New macross saga based movie (Robotech Genesis)

I found this, if someone is still interested

Skull-2--S-XT.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, you risk your own life posting here because there is one in this forum who will be spitting poison at you for helping to keep this thread going. (You know who you are)

Taksraven

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, you risk your own life posting here because there is one in this forum who will be spitting poison at you for helping to keep this thread going. (You know who you are)

Taksraven

Actually, I think he's only spitting poison at YOU. The others who post in this thread seem to be spared any ire.

I have to say, though, that this thread makes me a little sad, in much the same way that the Dragonball Movie thread amkes me sad...most people are urinating all over the concept, while a few true believers are clinging to the vain hope that the end product might possibly be good.

Kinda sad, right?

Actually, I think he's only spitting poison at YOU. The others who post in this thread seem to be spared any ire.

I have to say, though, that this thread makes me a little sad, in much the same way that the Dragonball Movie thread amkes me sad...most people are urinating all over the concept, while a few true believers are clinging to the vain hope that the end product might possibly be good.

Kinda sad, right?

More typical rather than sad. Happens all the time. To say that SF/Fantasy and anime fans are nitpicky bastards is making a statement as revolutionary as "The sun rises in the east!".

Taksraven

• 1 year later...
So as well all know its RIP for this project.

Final thoughts anyone??

Whether or not the designs were great or not, its a shame their project had to be canceled by HG, Macek for sure. That probably took them a lot of work & effort to make all that footage. Must suck to put years into a project and have it canceled because of selfish people.

Whether or not the designs were great or not, its a shame their project had to be canceled by HG, Macek for sure. That probably took them a lot of work & effort to make all that footage. Must suck to put years into a project and have it canceled because of selfish people.

If we're going to point fingers over this, let's make bloody well sure we're pointing them at the right people. Word is that UEG got slapped down because they wanted to use the non-commercial Robotech Genesis project to promote their future commercially-exploitable work, and because they made unreasonable demands while trying to convince Harmony Gold to endorse their project. So, at the very least, Harmony Gold isn't the only party to blame here, if they can be blamed at all.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I believe I said this on this thread or another similar one... don't recall atm.

But if you have the talent to pull something like this off the ground, then you're wasting your time by making a glorified CG fanfic. Making something original is a better way to go :) . I would apply the same argument to Astro Plan, but in that case there is clearly no talent period :p .

So did this project ever generate anything more than a few unimpressive mock-up shots? Or are we making mountains out of molehills again?

It was apparently quite close to completion...at least, after a long period of silence, they were suddenly very active and vocal about the project.

So did this project ever generate anything more than a few unimpressive mock-up shots? Or are we making mountains out of molehills again?

Just a few days prior to receiving that cease and desist letter, their advertising account on RobotechX was proclaiming the first "episode" of the project was going to be complete and rolled out in about one month's time. Assuming that he wasn't giving an optimistic estimate, they were pretty close to having something tangible out there. Now, what actually got shown over those six years were a few entirely unimpressive stills of their ugly mechanical designs and two or three trailers that made the designs look even uglier than the stills.

If we're going to point fingers over this, let's make bloody well sure we're pointing them at the right people. Word is that UEG got slapped down because they wanted to use the non-commercial Robotech Genesis project to promote their future commercially-exploitable work, and because they made unreasonable demands while trying to convince Harmony Gold to endorse their project. So, at the very least, Harmony Gold isn't the only party to blame here, if they can be blamed at all.

Okay who the Hell are you and how did you hack Seto Kaiba's account here?, If I did not know any better,those look like something that MaverickLSC would write.

If that is you the real Seto,you should be ashamed of yourself for making a scapegoat excuse to justify HG's pathetic public and product relations skills.UEG said at memo's site that they were talking with Tommy and all is well then a week or so later the C&D.

I think they should have just shifted their work to a Macross fanfilm away from the original series long ago, since certain people have issues with a property with a name they created. It is the big reason why they and many other people out there liked the series so much to do projects to show their appreciation. BW, Bandai Visual, etc. probably would not have given a crap about it, especially the no profit part. They're doing just fine making their own money and would have welcomed it. Heck, they let Astro Plan go.

Edited by Einherjar

Okay who the Hell are you and how did you hack Seto Kaiba's account here?, If I did not know any better,those look like something that MaverickLSC would write.

If that is you the real Seto,you should be ashamed of yourself for making a scapegoat excuse to justify HG's pathetic public and product relations skills.UEG said at memo's site that they were talking with Tommy and all is well then a week or so later the C&D.

No, Seto's right here. Regardless of how you may feel, it's not "HG is wrong all the time! RAWR!" here. The truth of the situation should be found, and THEN you can pass judgment.

I know, I know...finding the facts BEFORE getting accusatory might be a new concept for you, but we'll do our best to cushion the shock a bit. :D

I think they should have just shifted their work to a Macross fanfilm away from the original series long ago, since certain people have issues with a property with a name they created. It is the big reason why they and many other people out there liked the series so much to do projects to show their appreciation. BW, Bandai Visual, etc. probably would not have given a crap about it, especially the no profit part. They're doing just fine making their own money and would have welcomed it. Heck, they let Astro Plan go.

Mmm...there's one problem with that. Alois Fisher, one of the UEG guys, is one of the super-hardcore Robotech-is-better-than-Macross-and-I'll-cut-out-your-intestines-and-stuff-them-down-your-throat-if-you-say-otherwise guys from Robotech Factor.

That said, he's also a really good artist.

Just a few days prior to receiving that cease and desist letter, their advertising account on RobotechX was proclaiming the first "episode" of the project was going to be complete and rolled out in about one month's time. Assuming that he wasn't giving an optimistic estimate, they were pretty close to having something tangible out there. Now, what actually got shown over those six years were a few entirely unimpressive stills of their ugly mechanical designs and two or three trailers that made the designs look even uglier than the stills.

Lots of promises and nothing to show for except some designs and ugly stills?

No wonder HG came down hard on these guys!

They were stealing the HG business model hook, line and sinker! :lol:

Pete

That's very unfortunate. Even though I doubt it would've been a quality project, UEG Productions must be feeling extemely disheartened after getting so close to their completion date. And for that, they have my sympathy.

In today's wired world, I'd suggest to anybody who's planning on creating a fan project based on an existing IP to first ask permission from the appropriate trademark/copyright holder(s). If you do get the ok, it'll be terrific to know that you can use the material without any fear of legal ramifications. If you never hear back from the trademark/copyright holder(s), then you might be able to use laches as a defense. And if the trademark/copyright holder(s) say no, at least you'll be able to save yourself the time and effort spent on the project.

It's a sad state of affairs where fans have to worry about legalities before starting up a non-profit project, but that's the world we now live in. I know some will point to Lucasfilm and Hasbro as examples of companies that are friendly to fan projects, but sadly, those companies are part of a dwindling minority.

That's very unfortunate. Even though I doubt it would've been a quality project, UEG Productions must be feeling extemely disheartened after getting so close to their completion date. And for that, they have my sympathy.

As I said earlier, while it's certainly unfortunate (for them) that UEG Productions were tripped up by Harmony Gold's legal department as close to the finish line as they were... my sympathy for their plight is diminished considerably by the news that they seem to have brought it on themselves by planning to use the project as a platform to promote their own original work for potential commercial exploitation, attaching unreasonable conditions to their negotiation with Harmony Gold, and spending the years before belittling the official products and badmouthing Harmony Gold's employees. It's like they were doing everything in their power to attract unfavorable attention to their project except leaving a bag of burning dog crap on Tommy's doorstep.

Now, think for a minute... if you were in Harmony Gold's shoes, would you want a group that spent the last six years or so telling everyone you don't know what you're doing, that you're an incompetent bellend, and that they know how to do your job better than you do demanding to retain full ownership of unauthorized derivatives of your licensed properties to use to promote their own products? No. Of course not.

Even Robotech fan projects don't have much to fear in terms of legal retribution, unless they start doing dumb crap like that.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Mmm...there's one problem with that. Alois Fisher, one of the UEG guys, is one of the super-hardcore Robotech-is-better-than-Macross-and-I'll-cut-out-your-intestines-and-stuff-them-down-your-throat-if-you-say-otherwise guys from Robotech Factor.

That said, he's also a really good artist.

Is he still a super hardcore supporter of all of this after being chewed out by the source?

Is he still a super hardcore supporter of all of this after being chewed out by the source?

Good question. But look at it this way...do you like Macross because of Macross, or do you like it because of Big West and Studio Nue? If Kawamori smirked at your hairstyle and slept with your wife, would you suddenly become a Robotech fan?

Just because the company making a product you like pulls a dick move (which, as Seto pointed out, may not have been such a dick move after all) doesn't mean you suddenly switch your allegiances...unless you're a little bit "off," that is. :)

Good question. But look at it this way...do you like Macross because of Macross, or do you like it because of Big West and Studio Nue? If Kawamori smirked at your hairstyle and slept with your wife, would you suddenly become a Robotech fan?

Just because the company making a product you like pulls a dick move (which, as Seto pointed out, may not have been such a dick move after all) doesn't mean you suddenly switch your allegiances...unless you're a little bit "off," that is. :)

I understand, it's just that "off" people seem to be common these days. And it had, supposedly, 5+ years of personal labor invested in it to be turned down, despite painstakingly reminding everyone about the intent for the whole thing. Especially with this franchise, that's enough time to make an honest evaluation of how things were going to go when others took the plunge before them for similar fan situations.

On the few occasions I've talked to Alois Fisher, I've always come away with the distinct impression that, rather that being rude and/or juvenile, he was genuinely unbalanced... so fanatically devoted to Robotech, and his belief in its inherent superiority to every other form of entertainment, that challenging his views in any way would see him descend into either frothy-mouthed ranting or threats of violence. Then again, a lot of the RobotechFactor crowd is like that... one time, one of their guys (WDKaiserV1) posted a public challenge, demanding that I drive to his home in Philly and fight him hand to hand in a nearby park.

Smart money says he still is... unless he's changed dramatically since last I saw him, he's got a rigid, literally-minded blind faith in Harmony Gold and their company line where his intellect ought to be.

UEG didn't seem that allfired upset about it... which I found kind of surprising. Their announcements read like they didn't really give a damn, and were moving on to their next project with all the emotion of someone replacing the batteries in his flashlight.

UEG didn't seem that allfired upset about it... which I found kind of surprising. Their announcements read like they didn't really give a damn, and were moving on to their next project with all the emotion of someone replacing the batteries in his flashlight.

I know that the announcement on rtx.com was edited by MEMO. Maybe they were coached into saying that to avoid additional trouble.