Macross Frontier DVD subtitles Project

Xeros

That doesn't exactly word, since in episode 25, Luca (under NUNS) called Ozma Tai-sho (Which in my sub is translated as Major) and then Ozma scolded him and called him 'Skull-3' and then Luca (SMS) now calls him Kanchou--- which, taken together with Ozma's past in the NUNS makes me think that he retired/took an honourable discharge as a Major in the NUNS and holds the rank of Captain in the SMS.

I have never seen kanchou as a specific military rank, neither in imperial japanese or modern japanese. Kanchou is an honorific.

Another good example is the anime "Irresponsible Captain Tyler" (Musekinin Kanchou Tyler). In that show his rank was lieutenant, then later lieutenant commander. But throughout the show he was referred to as the kanchou of Soyokaze.

I don't remember Ozma being called kanchou, but I could've missed it. He has been called two titles, shousa (rank) and tai-cho (honorific). Shousa usually translates to major, where tai-cho literally translates to "Team Senior." Tai-sho is general or admiral.

I can't remember if tai-cho turns out to be a rank in the imperial or modern system, but I don't think it is.

Edited by OptimusX

I have never seen kanchou as a specific military rank, neither in imperial japanese or modern japanese. Kanchou is an honorific.

Another good example is the anime "Irresponsible Captain Tyler" (Musekinin Kanchou Tyler). In that show his rank was lieutenant, then later lieutenant commander. But throughout the show he was referred to as the kanchou of Soyokaze.

I don't remember Ozma being called kanchou, but I could've missed it. He has been called two titles, shousa (rank) and tai-cho (honorific). Shousa usually translates to major, where tai-cho literally translates to "Team Senior." Tai-sho is general or admiral.

I can't remember if tai-cho turns out to be a rank in the imperial or modern system, but I don't think it is.

Hmm gotta rewatch those episodes then. But I distinctly remember that Ozma was called two different ranks.

Hmm gotta rewatch those episodes then. But I distinctly remember that Ozma was called two different ranks.

You're right, he kinda was^^ Shousa is his military rank of major, tai-cho is "Team Leader," which is kind of an honorific.

In feudal times tai-cho was the leader of a military platoon. Like Kanchou, taicho is often translated as captain or commander, but isn't a rank in the imperial or modern japanese military.

• 2 months later...

Has been a while, but here I left you the long method patch for the DVD's 1 and 2 of Macross Frontier

http://rapidshare.com/files/219139348/Macr...er_DVD_1_V3.exe

http://rapidshare.com/files/219139350/Macr..._DVD_2_V1.1.exe

The reason for a new version of the DVD 1 is that I have several feedback from boinger concerning the songs translations. Looking on the web, I remember http://gabrielarobin.com/ and I ask mike_s_6 (MW member and webmaster of the mentioned website) for the translations that appear there, and he told me that those translations are submitted by fans, and he suggest me to visit http://www.animelyrics.com/

I went there and I found the translations, but again those are also "fan made". After a little chat via PM with boinger I decided to use the translations of that website.

My reasons

1.- We'll never have the "official translations" for the Lyrics nor the show itself, we only count with the goodwill of the fans.

2.- To my understanding, http://www.animelyrics.com/ looks like a community dedicated to song translations. Even if the lyrics didn't make sense to us, why nobody has corrected them?

Anyway, if any of you have a better translation for any song, I suggest to put them in that website and I'll be glad to fix the subtitles again.

That doesn't exactly word, since in episode 25, Luca (under NUNS) called Ozma Tai-sho (Which in my sub is translated as Major) and then Ozma scolded him and called him 'Skull-3' and then Luca (SMS) now calls him Kanchou--- which, taken together with Ozma's past in the NUNS makes me think that he retired/took an honourable discharge as a Major in the NUNS and holds the rank of Captain in the SMS.

Actually when the VF-25S Appeared Luca muttered "Ozma-Shousa" when he was trying to get Klan's damaged power armor, Then Ozma says "Bakamono, Taichou to yobe, Skull-3" which translates to "Stupid, Call me Squadron/Team Leader, Skull-3" implying that even though Luca is flying a different plane in a different group, he still belongs to the skull squadron ^_^

In Macross, Hikaru was always called Taichou by Max and Kakizaki even though at the time he was a "shou-i" (2nd Lieutenant) or "chu-i" (1st Lieutenant). In Paradise Lost (Macross Ep #20) Hikaru tells Max to stop calling him Taichou when Max was assigned to a different squadron. By Episode #24 (Goodbye Girl), Max calls Hikaru as "Ichijo-chuii"

:)

I dunno, as far as song translations are concerned I haven't been a fan of many of the ones online, it looks like some of the subbed ones ended up being a it better, but that's possibly just my opinion.

As far as Romanizations, they're always tricky as hell, especially when the Japanese creators come up with severl different versions, or versions that simply can't be pronounced right in english or are more or less inaccurate compared to what they probably should be.

if I can add one opinion though, It'd be to change Brera to either Blera or Brela. I say that because Brera is phonetically a bitch to pronounce in English and pretty much sounds awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone finally seeded it, and 2 days later. I have it downloaded. So, is the long way to do this the only way for downloaded .iso files of the dvd? And downloading all those extra programs?

Someone finally seeded it, and 2 days later. I have it downloaded. So, is the long way to do this the only way for downloaded .iso files of the dvd? And downloading all those extra programs?

adding subs to an existing DVD video is not an easy one click process, but Xeros's "long method sub patches" should give you the step by step instructions of getting everything done.

Actually the process is very simple if you use the Icarus software like in Macross 7 DVD Subs, that's is a one click process but in the case of Macross F I decided to use the "long method" because the majority of people here has the originals DVD's and duplicate the original iso file for the patch is impossible.

Anyway the long method is not too way difficult and I think I provided all the additional software necessary for the process

BTW, I already have all the DVD's but I'm short on time to do the merged scripts (I do not touch the file since April's 13)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...