1/72 Resin Pilots

PetarB

I'm gauging interest and input for a 1/72 collection of Macross figures. Previously I've done Star-Wars only pilots, which seemed to be quite successful, and got an 8 out of 10 review on Starship Modeler (thanks OneZero!). I've learnt a lot more since then in terms of production, and I'm wrapping up a project which will be finally released shortly (more detail here for those interested) and am gearing up for something for the Xmas break.

I've already started work on one Macross figure and am looking for what else people would want. One - or two - of the figures will definitely be a Macross TV male pilot, to fit the Hasegawa VF-1 valks, to replace the DYRL version. At this stage, there will be 5 individuals. I should have some pics in a few days of progress so far.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT: This project is finished, and ready to buy, if you're interested. The rest of this thread contains a work in progress, but if you just want to skip to the ordering, hit the images below.

banner_male_pilots.jpg

banner_female_pilots.jpg

Head on over to Studio Starforge for details on ordering.

Edited by PetarB

Well im sure the Diorama types would snap up ones that are standing etc.

Properly sculpted ones would be great. I'd love a Minmay for my Vf1 D and some figures for my Moscato kits would be great.

Any figures in 1/72 will be great. Right now I only have the modern pilots and deck crew by Verlinden. I think can start to release the figures that were released by Wave in 1/72. They only have them in 1/100 and 1/144. Then people can set up their diorama especially now some of us already bought the factory walls and the Valkyrie launch arm. And people can fit the figures into the world of Moscato release. I will definitely buying anything figures that you are going to release.

I like the idea of Macross pilots, copilots and some crew members TV as DYRL and game editions. there isn't really any done well in the past with the exception of the Hasegawa armament set.

I'm in for some TV-style pilots. :)

Same I would prob buy about 10 TV-style Pilots! With and without Space masks so make that a total of about 20 :D

Destroid Pilots would also be wishful thinking of you as well. We have never had a TV-Destroid pilot 8) And Johns destorids are ripe for them.

Carl

John has been talking about a New Cats-Eye. and you cant have DYRL or Any other kind of Pilot in a Cats-eye, because it was only in the TV. I figure. With Hase VF that I would like to do and Johns Cats-eye, and johns Copter. thats easy 10 pilots for TV Version. Then I need Backups for other projects. :lol:

Edited by Ranger565

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for some references for the back of the TV VF-1 Pilot uniform. If anyone has any illustrations or screencaps I'd be grateful.

There's two types of TV pilots you can sculpt. There's the ones for athmosphere and there's the 0-G type. Atmosphere ones have no chin guard, and no backpack. And the collar is out. 0-G has the chin guard, visor closed, backpack and the collars tucked in.

There's two types of TV pilots you can sculpt. There's the ones for athmosphere and there's the 0-G type. Atmosphere ones have no chin guard, and no backpack. And the collar is out. 0-G has the chin guard, visor closed, backpack and the collars tucked in.

EXO is Correct. I have Images, Just stuck where I cant get to them. I will have black & white scans and Color for you when I get home.

The plan has always been to do at least one of each - atmospheric and space. I am looking forwards to seeing those scan, because I know the uniforms have backpacks of some description, I just can't find a decent shot.

Meanwhile, here's Misa in development, with another pic to give you a sense of scale. Photography at this scale is always a challenge for me - I think I need a new camera.

MisaWIP1.jpgMisaWIP2.jpg

The plan has always been to do at least one of each - atmospheric and space. I am looking forwards to seeing those scan, because I know the uniforms have backpacks of some description, I just can't find a decent shot.

Meanwhile, here's Misa in development, with another pic to give you a sense of scale. Photography at this scale is always a challenge for me - I think I need a new camera.

MisaWIP1.jpgMisaWIP2.jpg

OMG! DUDE! Pics are on the way! Petar do you realize that you just sold prob 1000 figs 8)

Ok here is the pics! I have a bunch so bare with me. I also took pics so you could see colors of the Uniforms.

I will serch for more ground crew tonight. I wanted to get these uploaded first. As you can see I got the color and the pics for the Destroid pilots as well. Hope this helps and I will start getting the other pics now.

Carl

post-1578-1226731417_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731615_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731636_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731658_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731675_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731695_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731717_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731747_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731766_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731797_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731852_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731883_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1226731907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ranger565

Wow that helps a lot... I could have sworn there was a backpack on the Valkyrie pilot... maybe it was the space version. In anyway thanks for the pics, I'd forgotten what the destroid pilot looks like - I've saved them all for future reference.

Great glad they are helping. I also wanted to post that the others on the board can reference the colors to the uniforms. Guys If you need any pic of something just let me know.

The one area on this board that we dont have is a Reference section that we can all look into if we ever needed a idea of how something looked :lol:

Wow that helps a lot... I could have sworn there was a backpack on the Valkyrie pilot... maybe it was the space version. In anyway thanks for the pics, I'd forgotten what the destroid pilot looks like - I've saved them all for future reference.

Yeah, only the space pilots have the backpacks.

I'm so jealous of the detail you get, I saw your Star Wars stuff at the MN forums and I knew you'd end up making macross ones. I'm currently making 1/48 figures for myself and I can appreciate any detail you get at 1/72.

Add my wishes - that Misa looks great! Could you have one of her sitting, as when she and Hikaru are outside the Grand Canon in his valkyrie. I want to do a dio of that!

And how much were thinking as to price? And will you be selling them in bunches, half a dozen for however much?

Well, its the end of the weekend here. I've got a TV-style Atmospheric pilot mostly done. Misa needs to be assembled. I will be doing a couple a week for the next 3-4 weeks, so we should end up with the following sets.

1 x Macross Male Set (2 x Atmospheric pilot, 2 x Space pilot, 2 x standing pilot figures).

1 x Macross Female Set (2 x Atmospheric pilot, 2 x Female Officer/Civilian Space pilot, 1 x Misa standing (uniform), x 1 x Misa standing (flightsuit)

So that's a total of 7 individual sculpts. They will also come with a small decal sheet. Costs will probably be similar to other pilot sets at studiostarforge.com

If these go well, I will do some Destroid pilots, but let's take one step at a time. I was thinking of doing some of these for myself anyway. For me, because of the scale, its very, very easy to screw these things up. They can take a long time, as I dont have the luxury of using Bondo or similar quick-setting putties, I have to sculpt, then wait until the next day for the epoxy clay-type material to properly set before I add detail, or machine it etc... it can be frustrating. Sometimes, I discard version before starting again. But ulitimately very rewarding as I do enjoy the process. Too tired to take pics now of progress I've just made, and I wont get a chance to until next weekend, but expect a nice juicy update then! Thanks to many of you who have been in contact with me about the possibility of these over the past couple of months, I hope to justify your interest!

Edited by PetarB