Left 4 Dead

Ladic

left4deadwindowscoverpk9.jpg

Left 4 Dead is an upcoming multiplayer co-operative survival horror first-person shooter game by Valve Corporation. The game has been built using Valve's Source engine and will be available on Steam and the Xbox 360.

Left 4 Dead pits four human playable or AI controlled survivors of an apocalyptic pandemic against hordes of aggressive "Infected" in a cinematic backdrop in which the players "star" as each character in a fictional movie (eg. No Mercy.) The Survivors' goal is to help each other make it through various scenarios to safety. The Infected are controlled by an AI that dynamically balances difficulty and mood depending on the players' progress and situation. In an alternate game mode, human players can control up to four mutated Boss Infected with special abilities and cooperate to stop the Survivor players.

The expected release date for Left 4 Dead is November 18, 2008 in the United States and November 21, 2008 in Europe to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the release of Half-Life.[5][6] A five-minute trailer was released on Halloween.[7] A public demo was released on November 6 for pre-purchasers and was released for the general public on November 11 for both systems. The demo contains the first two out of five maps of the "No Mercy" campaign and is playable in both single player and multi-player.

I downloaded the demo yesterday on steam and was playing the online multiplayer, and boy was it hella fun.

Played the demo in single player and online with two other people. Had quite a bit of fun with it, and I'm intending on buying the full game.

First time I played the single player, I jumped at least twice from things jumping at me out of the blue. I liked that. Watching the zombie horde run towards you is definitely a cool moment. Having one during its run collapse at your feet from a bullet to the head is even cooler.

It takes a little bit to get used to the pace. It seems to move *too* fast. The crouch button helps here. I don't know what the full game is like, but so far, I'd like if the normal run speed was a little slower. You have to be careful though, because running too far ahead of your team pretty much guarantees you'll be tongue-lasso'd and dragged away to your death without a fellow player able to save you.

I'm also hoping ammo's a little more scarce in the real game, because it feels awful plentiful here. Surprisingly the normal handgun's no slouch either. The AI Director, one of the selling points, is no lie. The demo is completely different each time you play. Granted this is the demo, and only the first two levels if that. I like what it's promising overall.

I'm reading on the gamefaqs boards that there's some jerks teamkilling in a lot of games, which totally defeats the point. This has the potential to be a little more of a private game than I'd like. They're also complaining that the game is overpriced and the graphics aren't too great. I think the graphics are fine, especially because I had no noticeable chugging for all the enemies it was throwing on screen at once and online to boot. If the rest of the game turns out to be just as polished as the demo, it bodes well for full purchase price. I'm hoping for lots of DLC.

why not both? If not then it depends on what you like better, first person shooters or third person shooters. It also depends on your mood, do you want to just jump in and kill a bunch of zombies? Or do you wanna hack and slash some locusts? All depends on you. I recommend both. ^_^

I finished 3 of the 4 environments so far. The AI partners are quite smart and way better at aiming that I am. I was too lazy to read the instructions and I later found out I can throw gas tanks and fuel canisters before blowing them up (I was waiting for the zombies to get near them before that). Playing at the hardest level is probably the way to go for co-op. It's definitely worth buying if you have a bunch of friends and you like to play co-op over and over again with them (I'm moving on to Mirror's Edge and Red Alert 3 after this one).

I'll probably have it reviewed by next week; my PS3 & Xbox 360 reviews:

http://www.loopydetails.com/index.php?/DVDs-Games/

Edited by D_Unit

There's 3 different things in the game that you can pick up, throw, and shoot. The propane tank(short white and round), the gas tank(red and rectangular), *and* the oxygen tank(green and long). The propane tank blows up instantly, but the O2 tank doesn't explode right away(the first time you shoot it, you'll think you missed) and is more powerful than the propane blast.

I played some more sessions, and had a great time in every one of them. Team work is essential if you want to finish an evacuation level. If one of your team mates dies, it makes it much harder for you. I've been heckling my one online friend because he wouldn't come off the tippy top of the hospital to come down and save anyone. The real funny thing is that I was right, if he had come down and saved me and the other player on occassion, we probably would have made it to the end.

I think my favorite evacuation level is the one in Death Toll. I just like seeing everything from a distance flocking to your location, and the run to the boat is never easy. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...