Another 3D VF-1S

Horatio Positronic

I've been working on another 3D VF-1S. I'm pretty much done with the modeling and just starting on the texturing.

The first image is about where I'm at now. I've divided my model up into a bunch of texture regions, but haven't really done anything but put colors on them so I can see which shader is which at a glance.

post-7229-1225730129_thumb.jpg

The second image is just a quick render with a texture map I made in about 5 minutes to make sure I was doing it right.

post-7229-1225730150_thumb.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do, but I'll keep you guys posted!

wow sweet! damn i'm jealous you already have a pilot. I most be working really slow.

what program did you use to make it?

Also just wondering is the circle valve thing modeled in? or is it textured?

love the missiles as well i think i will re-enlarge mine now they seem too small

Love to see more of it. keep it up!

wow sweet! damn i'm jealous you already have a pilot. I most be working really slow.

what program did you use to make it?

Also just wondering is the circle valve thing modeled in? or is it textured?

love the missiles as well i think i will re-enlarge mine now they seem too small

Love to see more of it. keep it up!

Don't be too jealous of my pilot, it is very blocky and is mostly just there to give the impression of somebody in the cockpit.

I've been doing my modeling in Maya Complete 6.0. I can't afford a more recent version. :(

The circle things (which are supposed to be combination cold gas thrusters/cable attach points) are modeled. I decided pretty early in the modeling that I didn't want them to just be textures because of what they're supposed to do.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm still hard at work on the texturing and pretty far from the final renders.

ahh yeah i wish i modeled them in. now if you look at my VF-1A from certain views it looks really flat.

Oh cool another Maya user if you need any help or anything at all you can ask, well i don't know too much but i manage.

What animation do you have planned? I could give you some reference pictures that i used if it will help

Some more progress tonight. Still have a long way to go. I've been mostly making sure I have the panel lines and livery in the right place. Once that's done I'll start weathering and working on bump maps and whatnot.

post-7229-1225949223_thumb.jpg

It looks very good but...it looks like a very good cg model for toy. Maybe it was your goal, but I would add some realism

What's the poly count?

Edited by SeminNV

Hey Horatio Positronic, your VF-1S is coming a long really good. I like what i see so far

as for reference pictures i used most of mine from Macross Mecha Manual

also i found these useful as well

a 1/60 scale i think

2634395736_2a4f828dc0_o.jpg

Thanks boinger

VF1X_decal_placement.jpg

It's of a VF-1S super strike valkyrie, you can see a lot of the detail on it. But, some you can't as well because of the extra parts

I have this file in a 3MB format 3766 x 3232 resolution. i'll gladly send this to you, but i don't know how to send a 3MB file on this

hase_blueprint.jpg

Found this on cgtalk

post-5-1096331837.jpg

hope those help

Edited by Lapis

It looks very good but...it looks like a very good cg model for toy. Maybe it was your goal, but I would add some realism

What's the poly count?

So far I'm just sorting out where everything goes on the texture map. Once that's done I start adding the details that make it look realistic. I still have a lot to do before that.

The model is about 40,000 faces.

Edit: Thanks Lapis! Those images will be a big help!

Edited by Horatio Positronic

Been workin' on the Valk some more, so I have more progress shots. I'm still focusing on getting all the panel lines in the right place and building those as a reference for the weathered detailed version. Think of this like a base coat.

First is a 3/4ths view.

post-7229-1226375913_thumb.jpg

Here's the pilot's control panel. Note the bits that don't line up correctly, and parts where the text is upside down and backwords. Still workin' on that.

post-7229-1226375942_thumb.jpg

My blocky low detail Roy Focker.

post-7229-1226375954_thumb.jpg

Ventral view where you can actually see into the intakes.

post-7229-1226375965_thumb.jpg

Aft view.

post-7229-1226375973_thumb.jpg

I'd love comments and suggestions. Remember that I haven't even started on what will be the final texture, or the bump map or any of that fancy stuff. Hopefully I should be starting on that soon.

Can't wait to see the final result! (with bump mapping etc)

Incidentally, how many polys are those missile individually? I was just curious if you'd allow the use of those in gaming? Credited to you only of course...

I think the answers to your questions are both "I'm not sure". If I had to guess I'd say they were in the ballpark of 350 polys each. Of all of the parts of my model I'm currently least happy with the missiles, so I don't know if I'd want them showing up in more stuff. My renders mostly hide the bits I don't like.

Speaking of renders, here's a new one! Bonus sneak peak at the background I'm working on!

post-7229-1227278719_thumb.jpg

I think the answers to your questions are both "I'm not sure". If I had to guess I'd say they were in the ballpark of 350 polys each. Of all of the parts of my model I'm currently least happy with the missiles, so I don't know if I'd want them showing up in more stuff. My renders mostly hide the bits I don't like.

Speaking of renders, here's a new one! Bonus sneak peak at the background I'm working on!

post-7229-1227278719_thumb.jpg

Looks cool!

What are you modeling in?

I guess I'm getting pretty close to done with this image. Any final ideas or things I might be missing would be great to know about.

With the notable exception of the original design of the Valkyrie, none of this is borrowed. The background is even a composite of 4 or 5 photos I took myself. As such I'll probably be posting this in the wallpaper thread (with a small watermark on the bottom), but aside from that please don't borrow it and repost it elsewhere. At least not without asking.

Thanks!

post-7229-1227563257_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...