A Macross toy I would like to see

sharky

I've recently been getting into Star Wars toys. The new line of figures are really well made with lots of articulation and very good sculpts IMO. I started to wonder why no one has come out with a new line of Macross action figures. It's been so long since the really horrible action figures of the past. You know the ones that were also branded Robotech and were released through Matchbox and HG. I think the only thing that comes close are the CMs type of figures, but these are by no means "action" figures.

I really wish someone would create a series of Macross action figures made in the same way as the new Star Wars figures. As long as I am dreaming, it would be cool if they made a large Valkyrie for the 3 3/4 scale figures (aka 1:18 scale).

The problem I see is that most Japanese toy companies would make a 1:18 scale valk ridiculously expense with tons of detail, gimmicks, and metal. I think that a transformable valkryie may be easier to make in 1:18 because the parts would be bigger and you could probably get away with more plastic components that used to be metal before due to the size to strength ratio. The bigger and thicker a part could be, the easier it would be to design a sturdy plastic component.

Heck I would even settle for a non-transforming valk. If it was non-transforming I don't see why it couldn't be in the $100 price range. I see a lot of cool 1:18 military toy airplanes, jets, and helicopters that are less then $100. The figures could easily be made for a $7 price point as well.

What do you guys think? I'm I being unrealistic, and would a series of toys like this have a strong fan support.

Personally I think the Yamato 1/48 model is almost the largest size a transformable toy can get - or, the size of PG Zeta Gundam (which is around the same range in size).

When you make it bigger, there are joints which might not able to withstand the weight and break easily. 1/18 means 70cm in battroid mode, and it will very probably become an expensive and fragile toy. B))

I dunno, I'm a mechanical engineer and it seems like it would be possible to do it and not be crazy expensive. When I say crazy expensive I mean something that would be over $500. As you scale things up you can redesign components to be strong with internal ribbing and reinforcement designed into the injection molded parts. So, you maintain a minimal wall thickness to be sturdy yet they may not have to be so heavy. You may still need some metal for critical joints that will be key supports, but I'm thinking that you would have really no metal anywhere else. Perhaps you lose some articulation in the legs in order to ensure a sturdy design.

My point before is that most Japanese companies would be out to make it super detailed and articulated which would make it heavy and expensive. What I am proposing would be more like a Matchbox toy, but with a decent sculpt and in proportion. Essentially, a decent sculpt, but not a crazy amount of articulation, metal, and gimmicks as we have seen in toys like the Yamatos.

You may have a point as there are a ton of details I am probably overlooking. At the very least, a non-transforming toy would definitely be possible.

I think once, you have a series of action figures, you're going to need something for them to do. You mean they're just going to sit around with no vehicles? C'mon, part of the fun of action figures is to put them in vehicles and such. :D

Edited by sharky

The VF-1 is way too big to have a 1/18 scale toy. No one would be able to put that thing anywhere. Don't get me wrong, it'd be really cool to see but I can't imagine enough households would have a spot for it ot make it worth the effort.

It would be big, but no bigger than some other toys. For example, take the new Millennium Falcon toy. It's advertised to be over 2 1/2 feet(30 inches) long. A VF-1 is stated as 14.23 meters long (about 560.23 inches) in fighter mode according to Mr. March's mecha manual website. In 1/18 scale that would be 31.12 inches or just over 2 1/2 feet like the Falcon.

Another good comparison is the 21st Century Toys 1/18 scale F-104 starfighter. This fighter is stated to be 16.66 meters long (about 655.90 inches). At 1/18 scale it is about 36.44 inches or about 3 feet long. This toy is more like what I was thinking about. Just make it a VF-1 and include a nice figure of Hikaru, Roy, Max, or whomever.

F-104 toy

http://actionheroes.homestead.com/reviewst...dtwentyone.html

I agree that a transforming toy is much more difficult to design and manufacture at a competitive price, but I definitely think a non-transforming toy is easily possible.

The VF-1 is way too big to have a 1/18 scale toy. No one would be able to put that thing anywhere. Don't get me wrong, it'd be really cool to see but I can't imagine enough households would have a spot for it ot make it worth the effort.

It would just be another good reason to throw the wife out :)

Pete

Now your just being silly. :p But, didn't someone make a full scale mock up of an X-wing IIRC.

wel if they make some crap Gundams in 1/1 scale then i want VF-1S :p

In the past when I've brought this idea up it was shot down due to the fact that Macross is considered a mech first type of show so the logic is manufacturers don't want to production character figures. But I think the success of the CMS line has proven that line of logic incorrect.

In the past when I've brought this idea up it was shot down due to the fact that Macross is considered a mech first type of show so the logic is manufacturers don't want to production character figures. But I think the success of the CMS line has proven that line of logic incorrect.

That's odd that people would say that because compared to other anime Macross seems very character oriented. I mean look at Macross Frontier. Compare the screen time of the main characters vs the mecha. I think that would settle the debate.

I think that the Japanese for some reason just aren't into action figures so much. Off the top of my head I can't even recall any Japanese action figures in the traditional 3 3/4 genre from any anime of recent history.

A 1/18 scale Valkyrie from a Japanese company will cost an arm and a leg. It won't matter if it's transformable or not. Material cost won't help. Add in the fact that such a large toy would have very limited appeal in Japan, we may be talking about a $3000 "toy".

A 1/12 scale Gundam (and a Zaku IIRC) was actually released alittle while back and it cost about $3000 (not including shipping). And that was more of display piece than a toy (since few things actually moved on that). And that's for a simple blocky RX-78!

Edited by Vifam7

That 1/12 scale Zaku is way bigger than a 1/18 scale valkyrie. That Zaku proves my point about going overboard. When you examine how that Zaku is scaled and actually constructed I am not surprised at the cost. I'm sure that it was also a very limited production as well. I'm not even saying that a Japanese company has to do it, but it would seem like if it was going to happen a Japanese company would. Actually, I was thinking if HG licensed Robocrap to a company like Blue Box(aka Elite Force) or 21st Century toys they could do a non-transforming toy for a reasonable price point.

Look at this F/A-18 for sale on ebay for $200, and that's not even the original retail price. It was priced around $80 brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/-F%2FA-18C-Hornet--1:1...bayphotohosting

While most of the Robotech 1:18 scale figures were pretty bad, there are a couple I'd highly recommend - which would be both the small and large Armored Zentraedi soldier figures. (Although the large Zentraedi figure is closer to 1/72 scale, I think.) I'm also partial to the large Dolza figure, perhaps because its not possible to make the big old Gorg any uglier.

And while the body sculpts of the rest of the figure are awkward an inelegant (to put it as charitably as possible), Matchbox did seem to try to make their general details as accurate as possible. Lesa Hayes' suit and helmet are accurate to the unique designs seen in her excursions during the show. Same with the rest of the Macross crew & their weapons. Stick their helmets on them and they're passable. Not anywhere as nice as the CMs series of figures, but neat little baubles if picked up cheaply enough.

While I'd love to see Macross stuff in 1/18th, I can personally vouch for the weak joints argument. I tried to make a 1/18th VF-1S with Legos, and failed utterly because the thing was just too heavy to support itself. The arms barely held their own weight, and there's no way any normal lego joint was gonna hold the hips. (did make a very nice aircraft though :)).

Granted, that was legos, and I'm sure a regular plastic Valk would probably not need to hold up 5 lbs of heavy upper body. :lol: But the joints are still going to be an issue, and they're going to have to be very bulky and heavy to support the weight that thing would put on them. You could probably get away with a Chunky Monkey style with limited joints, but then what's the point? Gerwalk is probably the hardest to do... you have to support the entire thing on the knee joint.

Sadly as much fun as it would be, it's just not very realistic.

On the other hand though, the 1/18 planes seem to be falling out of favor in stores.. what I keep seeing are 1/32 WWII Warbirds. While that's still not action figure sized, I'd love to see 1/32 scale Macross stuff, even if it wasn't transformable. It'd go great next to my 1/32 F-22. ^_^

i'd pay buckets of cash Figma Macross figs :)

they've got spot-on likenesses, excellent materials & accessories.

the 1/18 Valk sounds cool. they could in theory, build one like the super large HY2M Gundams.

the hugeness & weight can be solved by clever engineering, material use & placement. they did it with the Jumbo Grade Zeta.

it can be done. the only question is who really wants to build it.

the only thing you'd have to worry about is the pricetag :o

imagine the cost of one of those HY2M's but doubled or tripled because of the PT, gimmicks & pilot figure!

and that's just for the basic Valk! what of the horror the FP's will bing? :lol:

I've always absolutely despised those little 3-4 inch Star wars and GI Joe toys. they were always ugly, poorly articulated, and all the little guns and crap they came with were always getting lost.

I don't see the apeal of tiny figures or GIANT valks.

the toy's would be rather blagh, and the Valks would either be cheaply made, poorly detailed, and non transforming. or they would easily end up being over $1000. and where are you going to put something like that?

the scale cap on any valk is probebly about 1/32 any bigger and it's going to be over 2 feet and absolutely ridiculousness.

I'd rather everything was about a foot tall or so. 1/48th valks and 1/6th scale figures.

Speaking of big-scale Valks:

Anyone remember those 6 foot tall fiberglass Valk/Veri statues that Toynami was selling, of which one was offered as a drawing prize in ToyFare?

Did those ever make it into production? Anyone see one first-hand, or know anyone (other than George S) who owns one?

Edited by AcroRay

I just had to quote this for the sake of immaturity.

You like what I did there? :p

I've always absolutely despised those little 3-4 inch Star wars and GI Joe toys. they were always ugly, poorly articulated, and all the little guns and crap they came with were always getting lost.

I don't see the apeal of tiny figures or GIANT valks.

the toy's would be rather blagh, and the Valks would either be cheaply made, poorly detailed, and non transforming. or they would easily end up being over $1000. and where are you going to put something like that?

the scale cap on any valk is probebly about 1/32 any bigger and it's going to be over 2 feet and absolutely ridiculousness.

I'd rather everything was about a foot tall or so. 1/48th valks and 1/6th scale figures.

Have you seen the newest line of Star Wars and GI Joe figures? These are not the same figures I had when I was a kid. Even the ones from a few years ago seem pale in comparison to the newest ones. The GI Joe figures are also entirely new. Compare these new ones to the old ones and you will see the difference.

Take a look at this Biker Scout figure as one example

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/...kerscoutart.jpg

You're telling me that's not cool figure with full articulation with ball hinges on many joints.

Here's a good pic of the evolution of the Luke Skywalker Bespin figure. You can see that the last one is articulated in a similar fashion as the Biker Scout

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/...0Day%20|%20VTSC

Here's a GI Joe. Destro never looked this good when I was a kid.

http://www.hasbro.com/objects/products/ima...eader:%20DESTRO

Edit: Correction. Upon further review I need to restate that I want Figma figures for Macross. Wow! Why haven't I seen these before? Those are the coolest anime figures I've seen in a long time. Can someone tell me how tall these figures are? What do the typically cost?

Edited by sharky

Upon further review I need to restate that I want Figma figures for Macross. Wow! Why haven't I seen these before? Those are the coolest anime figures I've seen in a long time. Can someone tell me how tall these figures are? What do the typically cost?

they're about a head shorter than the Revy Frauleins. i'd say about 1/12 scale

link

:)

EDIT:

a noteworthy feature of figmas is the clever use rubber parts. it's something you have to see in person. very cool.

Edited by UN_MARINE

Yeah i've got only one figma (ikki tousen long black haired chick), she's one tight little piece! :p

OT but here's some Revy revoltech action....

Not only can she pilot Q-Rau,

gallery_3118_46_1526369.jpg

but also look good in homeless bum Jedi robes and a light saber! :lol:

IMG_74321.jpg

and why not, bit of Mospeada action as well!

Gotta love Revy. She's pure sex.

med_gallery_3118_46_2322782.jpg

I say keep the toys as toys...no more than 12" to 14".... something that can be held and played with...and most importantly...to be an action figure, the item must be totally poseable.

I say come up with better joint system that will help hold and support limbs...and stay tight. I think size does not matter.

(that's what she said)

Perfect grade gundams are great and so are the DX toys. I would sacrafice screen accuracy for excellent poses.

As a kid I was intrigued by the the 80s Centurions...the armor idea. I was just blow away by the 1/48 GBPS and fast packs. And now I am totally enjoying the Jin Roh 12" figures with their poseability and accessories! One can sit down with these yamato toys and spend hours tinkering and posing.