New RED DWARF in 2009!

taksraven

Looks like another trip is planned for the smegheads soon. After years of planning a big-budget/big-screen adventure for the crew it looks like those plans came to nothing and now there is a return to TV:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...ats-971254.html

Personally, I am not too interested. Some people would say that the show went off the boil after the breakup of the Grant Naylor partnership, but I personally think that it was ALL those years trapped on Starbug that wrecked it for me. (That plus Rimmer going, Kochanski joining, and the Cat NEVER being given enough to do, a criminally underused character).

I would have a look but I would not be expecting much. I would only be impressed if they decided after all this time to give the series a proper conclusion but I doubt that would happen.

Taksraven

Personally it was when the show got a big budget. Time and time again, I've seen well written, great shows go down the tubes simply because they get the budget to do the first idea that pops into their heads. It should be par for the course that it's the revisions to the first idea that make for greatness.

(...) but I personally think that it was ALL those years trapped on Starbug that wrecked it for me. (...)

Taksraven

I haven't seen the show in years, so my memory of it is not that fresh, but i think series 1 to 3 or 4 were the best, then it kind of went down hill when they brought back the entire crew of the Red Dwarf in the last 2 series.

i'm on the fence about a new season, i love the idea of more red dwarf, but didn't like the direction the last two seasons went. I didn't mind kochanski as eye candy though, definitely pleasant to watch in her tight outfits.

Edited by emajnthis

i'm on the fence about a new season, i love the idea of more red dwarf, but didn't like the direction the last two seasons went. I didn't mind kochanski as eye candy though, definitely pleasant to watch in her tight outfits.

too bad she's like 10 years older now.

While certainly in the twilight years of the series, and no where near the cerebral-ness of the early years, series VIII still had some funny moments. Such as the time when Kryten smuggled in some "wicked strength illegeal hooch" into Rimmer and Lister's prison cell... when said two humans were on probation and couldn't be caught breaking any rules. The hilarity that ensued had tears streaming out of my eyes when I saw it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, for better or for worse, here we go. The three new special episodes entitled Red Dwarf: Return to Earth are being broadcast in the UK over the Easter weekend........

Broadcast-large.jpg

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/library/red-dwarf/r...opsis-revealed/

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Yeah, it just wasn't Red Dwarfy without the laughtrack. As I sat here watching it, it was very obviously missing. As for the show itself... engh. At best, engh.

I would describe the new show as a shambles, but an entertaining shambles. Then again, that's what Red Dwarf always was. Some people really look at past seasons of this show through rose-coloured glasses.

Taksraven

Why?

Why are they doing this?

I was a fan of 'Red Dwarf' when I saw the first two seasons... Great stuff! But, after that, it turned sour.

The female 'Holly' (Or Hilly, as the case may be), and Cryton? Ace Rimmer?? Add to that, losing the 'Dwarf' for so long,and being stuck on that ridiculous 'StarBug'...

I'm sorry... the later seasons really done it in, for me... I really have no hope for anything more...

I suppose I should be fair, tho...

The guy that played Cryton (For the life of me, I can't remember his name), was good, and Danny John Jules (Cat, Dwane Dibbly) was excellent.

I actually enjoyed the Starbug episodes. Quite entertaining and a nice change of pace.

It would have been ok for one season, but they dragged it out for at least three, didn't they. The lack of Holly in a new show was a distinct weakness, as well as the new eyecandy (can't even remember her name). I think Cat had more lines in the first new episode than he did for the entire original run of the series. (always a criminally underused character)

Taksraven

Just watched the first episode and I was surprised i did actually like it it has the feel of the older series with some tidy ups helped along via a better budget.

I didn't miss the canned laughter as this is one thing in comedies I really hate. I something is funny I don't need to be told when to laugh.

I will have to see the other two before I make full judgement though.

I didn't miss the canned laughter as this is one thing in comedies I really hate. I something is funny I don't need to be told when to laugh.

I'd like to see a show with a wildly inappropriate laugh track.

Either one totally mistimed so the laughter comes during not-funny parts and is silent during funny parts, or a laugh track applied to a serious drama.

I'm special with the bunny ears.

*makes finger quotes in the air*

And damn you all.

The Rimmer Song is stuck in my head now.

I HATE YOU!

Note to the makers of these new episodes. Since it is RD it should be made with the international market in mind, BUT, many of us living outside Britain do not get or care about bloody CORRIE!

The Corrie stuff annoyed me more than the Blade Runner stuff.

Taksraven

• 1 month later...
Note to the makers of these new episodes. Since it is RD it should be made with the international market in mind, BUT, many of us living outside Britain do not get or care about bloody CORRIE!

The Corrie stuff annoyed me more than the Blade Runner stuff.

Taksraven

[rant mode]

I feel your anger most of the U.K couldnt give a dead dingo about Corrie. I have lost count of the ammount of people who arrange their lives around that waste of air time. That and the people that actually talk about it as if it were real and they were actually there. Eastenders is just as bad by the way. I cant help think that people who see this syndicated on other networks must think A: the U.K is dull and full of moaning people who have afairs and bury people under patio's or B: it has no ethinc diversity as you only ever have the token coloured family living on the street/close or what ever it is.

Ive been to these places (Manchester, the Eastend etc) they are anything but. They are some of the most diverse places in the country, not this mono race hell hole depicted in the soap dramas, I use the word drama loosely as they are far from dramatic.

My friends misses is Polish and she says that Eastenders is popular in Poland. Gods only know why, she hates it, luckly for her so does my friend.

[/rant mode]

Notes to writers:

Writers of Soaps, we dont care about your street/close or whatever. We all secretly hope it will burn down killing all the residents.

Writers of comedy, we dont need your silly laughter track to point out the funny bits.

Writers of Sci Fi, dont use technobable to describe something when you dont know how to show it in a scientfic way, we can smell your lack of knowledge, like sharks smell blood.

Edited by big F

• 3 years later...

Love this little graphic from Wikipedia showing the timeline of the run of this program. I think few shows have had such a convoluted and mixed up run with the same cast as what RD has.

3cf4b47f34fcd21006fd1f58ccc7ac0c.png

My way of thinking has changed when it comes to this show. Personally now, I don't care if they keep making it forever, in fact, I would enjoy that. It is a great program even with it's abundant weaknesses. Its just shambolic fun.

I've been watching RD since the beginning. I'm surprised by the big 4 year gap between series VI and VII. Interesting enough this is where the series i think started going off the rails for me. Though i seem to be in the small minority that loves series VIII.

Nope! I loved the prison episodes, and killcrazy was hilarious!