at work first.

Which ARTMIC materials do you have? I have 2 entertainment bibles, though I've never been able to find their Variable Bikes book that was advertised in one of them.

Edited by RavenHawk

BTW... Revoltech is coming out with a line of figures and vehicles and I believe one of those is a transforming bike.

FF Cloud's bike seems cool, and I'm a big fan of Blassreiter, but for now I want to stick to transforming bikes. I know it seems like there is limited material, and, to be honest, I've collected a ton together already, but just posting it up will be a serious time commitment. I've got work, kids, other hobbies... in addition to this one unhealthy habit.

Do you have a link to the Revoltech stuff you mentioned?

Edited by RavenHawk

Just tackling stuff like BGC and Megazone could take up a fair amount of time.

I was kicking around the idea of a BGC fansite now that I've got all these old magazines and sh*t, but it's 2008 and no one gives a crap anymore, so... meh.

Well, my interests are really just in the bikes and mecha themselves, not the storylines (though I do enjoy the storylines as well... think I'm one of the few AD Police fans out there too).

If you wanted to do something together, I could handle the mecha side of it, and you could do wherever your interest may lay.

I think you should include Robocon, 8-Chan, and Gan-Gara-Gan-Chan. They should count as motorcycles.

I'm not familiar with those, but I'll google them. Any info you want to provide would be appreciated.

To start with, here's Robocon:

ga_38.jpg

Yikes.

By the way, Roger, I just watched some Tekkaman Blade. From now on, I read your name in the deep, robotic voice of Pegas.

Ravenhawk, I bet I can tell you about some transforming bikes that you've never seen before. Enough to keep your site going after you've run out of ideas.

Edited by danth

Weren't there a bunch of MicroMan transforming bikes too? Maybe that'd help -

Yeah, I think there were. I think those were some of the first things Shinji Aramaki designed, before working on MOSPEADA. I've done some google searches on them and haven't had lucking finding more than a list though.

Thanks.

Is this just bikes that turn into robots/armor, or would it include things like the Stormhawks sky rides?

My main interest (read: infatuation) is bikes that turn into robots and/or armor. However, I was planning on including bikes that change into anything, like Stormhawks, the animated Batman toy bikes that turn into hovercraft, etc., and I've put together a list of all the old M.A.S.K. bikes as well. It's all cool, but I do love the robots and armore best.

What abouy Cy-Kill *ducks out of forum as flying fruit is flung his way*

Cy-Kill... Scooter... Night Ranger...

Actually, have you seen the Transformers Transtech version of Cy-Kill? Pretty cool.

Yikes.

By the way, Roger, I just watched some Tekkaman Blade. From now on, I read your name in the deep, robotic voice of Pegas.

Ravenhawk, I bet I can tell you about some transforming bikes that you've never seen before. Enough to keep your site going after you've run out of ideas.

Transforming bikes I've never seen before? Please do. Anything you're willing to share with me for info on this, absolutely, please do!!!

Transforming bikes I've never seen before? Please do. Anything you're willing to share with me for info on this, absolutely, please do!!!

Gall Force has a transforming hoverbike designed by Shinji Aramaki's friend Hideki Kakinuma. It's called the Jet Blowgun.

Genesis Survivor Gaiarth features a hoverbike that transforms into an ostrich-like robot. You can see some tiny pictures here. Designed by Shinji Aramaki.

You probably already know about Moto-Bisar from Am Driver.

Gall Force has a transforming hoverbike designed by Shinji Aramaki's friend Hideki Kakinuma. It's called the Jet Blowgun.

Genesis Survivor Gaiarth features a hoverbike that transforms into an ostrich-like robot. You can see some tiny pictures here. Designed by Shinji Aramaki.

You probably already know about Moto-Bisar from Am Driver.

Yep, had all three of those already. Thanks though.

Ahh crap. Even from Gaiarth? You're good. Sorry about getting your hopes up.

Okay, what about Johnny from Chrono Trigger? Doesn't transform into armor, but still worth a mention.

Doesn't ring a bell. I'll take a look in the Animation Bikes book though. There are a bunch in there I intend to use, but don't remember the names at the moment.

Ok, here are the transforming/variable bikes that I am aware of right now. I split them up into a group that can be found in the Animation Bikes book, and then ones that I had found elsewhere already.

From Nandy’s Animation Bikes book:

- Genesis Climber MOSPEADA – MOSPEADA bikes turn into armor (pp. 24-25)

- Megazone 23 – Garland (p. 26), Hargun (p. 27)

- Megazone 23 Part II – Proto-Garland (p. 28), Garland GR-II (p. 28)

- Megazone 23 Part III – E=X Garland (p. 29)

- Bubblegum Crisis – Moto Slave (p. 30)

- Zillion – Tri-Charger (p. 32)

- Blue Comet SPT LAYZNER – Majin Hero WATARU (p. 36)

- Metal Armor DRAGONAR – Stark Gan-Dolla (p. 39)

- Wingman – Winard II (p.43)

- Galactic Gale Baxingar – Reppoon, Harricane & Typhoon, Others (pp, 46-47)

- Transformers 2010 – Wreck-Gar (p. 56)

- Machinerobo Revenge of Cronos – Bikerobo (Scooter, Police Bike, and Futuristic Bike also shown) (p. 56)

- Dead Heat – Makoto’s FX (FX, A FX, B FX, and C FX also shown) (p. 57)

- Mr. Muscleman – Bikeman (p. 62)

- Bubblegum Crash! – Moto Slave (p. 64)

- Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 – Moto Slave (p. 64)

- Scramblewars – Moto Slave (Garland also show) (p. 65)

- Armored Police METALJACK – Redsepter (p. 72)

- Energy Bomb GAMBARUGER – Gambarbike (p. 74)

- Matchless Passion GOSAURER – Saurerbike & Saurerside (p. 75)

- Brave Command DAGWON – Thunderbike (p. 75)

- Brave Police J-DECKER – Gunbike (5 other bikes that combine into 1 robot also shown) (p. 76)

- King of Braves GAOGAIGAR – Gundober (p. 77)

- Transformers: Beast Wars II – Simiicar (p. 83)

Other Sources:

- Blassreiter – Paladin

- Bubblegum Crisis and sequels – Moto Slaves (as mentioned above)

- Denjin Zaborger – Motorcycle that turns into robot

- Get Ride! AMDriver – Moto Bisar Griffon, Neoamdriver Ragna

- GoBots/Machinerobo – CyKill, Scooter, Night Ranger, Throttle

- Kamen Rider – Agito Tornader, Delta Side Basshar, Faiz Auto Vajin

- Maisto – Prodigy, Maximus, Quik, Res-Q, Arch, Cyk-One, Grip, Gas, Quikrip

- M.A.S.K. – Barracuda/Jackal, Bullet/Bandit, Buzzard, Condor, Detonator, Dynamo, Firecracker, Fireforce, Iguana, Piranha, T-Bob, Vampire

- Mecharider – Ripoff of Megazone 23 Garland

- Megazone 23 and sequels – Garland, Hargun, Proto-Garland, Army Garland

- Microman – Automaster, Cassette Machine MC-08 Battle Bike HG90, Hyper Speeder

- Misc. – Various assorted motorcycles that transform, all using same method, from eBay

- MOSPEADA – MOSPEADAs (various)

- Power Rangers – Several bikes that turn into armor

- Roadbots – Harley-Davidson FLHRC Racing Classic, Kawasaki Ninja ZX12R

- Robotech – Chariot, Cyclone (MOSPEADA)

- Transformers – Afterburner, Arcee (various versions), Ariel, Axer, Bumblebee (WWII motorcycle w/ sidecar), Chromia, Crossover General Grievous, Crossover Spiderman, Crossover Spiderman (black), Dirt Rocket, Double Face, Flamewar, Flareup, Groove (various versions), High Test, High Wire/Highwire (various versions), Iguanus, Nightbeat, Oil Slick, Override, Paradron Medic, Perceptor (various versions), Prowl (animated), Prowl (action blaster), Ransack (various versions), Rapid Run, Refugee, Road Pig, Road Rocket (various versions), Sideways (various versions),Sureshock (various versions), Thurst/Vehicon Drone (Best Machines), Wreck-Gar, probably some Minicons I’m missing too

- Vor-Tech – Battletracker, Roadheat

- Zillion – Tri-Charger

So you're not counting hover bikes then?

Anyway, that is a huge list. I can't wait to see this website.

If it's a bike that transforms into some sort of a hovering vehicle, then yes, I'm counting it. I forgot to add to that list the various Batman bikes, like the Robin Hovercycle, as well as the 2 recent GIJoe bikes that transform into hovercraft and the newer GIJoe BAT that transforms into a bike/quad. I guess you would include Storm Hawks with that too.

If you meant hoverbikes that turn into robots or armor, then I included all the ones I could think of. Which ones did I miss?

The two I mentioned earlier; the Jet Blowgun from Gall Force and the hoverbike/robo-bird from Genesis Survivor Gaiarth.

I thought the Gall Force one was one my list. Isn't it? I'm looking at my list now, and you're right, I don't see it on there. I'll add them tomorrow. I added about 30 more variable bikes from a half dozen shows today. I'll post up the new list tomorrow too.

Can you find me any links to the Genesis Survivor Gaiarth?

Just found some transforming bike designs in an insert in B-Club Magazine #116.

The series (comic? i think) is called All Terrain Command GONFALON and looks like it was written/created by Hideki Kakinuma (MOSPEADA, Gall Force) with mechanical designs by Junichi Akutu (Bubbegum Crisis, Macross II).

Most of the designs look like they're three-wheelers. I'd supply pictures, but no scanner here.

Just found some transforming bike designs in an insert in B-Club Magazine #116.

The series (comic? i think) is called All Terrain Command GONFALON and looks like it was written/created by Hideki Kakinuma (MOSPEADA, Gall Force) with mechanical designs by Junichi Akutu (Bubbegum Crisis, Macross II).

Most of the designs look like they're three-wheelers. I'd supply pictures, but no scanner here.

I'll try to find it. Thanks!

Most of my searching has been through anime and toys, haven't looked at much manga.

• 2 weeks later...

Added entries for Batman, Exo-Squad, G.I. Joe, Marvel Megamorphs, Power Rangers (a lot more than I was expecting), Storm Hawks, and Viper's Creed.

I'll post up the new list, if anyone is interested.