New macross saga based movie (Robotech Genesis)

Probably a better effort then what HG did with Shadow Chronicles, but seriously, ditch the Gundam music, higher a composer or something or remix the original robotech tracks into something that didn't suck like Battlecry and Invasion.

I'll give credit where credit is due for attempting something for so long as I'm doing something myself that'll be a large project.

Some people don't appreciate the work & effort put into a a fan project. However, I have to agree to those who had pointed out that the mecha doesn't fit the Macross universe. It looks to Gundam and I'm really not a fan of their mecha designs.

If you're going to do a fan-base movie stick with pre-existing mecha don't reinvent the wheel.

This looks more like an Alpha fighter

exclusive-2.jpg

Edited by kamikaze_kamujin

Looks more like an F-18 to me (nose, canopy, wings, tailfins, overall proportions). Nosegear is an F-18's turned 180. Wings are an F-18's with extra panel lines textured on (even the wingfold hinge fairing is still there). Nose isn't a direct copy, just very very "F-18ish".

Looks more like an F-18 to me (nose, canopy, wings, tailfins, overall proportions). Nosegear is an F-18's turned 180. Wings are an F-18's with extra panel lines textured on (even the wingfold hinge fairing is still there). Nose isn't a direct copy, just very very "F-18ish".

It's pretty bad looking. It's an F-18 model (wings and stabilizers are identical) with cliche "trying hard to be anime" parts strapped onto it and an elongated nose that is trying too hard to be a VF-1. If you are going to go through so much effort to make what otherwise looks like an amazing cel shaded production, I'd prefer they get some good mechanical design in as well.

Edited by ComicKaze

Wow, way to be jerks, guys. And people wonder why everyone hates MW. Regardless of your hating, this is pretty impressive for a fan effort, weird redesigns notwithstanding.

Meh. We are SF fans. It is our nature to be very critical of most things. (many people confuse criticism with hatred FAR too easily.) Who hates MW? NAME them. Is it the entire population of the world? I don't think so.

I would hate to be a brain-dead zombie who loves everything. As I said, the producers of this work should create truly original work of their own, then I would be more impressed.

Taksraven

The same way that good Photoshop colouring doesn't save a bad drawing in a comic, good visual effects (and I'll admit they have impressive visual effects) and a saturated colour palette doesn't save those crappy designs. They went from the very stylish yet realistic VF-1 to a collection of pieces you can find in an avant garde desktop light glued over a F-18.

If you ask me, they re-designed the Valk because they are hoping - as they say on their own website - to get funding from Harmony Gold to make it a full feature movie (instead of "changing the designs for the new millennium" bs they have there), in which case they wouldn't legally be able to use the VF-1 nor the Macross designs in an animation. But, darn, they could have done a better job.

And they HAD to use the Pegasus Death March from 'Storming New Caprica' in their trailer, dammit? <_<

Edited by Lindem Herz

If you ask me, they re-designed the Valk because they are hoping - as they say on their own website - to get funding from Harmony Gold to make it a full feature movie (instead of "changing the designs for the new millennium" bs they have there), in which case they wouldn't legally be able to use the VF-1 nor the Macross designs in an animation. But, darn, they could have done a better job.

I'm sure that HG would not care about muddying the canon and continuity any further.

Taksraven

Wow, way to be jerks, guys. And people wonder why everyone hates MW. Regardless of your hating, this is pretty impressive for a fan effort, weird redesigns notwithstanding.

Hello and welcome to the Internet.

That being said, I think the backgrounds and buildings seem really special, but the veritechs/mechs seem out of place with their textures. Reminds me of those generic 3D movies where they try to "jump out" at you. If they worked on those more it would "look" great. Don't yet see a "story" yet but I'll look more tomorrow.

I like this screenshot

b.600.400.16777215.0.ws.May03.jpg

I wonder which kind of battle that battloid is in

It looks really good now. A little red square in a white box. Greatly improved.

Taksraven

ok, does anyone care I update this topic or I just let it die? I mean, it's clear all those who doesnt like it and still read it,

but it seems other users are afraid of saying I like this or that without saying I dont like all these other things for fear to be rejected by others.

I post these last picture I found and if anyone wants more let me know

MPA-TypeIII.png

ok, does anyone care I update this topic or I just let it die? I mean, it's clear all those who doesnt like it and still read it,

but it seems other users are afraid of saying I like this or that without saying I dont like all these other things for fear to be rejected by others.

I post these last picture I found and if anyone wants more let me know

MPA-TypeIII.png

It looks like the recoil from one shot of that shoulder cannon would knock the whole unit over.

Taksraven

It looks like the recoil from one shot of that shoulder cannon would knock the whole unit over.

Taksraven

with that silly wing (?) hanging off it's back it looks like it would fall over even without the recoil.

And if you're going to put skirt armor on the thighs, why leave the actual hip joint exposed?

I'm impressed by the effort and scope of this project but these designs are pretty silly. Some decent ideas and base designs ruined by some silly accessories being tacked on.

I confess that I have a morbid curiosity about the project, mainly because the guys behind it were being such dicks about it. Two years ago, RDF-HQ was abuzz with constant posts from Nenad, Charmquark, and Khyron Prime (a.k.a. The Pie Guy) crowing about how awesome it was going to be.

Still waiting for the awesome.

And they can apply all the filters they want, but those mecha designs haven't gotten any better over the years. They look like they'd be great realized in LEGO but aside from the coloration they really don't evoke the original designs and they're all very similar to each other. Their Bioroids look like their Invid, their Valkyries look like their Alphas (I'm guessing that's the last one you posted), etc.

I'm impressed by the effort and scope of this project but these designs are pretty silly. Some decent ideas and base designs ruined by some silly accessories being tacked on.

You mean like those silly balls hanging off the back of the shoulders?

I think that this thread is pointless and is giving too much oxygen to this pointless project.

Taksraven

I think that this thread is pointless and is giving too much oxygen to this pointless project.

Taksraven

yup. and the rocket launchers being stapled on to every flat surface they could find.

Taksraven

But its a source of amusement as we tear this piece of tripe apart.

But its a source of amusement as we tear this piece of tripe apart.

True, but it feels like we are kicking em when they're down anyway. This crap is never going to fly so whats the point?

Killing this thread would be a mercy killing.

Taksraven

Ironic that you of all people are criticizing other people's 3D models.

It's not the 3D model, it's the design. The 3D model LOOKS awesome; hell, the whole project, as visual effects go, is very good looking for a fan effort.

But the designs are shite.

Think about it a little bit like this image: http://www.robotech.com/images/content/GIM_423_2_742.jpg

The colour work there is very nice, but not even all the filters in Photoshop are going to save that VF-1 from being drawn in an utterly frakked up way.

The same way, not even all the filters in After Effects are going to save these designs from being crappy.

What makes the Kawamori and Miyatake designs so bloody good is that, even while stylized, every piece of them has a function and they actually seem to work for that function, like real engineering in real life. If you have a big gun with a proportionally big recoil, either you put it on a big enough frame (like the Monster or the Nosjedaul) that will withstand the recoil or you put them on a swivelling appendix that won't totally destabilize the whole thing while recoiling (like on the Glaug or the Tomahawk arms) - you don't put it on the torso of a nimble frame that will make the whole thing fall back after the first shot. If you're going to go through the hassle of putting some manoeuvring sacrificing heavy armour on the mech, you place it to protect something like actually need protecting like a joint, not a simple dumb piece like a leg side. In a machine that will be shot up to hell and back, you try to keep the smallest profile possible to decrease the chances of being hit, not have lots of pieces of various sizes and shapes protruding from one part or another, just waiting to be hit by ricochet. And if you happen to put vital systems on those parts waiting to be shot at unless they necessarily have to be there (like the wings, which cannot act like wings unless they are wings), then that's just plain bad engineering.

These designs are not based on even semi-realistic engineering principles. They are based on the Rule of Cool. Which, for a realistic mecha design, can quite easily become the Rule of Suck (like what happened to Kawamori himself with the Sound Force Valkyries).

And I say that we keep updated on this thing. It's like a trainwreck - it is awful, but I cannot get my eyes off from it. We have to have something to complain about before the Frontier movie comes out, you know :lol:

Edited by Lindem Herz

Well, I don't think they look bad at all...they just more like For The Barrel, Gundam Evolve ep. 15, Gundam Wing, and Dorvack than like anything from Robotech.

In other words, they don't exactly get me excited to see the movie, but I don't think they're as awful as others are making them out to be.

But since I'll never actually sit down and WATCH the movie, this thread is really just pointless voyeurism for me, so my opinion probably doesn't matter much either way...unless they want a blurb for their website.

"GUBABA from MACROSSWORLD sez: 'The designs aren't atrocious!'" :p

I think Lindem Herz stated it well. Their modelling and animation is fine, but their designs are horrible and show no sense of engineering design principles. In my own designs everything has a purpose, there are no "hey would cool tacked on here" parts. If something is there it has a purpose. What is the purpose of those stupid balls on the shoulders, or the ridiculously huge guns or unneeded fins. Besides I think the whole of the production is tripe, it makes no sense to make, the designs are a mess, now the animation itself looks great for a fan production, almost better then Shadow Chronicles in some ways.